A Little Sumpin' Wild - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' WildA Little Sumpin' Wild

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian IPA |  8.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Fermented with the Westmalle yeast strain

72.51 IBU

(Beer added by: femALEist on 04-28-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Wild Alström Bros
lacqueredmouse

Australia

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a mostly clear, but very slightly hazed golden orange colour, with a full and thick head of large-bubbled white foam. Lacing is sudsy but consistent. Lots of streaming carbonation, and the body looks surprisingly light. Not bad overall.

Hmm, not sure what I was expecting on the nose, but this isn't it. Lots of tropical fruit characters implying a large west coast hop addition. More spice than usual though, with a lightly phenolic yeast note coming through. The more I smell, the more pronounced are the characters of Belgian yeast, but there's still something quintessentially American about it as well.

Taste is very interesting, and again different to what I was expecting, my expectations having been put through a turnaround by the nose. Here, there are more lightly phenolic yeast characters, a light boozy strain and a nutty finish. Some hop bitterness is present on the back, but it's subdued, and just lends a tropical undertone to the other characters. Feel is quite light. It feels like it's jangling a little uncontrollably through a number of odd flavours, but it does work.

An interesting brew, almost feeling like a hybrid style, or just a Belgian ale brewed with the American stamp all over it. I'm not sure if it really wows me, but it keeps me guessing, and that's something.

10-26-2010 05:16:13 | More by lacqueredmouse
scottfrie

3.73/5  rDev -9.5%

22oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a clear peach-hued golden with a huge thick off-white head that ever so slowly receded into a thick foamy film that left great streaks of sticky lace down the glass.
S: Very sweet and fruity smelling with a potent dose of grapefruit hops. Smells like a fruity IPA. Not picking up much Belgian yeast but I do get notes of peach and lychee.
T: Tastes like the nose but the Belgian yeast really comes out in the finish and adds a nice peppery bubblegum flavor. Not as much grapefruit as the nose. Finish is slightly acidic, aftertaste is sweet with a hint of alcohol.
M: Medium body is fairly clean feeling with medium-high carbonation and a medium body that is a touch viscous and sticky. Alcohol is slightly noticeable in the finish.
D: Not a bad beer, and a decent take on the style. Not the best BSPA by any means, but a very drinkable and delicious beer.

10-26-2010 03:51:48 | More by scottfrie
JayMooch1

Maryland

3.4/5  rDev -17.5%

This is my first review so sorry if it's not up to par with others.

On that note, this is poured from a $5 bottle I picked up at DeCicco's in Ardsley,NY into my Duvel Tulip.

On first appearance it pours a nice two finger head which has remained throughout the entire length it took me to drink. It is a beautiful amber-gold, more reminiscent of an IPA than of the usual Belgian Strong Pales I've had.

Smell again more toward the IPA than the Belgian Pale but luckily I'm quite the hophead. Lots of citrus notes, mostly grapefruit. I'm not picking up much else from the nose.

Taking a few sips, the grapefruit is definitely tasted up front, but as it goes down, the spice is prevalent. Spices are very piney and grassy (I'm thinking basil or coriander).

Mouthfeel is light and crisp but somewhat resiny as it seems to coat my mouth. The taste lingers on my palette for a while after it's gone down. I'm not getting much in terms of carbonation as you would expect from a Belgian Pale.

Was a fairly drinkable beer, but I wouldn't drink more than 2 bombers in a sitting.

I thought this was a great beer, however because it is labeled and sold as a Belgian Strong Pale, I can't allow myself to give it a higher grade. This is not a Belgian Strong Pale, they took Westmalle Yeast and made an IPA which is fine if they market it as such. I will be drinking this again as I did enjoy it and it was pretty cheap at $5 a bottle. If you are trying to drink a Belgian Strong Pale this isn't for you.

10-26-2010 00:07:26 | More by JayMooch1
matjack85

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

I found this 22oz brown bottle at Sal's in Addison, IL for a great price of just $4.99 a bottle. I guess this is the 6th in their series of Little Sumpin' varieties. No freshness date but the website says they release this in September and this is only October so unless this is from last year's batch I'm assuming this is pretty fresh.

The beer poured a deep gold color and made 3-fingers worth of whispy white head that lasted several minutes and left behind a ton of lacing.

