A Little Sumpin' Wild - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian IPA |  8.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: femALEist on 04-28-2010

Fermented with the Westmalle yeast strain

72.51 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Wild Alström Bros

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

A little bit of an older beer, but I know it's been kept in a cooler for most of its shelf life.

Appearance:
Really nice amber with a quarter inch white head. This is a non-nucleated glass, but the carbonation appears to be ample even though the head falls flat rather quickly. There's even a little lacing.
Overall, it looks crisp amber beer with no haze or sediment and a thin, haloing white head that sits throughout drinking.

Smell:
Citrusy hops, a little belgian yeast fruitiness and some sweetness. There's very little alcohol that beams through, but it's still an obvious undertone. Fruits that come to mind are golden raisins, apricot, and oranges. I don't get the dreaded medicinal, who-poured-NyQuil-into-my-beer? aroma that I generally expect with BPAs...which is a huge +

Taste:
This is a clean belgian IPA with slightly bitter hops and a good amount of sweetness. I decided to pour it cold which I feel is the correct way to serve this beer. The initial sip is sweet, but it's replaced by the bitter hops and biting ethanol once it rolls off my palate.
It's quite a potent beer and the gumball flavor I hate becomes more pronounced as it warms.

Mouthfeel:
This beer is lightly carbonated with a good balance between belgian yeast and citrusy hops. A lot of the alcohol starts to come through as well as other gross things I hate about BIPAs when it warms.
I would highly recommend drinking this beer cold.

Overall:
This was actually a good really find and a killer price ($2.25/12oz) considering the limited amount left and booming alcohol content. I'm glad I grabbed a few other bottles because I prefer this over a lot of other BIPAs I've had... but the Duvel triple hop/bitter monk still take the cake (however they also take a monster chunk out of my wallet - unlike this beer).

TLDR; I recommend trying the beer.

3.47/5  rDev -15.6%

Served in a 13oz tulip for $5.25. Sampled 9/28/10.

A: Arrives with 1 finger of one of the creamier, frothier heads that I have ever seen. Eggshell white and annoyingly long lasting. Ten minutes in and the head hasn't budged one bit. Seriously, can I drink my beer already?!? The body is remarkably clear, bright annealed copper in color. Boatload of slow moving bubbles can be seen on the inside. This beer is an absolute stunner in a glass. Clearly a 5.0...

S: The nose is the juiciest, summer fruit forward nose that I've come across at this point. Peaches, tangerine and just a hint of pungent red grapefruit. A bready malt character is present, but it's deep in the background. The nose was headed for another amazing score - that was until the temperature started rising. FUCK. Kerosene mixed with lighter fluid and ammonia. The abundance of fruit aromas nearly masks it, but I just can't get past the offensive volatiles.

T: It's hard to separate the aroma and taste sometimes so - purely from a flavor standpoint - I get the bright fruits on the front end of the palate with alcohol soaked pear flavor on the finish. The alcohol is much too prominent here and...

M: ...on the tongue. Besides that, the mouthfeel is full and creamy with a nice tingling effervescence. Slightly astringent on the finish.

D: [DRINKABILITY] Due to the overpowering, off-putting and out of place aromas, I can barely stand to put my nose in the glass any longer. The rest of the brew's attributes are strong enough, however, to keep the drinkability rating from being a 1.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

3.7/5  rDev -10%

Review from notes. Thanks to my brother for a bottle.

A: Pours a clear golden/orange color with a one finger foamy head on top. Decent retention and thin lacing around most of the glass.

S: Don't get much in the way of Belgian spices/yeast, mostly pine and some citrus fruit.

T: Again, don't get very much in the way of a Belgian presence. Nice piney flavor though with some light citrus mixed in.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Slightly dry finish. Abv comes through a little bit as it warms.

O: Had you told me it was a regular IPA, score probably would be a bit higher. I liked it, but did not love it.

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

10 oz tap poured at Stout's Pub in Minnesota.

A: Perfectly clear golden in color. 1 finger dense foam head. Leaves amazing lace.

S: Ammonia-like hop aroma. Vegetative.

T: Medicinal like quality sits over clean sweet malt. Hops bitter but play second fiddle to yeast qualities. Very interesting. Unique.

M: Well carbonated. Rather thin with a slight lingering oiliness.

D: Worth trying a few times. After a couple, it can be a bit much. The antiseptic qualities multiply.

A Little Sumpin' Wild from Lagunitas Brewing Company