Zephyr - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Zephyr
No picture uploaded.

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

California Common / Steam Beer |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: chicagoabbot on 06-21-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

4.5/5  rDev +16%

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.28/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dry Hopped Wheat Lager, sounds interesting enough.

Appearance- Pours a clear golden color with a small white head a little lace left down the pint.

Smell- Some citrus and grass and somewhat grainy and doughy.

Taste- Some tangy wheat up front then turning a bit grainy, probably not the best lager yeast is used. Notes of toffee and slight hop presence at the finish. Pineapple and grapefruit/ a little grass.

Mouthfeel- Medium light body and carbonation. ABVs hid well, the 7.2 goes unnoticed.

Overall- Worth a try I suppose, but it didn’t all come together to well for me. I would have expect better from Lagunitas, especially considering it is a Chicago market exclusive, for where the boss is originally from.

On-tap at the Taphouse Grill - Westmont; served in a shaker.

A: Golden body with an off-white head.

S: Wow! I don't know about anyone else, but to me this smells like straight up cooking spices! I get a lot of basil, a little parsley and oregano. Seriously, this smells like the herb plant aisle at Home Depot.

T: Yup, same here. Basil big again, with other mixed herbs/spices. A slight hint of hop fruitiness, but mostly spices.

D: Well, I guess its drinkable. Its not what I was expecting, so that set me off a little, but I have no problem finishing my pint.

Overall: Not really what I expected, but not bad. This seems like a completely different beers than what others are describing. I had this alone, but I have a feeling that this would go great with some solid Italian cuisine. I'm thinking gnocchi with pesto... Weird, but surprisingly good. Not sure If I had an off-keg or something, but if not, this belongs in the spiced beer category.

3.23/5  rDev -16.8%

A: a thin looking yellowish pour, not a lot too it....

S: Unsure of here, nothing that truly stands out on the nose...maybe a mixture of light grassiness-earthiness blended with a bit of malt/hop action???

T: WHile I'm not big on STeam beers [i think], I do generally enjoy Lagunitas beers.... IF it was a blind taste, I probably wouldn't have been able to connect it with Lagunitas though... While there are some subtle hop/malt characteristics here, I don't think it is similar in profile to many of their other offerings...

M: Light, crisp...nothing that stands out...

O: $3 a pint, I was glad I tried it. I think this style is one I'll need to revisit and explore in order to appreciate it more. I'm sure that Lagunitas is probably on par with it, as they tend to be with most of their beers, but unfortunately, this one didn't do a lot for me.. Look for adjustments in the future -- if I experiment more with this style and revisit if its available...

3.73/5  rDev -3.9%

A: pale gold color, no head, looks like apple juice

S: caramel grainy profile, some toffee notes, faint sweetness, bread

T: starts with sweet malts, waves of caramel, a touch of bitterness, nice balance, a bit dry on the finish

Mf: light crisp refreshing

O: nice take on the style, lots of flavor along with good balance

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

ontap at front street cantina, so unfortunately it was served in a frosted pint glass.
a: deep gold to light amber/copper color, clear. nice lasting white head.
s: muted, possibly from the glass. some light caramelly malts and a hop character i can't put my finger on...spciy? grassy? a hint citric?
t: nicely balanced between the light to medium malt sweetness and a smooth but prominent and spicy hop bitterness. i never woulda guessed this was 7.2% until i went to review it. woulda thought ~5% range.
m: light to medium bodied, nice and frothy.
o: didn't know this was a steam beer either, but i can see it. abv a bit high for the style, and it should bring more to the party for the relatively high abv.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »