1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Zephyr - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Zephyr
No picture uploaded.

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

California Common / Steam Beer |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: chicagoabbot on 06-21-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 28 | Reviews: 9 | Show All Ratings:
JLeege

3.28/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dry Hopped Wheat Lager, sounds interesting enough.

Appearance- Pours a clear golden color with a small white head a little lace left down the pint.

Smell- Some citrus and grass and somewhat grainy and doughy.

Taste- Some tangy wheat up front then turning a bit grainy, probably not the best lager yeast is used. Notes of toffee and slight hop presence at the finish. Pineapple and grapefruit/ a little grass.

Mouthfeel- Medium light body and carbonation. ABVs hid well, the 7.2 goes unnoticed.

Overall- Worth a try I suppose, but it didn’t all come together to well for me. I would have expect better from Lagunitas, especially considering it is a Chicago market exclusive, for where the boss is originally from.

08-10-2011 22:22:10 | More by JLeege
JohnnyChicago

On-tap at the Taphouse Grill - Westmont; served in a shaker.

A: Golden body with an off-white head.

S: Wow! I don't know about anyone else, but to me this smells like straight up cooking spices! I get a lot of basil, a little parsley and oregano. Seriously, this smells like the herb plant aisle at Home Depot.

T: Yup, same here. Basil big again, with other mixed herbs/spices. A slight hint of hop fruitiness, but mostly spices.

D: Well, I guess its drinkable. Its not what I was expecting, so that set me off a little, but I have no problem finishing my pint.

Overall: Not really what I expected, but not bad. This seems like a completely different beers than what others are describing. I had this alone, but I have a feeling that this would go great with some solid Italian cuisine. I'm thinking gnocchi with pesto... Weird, but surprisingly good. Not sure If I had an off-keg or something, but if not, this belongs in the spiced beer category.

07-22-2011 19:22:28 | More by JohnnyChicago
vande

3.23/5  rDev -17%

A: a thin looking yellowish pour, not a lot too it....

S: Unsure of here, nothing that truly stands out on the nose...maybe a mixture of light grassiness-earthiness blended with a bit of malt/hop action???

T: WHile I'm not big on STeam beers [i think], I do generally enjoy Lagunitas beers.... IF it was a blind taste, I probably wouldn't have been able to connect it with Lagunitas though... While there are some subtle hop/malt characteristics here, I don't think it is similar in profile to many of their other offerings...

M: Light, crisp...nothing that stands out...

O: $3 a pint, I was glad I tried it. I think this style is one I'll need to revisit and explore in order to appreciate it more. I'm sure that Lagunitas is probably on par with it, as they tend to be with most of their beers, but unfortunately, this one didn't do a lot for me.. Look for adjustments in the future -- if I experiment more with this style and revisit if its available...

07-12-2011 05:47:58 | More by vande
homebrew311

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%

A: pale gold color, no head, looks like apple juice

S: caramel grainy profile, some toffee notes, faint sweetness, bread

T: starts with sweet malts, waves of caramel, a touch of bitterness, nice balance, a bit dry on the finish

Mf: light crisp refreshing

O: nice take on the style, lots of flavor along with good balance

07-02-2011 02:08:12 | More by homebrew311
MrMcGibblets

3.58/5  rDev -8%

ontap at front street cantina, so unfortunately it was served in a frosted pint glass.
a: deep gold to light amber/copper color, clear. nice lasting white head.
s: muted, possibly from the glass. some light caramelly malts and a hop character i can't put my finger on...spciy? grassy? a hint citric?
t: nicely balanced between the light to medium malt sweetness and a smooth but prominent and spicy hop bitterness. i never woulda guessed this was 7.2% until i went to review it. woulda thought ~5% range.
m: light to medium bodied, nice and frothy.
o: didn't know this was a steam beer either, but i can see it. abv a bit high for the style, and it should bring more to the party for the relatively high abv.

07-01-2011 01:18:47 | More by MrMcGibblets
funhog

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a good light color.
Dry-hopped with a less common McAvena strain found from New Zealand and Nelson hops.
A good pre-Prohibition Lager. A very good beer for the summer.
Only 200 kegs of Zephyr produced for Chicago area. Draft only.
Named for the scenic train line between California and Chicago.
It’s “a lager with some balls to it."

06-30-2011 14:27:37 | More by funhog
avaldivia

4.38/5  rDev +12.6%

On Tap at Lagunitas out of a mason jar style glass

One of the benefits of living down the road from Lagunitas is that I am able to try pretty much all of their special one off releases.

A: Straw yellow with a nice head about a finger wide.

S: Yeasty. Grassy for sure but on off-putting

T: This is a great tasting beer. Bit of hop character but not overpowering. A bit grassy. Smooth and crisp which was great because it was warm and I was out in the "Beer Sanctuary" while drinking.

M: Very light and crisp. nicely carbonated but still could have been easily chugged if so chosen to. Very refreshing

Overall: A great summertime beer. They brewed it as a special release but I hope this one makes its way into the rotation next summer. Growlers are ridiculously overpriced here, but I couldn't help myself.

06-27-2011 20:54:33 | More by avaldivia
TMoney2591

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

Served in a tumbler at The Tribes.

I have heard exactly zilch about this beer, but I wanna expand my steam beer horizons, so it's goin' in my glass. It pours a clear straw topped by over a finger of light off-white foam. The nose comprises flowers, light grass, and some ridiculously light lemon zest. This thing almost has no smell. The taste holds notes of grass, light buttery biscuits, balsa, and light greens. Somehow the flavors, though not exactly strong, pop when they hit the tongue, making up for the weak aroma. The body is pretty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a crisp, dry finish. Overall, a nice little brew, the definition of enjoyable-if-unexciting beers.

06-26-2011 20:15:28 | More by TMoney2591
chicagoabbot

4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

On-tap at the Clark St. Ale House out of a pint glass. Pours a slightly darker straw yellow than other beers I've had on this style. Also quite a bit hoppier in the nose than most Cali Commons, with some of that Lagunitas signature hop zing (although certainly not as hoppy as their IPAs, it has some of the same character). Bit of funk from the yeast too, quite good. Taste follows suit with steam beer malt sweetness and spicy yeast funk with a more aggressive bitterness than any other Cali Common that I've had. Mouthfeel is excellent, crisp with nothing objectionable. Props to Lagunitas and the folks from Chicago who brewed this one, props to Clark St. Ale House for having it, and props to Toya for recommending it. It's apparently a limited release and available at a few other area bars and restaurants (I heard Big Star, Publican and Small Bar all have some, with the former being involved in the brewing).

06-21-2011 06:25:53 | More by chicagoabbot