SF Fusion 27 - Lagunitas Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 84 | Reviews: 16
Reviews by KevT:
3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

Orange and peach color, leaves itself very hazy, thin white head. Aroma of hops. Lagunitas? No way. Hops smelled wetter, was expecting more of a belgian yeast vibe given the previous fusion quests, but this took on more of a green hop vibe, leading me to believe this may in fact be why the beer took on a bit of a hazy appearance. Wasn't massive in the nose though, just kinda simplistic.

Pretty sticky, bitter beer. Kind of made me think of the old oast ales made with hop oil, like hashish at times. Pineapply sweetness to it. Kinda reminiscient of FW's Double Jack.

Not a bad effort by any means, just haven't had any of these fusion beers I would run out to buy, I still think, for the best Lagunitas hop assault for your money, stick with Hop Stoopid, Lagunitas Sucks, Dogtown Pale Ale etc. . .

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On Tap at the Albany Tap Room for the 2015 SF Beer Week.

Pours just a magical, vibrant and deep auburn with a sassy white head. The color just jumps out at you. Is this an IPA or what?

The nose is a very clean, fruity and dank hop profile. Melons and mangos to be had underneath the pine herbal forest. Very powerful, but nothing out of place.

The taste and mouthfeel just leave you with a WOW factor. Other IPAs tend towards blasting you with one arena. Whether it be be bitterness, or citrus zest or forest. This one blasted you with everything but to an equal degree where you were on it's playing field saying hey, this is where I want my beer to be. Powerful flavors danced together from all sides inviting you in to the smooth and rich mouthfeel to get you lost. Where was I? I don't know. Find this beer now!

3.67/5  rDev -13.4%

On Tap at Toronado SF

Heard good things about this beer throughout the last few weeks for SF Beer week and Strong Beer Month. Was excited to try it.

A - Dark copper in color, slight reddish tint. Different and darker from your typical WC IIPAs. Looked OK. Decent lacing throughout the glass.

S - Earthy and bitter smelling. Tons of hops. On the board it says "SF Fusion Hop High IPA." Smells highly hopped. Dark Pineapple and citrus twisted with earthy and leafy bitterness in the nose. Smells like a HUGE IPA and powerful dank notes arise from a swirl of the glass.

T - Wow. I immediately started wondering if this was a Lagunitas attempt at a TIPA. I had no idea the ABV while drinking it but it tasted like a Over Hopped double or TIPA. Taste matches nose exactly. This one was very bitter. Great for hop heads but the bitterness would have been a huge turn off for a novice to hops. As this beer warms, sweet malts come out which I found off putting and took away from the citrus.

M - It's a big resinous bitter IPA. Tastes every bit a 9+% DIPA
A sipper for sure.

D - Wouldn't order another. One pint was enough. Not highly drinkable as there are countless other 9+% DIPAs available easier drinking than this beer. But hey, maybe that's what Lagunitas was going for here.

I was a bit let down by this beer. Great to have tried it but will not be ordering again I don't believe.

3.97/5  rDev -6.4%

I had this on tap at Lagunitas Brewery.

Appearance- gold color, thin head

Smell- floral hops

Taste- floral hops

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought it was very good. I would love to have more of it but I'm not sure if they only have it there or what. Either way I would love to have it again.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

I had this at TAPS in Petaluma, They work closely with Lagunitas from what I can see, and it was great. I believe they were the only place to get a cask conditioned lot, correct me if I am wrong.
I loved this beer and if I was not in my way to work I would have had another.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at the Hop Grenade.

A: Served a glowing clear amber with a greasy, oily, off-white head left sticky sheets of lace down the glass. A thin collar lasted the whole beer through.
S: Dank and fruity hops with notes of sweet tropical fruits and perfume. There are hints of grass as well.
T: Extremely sticky sweet and fruity hops with juicy flavors of papaya, mango, pineapple, and tangerine nectar. Sweet hints of nectarine and stone fruits as well. Very perfumey overall. The finish is sweet with honey and lightly leafy, and the aftertaste has a greasy and thick hop oiliness that lingers long after the swallow.
M: Medium full body, very smooth and greasy with a super drinkable mouthfeel. Soft creamy carbonation. Light minty tingliness. Soft overall and very smooth and delicious.
O: One of the sweeter and fruitier ipas I've had in a while. Very delicious and incredibly drinkable. Very sugary but very delicious.

4.61/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Back on tap at the Lagunitas Taproom after Waldo's Special dissapeared

10 oz pour into a stemless wine glass at Lagunitas Taproom

Appearance: Pours much lighter than I was expecting from lagunitas. Really good clarity and a nice head on it as well, though I would have preferred this in the larger lagunitas mason jar.

Smell: Strong smell of hops, almost smells fresh hopped but I did not ask. I believe the hops were mosaic, simcoe, and one other.

Taste: Extremely good DIPA. Great hop flavors come through, without a ton of bitterness. Not much of a malt backbone supporting the hops which I personally prefer. Could have been a little better integrated maybe, something about it just wasn't perfect but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Mouthfeel: Very nice mouthfeel. Not as sticky as Waldo but still has some nice stickiness. Very smooth with good carbonation.

