A Little Sumpin' Wild - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' WildA Little Sumpin' Wild

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian IPA |  8.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Fermented with the Westmalle yeast strain

72.51 IBU

(Beer added by: femALEist on 04-28-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Wild Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Picked this up on a whim at my local grocery store. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - Lots of carbonation evident. 1 finger of loose pillowy white head. Color is a dusky yellow-gold, quite clear and inviting. Pretty lacing all the way down the pint.

S - Hops immediately. Leather and pine with undertones of mango, pineapple, and an acidity from the yeast.

T - Alive with spicy and floral hop. There is some malt undertone with musty yeast in equal measure. Flavors of bitter orange peel and clove, with a nicely tannic and bitter finish scrubbing the palate.

M - clean and crisp with nice carbonation

O - Delightful. I was super glad I picked this up. Easily the best overall drinking pint I have had in a while, I will be sad when the sixer is done.

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

A - Two fingers worth of crisp slightly fluffy lightly whipped off-white colored head... Decent retention... The color is a clean pale copper... Streaks of brisk packed medium sized bubbles rise along the sides of the glass...

S - The aroma is rather subdued... Light fruity aroma... Apricot... Pineapple juice... Apples... Even some cucumbers??? White bread... The hops are present, but lie beneath the surface... Good complexity with lots of interesting aromas, I only wish that everything was dialed up a notch...

T - Much more potent on the palette... Honey dew... Pineapple... Apricot... Peaches... Apples... Some citrus... A nice hop punch that is equal parts citrus and pine is present through out...

M - Medium bodied... Lush to start... Slightly creamy... A bit sticky... Juicy... Sturdy... A bit dense... Sleek... Smooth... Really elegant...

D - A really really nice brew... A little more in the aroma department would make this an exceptional offering... Well crafted and rather unique... I would gladly invest in a sixer of this every time I see it and would recommend other BAs do the same... Lagunitas has never let me down... All that being said, I'm not sure I agree with the style classification for this one... It strikes me much more as a Double IPA or Strong Ale...

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

Clear, deep golden appearance. 1/2 inch head with some decent lacing in its wake. Carbonation appears to be somewhat lively. The aroma has a bit of citrus hop twang, but also a great deal of cookie/caramel maltiness. It doesn't smell very Belgian like though.

Smoothly balanced hop and malt flavors. Finishes rather clean. Touch of alcohol heat. Decent bitterness arises after a few sips. I was hoping for a more hop dominant profile but the malt character is actually very agreeable. It sways perfectly between the cookie like malt and orange tangy hops, resulting in a delightful but slow sipper. According to the date code this was bottled about a month ago, so the relative freshness is beneficial here, and I assume any aging would be detrimental.

The beer has a medium thickness, and the carbonation is sharp but perhaps too fine. Being a Belgian style I would expect more foaminess to add to the body.

Overall this beer met expectations. It was unique and likable but I'm not sure that's enough for me to want to buy it regularly. It's interesting to experiment making a malty Belgian beer and lots of hops, but a heavy handed dose of American hoppiness shouldn't go to waste. That's why the parent beer to this (Little Sumppin Sumpin) is more of a success. Focus on the hops. That's why I say this is just worth a try...

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my 12oz beer glass -

Appearance - Poured about a finger of eggshell white head, color is a brite translucent yellow-orange, incredible lacing. There are steady streams of small champagne bubbles streaming from the bottom of my glass that creates a very solid, white cap that endures for the session.

Smell - Hmmmm...some pineapple and citrus mixed with a slightly piney/medicinal smell with some floral grassy notes and minerals, I'm guessing this is the belgian yeast.

Taste - Very interesting, a while lot of flavors going on here. Starts with that belgian yeast/spice flavor, then some semi-sweet tropical fruits, peach, apricot, pears - then a good amount of citrus, grapefruit and bitter orange. Then the hops kick in with bitter grapefruit and pine that provide a little pucker long into the finish. There is also a pretty prominent spiced carmel backbone throughout the entire sip.

