A Little Sumpin' Wild - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian IPA |  8.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: femALEist on 04-28-2010

Fermented with the Westmalle yeast strain

72.51 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Wild Alström Bros
Reviews: 933 | Hads: 3,498
3.21/5  rDev -21.7%

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear deep golden color with a two finger white head, some lace is left behind.

Smell- Citrus hops and a very faint yeastyness.

Taste- This is not what I was expecting. Really it just tastes like a dull IPA. Getting the slightest notion of the belgian yeast, but that seems to just be retracting from the hop presence, not adding any complexities.

Mouthfeel- light to medium body, smooth going down.

Overall- This has a decent flavor, but as far as being a Belgian Style "Anything" it certainly is not. The ABV's are hid nicely so at least I can get this down quick, and on to the next one! (623 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -21.7%

A= The pour produces a nice yellow color typical of the Lil' Sumpin series. The difference is the initial head is huge. About four fingers before falling to a nice three fingers high and staying steady. The lacing is excellent.

S= At first I thought I got a good wiff of some bubblegum when I was pulling the bottle away from the glass but this just smells like piney hops. A lot like a lil sumpin. I guess the hops dominate everything.

T= The taste is again very very hoppy but you can tell they used a different yeast on it. It has a little more body to it as well as a little more depth in the taste. There is a little more than just hops going on here. There is a little bubblegum as well as a slight tang that I can only describe as a Belgian yeast tang.

M= Just like any IPA... A little carbonation only this has a little heavier body.

D= Not bad at all. I dunno if I would go out of my way to seek this out though. It's really not that much different. Good but not that much different. My rating is based on a BPA (1,026 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -21.2%

This is an interesting strong pale ale. The strong hops combination provides intense floral characteristics and gives a flavor of fresh tar with a little skunkiness. This pungent flavor lingers in the mouth for good amount of time. There is only a little bit of sweetness to this beer. This is definitely a beer you have to be in to mood for, as the flavors can seem a bit overwhelming. (386 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -21.2%

Golden amber with a white two finger head of foam. Good retention and lacing. Smells of citrus and floral hops with pepper and pale malts for sweetness.

The first thing I tasted was citrus and floral hops with pepper. After a while the pale malt flavor starts to come out, but the hops are dominant. There is some sweetness , but the bitterness overpowers it.

Medium bodied and smooth with average carbonation. The aftertaste is bitter. I think this beer is too bitter for its style, but not a bad effort. (508 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -21%

Very odd wild flavor...nothing is too distinguishable enough to get a true sense of the brew. Good, not great, drinkable for the abv but my taste buds aren't that impressed. Uneventful as a Belgian IPA or wild ale (213 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -21%

Bomber poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, A Little Sumpin wild is gold with a big white head that leaves heavy lace.

Smell is some citrus hops and sweet malt. Pale ale.

Taste is similar, mostly bready malt, moderate west coast hops. Wild? I wouldn't call it if it wasn't on the label. Underwhelming.

Mouthfeel is dry, medium bodied.

Drinkability is ok, it's certainly smooth for the ABV, I'd definitely not guess it's strength by taste or smell. As a pale ale, it's good. As a Belgian IPA, it's passable. With the boasting of the wildness, combined with the usual dankness of Lagunitas' IPAs, I'm disappointed. However, like all their beers, it's an exceptional value relative to it's peers. (705 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I have had the Little Sumpin several times so I was waiting to see what this little extra WILD thing did. For me, it do not do what I was hoping for. It still was a good brew, a nice amount of hops, the nice was malty/citrus was was very special. The first taste, it had a good amount of hops, but as I was drinking it, the malt start coming through loud and clear. Enjoyable, but not exactly what I was hoping for. (415 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -20%

Pours with a thick dull white head that sits for a while. Beer is orange/amber and clear in color.

Aroma is thick with fruit and spice. Some real heft here. Pineapple, papaya, white pepper and alcohol.

Belgian sweetness up front. Candied sugar coated alcohol. This is quickly backed up by a torrent of fruit. The flavor is as thick as the aroma. A coating of hop bitterness lays on your tongue and reminds me of the word resin.