Overall: Great beer. Won't be around long but I am glad I got a chance to try it!

4.24/5  rDev 0%

had it on-tap at Toronado during beer week. Asked the hobeled bar-keep what is was and he pretty much ignored me - so I ordered one. Liked it to say the least - felt like I could drink them all day long (was surprised to hear it was 9%). Kind of odd to hear some fellas on this board saying it was hard to drink....
Had another "Fusion" in Sac and it was totally different - I guess this is the name they give to their line they push out for beer fests.

Photo of
3.21/5  rDev -24.3%

On tap at First Street Alehouse in Livermore.

Color borders on orange. Very limited head. I think all the hops killed it.

Aroma was almost non-existent. Lagunitas makes hops bombs, not complaining, but this had no aroma.

Shocked by massive hop flavor. Extreme citrus. I'm still burping pineapple. It's difficult to balance a 9.3% beer to the hops insteAd of malt, but the geniuses at Lagunitas figured it out. Beer is light bodied considering the ABV.

Mouthfeel is light considering the ABV. I could use more body in this beer. I love the massive, citrus hops, but I would like more backing it up.

Drinkability is great for a 9.3% beer. Could be dangerous.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

A: I had this one at Toronado and a Amsterdam in SF. Lucky me! Poured into a pint at both places. It pours a clear orange amber with a no head, but very full pints! It's a great very bright pretty color with a light lacing that sticks to the glass. Gorgeous!

S: Citrus, a nice piney hops. There are some really nice fruity notes in there, tropical, gauva, grapefruit, rind and some malts hiding underneath. And last but not least some dank weed notes...but what else do you expect from a beer called Hop High: SF Fusion!

T: The taste is really similar to the nose. The grapefruit citrus rind and a nice easygoing resinous piney hops are balanced by sweet tropical fruits and low key malts. I think that the hops are definitely more predominate though; and there is still that weedy quality to it.

M&O: The mouthfeel starts out medium crisp, then smooths out into a creamier finish. It is a very tasty and drinkable beer. It hides the alcohol well, I didn't realize I was drinking a 9.3% beer, and I'm told that the IBU is 100 on this one. I would definitely say that this is yet another well done one by Lagunitas. I'm just sad it's a limited brew.

4.71/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bronze with clarity, 1 full finger of head and sticky lace all over the glass. Dank hop aroma. Dried fruit. Taste is Belgian style almost Tripel like. Double IPA. Well balanced and smooth. Awesome brew!!

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had at Barclays in Rockridge on tap. Very nice IPA. just what I was in the mood for to watch a baseball game

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a ruddy copper hue with little to no head.

S- Deep citrusey scents, hints of breadiness.

T- A barrage of citrusey hops, grapefruit, hints of grassiness, grainy notes.

M- Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

D- This is an awesome DIPA that i've had the pleasure of trying twice so far and will be sure to repeat.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

From notes from SF Beer Week. Pours a hazy orangish golden color with a medium white head that disappears quickly. Scent is intense amount of citrus fruit and hops right up front. Great apricot along with orange and grapefruit. Somewhat tropical fruit aroma as well. A lot of piney hops and just a nice overall west-coast aroma (meaning there wasn't much malt to it). Taste was just as it smelled with amazing citrus and tropical fruit flavors. The slightest bit of malt to it, but not enough to ruin this one. Great pine and hop flavor...tastes SOOO fresh. Mouthfeel is crisp and slightly sticky. Drinkability is very high, as ABV is well-hidden. Overall, I've tried a couple of the Fusion beers, and this one has been my favorite thus far.

4.04/5  rDev -4.7%

Brewed for the 2011 SF Beer Week, SF Fusion is a 280 IBU Imperial IPA. And it is GOOOD!

Appearance>Slightly hazy. Super lacy. Dark peach in color with a white head. Low liveliness. Average looking.

Smell> Smells wet hopped. The hop nose is so strong that it's hard to detect anything else, which isn't to say that it's uncharacteristic for the style, nor that it isn't completely enticing...

Taste>Not wildly complex, but holy heck is it good! Unlike many other doubles, it has a caramel finish that moves into a huge resin hang. Maybe it's my norcal roots, but this is nothing if "hella" good.

Mouf- tingly but decent.

Drinkability- om nom nom

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

Had this on-tap at Bobby G's Pizzeria shortly before the PtY madness started.

Poured a pure amber with above average lacy white head that retained pretty well for the style. Was pretty clear as well, which was good to look at.

Nose was very floral and citrusy, with an assortment of grapefruit, orange, lemon, and tropicals, mainly pineapple to my olfactorys. There was some sticky malt in the back too, but it was nothing to the other notes.

Taste was way different, as strong bitterness was tasting of plants and earth, with lots of oils and scents not unlike Triple Rock's IIMAXX DIPA. Lots more grapefruit and lemon citrus come out in this one though, and it's better for it.

Finish is a bit sticky, and bitterness is nice for the drinkability. Lagunitas hit the nail on the head with this one.

to view more.