Mouthfeel - This is a medium bodied beer, low to medium carb that adds a really nice tingle around the sides of the tongue. There is a nice sweetness throughout that coats the tongue, but still has a fairly clean and dry finish. The label says 9.4% ABV, but this is perfectly hidden - alcohol is only noticed by a gentle warmth that builds throughout the session

Overall - What an interesting beer, so many flavors and nuances. I have really liked every Lagunitas product I've tried, and this is certainly no exception. I totally get the Wild, with all of the flavors going here, along with a prominent carmel backbone that offsets the bitter nuances, this one is just spiced. Check this one out, I would buy this one again.

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap at 775 Gastropub

Translucent amber body, thick white head. I could see some bubbles bubbling up the center of the glass.

Smell contained some yeast, some malt and some hops. I know this isn't clear, but it smelled pretty good.

Taste was quite great. A lot of stuff going on here with some Belgian sort of spices with a nice hoppy bite on the way down and malts spread about for good measure. Feel is nice and crisp.

I really enjoyed this one. This is a "big sister" to a beer I still haven't tried so I don't quite have a comparison there. It's just a great beer! Lagunitas continues to show great range and quality.

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - A great sticky head with an illuminous light amber body.
Smell - The Belgian yeast creates a spicy aroma that pairs well with the scent of the sweet malt body and floral hop notes.
Taste - An extremely complex beer. The Belgian flavors are up front and mouth coating with a snappy hop bite followed by a light fruity aftertaste.
Mouthfeel - Good crisp body and feel, works well with the taste.

4.78/5  rDev +16.3%

A: Pours a clear, golden honey color with two fingers of white head that recedes into a thin white cap with good lacing.

S: Lots of sweet bubblegum and candy sugar with light spice notes at first which melds seamlessly into a tropical pineapple and grapefruit aroma from the hops. Lovely.

T: Similar to the aroma, there are sweet bubblegum flavors at first along with some light spicy notes. The sweetness again follows into a tropical pineapple and grapefruit blast from the hops. The finish is lightly bitter with just a touch of alcohol burn.

M: Medium-light body with high carbonation that accentuates the tropical hop flavors and bitterness well.

O: Definitely not a BSPA--too thick and hoppy--but a wonderful Belgian IPA. A delicious mix of sweet and spicy Belgian aromas/flavors with tropical fruit hop aromas and flavors. I didn't expect to enjoy this beer as much as I do, but it's hard not to chug it because it's so tasty and drinkable. Absolutely love it.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a tulip.
*9.4% ABV on bottle, as opposed to the 8.85% listed.

A- Slightly hazy and amber. Pours with1+ finger of white head, which fades slowly to a small cap.

S- Pear...floral and slightly citrus hops hit....solid amount of Belgian yeast character.

T- Lots of great hop flavor...pine, citrus, fruity-spicy...a bit of the funky Belgian yeast...pear-like fruity sweetness.

M- Fairly crisp with moderate carbonation. Medium feel....fairly creamy.

O- Very good. Even with 9.4% ABV, extremely easy drinking, great tasting...really enjoyable.

Future outlook: At under $10 for a sixer, this was an incredible steal...might have to be used as cellar-stock....

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Golden slightly yellow, clear with no sediment. Not much head/lace if poured slow, good head if faster and lots of lace.

S - Sweeter hops mixed with some wheat... little bit of that lagunitas classic ipa smell. Kinda has that Belgium smell.

T - Complex and good. First is a bitter Belgium like bitterness mixed with some DIPA hoppy grapfruit like taste. Goes down with a nice bitter but different taste of a belgium ipa kinda thing. Lingering but not too heavy aftertaste. Some wild and crazy yeast thing going on, but not sour...

M - Good smoothness but a little prickly fizzyness. Nice after taste/feel. Little bit of alcohol back there but not much. Very easy drinking for a seasoned ipa fan.

O - Over all this has to be one of the best Belgium style beers I have had/liked. I don't like the Belgium styles much (more of a hop-head). This has the best of both worlds for Belgium IPA fans, hops and a Belgium back ground. Bottle indicates a Alc. of 9.4% instead of 8.8% stated here.