Bold, oily, thick body. A touch soapy in texture.

Interesting, but a bit sweet for me. (518 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Had at the Cock and Bowl in Occoquan, VA, poured into a Lagunitas glass.

This beer threw me off. I realize Lagunitas likes their hops, but the hops basically overwhelmed this entire beer to the point of essentially ruining the 'wild' aspect of this beer.

You got a nice grassy-saison-esque nose that hinted at the hops and the "brett" qualities that Lagunitas was searching for with the use of the Westmalle yeast strain. The first sip gives you a bit of the phenolic off-flavor they were looking for on the tip of your tongue, then the hops take over and blow your taste buds up with some bitter, bitter hops; afterwards you couldn't taste the funkiness even if you wanted to, with your mouth ripped like that.

While not a bad beer that DOES hide it's alcohol extremely well, it doesn't live up to its 'wild' name and is likely not a beer I'll be grabbing again. Pity. (873 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -19%

From 22oz bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 6/27/11
*From notes

A: Two finger head on a decent pour. Mild and unspectacular lacing rims the glass. Unfiltered warm caramel golden in color.

S: Sweet. It's got a hint of musty yeast.

T: Molasses and rich caramel. Hints of Belgo style yeast round it out.

M: Creamy enough. It's got a better body then I'd anticipated.

O: Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Wild was a reasonable little beer. Not spectacular in any way, though it managed to hold my attention long enough. I won't seek it out again, but would quaff one in a pinch. (569 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18.8%

Not gunna lie. I was expecting this to be a Brett beer but now I know.

Pours a good looking clear golden color with a sort of apple juice color as well. Nice white head and lacing.

Aroma is odd. Has a similar aroma that other Lagunitas Beers have. Sort of old overworked yeast smell. Kinda belgany but not alot. Little bit of hops.

Taste isn't that great to me. It's too malty for a Belgian pale. Hops are kinda tasty.

Mouthfeel is not dry enough and for a Belgian it needs more carb.

It's an OK beer that I don't think I would buy again. The guys I shared it with seemed to think it was ok. (597 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18.8%

A: Pours golden orange with a 1 finger head. Lots of bubbles and amazing lacing.

S: Smells of brash, grassy and floral hops. Lots of sweetness, strong malt, yeastiness, astringent and somewhat metallic. I'm guessing this is going to be potent.

T: Floral hops, grassy hops, sweet malt. The yeast smooths this beer out a lot and is my favorite aspect of this. Not sure why but this has a brash metallic taste to it, not digging that. It kind of has that imperial amber feel to it. Alcohol is felt but not all that bad considering the ABV.

M: Medium body and a lingering, astringent bitterness.

O: Well this has that Lagunitas taste to it without a doubt, I still feel like the odd guy out since I don't find it to be a huge draw. I just don't see their beers to be very unique from one another. This has enough hops to scratch your itch and some awesome yeast strain in it but the flavors aren't doing it for me. (914 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pale light orange, good head.

Strong grapefruit and caramel, also clove and yeast.

Caramel, grapefruit, clove, malt, grass, black pepper, coriander, metallic aftertaste. Dank and rich.

Dense mouthfeel.

A lot going on here, but sort of a mess. I didn't think Belgian IPA meant pouring Hop Stoopid into a Westmalle Tripel, but that's what this feels like. Some nice flavors, but at times it seems like they just collide rather than compliment. (445 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -18.5%

Brown bomber into standard pint. Served cold.

A: 2 fingers of fluffly white head, this is impressive head it looks like latte foam. Very clear gold color. Looks like thin honey. Leaving beautiful sheets of lace I mean amazing. It looks delicious!

S: citrusy and floral, a bit of sweet malt too. Digging for the belgian yeast but not finding it. Still smells like a decent ipa though.

T: hoppy like I expect a little sumpin' to be. Citrus notes and quite bitter. But a well put together ipa. That belgian yeast alludes me and that makes me sad. Very prominant alcohol burn, a little offputting.

M: medium bodied like an ipa should be. hardly noticeable carbonation. Not the smoothest beer but still pretty easy to drink despite being quite bitter.

