A Little Sumpin' Wild - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian IPA |  8.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: femALEist on 04-28-2010

Fermented with the Westmalle yeast strain

72.51 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Wild Alström Bros

4.37/5  rDev +6.3%

This was an excellent beer, and something that I would gladly get again for the price per 6er

A- Beautiful golden color, visibly carbonated, with a nice white head that leaves a lacing for the entire life of the beer

S- This surprised me a bit. I was not at all impressed by the smell. Perhaps the hops had faded, but I did not smell the citrusy and hoppy smells that others are reporting. I smelled the over-ripe banana bread smells typically associated with Belgians. I also smelled a lot of vanilla. But there was an odd chemical smell that was hard to get past, and made me think that I would not enjoy this beer

T- The chemical smell was not at all present in the taste. The taste was so much better than I expected based on the smell. I tasted vanilla at the forefront, along with ripe fruits. There was a strong alcohol taste that was not at all hidden, and very much at the forefront- but I like that, so for me, that represents a positive, not a drawback, but for those who like high alcohol contents to be hidden, they probably would be turned off. There is a citrusy hoppy taste in the background, but it is not present until after the vanilla and boozy flavors. Very complex. Terrific flavor

M- Very full body. Taste stays with you. Goes through transitions in your mouth.

O- this is one of the better "under $10 6 packs" I have ever had. I would gladly get this beer again. Another great effort by Lagunitas

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright gold color, with a thin off-head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains floral hops, Belgian yeast, citrus and light caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out strong burst of grassy hops bitterness followed by some citrus sweetness. Then the Belgian yeast and hearty malt character breadiness comes in to create a good balance. There’s a touch of alcohol in the background and the hops bitterness tends to reassert itself in the finish. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, strong kick, good representation of style, this beer is exactly what you would expect from a Lagunitas-style IPA with Belgian yeast. It’s a good flavorful beer to drink for a long time.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

A little bit of an older beer, but I know it's been kept in a cooler for most of its shelf life.

Appearance:
Really nice amber with a quarter inch white head. This is a non-nucleated glass, but the carbonation appears to be ample even though the head falls flat rather quickly. There's even a little lacing.
Overall, it looks crisp amber beer with no haze or sediment and a thin, haloing white head that sits throughout drinking.

Smell:
Citrusy hops, a little belgian yeast fruitiness and some sweetness. There's very little alcohol that beams through, but it's still an obvious undertone. Fruits that come to mind are golden raisins, apricot, and oranges. I don't get the dreaded medicinal, who-poured-NyQuil-into-my-beer? aroma that I generally expect with BPAs...which is a huge +

Taste:
This is a clean belgian IPA with slightly bitter hops and a good amount of sweetness. I decided to pour it cold which I feel is the correct way to serve this beer. The initial sip is sweet, but it's replaced by the bitter hops and biting ethanol once it rolls off my palate.
It's quite a potent beer and the gumball flavor I hate becomes more pronounced as it warms.

Mouthfeel:
This beer is lightly carbonated with a good balance between belgian yeast and citrusy hops. A lot of the alcohol starts to come through as well as other gross things I hate about BIPAs when it warms.
I would highly recommend drinking this beer cold.

Overall:
This was actually a good really find and a killer price ($2.25/12oz) considering the limited amount left and booming alcohol content. I'm glad I grabbed a few other bottles because I prefer this over a lot of other BIPAs I've had... but the Duvel triple hop/bitter monk still take the cake (however they also take a monster chunk out of my wallet - unlike this beer).

TLDR; I recommend trying the beer.

A Little Sumpin' Wild from Lagunitas Brewing Company