Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

A Little Sumpin' Wild - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' WildA Little Sumpin' Wild

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian IPA |  8.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: femALEist on 04-28-2010

Fermented with the Westmalle yeast strain

72.51 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Wild Alström Bros
Reviews: 934 | Hads: 3,514
2.28/5  rDev -44.4%

poured into a snifter

fairly strongly carbonated at first, the larger bubbles soon become tiny ones. orangish color and a decent sized head. pretty decent lacing. piny hoppy smell that is typical of west coast ipas. slightly hoppy with hints of belgian spice and a slight alcohol burn to it. very dry with a strong aftertaste. definitely bitter. it's like someone spiked an ipa with some belgian spices by accident. the flavor is rather strange. mouthfeel is light with a weird aftertaste. i find this beer to be very weird. I'm not a fan of what is going on here.

2.49/5  rDev -39.3%

Pours a light orange, clear with a big, light tan head with really good retention and lace.
Smell is odd for the style, very hippy with a light lemon note. Like standing in a lumber mill, the smell is that medicinal resin note. No malt detected.
Taste is very similar, hops and grapefruit with malt very light and late.
A warming at the swallow and the hops presence drops as fast as the beer down your throat. A relatively full body and a sharp effervescence up front. Aftertaste has some balance but still hop biased.
I suspect this brewer, like a few others (Rogue), hop heavier for the style than I think appropriate. If so, good to know ahead of time. Overall, though, its a good beer if a bit off style.

2.56/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pours a clear light orange. Big off-white foam head.

Smells strongly of spices, weird belgian yeast, and some sickly bananas. Some yeast also.

Taste introduces some light citrus (sweet grapefruit) notes to the yeast/spices/banana notes. Okay ... kind of weird. Like an IPA meets hefeweizen yeasty Belgian thang.

Well carbonated. But, primarily unpleasant.

2.61/5  rDev -36.3%

A: This has a striking clarity. Bright and clear orange. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Nice lacing as well.
S: Typical Lagunitas. Big grapefruit, citrus, and resiny pine hops. That is it.
T: Follows the nose. Tons of grapefruit bitterness, citrus, and resin. Dank, musky, kind of perfume like hops. Isn't this suppose to be a Belgian Strong Ale?
M/D: A medium body and fairly low on the carbonation. Lightly syrupy, slick and soapy as well. Lots of bitterness, and plenty of burning alcohol makes this hard to sip on. I am struggling to finish the bomber.

Fermented with Westmalle yeast according to the label, but there is nothing Belgian or Wild to this one. Just a standard DIPA, and pretty much standard Lagunitas as well. Hop heads rejoice, everyone else move on.

2.61/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a hazy orange-gold color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into a small cap of lacing. The aroma is of rotten grapefruit, rotten oranges, and pine. It is not an appealing aroma. The taste is hoppy with the same rotten quality of the aroma. I can't detect anything remotely wild/sour in this beer. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, this is a pretty bad beer. If this truly is a wild ale then it is way too hoppy to let the wild ale qualities come through. As is it tastes like a poorly crafted DIPA. I will not drink this beer again.

2.61/5  rDev -36.3%

A: Pours into a snifter a clear orange color, very slight head with a little laced down the glass.
S: I swear every beer from Lagunitas i've had smell the same. Earthy/grasslike hop scent. Thats about it.
T: Small bit of sweetness up front followed by purfumey/grass hop bitterness at the end. I'm not picking up anything resembling Belgian yeast.
M: Medium bodied, finishes very dry....pucker you up dry.
D: I usually like Lagunitas beers but this one did not impress me. For me this is an average at best beer...probably won't want to try this one again.

2.75/5  rDev -32.9%

Had this on tap last night before the Ben Folds concert in Pittsburgh. I am a fan of Lagunitas so I was glad to see this on tap, as I have never had this before. I was expecting something a little funky, but nothing too crazy for being a Lagunitas beer. I drank this beer as fast I could to get it over with and move on to the next:

A: Pours a very clear light gold (almost yellow) with a thin, spritzy white head. Not much to look at as it looks like a crystal clear Cream Ale.

