A Little Sumpin' Wild - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian IPA |  8.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: femALEist on 04-28-2010

Fermented with the Westmalle yeast strain

72.51 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Wild Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,495 | Reviews: 958
2.9/5  rDev -29.3%

22oz bottle. Pours a clear straw yellow with a medium white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is earthy yeast with some resiny minty hops and some slightly rotten fruit.

The flavor is bready malts, with some slightly rotten bananas and a little spice and some bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, I would call this a Belgian IPA. Similar to others, I just do not like these - there are some weird notes that I can't describe well. This reminded me some of Bruery's Mischief, but not as bad. I was bummed - I was hoping for a sour.

3.01/5  rDev -26.6%

A- Pours a pretty clear golden color with nice white head. Head has pretty good retention and leaves some nice spotty lacing.

S- Smells of a good amount of yeast and a bit of hops. A bit of a peppery spice comes in too.

T- I thought this one was pretty boring in the flavour. A bit of fruity flavours here and quite a bit of yeast. I don't know but I'm not digging the yeasty brews lately.

M- Medium in both body and carbonation if not a bit on the lighter side.

D- I thought this one was pretty boring and probably something that I wouldn't seek out again. I was hoping for more....oh well.

3.02/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bottle from Harvest Market
Pours a fairly clear light golden color with a huge fluffy bone white head that persists forever. Smells of lemon and spice with a bit of pepper, grass, hay, and earth. Light bready wheat malt pulls it altogether. The flavor is quite resinous with grass hay citrus and pine. Light pepper and yeasty phenols with a hint of light sugar. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a slick resinous almost chalky mouthfeel. Meh. too many contrasting flavors for my palette. The yeasty phenols and the resinous hop treatment are left unchecked by too light of a malty base. This didn't work for me.

3.06/5  rDev -25.4%

This is a boring, one-dimensional beer that tastes pretty much like a lot of the other Lagunitas beer (most of which, in fact, all taste to me like slightly different variations of the same thing, some more successful or characterful than others, but some of which I find really taste almost identical). In fact, it is very, very, very similar to the Little Sumpin Sumpin and I am able to detect nothing Belgian, or in fact different at all, underneath the grapefruity hop, which overpowers all.

Bright pale golden amber, medium big off-white head slowly shrinking to foamy ring and wisps, with a little bit of lace. It looks pretty good.

Aroma is very flowery grapefruit, hint of candied citrus and hitn of old bubblegum (maybe the one hint of Belgian yeast coming through after a fashion?). There is absolutely nothing else, and the flowery grapefruit pretty much is the whole show, as is the case with most Lagunitas beers.

Taste is also like most other Lagunitas beers and the aroma, candied bittersweet grapefruit with the faintest hint of grain and other general citrus. There is a very faint hint of juicy yeastiness (again, the Beglian element trying to make itself known? Perhaps, but really trying to add to the character is a battle it simply cannot win). Candied grapefruit sweetness just barely dominated by spicy-sharp grapefruit bitterness. One dimensional dud.

3.07/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I'm close minded so take that into account. Can't get over the Belgian yeast taste. Have to focus with each sip or get a gag reflex. Otherwise not bad.

3.08/5  rDev -24.9%

A: pours light straw. good half-inch of white head, reducing to a quarter after a couple of minutes, with good thick lacing.

S: thick sweetness.

T: sour-bitter, but light. residual sweetness and sourness.

M: slightly thick and sweet, lingers a bit on the tongue.

D: moderate. a bit too bitter, especially residually in the mouth.

3.1/5  rDev -24.4%

A: Pours a clear gold/amber with 2 fingers of lacy, white head that dissipates slowly. Moderate carbonation and pretty good lacing trickles down the side of the glass.

N: Highly aromatic nose. Orange, lemon, barnyard, caramel and a little bubblegum.