This smells like an IPA. Really nice citrus hop aroma - mostly orange and grapefruit.

Big grapefruit hop flavor with plenty of wheat malt for sweetness and balance. There is also a touch of orange and piny hops behind the grapefruit and an even smaller dose of Belgian yeast flavor, but nothing so funky as to earn its name of "wild ale". Delicious, but more IPA-ish than anything else.

Smooth and medium bodied with really low carbonation. This stuff will leave a bitter hop aftertaste in your mouth long after you swallow, but that is not a bad thing.

For an 8.85% alcohol beer they sure hide it well. Not much alcohol taste at all and it really goes down easy.

10-25-2010 22:10:13 | More by matjack85
DeanMoriarty

3.83/5  rDev -7%

Picked up a 22oz bomber for $5.99 from Olive Tree Market here in Ocean Beach and poured it into a stemmed tulip glass.

A: Pours a golden, slightly amber hue with a decent head, but not much lace.

S: Very malty with a ton of nice yeast smell, slightly herbal, with some earthy/mossy hop in there as well. No funk, which I expected because of the label boasting - "Wild Ale".

T: Herbal, big time malt, black liquorish, somewhat boozy with some bitter hop at the end.

M: Decent mouthfeel - medium bodied, sticky, well carbonated and actually got nicer as the beer warmed up a bit.

D: I'm glad I tried it but won't revisit it again (in the bottle at least) - I would definitely like to try this on-tap though.

10-25-2010 17:48:26 | More by DeanMoriarty
hosehead83

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from a "bomber" bottle into a standard pint glass.
Clear, tawny-gold in color, with a moderate head of eggshell-white foam.
Aroma-Fruity, spicy hop notes
Taste-Spicy hops, Belgian funk note, orange zest, nice hop bite throughout. Very well-balanced hops and Belgian spice. A bright, tangy, snappy very tasty brew. Highly recommended. Get some!!

10-25-2010 15:25:49 | More by hosehead83
djmichaelk

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Chilled 22oz bottle into a perfect pint. Bottled on 9/20/10.

A - Nice clear straw-yellow, with a three-finger head that takes a while to die down to a medium cap. Decent retention with tons of lacing on the glass. About as nice as I can expect a beer to look.

S - Very IPA-like, with a citrusy bitterness that reminds me of Pliny (had a few earlier tonight). Grapefruit and orange peel. Lemon zest and a good amount of caramel/toffee backbone.

T - Not nearly as hoppy as the aroma might lead you to believe. A very sweet, malty base gives way to an earthy bitterness. The Westmalle yeast, while not quite what I expected here, definitely makes a difference in the flavor. I'm not sure that I like it better than its little brother (sister?), but I'm digging this.

M - Full bodied, with good carbonation. Sticky, but not quite as sticky as regular Sumpin'. I like it.

D - I was enjoying the process of smelling and drinking my way through this one, and it went pretty quickly.

O - Factoring in the very low price, I'll definitely be hunting a few more of these down.

10-25-2010 15:25:38 | More by djmichaelk
OWSLEY069

4.53/5  rDev +10%

Pours a clean orange-ish color with a white head. In the aroma, grapefruit citrus, mango, and orange citrus hops. In the taste, grapefruity citrus hops and dry fruit rinds. A small bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry, citrus hop in the aftertaste. Big hops and big citrus fruitiness. Hides the alcohol and quite remarkable.

10-25-2010 14:38:22 | More by OWSLEY069
donkeyrunner

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

"Wild thing, I think I love you." - The Troggs

Peachy gold color, slightly hazy in a snifter. 2 finger white head. White window of lace left by a thin island of stubborn foam. Retro, Sailor Jerry style bottle art.

The aroma, and what I believe to be the general theme to this beer, is Belgian phenols and esters versus American hopping. If smell were to be the sole judge, I'd say it's a successful combination. Tropical fruit phenols are balanced by a Christmas tree scented hop profile.

Taste is sugary, malt candy with a leaning towards the tropical fruit phenols generally associated with a tripel offset by piney hops. A bit muddled, and with a mild boozey flush, but not enough to be a distraction.

Mouthfeel is crisp and dry enough to be good, but doesn't bear enough of the stated Westmalle yeast profile that I can bump it up to 4.5. Dangerously drinkable in accordance with style.

