A Little Sumpin' Wild - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' WildA Little Sumpin' Wild

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian IPA |  8.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Fermented with the Westmalle yeast strain

72.51 IBU

(Beer added by: femALEist on 04-28-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Wild Alström Bros
JGrummell

Connecticut

05-14-2013 18:27:07 | More by thegerm87
Overlord

2.55/5  rDev -38.1%

Pours a clear light orange. Big off-white foam head.

Smells strongly of spices, weird belgian yeast, and some sickly bananas. Some yeast also.

Taste introduces some light citrus (sweet grapefruit) notes to the yeast/spices/banana notes. Okay ... kind of weird. Like an IPA meets hefeweizen yeasty Belgian thang.

Well carbonated. But, primarily unpleasant.

03-23-2011 07:48:08 | More by Overlord
champ103

2.58/5  rDev -37.4%

A: This has a striking clarity. Bright and clear orange. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Nice lacing as well.
S: Typical Lagunitas. Big grapefruit, citrus, and resiny pine hops. That is it.
T: Follows the nose. Tons of grapefruit bitterness, citrus, and resin. Dank, musky, kind of perfume like hops. Isn't this suppose to be a Belgian Strong Ale?
M/D: A medium body and fairly low on the carbonation. Lightly syrupy, slick and soapy as well. Lots of bitterness, and plenty of burning alcohol makes this hard to sip on. I am struggling to finish the bomber.

Fermented with Westmalle yeast according to the label, but there is nothing Belgian or Wild to this one. Just a standard DIPA, and pretty much standard Lagunitas as well. Hop heads rejoice, everyone else move on.

10-08-2010 20:36:12 | More by champ103
KarlHungus

2.6/5  rDev -36.9%

This beer pours a hazy orange-gold color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into a small cap of lacing. The aroma is of rotten grapefruit, rotten oranges, and pine. It is not an appealing aroma. The taste is hoppy with the same rotten quality of the aroma. I can't detect anything remotely wild/sour in this beer. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, this is a pretty bad beer. If this truly is a wild ale then it is way too hoppy to let the wild ale qualities come through. As is it tastes like a poorly crafted DIPA. I will not drink this beer again.

09-17-2011 02:41:49 | More by KarlHungus
loren01

Oregon

2.6/5  rDev -36.9%

A: Pours into a snifter a clear orange color, very slight head with a little laced down the glass.
S: I swear every beer from Lagunitas i've had smell the same. Earthy/grasslike hop scent. Thats about it.
T: Small bit of sweetness up front followed by purfumey/grass hop bitterness at the end. I'm not picking up anything resembling Belgian yeast.
M: Medium bodied, finishes very dry....pucker you up dry.
D: I usually like Lagunitas beers but this one did not impress me. For me this is an average at best beer...probably won't want to try this one again.

12-06-2010 00:31:58 | More by loren01
treyrab

2.73/5  rDev -33.7%

Had this on tap last night before the Ben Folds concert in Pittsburgh. I am a fan of Lagunitas so I was glad to see this on tap, as I have never had this before. I was expecting something a little funky, but nothing too crazy for being a Lagunitas beer. I drank this beer as fast I could to get it over with and move on to the next:

A: Pours a very clear light gold (almost yellow) with a thin, spritzy white head. Not much to look at as it looks like a crystal clear Cream Ale.

S: Pale, bready malts, light toasted cereal (Cheerios), hints of Belgian spices, but that is a stretch. Really, not much going on in this one. A bit grassy perhaps as well.

T: Bland, watery, grainy. For being almost 9ABV I would have expected enough malt was packed in here to give a nice flavor. At least some flavor. This was very bland and watery. Reminded me of a Cream Ale with a touch of Belgian yeast. No funk at all. Very plain.

Overall, I would not recommend this beer. It was a huge disappointment. From now on I will stick to Lagunitas's IPAs and Strong Ales.

11-12-2010 12:17:49 | More by treyrab

09-11-2013 04:05:17 | More by tickingtimebomb
Hoptometrist

2.83/5  rDev -31.3%

Served on tap into a snifter at the Lagunita's Tasting Room

A- Pours a clear dark amber color with a one finger frothy head that leaves lots of lacing

S- Smells very sweet, very sweet grape aroma

T- Very sweet and malty, such a strong funky grape flavor, and a hop presence, but not much else

M- Full, creamy mouthfeel

O- This beer was just too sweet and one dimensional for me. It reminded me of a much less hopped Hop Stoopid that I had on tap right before this.

05-19-2011 02:34:44 | More by Hoptometrist
Hojaminbag

Colorado

2.83/5  rDev -31.3%

Little Sumpin' Wild has a rusty hued golden body with a healthy white head. Retention and lacing are both above average for this one, and it has the look of a pretty good beer.

The aroma mixes a strong hop character with strong yeast scents, giving you fruity aromas from both and peppery phenolic scents from the yeast.

I'm convinced that Lagunitas and I just cannot play nicely together. I understand why this beer is well-regarded, as it is interesting. But Damnit, I just don't like it that much. The aroma and the flavor are close; clove and pepper with a bit of bubble gum from the yeast via with the hop flavors for dominance. The hops provide a big fruity flavor and a high level of bitterness. The effect of the two mingling reminds me a lot of some concoction that set out to make a bitter-tasting version of juicy fruit gum. Light malt lingers in the background, providing a general sweetness to the beer.

The body is a little heavier than average, but the carbonation is pretty lively. Together the two attributes work pretty well.

Even as I wrote this review, I was thinking to myself "the way I'm describing this beer makes it sound pretty good." In fact, it probably is a pretty good beer, but I struggled to finish my glass and just did not particulary enjoy it. The good appearance and feel of this beer probably make its score a little higher than it otherwise would be, but in this case I think it shows that this is a well-made beer, so the score can stay where it is.

10-28-2010 23:43:32 | More by Hojaminbag
Beaver13

Colorado

2.88/5  rDev -30.1%

22oz bottle. Pours a clear straw yellow with a medium white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is earthy yeast with some resiny minty hops and some slightly rotten fruit.

The flavor is bready malts, with some slightly rotten bananas and a little spice and some bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, I would call this a Belgian IPA. Similar to others, I just do not like these - there are some weird notes that I can't describe well. This reminded me some of Bruery's Mischief, but not as bad. I was bummed - I was hoping for a sour.

11-11-2010 05:20:28 | More by Beaver13
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

2.96/5  rDev -28.2%

Bottle from Harvest Market
Pours a fairly clear light golden color with a huge fluffy bone white head that persists forever. Smells of lemon and spice with a bit of pepper, grass, hay, and earth. Light bready wheat malt pulls it altogether. The flavor is quite resinous with grass hay citrus and pine. Light pepper and yeasty phenols with a hint of light sugar. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a slick resinous almost chalky mouthfeel. Meh. too many contrasting flavors for my palette. The yeasty phenols and the resinous hop treatment are left unchecked by too light of a malty base. This didn't work for me.

09-20-2013 23:22:11 | More by johnnnniee