T: Highly bitter with a citrus bouquet upfront consisting of grapefruit, lemon and orange zest. There's also some bubblegum and some strange grainy cereal malts. The bitter citrus and (maybe wheaty?) grains travel through until the finish along with floral notes and candy sugar. A good barnyard funk is also very present.

M: Light-medium bodied, heavily bitter, sticky and dry.

O: I believe that each and every one of the 72.51 IBUs that Lagunitas claims is present. Highly bitter brew with citrus notes and a nice blanket of funk. The only drawback is that the malts, or lack thereof, create an unpleasant graininess as a backbone. The high IBUs hide the 9.4% abv nicely.

3.14/5  rDev -23.4%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A: A soft pour leads to a perfectly golden body, slightly hazy, with about a finger and a half of tight, white foamy head. Leaves really awesome rings of lacing.

S: Sweet malts, grapefruit and citrus, some floral notes and pine, slight dank herbal quality. Smells sweet and reminds me of an older DIPA.

T: As I expected from the nose, this tastes like an old DIPA, albeit a bit more complex with belgian esters. Lots of caramel through out, alcohol is fairly noticeable and not always in a pleasant way. The light Belgian esters are a bit spicy and floral with grape skin and ripe fruit and adds a nice dimension. If it wasn't for it, this probably won't be very drinkable. Finish is just slightly bitter with a lot of staling hops.

M: Medium to slightly full body (seems thicker than any actual BPSA I can remember), moderate to slightly low carbonation (per style). A bit sticky, fairly crisp and refreshing.

O: I bought this despite being unsure of how old it was because it was categorized as a BSPA. I think Belgian DIPA would make much more sense. This is very much a hop-forward beer with a sizeable sweet malt base and Belgian yeast character. Fresh, I can see this being a really good beer. However with age, the aggressive hopping leaves too much stale and faded flavor. This might be the most confusing bottle I've purchased. Label says "Wild Ale", BA/brewer actual categorization is BSPA, tastes like a Belgian DIPA. I'd by this fresh, but forget about aging it.

I normally wouldn't review an old DIPA, but considering it's called a BSPA (which should be fairly cellarable) and they don't date the bottles, I'm throwing this review up. If you want to make sure I drink your product as intended, DATE THE DAMNED BOTTLE (and categorize it better...)

3.2/5  rDev -22%

Served from 22oz bomber, San Francisco, CA.

A: Medium dark golden. One finger thick white head (nice). Lacing holds up until the bottom of the glass.

S: Smells like pineapple to me. That's it. Pineapple, no hint of hop flavor in my nose. Disappointing, but could be just my bad nose.

T: Taste as it smelled: pineapple all the way through. I taste the bitterness of the hops but I can't think of any specific hop. The Pineapple takes over too much for me.

M: Medium body, but not too sweet in any bad ways. The medium -high carbonation helps.

D: Not for me. I am having a hard time finishing up the 22 oz. Not that it is bad. Just not what I had expected.

Overall: I was looking for trying this one as I really like the Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale ... but nothing like it. I was hoping for more floral-type hoppiness in this one, and I felt left down...no hop for me, just pineapple (pineapple taste from hop?). I like pineapple, but not so much in beer. Still a very decent beer. Is this supposed to be a Belgian yeast strain? If so, not as floral as I would have expected (good). Good beer for me, but perhaps not in a 22 oz bottle.

3.2/5  rDev -22%

This beer is similar to other Lagunitas offerings in the Pale Ale segment. It pours a caramel color but falls short to it's Maximus in the areas of flavor and hoppiness. It is not a bad tasting beer, but it fails to stand out.

I fail to understand its place in the Lagunitas portfolio.