A - Pours clear coppery orange with two fingers of off-white head. Head has decent retention and leaves some nice lacing.

S - Lots of grapefruit, some nice florals and bubblegum. Belgian yeast is present but doesn't dominate.

T - More yeast presence in the taste then the smell, along with a nice amount of spice. Also a strong citrus hop presence up front. Finishes with a nice bitterness. This is a nice compliment to the regular Sumpin Sumpin. Finishes pretty clean and dry though there is also a light lingering sweetness.

M - Medium mouthfeel with nice carbonation.

O - I had this on tap once and thought it was overly sweet. While there is some sweetness, the bitter grapefruit definitely wins out. Overall a nice Belgian IPA that would have again, but wouldn't go out of my way for.

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Four finger soap bubble head, good retention, light gold (about a 5 SRM), great lacing, steady carb.

Smell: A light roasty smell, citrus, fruit, almost candy like (fruit roll-up or fruit snack.), smells slightly wheaty.

Taste: Fruity, piney hops, floral, alcohol is present, spicy. Body is medium, carb is good.

Final Thoughts: Nothing great. I guess I'm comparing it too much to sumpin sumpin, but looking at it from beligian stand point, I think its pretty normal. It's good, but I kinda expected more.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

A-Very nice glowing orange hue with white lacy head.

S-A great funky Belgian wheat smell. Lots of citrus, and hops.

T-Wow,super tasty. Nice citrus taste with a great spicy bite. Really delicious.

M-Medium body and good carbonation. Highly drinkable.

O-Truly a wonderful, flavorful beer. Laguanitas has been really impressing me lately, and this might be my favorite so far. I can drink this beer everyday. Highly recommended.

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

A brilliantly clear orange color with a two to three finger head that sticks around forever. Soft bubbles rise slowly from the bottom. Very appealing to the eye. Awesome floral and citrusy hops on the nose that are soft and pleasant, but so aromatic. Lots of grapefruit. A light malt backing rounds it out.

Very bitter of course, grapefruit rind comes to mind as big waves of citrus and pine combine in the taste. Thick mouthfeel, but crisp and dry as well. Sweetness is brief, but there in an attempt to balance some of the bitterness, quite unsuccessfully, but that might be a good thing for me and other hop heads. Malted barley flavors help a little to bring this down to earth. Boozy notes come through as it warms a little, but it doesn't take anything away from the overall flavor. What this beer lacks in balance it makes up for in its in-your-face hoppy quality. Another really good hop bomb from Lagunitas and definitely worth a try.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

I picked up a bottle of A Little Sumpin' Wild last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I have been wanting to try this beer for a while so when I saw that The Lager Mill had just got some in I knew I had to grab a bottle and test it out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottle date but I am sure it is pretty fresh. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok but I think that besides adding wild to the name this is pretty much the same label as the original beer. It poured a clear, light golden orange color with a fingers worth of white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end.

S- The aroma is similar to the original beer but instead of having some floral hops in the aroma, it is pretty much dominated by citrus fruits that lean heavily toward blood oranges, mangos, pineapple, and grapefruit. But the aroma isn't just about the hops, the Belgian yeast adds some nice spicy aromas that mix nicely with hops and also have a very slight funk smell to it. I really cant pick up much of the malts used in the base of this beer but I do detect a fair amount of sweetness.

T- In the taste the malted wheat backbone of this beer is much more evident and has a nice slight orange zest flavor to it and it is not overly sweet. The Belgian yeast is pretty evident in the flavor and I think it goes very well with the wheat flavors from the base of this beer. Just like the aroma the hops are citrusy and there's a lot of them that impart all those fruits that I picked up in the aroma with the blood orange and pineapple sticking out the most. The finish had a pretty low amount of bitterness and the alcohol is barely noticeable.

M- Crisp, dry, medium bodied and the carbonation was on the lighter side of medium.