A successful take on the Belgian Strong Pale style that takes some liberties, but still remains true to its roots. Probably my fav from Lagunitas thus far.

10-25-2010 10:01:10 | More by donkeyrunner
callmescraps

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Always up for Sumpin.

Appearance- A nice orange, light copper color. A full inch of thick, creamy off-white head. Caps and laces very nicely. Good looking beer.

Smell- Nice light and hoppy. Tons of citrus, some tangerine. Some nice yeast.

Taste- Nice and hoppy. Some good pine. Less citrus than in the nose. Some caramel malt sweetness. Finishes pretty bitter. There is some of the yeast mellowing it out. Taste like candied hops. Nice.

Mouthfeel- Good and rich. A touch syrupy.

Drinkability- Goes down easy.

A huge for on the Sumpins. I'd rather have Sumpin Extra, but this is a nice addition to the family.

10-25-2010 06:40:03 | More by callmescraps
Mitchster

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

$4.99 for a 22oz bottle. 72.51 IBU, OG=1.082, 8.85% ABV, fermented with the Westmalle yeast strain.

Pours out to a very clear pale golden, forming a tall white head with excellent retention and thick sheets of lace. The aroma is a pleasant mix of mango and honeysuckle from the hops, and tropical fruits like pineapple from the yeast, with a suggestion of white pepper and clove. The taste is a recap of the aroma, with a great balance of the fruit and a mild aspirin-like bitterness full of hop flavor. The finish is clean and the mouthfeel is crisp with a medium-dense body. The Westmalle yeast is fairly subdued compared to the hops, but adds a subtle accentuation. This is an IPA by all accounts, not a BSPA by flavor profile as currently listed.

Overall, I really like this. I'm not sure that it's any better or worse than regular little sumpin ale, but is sure is good.

10-24-2010 23:24:02 | More by Mitchster
gdrydenc

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance - Light amber, straw colored. Good amount of foamy thick head that laces the glass throughout the drinking.

Smell - Smells delicious. I can't say I've had enough 'wild' ales to compare to a previous experience. However, the smell is fruity, hoppy.

Taste - The taste is this beer's high point. It is memorable, hoppy, with enough spice and flavor to keep me wanting more. The taste reminds me somewhat of the Saison du Buff by Victory, DFH, and Stone. I love the taste of this beer.

Mouthfeel - Well carbonated, a bit of flavor remains on my tongue for quite a while after the swallow. Bitter at the end. Can't taste the alcohol at all.

Drinkability - No qualms with the drinkability. I'm sad the bottle is over, and I will definitely seek this out again. I may be in love with this beer.

10-24-2010 22:34:51 | More by gdrydenc
SpdKilz

Appearance - Pours a light straw color into my SA Perfect Pint. About two fingers of head is achieved with a moderate pour that dissipates at a moderate pace leaving nice looking lacing.

Smell - Up front is citrus and hops. Slight Belgian yeast, floral notes, and a hint of a malt background. Smells more like an IPA than anything (or should I say DIPA given the abv).

Taste - Ahh, there it is. A definite Belgian yeast appearance up front. However, loads of hops, more of a backseat is taken by the citrus (though they are still present), and spices such as white pepper. Tastes okay, but honestly I don't know why I'm just not feeling it.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with decent carbonation. A hint dry in the finish.

Drinkability - This is harder to drink than expected. Just a lot of flavor profile to deal with. Don't think I'll pick this up again, but worth a try.

10-24-2010 03:07:20 | More by SpdKilz
claspada

3.55/5  rDev -13.8%

Aromas are straight resin and pine; typical for Lagunitas. Frankly I'm kinda bored with this typical Pacific hop shananagans, but maybe that's just me. Anyway...

Tastes follow the nose to a tee. All hop no malt, so bored... No detection of the Belgian yeast influence at all. The only noticable part is that maybe the yeast mellow the typical over-hopping that I am accustomed to with this brewery. Spicy notes are plesant though, maybe from the yeast, I can't tell. Do they have body malts on the west coast honestly, add some body please!!!

Mouthfeel was medium with lots of carb and good aftertaste. Overall, whatever, same old same old from Lagunitas. If you like their stuff you'll like this beer if you arent a fan avoid. Nothing else much to say, blah... in my opinion.