A - Perfectly clear golden color, sudsy 1 finger head. Decent lacing

S - Hoppy smells of pine and citrus

T - Bitter pine hops right up front, rounded off by just a tiny bit of caramel sweetness. A little bit of a medicinal taste creeps in here as well

M - Moderately prickly carbonation, good mouthfeel. Alcohol is really hard to find, even given the high ABV

O - The medicinal quality in the taste is a bit off putting, but not a bad beer by any means, just not my favorite

3.21/5  rDev -21.7%

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear deep golden color with a two finger white head, some lace is left behind.

Smell- Citrus hops and a very faint yeastyness.

Taste- This is not what I was expecting. Really it just tastes like a dull IPA. Getting the slightest notion of the belgian yeast, but that seems to just be retracting from the hop presence, not adding any complexities.

Mouthfeel- light to medium body, smooth going down.

Overall- This has a decent flavor, but as far as being a Belgian Style "Anything" it certainly is not. The ABV's are hid nicely so at least I can get this down quick, and on to the next one!

3.21/5  rDev -21.7%

A= The pour produces a nice yellow color typical of the Lil' Sumpin series. The difference is the initial head is huge. About four fingers before falling to a nice three fingers high and staying steady. The lacing is excellent.

S= At first I thought I got a good wiff of some bubblegum when I was pulling the bottle away from the glass but this just smells like piney hops. A lot like a lil sumpin. I guess the hops dominate everything.

T= The taste is again very very hoppy but you can tell they used a different yeast on it. It has a little more body to it as well as a little more depth in the taste. There is a little more than just hops going on here. There is a little bubblegum as well as a slight tang that I can only describe as a Belgian yeast tang.

M= Just like any IPA... A little carbonation only this has a little heavier body.

D= Not bad at all. I dunno if I would go out of my way to seek this out though. It's really not that much different. Good but not that much different. My rating is based on a BPA

3.23/5  rDev -21.2%

This is an interesting strong pale ale. The strong hops combination provides intense floral characteristics and gives a flavor of fresh tar with a little skunkiness. This pungent flavor lingers in the mouth for good amount of time. There is only a little bit of sweetness to this beer. This is definitely a beer you have to be in to mood for, as the flavors can seem a bit overwhelming.

3.23/5  rDev -21.2%

Golden amber with a white two finger head of foam. Good retention and lacing. Smells of citrus and floral hops with pepper and pale malts for sweetness.

The first thing I tasted was citrus and floral hops with pepper. After a while the pale malt flavor starts to come out, but the hops are dominant. There is some sweetness , but the bitterness overpowers it.

Medium bodied and smooth with average carbonation. The aftertaste is bitter. I think this beer is too bitter for its style, but not a bad effort.

3.24/5  rDev -21%

Very odd wild flavor...nothing is too distinguishable enough to get a true sense of the brew. Good, not great, drinkable for the abv but my taste buds aren't that impressed. Uneventful as a Belgian IPA or wild ale

3.24/5  rDev -21%

Bomber poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, A Little Sumpin wild is gold with a big white head that leaves heavy lace.

Smell is some citrus hops and sweet malt. Pale ale.

Taste is similar, mostly bready malt, moderate west coast hops. Wild? I wouldn't call it if it wasn't on the label. Underwhelming.

Mouthfeel is dry, medium bodied.

Drinkability is ok, it's certainly smooth for the ABV, I'd definitely not guess it's strength by taste or smell. As a pale ale, it's good. As a Belgian IPA, it's passable. With the boasting of the wildness, combined with the usual dankness of Lagunitas' IPAs, I'm disappointed. However, like all their beers, it's an exceptional value relative to it's peers.

3.27/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I have had the Little Sumpin several times so I was waiting to see what this little extra WILD thing did. For me, it do not do what I was hoping for. It still was a good brew, a nice amount of hops, the nice was malty/citrus was was very special. The first taste, it had a good amount of hops, but as I was drinking it, the malt start coming through loud and clear. Enjoyable, but not exactly what I was hoping for.

3.28/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Very disapointed. Worst of the lil sumpin line

3.28/5  rDev -20%

Pours with a thick dull white head that sits for a while. Beer is orange/amber and clear in color.