Overall I though this was a pretty good beer and after everything is all said and done I think I like this slight more then the original beer. I find that the combination of the Belgian yeast with the base of this beer really work well together and help take this brew to another level. I also like the heavier amount of citrus hops that show up in the beer, it makes for a really nice mixture of different citrus fruits. I like the flavor and aroma the most about this beer, everything seemed to come together very nicely and with great balance. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, the color was a little pale and head and head retention was lack luster. This beer had pretty good drinkability, the alcohol was hidden well and the flavor kept me coming back for more, if I had another one I would drink it, I would for sure buy this again. I recommend this beer to just about anyone, if you like Belgian IPA's this beer would be a great choice. Lagunitas has been impressing me a lot lately, every beer I have had from them has been good and impressing, they are making a nice run at being my favorite out of state brewery, they sure now how to use their hops. You guys keep making different variations of this beer and I will keep drinking them.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter, bottled on 203 or July 22.

This pours a clear orangish color with a large foamy white head with good lacing. The smell is of citrus, grapefruit and orange, some yeast funk and spices, very good and sweet smelling. Feel is medium with a mouth coating hop resin. The taste is pretty exceptional, I do get the alcohol boozeiness taste, but there is a good amount of grapefruit hop bite, some nice belgium yeast esters / funk and a load of bitterness on the back end, overall this is an amazing brew, I like it more than the great Little Sumpin regular. This is my second favorite Lagunitas brew (only after the even better Hop Stoopid).

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

12oz bottle poured into Victory Golden Monkey snifter. This 2011 bottle says "9.4%ABV" instead of what is listed above.

A: Pours clear orange amber color. Thin finger white head. Good carbonation. Some lacing. Really tight bubbled off white head.

S: This just smells like an interesting brew. You definitely get some hop character. But you do get a lot of Belgian characteristics. Spicy notes and fruit.

T: Big cross between IPA and Belgian spiciness. Front of the tongue doesn't see anything. This lives on the middle of the tongue. Lots of Belgian stuff going on.

M: Medium bodied. Good mouth coat.

O: I actually really liked this one. It's another winner for Laguniatas with me.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

On tap at the Lagunitas tap room.

A: Clear pale color. Very nice inch thick head with white head.

S: Some citrus hops. Yeast funk. I don't really get any wheat which is for the best because wheat beers are not my favorite.

T: Nice hop flavor to begin which hen transitions into a nice malty middle. Finishes off with a nice yeasty funk.

M: Nice and crisp. Medium bodied and good carbonation.

O: I am a big fan of Lagunitas and the beers they produce. This may be my favorite.

4.45/5  rDev +8.3%

A - Awesome golden orange with thick, lasting head that laces like a mammoth glacier. Awesome look.

S - Oh wow. Oh wow wow wow. Wheat, sage, coriander, grass, lemon, hops, and the purest of malt backbones. WOW!!!!

T - Follows the nose but a bit more boozy than it should be given that it's on the lower side of the Belgian Strong Pale range in ABV. Excellent, excellent flavor though,

M - Medium to full bodied, pretty carbonated but not overly so. Carbonation gives this beer just enough runoff to kick the hops to town and be balanced by the malt backbone.

D - Off the charts amazing. This is a SOLID, SOLID beer. First time I've ever seen this and this is one of the best beers I've ever had. A beer that out-of-reach beer drinkers should be willing to trade for. This shit is awesome.

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

Note: The bottle says it's 9.4% ABV, 75.21 IBU, and has an O.G. of 1.082.

Poured into Sierra Nevada pint glass. No expiration date that I can find.

A: Nice, clear, copper color with beautiful white one-finger head.

S: I'm picking up pineapple, pine-y hops and some malt.

T: Immediate tropical fruit (mostly pineapple) followed by some moderate malt, and finally a nice shot of bitter, piney/floral hops that sticks around for a bit. Says it's fermented with Westmalle hops, but I honestly can't detect any of that.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation. Nothing exceptional.