10-23-2010 21:30:34 | More by claspada
morimech

3.6/5  rDev -12.6%

Clear golden color with two fingers of white head that had good retention. Extensive lacing is left on the glass. Mainly hoppy grapefruit and citrus fruit in the aroma. The bottle says it is fermented with the Westmalle yeast strain. Could of fooled me. I do not detect anything reminiscent of Westmalle or Belgium for that matter. I suppose if I had this side by side with A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' I could find this Belgian influence, but as a standalone, I cannot. The hops are the main flavor influence with plenty of citrus. Alcohol even dominates the limited malt aspect of this beer. Has a nice body with a carbonation that gives a nice soft texture. Just not enough influence from the yeast to garner the $.08 per ounce premium over its sister brew. Otherwise it is a good wheat ale with a whole lot of hops.

10-23-2010 17:30:33 | More by morimech
cbutova

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

On at The Sierra Grille.

A- Orange with a small cloud and ring. Sticky suds but not much lace. Looks appetizing in a snifter.

S- Tropical fruit hops with a backdrop of dry Belgian yeast.

T- Starts with grapefruit-orange-tropical-peach hop flavor and finishes with Belgian yeast and spice. Light biscuit malt.

MF- Light and creamy, silky champagne like carbonation. Fairly bitter from yeast and hops.

DB- An anomaly in a way but well done. California meets Belgium in an ale worth trying.

10-23-2010 03:14:07 | More by cbutova
ShadesOfGray

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Picked up a bottle on a whim from Capones in Norristown, Pa this past week. Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Allagash tall chalice/shifter glass. Pours a fairly clear orange/bronze like color. Only a slight bit of cloudiness...mostly clear. A decent 2 finger size head arises...with a creamy surface and nice retention. As it dissipates, a mild cap and ring of foam remains.

Around is unique. Belgian yeast, followed by some mild crisp fruit...like pear and apple. A very faint hoppiness in the background.

Flavor is surprisingly good! I have to admit, I wasn't expecting a heck of a lot. A very nice mixture of fruit, hops, and very slight funk. The term "Wild" on the label doesn't mean this beer is a "wild" ale or "sour". Even though theres a slight funk...similar to a saison, its mostly sweet...and very drinkable! Medium, crisp mouthfeel...high carbonation, and slightly boozy. O, and not to forget the decent amount of hops! The fruit character once again is bringing to mind apple and pear. Overall a very decent and drinkable beer!

10-23-2010 02:24:43 | More by ShadesOfGray
dborginis

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%

I expected a wild ale here based on the name, but was very happily surprised the this is an excellent non-wild beer.

Appearance isn't that exciting, lots of head. Very sweet and very hoppy smell. Wow what a taste! Huge hops flavor, great hops profile. I haven't had the regular Little Sumpin, but this is really excellent. The belgian yeast gives a great and in your face hit of spice. All around a great beer. Only wish it wasn't so high in the ABV. If it were an DIPA, it would be my favorite one!

10-23-2010 01:55:33 | More by dborginis
alli4051

Colorado

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from a bomber into a SA perfect pint.

Picked this up on a whim because Lagunitas has yet to disappoint me and it was fairly cheap. Pours a dark, crystal clear, golden color with a big white head. Head is foamy and hangs around for awhile, leaves some nice lacing when it does recede. Smell is, surprisingly, lots of citrusy hops with a funky yeast backdrop. Taste is hops in the front with that familiar Belgian funkiness in the finish. Lots of spiciness with a hint of booze at the end as well. Medium bodied with a bit of stickiness to it. 8.85% will catch up with you quick but this is an otherwise very drinkable brew. Happy that I can still say Lagunitas has yet to let me down.

10-23-2010 01:41:06 | More by alli4051
perrymarcus

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

22oz bomber served in an oversized wineglass.

pours a bright golden tone with a bit of haze to it... a solid finger-plus of a creamy off-white head. very respectable showing in both retention and lacing. nice looking beer.

continues to impress with the nose; aromatic potpourri of citrus and pine hoppiness combines with a noticeable malty presence, maybe a little spice.

aroma mostly pulls through in the flavor, except i do get a more a yeasty presence than was evident in the smell. still, tastes more like a DIPA than a BSPA. very tasty though. some hoppy bitterness in the finish.

mouthfeel is on the heavy side with adequate carbonation. pretty good drinkability factor; think i'll be picking up another. recommended.

