SF Fusion - Lagunitas Brewing Company

SF FusionSF Fusion

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: 1759Girl on 02-15-2011)
Reviews by rboinski:
4.61/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Back on tap at the Lagunitas Taproom after Waldo's Special dissapeared

10 oz pour into a stemless wine glass at Lagunitas Taproom

Appearance: Pours much lighter than I was expecting from lagunitas. Really good clarity and a nice head on it as well, though I would have preferred this in the larger lagunitas mason jar.

Smell: Strong smell of hops, almost smells fresh hopped but I did not ask. I believe the hops were mosaic, simcoe, and one other.

Taste: Extremely good DIPA. Great hop flavors come through, without a ton of bitterness. Not much of a malt backbone supporting the hops which I personally prefer. Could have been a little better integrated maybe, something about it just wasn't perfect but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Mouthfeel: Very nice mouthfeel. Not as sticky as Waldo but still has some nice stickiness. Very smooth with good carbonation.

Overall: Great beer. Won't be around long but I am glad I got a chance to try it!

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

Orange and peach color, leaves itself very hazy, thin white head. Aroma of hops. Lagunitas? No way. Hops smelled wetter, was expecting more of a belgian yeast vibe given the previous fusion quests, but this took on more of a green hop vibe, leading me to believe this may in fact be why the beer took on a bit of a hazy appearance. Wasn't massive in the nose though, just kinda simplistic.

Pretty sticky, bitter beer. Kind of made me think of the old oast ales made with hop oil, like hashish at times. Pineapply sweetness to it. Kinda reminiscient of FW's Double Jack.

Not a bad effort by any means, just haven't had any of these fusion beers I would run out to buy, I still think, for the best Lagunitas hop assault for your money, stick with Hop Stoopid, Lagunitas Sucks, Dogtown Pale Ale etc. . .

3.65/5  rDev -13.7%

On Tap at Toronado SF

Heard good things about this beer throughout the last few weeks for SF Beer week and Strong Beer Month. Was excited to try it.

A - Dark copper in color, slight reddish tint. Different and darker from your typical WC IIPAs. Looked OK. Decent lacing throughout the glass.

S - Earthy and bitter smelling. Tons of hops. On the board it says "SF Fusion Hop High IPA." Smells highly hopped. Dark Pineapple and citrus twisted with earthy and leafy bitterness in the nose. Smells like a HUGE IPA and powerful dank notes arise from a swirl of the glass.

T - Wow. I immediately started wondering if this was a Lagunitas attempt at a TIPA. I had no idea the ABV while drinking it but it tasted like a Over Hopped double or TIPA. Taste matches nose exactly. This one was very bitter. Great for hop heads but the bitterness would have been a huge turn off for a novice to hops. As this beer warms, sweet malts come out which I found off putting and took away from the citrus.

M - It's a big resinous bitter IPA. Tastes every bit a 9+% DIPA
A sipper for sure.

D - Wouldn't order another. One pint was enough. Not highly drinkable as there are countless other 9+% DIPAs available easier drinking than this beer. But hey, maybe that's what Lagunitas was going for here.

I was a bit let down by this beer. Great to have tried it but will not be ordering again I don't believe.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

I had this on tap at Lagunitas Brewery.

Appearance- gold color, thin head

Smell- floral hops

Taste- floral hops

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought it was very good. I would love to have more of it but I'm not sure if they only have it there or what. Either way I would love to have it again.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%