S: Pale, bready malts, light toasted cereal (Cheerios), hints of Belgian spices, but that is a stretch. Really, not much going on in this one. A bit grassy perhaps as well.

T: Bland, watery, grainy. For being almost 9ABV I would have expected enough malt was packed in here to give a nice flavor. At least some flavor. This was very bland and watery. Reminded me of a Cream Ale with a touch of Belgian yeast. No funk at all. Very plain.

Overall, I would not recommend this beer. It was a huge disappointment. From now on I will stick to Lagunitas's IPAs and Strong Ales.

2.86/5  rDev -30.2%

Served on tap into a snifter at the Lagunita's Tasting Room

A- Pours a clear dark amber color with a one finger frothy head that leaves lots of lacing

S- Smells very sweet, very sweet grape aroma

T- Very sweet and malty, such a strong funky grape flavor, and a hop presence, but not much else

M- Full, creamy mouthfeel

O- This beer was just too sweet and one dimensional for me. It reminded me of a much less hopped Hop Stoopid that I had on tap right before this.

2.86/5  rDev -30.2%

Little Sumpin' Wild has a rusty hued golden body with a healthy white head. Retention and lacing are both above average for this one, and it has the look of a pretty good beer.

The aroma mixes a strong hop character with strong yeast scents, giving you fruity aromas from both and peppery phenolic scents from the yeast.

I'm convinced that Lagunitas and I just cannot play nicely together. I understand why this beer is well-regarded, as it is interesting. But Damnit, I just don't like it that much. The aroma and the flavor are close; clove and pepper with a bit of bubble gum from the yeast via with the hop flavors for dominance. The hops provide a big fruity flavor and a high level of bitterness. The effect of the two mingling reminds me a lot of some concoction that set out to make a bitter-tasting version of juicy fruit gum. Light malt lingers in the background, providing a general sweetness to the beer.

The body is a little heavier than average, but the carbonation is pretty lively. Together the two attributes work pretty well.

Even as I wrote this review, I was thinking to myself "the way I'm describing this beer makes it sound pretty good." In fact, it probably is a pretty good beer, but I struggled to finish my glass and just did not particulary enjoy it. The good appearance and feel of this beer probably make its score a little higher than it otherwise would be, but in this case I think it shows that this is a well-made beer, so the score can stay where it is.

2.9/5  rDev -29.3%

22oz bottle. Pours a clear straw yellow with a medium white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is earthy yeast with some resiny minty hops and some slightly rotten fruit.

The flavor is bready malts, with some slightly rotten bananas and a little spice and some bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, I would call this a Belgian IPA. Similar to others, I just do not like these - there are some weird notes that I can't describe well. This reminded me some of Bruery's Mischief, but not as bad. I was bummed - I was hoping for a sour.

3.01/5  rDev -26.6%

A- Pours a pretty clear golden color with nice white head. Head has pretty good retention and leaves some nice spotty lacing.

S- Smells of a good amount of yeast and a bit of hops. A bit of a peppery spice comes in too.

T- I thought this one was pretty boring in the flavour. A bit of fruity flavours here and quite a bit of yeast. I don't know but I'm not digging the yeasty brews lately.

M- Medium in both body and carbonation if not a bit on the lighter side.

D- I thought this one was pretty boring and probably something that I wouldn't seek out again. I was hoping for more....oh well.

3.02/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bottle from Harvest Market
Pours a fairly clear light golden color with a huge fluffy bone white head that persists forever. Smells of lemon and spice with a bit of pepper, grass, hay, and earth. Light bready wheat malt pulls it altogether. The flavor is quite resinous with grass hay citrus and pine. Light pepper and yeasty phenols with a hint of light sugar. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a slick resinous almost chalky mouthfeel. Meh. too many contrasting flavors for my palette. The yeasty phenols and the resinous hop treatment are left unchecked by too light of a malty base. This didn't work for me.

3.06/5  rDev -25.4%

This is a boring, one-dimensional beer that tastes pretty much like a lot of the other Lagunitas beer (most of which, in fact, all taste to me like slightly different variations of the same thing, some more successful or characterful than others, but some of which I find really taste almost identical). In fact, it is very, very, very similar to the Little Sumpin Sumpin and I am able to detect nothing Belgian, or in fact different at all, underneath the grapefruity hop, which overpowers all.