Aroma is thick with fruit and spice. Some real heft here. Pineapple, papaya, white pepper and alcohol.

Belgian sweetness up front. Candied sugar coated alcohol. This is quickly backed up by a torrent of fruit. The flavor is as thick as the aroma. A coating of hop bitterness lays on your tongue and reminds me of the word resin.

Bold, oily, thick body. A touch soapy in texture.

Interesting, but a bit sweet for me.

3.29/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Had at the Cock and Bowl in Occoquan, VA, poured into a Lagunitas glass.

This beer threw me off. I realize Lagunitas likes their hops, but the hops basically overwhelmed this entire beer to the point of essentially ruining the 'wild' aspect of this beer.

You got a nice grassy-saison-esque nose that hinted at the hops and the "brett" qualities that Lagunitas was searching for with the use of the Westmalle yeast strain. The first sip gives you a bit of the phenolic off-flavor they were looking for on the tip of your tongue, then the hops take over and blow your taste buds up with some bitter, bitter hops; afterwards you couldn't taste the funkiness even if you wanted to, with your mouth ripped like that.

While not a bad beer that DOES hide it's alcohol extremely well, it doesn't live up to its 'wild' name and is likely not a beer I'll be grabbing again. Pity.

3.32/5  rDev -19%

From 22oz bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 6/27/11
*From notes

A: Two finger head on a decent pour. Mild and unspectacular lacing rims the glass. Unfiltered warm caramel golden in color.

S: Sweet. It's got a hint of musty yeast.

T: Molasses and rich caramel. Hints of Belgo style yeast round it out.

M: Creamy enough. It's got a better body then I'd anticipated.

O: Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Wild was a reasonable little beer. Not spectacular in any way, though it managed to hold my attention long enough. I won't seek it out again, but would quaff one in a pinch.

3.33/5  rDev -18.8%

Not gunna lie. I was expecting this to be a Brett beer but now I know.

Pours a good looking clear golden color with a sort of apple juice color as well. Nice white head and lacing.

Aroma is odd. Has a similar aroma that other Lagunitas Beers have. Sort of old overworked yeast smell. Kinda belgany but not alot. Little bit of hops.

Taste isn't that great to me. It's too malty for a Belgian pale. Hops are kinda tasty.

Mouthfeel is not dry enough and for a Belgian it needs more carb.

It's an OK beer that I don't think I would buy again. The guys I shared it with seemed to think it was ok.

3.33/5  rDev -18.8%

A: Pours golden orange with a 1 finger head. Lots of bubbles and amazing lacing.

S: Smells of brash, grassy and floral hops. Lots of sweetness, strong malt, yeastiness, astringent and somewhat metallic. I'm guessing this is going to be potent.

T: Floral hops, grassy hops, sweet malt. The yeast smooths this beer out a lot and is my favorite aspect of this. Not sure why but this has a brash metallic taste to it, not digging that. It kind of has that imperial amber feel to it. Alcohol is felt but not all that bad considering the ABV.

M: Medium body and a lingering, astringent bitterness.

O: Well this has that Lagunitas taste to it without a doubt, I still feel like the odd guy out since I don't find it to be a huge draw. I just don't see their beers to be very unique from one another. This has enough hops to scratch your itch and some awesome yeast strain in it but the flavors aren't doing it for me.

3.34/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pale light orange, good head.

Strong grapefruit and caramel, also clove and yeast.

Caramel, grapefruit, clove, malt, grass, black pepper, coriander, metallic aftertaste. Dank and rich.

Dense mouthfeel.

A lot going on here, but sort of a mess. I didn't think Belgian IPA meant pouring Hop Stoopid into a Westmalle Tripel, but that's what this feels like. Some nice flavors, but at times it seems like they just collide rather than compliment.

A Little Sumpin' Wild from Lagunitas Brewing Company