O: a good ipa all in all although not my style of beer. Obvious citra hops in there, but Ladunitas loves the C hops. (868 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -18.3%

Pours a golden clear color with a white bubbly head.

Smell is of light malts with a Belgian candi sugar aroma.

Taste is sweet up front, very sweet. Light malts and Belgian yeast taste in the finish. Not as good as I was hoping.

Mouthfeel is sweet and creamy with a medium level of carbonation.

Not very drinkable due to the high level of sweetness. (352 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Somewhat cloudy amber, nice fluffy head. Excellent retention and lacing.
The Belgian yeast gives of lots of fruit and spice characteristics. Apple and banana, clove, some citrus. I can smell lots of fruity hops in here. Nice aroma.
The strong hop flavor and Belgian yeast clash. It just doesn't work. Way too estery.

"Belgian IPAs" are always a bit strange, but can sometimes be enjoyable. The Belgian yeast esters are just too strong here and make it a confusing beer. (470 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -17.8%

I had this for the first time last night. I have always liked the beers from Lagunitas. They do a great job with their hops and consistency. Although I liked this beer, it was tough for me to notice the "wild" or "belgian" influence. To me the beer tasted similar to the other IPAs (which are really good) they make and didn't have the wild yeast characteristics. I was expecting spice, clove, bubble gum, etc and although I could tell there was something different about this one, the hop profile seemed to just dominate the entire beer. So, in all, the beer was really enjoyable, it just didn't have the "wild" character I was expecting. (639 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -17.3%

At first I thought, "awesome, a six pack of a wild/sour ale!" Misleading title. But that out of the way:

A: Golden, one fingered head, not so good retention, and decent lacing. I love it when Belgian Golden Ale styles fill my glass with a towering head, so that disappoints.

S: Smells of fruity esters, Belgian yeast spice and sweetness.

T: The alcohol is up front, which would improve with aging. Tastes of bread, sugar, cloves. Let the beer warm and you'll get some banana and cinnamon as well. Decent flavor profile, but it never really comes together as being pleasurable.

M: High carbonation, not much bitterness as the high IBU level might suggest, and a numbing effect on the palate from the high alcohol.

O: You're not going to get a better bargain for a six pack of 9.4% Belgian style Golden Ale, but I've certainly tasted far better. Seems more like a 'get drunk' beer than one that focuses on the fine points of the style. (940 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

On tap at Brixies in Brookfield Il. Served in a shaker pint glass.

It pours a crystal clear amber with a 1 finger cream colored head. A medium amount of lacing clings to the side of the glas

Tangerine and grapefruit hop flavors are upfront and present. They aren't as heavy as I remember in other Sumpin' variants. The Belgian yeast is also present throwing some apple and peach esters in there.

The taste makes me want to categorize this as a Belgian IPA. Very bright tropical hop flavors with the added complexity of the belgian yeast. It's pretty straightforward flavorwise but still a good example.

Cabonation is medium and the finish is nice and crisp. Decent drinkability. (683 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a hazy brown with a huge head that fades fast and leaves nice rings of lace.

The aroma is fruity with spice notes and citrus hints. Lemon and orange with grapefruit notes are pungent against a yeasty, clove, cinnamon, and black pepper with bready background.

Bready bottom holds up to pungent floral, citrus and grapefruit zest flavors. Yeasty, estery flavors produce fruit, spice and some metallic notes. Leather and earthy elements too.

A thin and grainy mouthfeel

OK. Somewhat clashing but complimentary. Some chemical, metallic, and medicinal notes are not pleasant, but at least subtle. (601 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This is my first review so sorry if it's not up to par with others.

On that note, this is poured from a $5 bottle I picked up at DeCicco's in Ardsley,NY into my Duvel Tulip.

On first appearance it pours a nice two finger head which has remained throughout the entire length it took me to drink. It is a beautiful amber-gold, more reminiscent of an IPA than of the usual Belgian Strong Pales I've had.

Smell again more toward the IPA than the Belgian Pale but luckily I'm quite the hophead. Lots of citrus notes, mostly grapefruit. I'm not picking up much else from the nose.