Bright pale golden amber, medium big off-white head slowly shrinking to foamy ring and wisps, with a little bit of lace. It looks pretty good.

Aroma is very flowery grapefruit, hint of candied citrus and hitn of old bubblegum (maybe the one hint of Belgian yeast coming through after a fashion?). There is absolutely nothing else, and the flowery grapefruit pretty much is the whole show, as is the case with most Lagunitas beers.

Taste is also like most other Lagunitas beers and the aroma, candied bittersweet grapefruit with the faintest hint of grain and other general citrus. There is a very faint hint of juicy yeastiness (again, the Beglian element trying to make itself known? Perhaps, but really trying to add to the character is a battle it simply cannot win). Candied grapefruit sweetness just barely dominated by spicy-sharp grapefruit bitterness. One dimensional dud.

3.07/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I'm close minded so take that into account. Can't get over the Belgian yeast taste. Have to focus with each sip or get a gag reflex. Otherwise not bad.

3.08/5  rDev -24.9%

A: pours light straw. good half-inch of white head, reducing to a quarter after a couple of minutes, with good thick lacing.

S: thick sweetness.

T: sour-bitter, but light. residual sweetness and sourness.

M: slightly thick and sweet, lingers a bit on the tongue.

D: moderate. a bit too bitter, especially residually in the mouth.

3.1/5  rDev -24.4%

A: Pours a clear gold/amber with 2 fingers of lacy, white head that dissipates slowly. Moderate carbonation and pretty good lacing trickles down the side of the glass.

N: Highly aromatic nose. Orange, lemon, barnyard, caramel and a little bubblegum.

T: Highly bitter with a citrus bouquet upfront consisting of grapefruit, lemon and orange zest. There's also some bubblegum and some strange grainy cereal malts. The bitter citrus and (maybe wheaty?) grains travel through until the finish along with floral notes and candy sugar. A good barnyard funk is also very present.

M: Light-medium bodied, heavily bitter, sticky and dry.

O: I believe that each and every one of the 72.51 IBUs that Lagunitas claims is present. Highly bitter brew with citrus notes and a nice blanket of funk. The only drawback is that the malts, or lack thereof, create an unpleasant graininess as a backbone. The high IBUs hide the 9.4% abv nicely.

3.14/5  rDev -23.4%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A: A soft pour leads to a perfectly golden body, slightly hazy, with about a finger and a half of tight, white foamy head. Leaves really awesome rings of lacing.

S: Sweet malts, grapefruit and citrus, some floral notes and pine, slight dank herbal quality. Smells sweet and reminds me of an older DIPA.

T: As I expected from the nose, this tastes like an old DIPA, albeit a bit more complex with belgian esters. Lots of caramel through out, alcohol is fairly noticeable and not always in a pleasant way. The light Belgian esters are a bit spicy and floral with grape skin and ripe fruit and adds a nice dimension. If it wasn't for it, this probably won't be very drinkable. Finish is just slightly bitter with a lot of staling hops.

M: Medium to slightly full body (seems thicker than any actual BPSA I can remember), moderate to slightly low carbonation (per style). A bit sticky, fairly crisp and refreshing.

O: I bought this despite being unsure of how old it was because it was categorized as a BSPA. I think Belgian DIPA would make much more sense. This is very much a hop-forward beer with a sizeable sweet malt base and Belgian yeast character. Fresh, I can see this being a really good beer. However with age, the aggressive hopping leaves too much stale and faded flavor. This might be the most confusing bottle I've purchased. Label says "Wild Ale", BA/brewer actual categorization is BSPA, tastes like a Belgian DIPA. I'd by this fresh, but forget about aging it.

I normally wouldn't review an old DIPA, but considering it's called a BSPA (which should be fairly cellarable) and they don't date the bottles, I'm throwing this review up. If you want to make sure I drink your product as intended, DATE THE DAMNED BOTTLE (and categorize it better...)

3.2/5  rDev -22%

Served from 22oz bomber, San Francisco, CA.

A: Medium dark golden. One finger thick white head (nice). Lacing holds up until the bottom of the glass.

S: Smells like pineapple to me. That's it. Pineapple, no hint of hop flavor in my nose. Disappointing, but could be just my bad nose.

T: Taste as it smelled: pineapple all the way through. I taste the bitterness of the hops but I can't think of any specific hop. The Pineapple takes over too much for me.

M: Medium body, but not too sweet in any bad ways. The medium -high carbonation helps.

D: Not for me. I am having a hard time finishing up the 22 oz. Not that it is bad. Just not what I had expected.

Overall: I was looking for trying this one as I really like the Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale ... but nothing like it. I was hoping for more floral-type hoppiness in this one, and I felt left down...no hop for me, just pineapple (pineapple taste from hop?). I like pineapple, but not so much in beer. Still a very decent beer. Is this supposed to be a Belgian yeast strain? If so, not as floral as I would have expected (good). Good beer for me, but perhaps not in a 22 oz bottle.

3.2/5  rDev -22%

This beer is similar to other Lagunitas offerings in the Pale Ale segment. It pours a caramel color but falls short to it's Maximus in the areas of flavor and hoppiness. It is not a bad tasting beer, but it fails to stand out.

I fail to understand its place in the Lagunitas portfolio.

A - Perfectly clear golden color, sudsy 1 finger head. Decent lacing

S - Hoppy smells of pine and citrus

T - Bitter pine hops right up front, rounded off by just a tiny bit of caramel sweetness. A little bit of a medicinal taste creeps in here as well

M - Moderately prickly carbonation, good mouthfeel. Alcohol is really hard to find, even given the high ABV

O - The medicinal quality in the taste is a bit off putting, but not a bad beer by any means, just not my favorite

3.21/5  rDev -21.7%

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear deep golden color with a two finger white head, some lace is left behind.

Smell- Citrus hops and a very faint yeastyness.

Taste- This is not what I was expecting. Really it just tastes like a dull IPA. Getting the slightest notion of the belgian yeast, but that seems to just be retracting from the hop presence, not adding any complexities.

Mouthfeel- light to medium body, smooth going down.

Overall- This has a decent flavor, but as far as being a Belgian Style "Anything" it certainly is not. The ABV's are hid nicely so at least I can get this down quick, and on to the next one!

3.21/5  rDev -21.7%

A= The pour produces a nice yellow color typical of the Lil' Sumpin series. The difference is the initial head is huge. About four fingers before falling to a nice three fingers high and staying steady. The lacing is excellent.

S= At first I thought I got a good wiff of some bubblegum when I was pulling the bottle away from the glass but this just smells like piney hops. A lot like a lil sumpin. I guess the hops dominate everything.

T= The taste is again very very hoppy but you can tell they used a different yeast on it. It has a little more body to it as well as a little more depth in the taste. There is a little more than just hops going on here. There is a little bubblegum as well as a slight tang that I can only describe as a Belgian yeast tang.

M= Just like any IPA... A little carbonation only this has a little heavier body.

D= Not bad at all. I dunno if I would go out of my way to seek this out though. It's really not that much different. Good but not that much different. My rating is based on a BPA

3.23/5  rDev -21.2%

This is an interesting strong pale ale. The strong hops combination provides intense floral characteristics and gives a flavor of fresh tar with a little skunkiness. This pungent flavor lingers in the mouth for good amount of time. There is only a little bit of sweetness to this beer. This is definitely a beer you have to be in to mood for, as the flavors can seem a bit overwhelming.

3.23/5  rDev -21.2%

Golden amber with a white two finger head of foam. Good retention and lacing. Smells of citrus and floral hops with pepper and pale malts for sweetness.

The first thing I tasted was citrus and floral hops with pepper. After a while the pale malt flavor starts to come out, but the hops are dominant. There is some sweetness , but the bitterness overpowers it.

Medium bodied and smooth with average carbonation. The aftertaste is bitter. I think this beer is too bitter for its style, but not a bad effort.

3.24/5  rDev -21%

Very odd wild flavor...nothing is too distinguishable enough to get a true sense of the brew. Good, not great, drinkable for the abv but my taste buds aren't that impressed. Uneventful as a Belgian IPA or wild ale

A Little Sumpin' Wild from Lagunitas Brewing Company