10-22-2010 05:20:06 | More by perrymarcus
cjgator3

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

22oz bottle

A- Poured into a snifter. Pours a nice golden orangish color with an off-white head with good retention and lacing.

S- The aroma is fantastic! A lot of tropical fruit in the nose with some spices and citrusy hops. The Belgian yeast strain is prevalent in the nose as well.

T- The taste like the aroma is very fruity with some malt up front. A lot of fruity citrus flavors in the taste too with a hint of spices good dose of citrusy hops in the finish. Wow, this is a great beer.

M- The mouthfeel is between light and medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, this is one of the more enjoyable beers that I have had lately. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone to try.

10-22-2010 03:38:52 | More by cjgator3
jwinship83

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

650ml bottle drank from my la fin du monde tulip. no freshness information can be found, but this is a newish seasonal.

A- this one pours out of the bottle a translucent golden colored body with a large and fluffy bright white head on top. the head takes its time falling and leaves behind solid rings of lacing.

S- the first thing that i notice are the hops. lots of pine and grapefruit in this. i smell some faint wheat like malts and a little bit of belgian yeast. reminds me of an american brewed belgian IPA.

T- the taste begins with some wheat malts. after that comes some coriander and a little bit of clove. banana and bubblegum make a brief appearance. after all that comes the hops. lots of grapefruit and some pine.

M- medium to full bodied and well carbonated. little to no alcohol burn.

D- like most lagunitas seasonals, i like this one very well. its also a nice twist on something they already make. the name is a little misleading. check this one out if you can. for $4 a bottle, its a great deal.

10-22-2010 01:42:11 | More by jwinship83
bound4er

Wisconsin

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

From a 22 ounce bomber - $3.99.

A. Dark straw to faint orange appearance. Slight haze shows through. Big, fluffy three finger white head. Heavy lacing present.

S. Holy cow - lots going on here. Belgian yeast, citrus and pine hops, wild flowers, graphite and candied malt. Killer nose.

T. Plenty of hop goodness without being overly bitter. Some influence from the Belgian yeast in terms of a candied fruitiness. I'm sure there's a malt bill in this beer - I just don't pick any up in the taste. A hop lovers dream for sure.

M. Slick, medium bodied feel with adequate carbonation.

D. This is one fine beer. The nose alone is worth the price of admission. Very easy drinking, especially given an ABV of almost 9. Not sure which I like better - this or regular Sumpin' Sumpin'.

10-22-2010 01:16:21 | More by bound4er
GilGarp

Colorado

No date that I can see but I know it's fresh. 650mL bottle served cold into a goblet.

I've had several Sumpins before but this is my first wild. First impression is actually the aroma so I'll start there. Totally a west-coast hop bomb of a double IPA, which I love, but somehow I'm already doubting that the delicate Westmalle yeast will be able to shine in such a harsh bitter environment.

Visually, it's very similar to the other Sumpins with golden yellow color, perfect clarity, and sticky lace-inducing head.

Ok, I admit, the yeast does make itself known. Still the hop bomb I was expecting but with the added depth of a funky, slightly sour, Belgian strong pale.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Alcohol is noticible but doesn't get in the way of enjoyment.

Overall, I would say I'm glad I was proven wrong.

10-21-2010 23:40:37 | More by GilGarp
MNJR

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

A powerhouse brew. Nice copper, burnt orange color, perfect head, thin but consistent lacing. Very fresh smells of mint, peach, apple, and evergreen. The flavor is big: the peach and mint are there with great spiciness - white pepper (I thought this before reading the guy below - so you know it's in there) with an herbal, citrus kick. I feel like I should marinate a chicken in this stuff and grill it. The mouthfeel is thick and heavy but silky smooth, too. I don't get the "Belgian" designation. This tastes like an Imperial IPA all the way, with the slight addition of fruit flavors which are up front but soon obscured by the spicy kick. This beer is a serious contender in the strong, ass-kicking category. Damn good stuff. Really enjoyable if you prefer a beer that runs on 220 volts. This stuff is double the beer and then some of standard Lagunitas bottlings.

10-21-2010 21:44:09 | More by MNJR