Taking a few sips, the grapefruit is definitely tasted up front, but as it goes down, the spice is prevalent. Spices are very piney and grassy (I'm thinking basil or coriander).

Mouthfeel is light and crisp but somewhat resiny as it seems to coat my mouth. The taste lingers on my palette for a while after it's gone down. I'm not getting much in terms of carbonation as you would expect from a Belgian Pale.

Was a fairly drinkable beer, but I wouldn't drink more than 2 bombers in a sitting.

I thought this was a great beer, however because it is labeled and sold as a Belgian Strong Pale, I can't allow myself to give it a higher grade. This is not a Belgian Strong Pale, they took Westmalle Yeast and made an IPA which is fine if they market it as such. I will be drinking this again as I did enjoy it and it was pretty cheap at $5 a bottle. If you are trying to drink a Belgian Strong Pale this isn't for you. (1,497 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -16.3%

This brew pours a wonderful clear, golden color. With a huge frothly, fluffy white head. With small nice rings of lacing that remain after each sip.

The aroma on this brew is very good too. There is a definite aroma of yeasty, grassy like aroma at the front of the brew. It then kinda of finishes with a lot of citris and a bit of sweet fruits. There are some spices that are present too.

The taste on this brew is great. There was some nice sweet, yet grassy flavors that give this brew a nice semi-dry finish that let this brew become a nice rounded one. The finish also has a bit of a bitterness that helps close the whole drink as well

The mouthful on this brew is very crisp and clean. The carbonination is great and gives this brew a nice lively mouthful.

This brew is great, but the high ABV would make many drinkers, stop and move on to a lighter brew. Still a great brew, might think of classifying this brew more of a belgian IPA, rather then a strong ale, but again. I wouldn't turn one down. Would love to try some of the others (1,044 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -15.9%

Apple juice-golden hue with a two finger white head, decent retention. Noticeable hop aroma. Dare I say it wouldn't be a Lagunitas brew without it? Yes, I do. Some yeast aromas, too. Kinda sweet with a more upfront pine-almost-grapefruit aroma. I'm also smelling just a hint of melon. Chewy texture, like a thick Belgian Pale Ale, no strong carbonated presence. There's an interesting play with the hops and the 'wild' aspect of the beer. This beer as some subtle 'funk' to it, for sure, but it's not sour. It's more like a tangerine flavor. It plays with the hops in a curious manner. Burnt-sweet malt flavors, too. There's some hope aftertaste with a sour-sweet finish. Lagunitas has a way with their beers, especially when trying to make things come together. Like I've said in the past, all the right flavors are there, just not always working together. There seems to be a little more team work in this beer, but I'm not in love with the conclusion. Definitely worth a try, just not going back for seconds. (1,011 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -15.6%

Tasted on draft at Fountainhead. Pours golden with a thick but quickly receding white head. Nose of Belgian yeast, hops, citrus, and some malt. Flavors are malt, citrus, light anise and hops bitterness. Body is medium, carbonation is medium, and the finish is rather short. This is very sessionable, but not terribly exciting. (326 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -15.6%

22 oz. brown bomber bottle, no freshness dating available. Poured into a Chimay 25cl. Enjoyed on 10.29.2010.

A: Pours an unfiltered pale yellow/gold with bubbles rising. Not much of a head with even a heavy pour straight down the middle. No lacing.

S: Aroma has citrus aromas that are strong with tangerine, grapefruit and maybe papaya? - the special Westmalle yeast gives it a tart apple fruitiness that compliments the hops really well. Full disclosure: I'm really into Brett & IPAs lately...

T & M: More or less due to the smell, it's comes across super juicy and full of tropical fruit flavors. Slight bitterness lingers. A lot of citrus forward flavors. Crisp, clean and refreshing. Light carbs, semi-dry finish.

D: Drinkability at 8.85% ABV = 3.0-3.5, but as Drinkability goes, its almost a one-stop shop kind of brew.

Well done, lah-goo-KNEE-tuss. (859 characters)

A Little Sumpin' Wild from Lagunitas Brewing Company