O: Beautiful. The high ABV is not noticeable at all. I'm not sure why they put the "Sumpin" moniker on this one since it's really nothing like the original. Also, the "Wild" could also make people think this is an AWA, which it's clearly not. I also don't taste anything that would harken to a BSPA. I'd classify it as an American Strong or an IPA.

Nonetheless, this is an amazing offering. It's a great beer to enjoy on a weekend night while chilling and watching a movie or something. While it could be sessionable on taste alone, the ABV stops it from being so. A few of these will get you quite....inebriated. So, be careful; this beer is super-easy to drink, yet it has a very high ABV.

Reading the other reviews, it may be possible that earlier versions of this beer were different. It also may be possible that I got an earlier version of this, since the Lagunitas site says that the 2011 version of this is 8.85%...so I'm really not sure.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured into a snifter, this one pours brilliantly clear light copper color with a moderate bright white head that leaves nice amounts of lace on the side of the glass. The aroma is medium-high fruity esters, lots of pineapple, some citrus, hints of bready malt, inviting. The flavor is sweet and hoppy upfront, citrus hops, chewy, bready malt. The beer swallows velvety smooth, dries a good deal and a solid hop bitterness emerges. The hop bitterness lingers just a bit with a bit of phenolic yeast character also noticeable. The body is medium-full and carbonation moderate. Overall a tremendous beer, complex yet easy to drink. Very glad I got a full 6 pack, probably should get another.

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

A - Very clear pale amber. Finger of head that dissipates quickly to webbing.

S - Nice aroma. Smells of pineapple hops and citrus with some funk in there.

T - Bitter for sure, with that familiar pineapply/citrus hop, the dank hop is there as well. Balancing sweetness with good malt backing.

M - Puckering bitterness that stays with you. Smooth otherwise, medium body. Warming from the alcohol after, hidden extreemly well. Very appropriate mouthfeel.

O - Excellent beer. I prefer the sumpin' to the sumpin' wild, but still a solid beer.

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

Little Sumpthin' Wild pours out a translucent medium orange color into a snifter. One finger of white head that leaves nice lacing.

The smell is peppery Belgian yeast and orange citrus hops.

I get an interesting taste profile here. Almost some wild yeast tartness up front mixed with big citrus orange flavored hops. Finishes with a spicy, dry Belgian yeast flavor.

The mouthfeel on this beer is a bit thick and very dry with moderate carbonation.

Overall I really like this beer and its taste profile. One of the better hoppy beers with Belgian yeast I have had. Would buy and enjoy again.

a: golden amber hue.

s: hops, caramel. dash of citrus

t: hops up front transitioning to a nice malty finish. Nice sweetness throughout

m: medium body and carbonation

o: Solid offering from Lagunitas. Extremely drinkable considering the ABV. I recommend trying this at least once.

3.73/5  rDev -9.2%

On tap at Pub Hub in Houston, TX

A - Poured a copper color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of hops with some funk to it

T - Like the nose lots of hops upfront with the wild funk being pretty mild

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

O - While this isn't a bad beer it wasn't wild enough for me I would have liked it better if the funk was stronger but still a good beer thats worth trying

4.28/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer poured from bottle into a Nonic shaped pint glass

A - Beer poured with a beautiful frothy white colored head, one finger in size; held very well; plenty of sticky lacing formed; beer has a clear dark amber/copper colored body; has a good amount of carbonation stemming from the bottom of the glass

S - Wild ale, strong hop scents; caramel and roasted malt back-end; pine; yeasty fruit scents; maple syrup; clear and crisp aromas; slightly floral

T - Nice caramel roasted malt taste; plenty of pine and hop taste; creamy caramel flavor, coupled with a nice sweet fruity taste at the beginning of the drink; toffee

M - Dry and crisp; bitter lingering taste and feel; nice and creamy body; forms a heavy pine mucus taste and stimulates plenty of salivation

D - Very easy to drink; complex blend of hops and malt really work well to create a pleasant palate experience; I would have another

A Little Sumpin' Wild from Lagunitas Brewing Company