Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 9,018 | Reviews: 1,471
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

L: Pours brilliant amber underneath a 1.5” clingy white foam collar
S: Spicy, herbal hop aromas with hints of pine.
T: Rounded yet assertive hops spice a firm malt backbone. Nothing harsh.
F: Medium body and carbonation.
O: A big, bold easy to drink beer.

4.09/5  rDev -5.8%

ok but not my favorate

3.87/5  rDev -10.8%

I have not had BS. I enjoyed this, liked the subtle sweet long lingering aftertaste but I was not as impressed by the main taste as most seem to be. Good beer though.

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very strong beer from lagunitas despite the fyck up. I was not sold on the smell but the heady amber pour was promising. Great taste, drinkable and powerful. I hope they bring this back even once they correct their mistake!

Lagunitas has quickly become my go to brewery. Beers like this are the reason why.

4.56/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

DATE TASTED: May 20, 2015... GLASSWARE: Victory Hop Devil nonick... OCCASION: Watching the Cavs try to steal a second straight in Atlanta--and relaxing after the end of baseball season, for good... APPEARANCE: Bright, pilsneresque body that releases tiny bubbles; the head is a monstrous white pillow that pitches a hedgerow of lacing; as the glass drains, excellent up-and-down lacing ... AROMA: thick wafts of sugary resin, pineapple, mango and other "strong" scents; not as much of the four grains available... PALATE: a mellow, moderately weighted body with a soft, balanced aftertaste--as easy-drinking as an 8% ABV will be...TASTE: a beautiful balance of a four-grain drag and a bevy of hops; a rather ridiculously good tasting "alternative" to the original, which I did not get a chance to sample; the resin is sharp, the pineapple palpable, the hops teeth-tethering--in a word, a full-flavored experienced that warms as it sips... OVERALL: ah, Lagunitas--thank God you have made the nationwide market a goal; grabbed a quart for $6.99 at Hope Liquors, and this beer is a perfect compliment to the night; hearty, flavorful and easy-drinking...any other aspect needed?

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Heavy hitter ale--sweet malty and potent.

3.85/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Yumm yumm in the tum-tum, ok w.e.
Always impressed with Lagunitas. So far so good :). Pours a light golden yet hazy yellow. With amazing head and lasting lacing thru out. Smells of light pine and some what strong hops, nothing over powering tho. Taste is more than expected. Actually sweet yet bitter. First sweet then a bitter after taste that lingers. Followed by a bit of off sweetness lol. I love it! Much better then their Brown Shugga'... IMO.
CHEERS

4.06/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had a quart of this poured into a straight pint glass. The color is a nice clear amber, very little head but poured perhaps a hit too gently.
Smells and tastes light and refreshing but I didn't get much flavor outside of the floral hops still good and not too bitter. I'd describe it as crisp and lightly floral. Good clean mouth feel not too carbonated

My overall sore is higher than any individual score because it's quite reasonably priced and pretty good in each category. While its not my favorite at the price point it's one of the best I've had.

3.74/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: [3.50] Pours a apricot color. There is a minimal 1/4 finger head. I am surprised by the amount of carbonation on the side of the tulip glass. It settled but initially the entire glass was coated. The beer lists the IBU (63.21) the ABV (8.0%) and there is a Julian date that works out to (4/22/15).

S: [3.25] I get wet pinapple, there is pine. I get some onion scent. The nose isn't super assertive out of the fridge.

T: [4.00] The taste wraps the tongue. There is a tropical fruit blend on the front. The entire sip sports some medium bitter elements. There is a slight onion flavor in the midpalate. There is an overall sweetness that is much higher than typical IPAs. The sweetness is the distict characteristic.

M: [4.00] The carbonation level is normal. The body has some heft to it. The finish is carried by the sweetness not by the bitterness. This is a really nice feature of this IPA.

O: [3.75] This is a really nice departure from the bitterblast IPAs that I have been having. It has the nice bitter in the front but there is a bunch of malt sweetness on the finish to blanace the beer. My biggest complaint is the weak nose - it is not coming through for me. The taste and mouthfeel are both superb. I am very happy to get this in a 12 oz offering

4.23/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Saw for the first time in my area so picked it up, glad I did. Amazed at how good it really is, not as much bite as the regular IPA but ranking up there as one of their top beers for me. Ready for more Lagunitas

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Three weeks from bottle date. Great hoppy sweet smell of grapefruit and grains. Taste is smooth clean hops, sweet in the middle, with nice bitter aftertaste. I love everything about this beer.

4.29/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The nose is slightly funky, piney and citrus. The flavor is nearly a perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness. It finishes not to thin yet slightly sweet.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wow I really Like the flavor & nose on this "substitute" from Lagunitas.
tried the Quart bottle & fell in love. like a previous poster, I decided to pick up the 6 pack I saw recently, not much different. which is awesome cause I really liked my first impression.
pine resin, fresh grains, citrus, awesome. not much else to say other than it has a clean aftertaste for the bitterness level, so very drinkable. Toast! to what may be my go-to "lighter" "Crisper" spring/summer brew. nice.

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Very happy to see this for the first time in sixers at my local market. I've tried it before in the 32 oz bottle, but this pack has to be more fresh than that last try. Poured right from the fridge into a pint glass.

L: Pours a nice, clear bright amber with about an inch-and-a-half of off-white head that sticks around for a bit before dissipating completely and leaving a bit of cling on the glass.

S: Pine hop notes are the most assertive, but there's great citrus and a bit of funk/herbal/earthiness in there, as well. The grain underbelly is also present, with a bit of breadiness to round things out. Very nice bouquet on this one.

T: There's some caramel malt sweetness and rye bread in the front. Nicely balanced flavor there, with the carbonation helping to introduce some of those great pine and citrus hop notes from the nose. Just a bit of hop funk--actually, a perfect amount of hop funk--flavor in the middle, mingling with a bit of clear alcohol. The back end is resinous hop flavor in a big way, though the malt backbone never leaves the taste buds. This has some serious flavors that blend terrifically well.

F: Medium-bodied and a shade lighter feeling than many DIPAs out there. It's not overtly sticky or syrupy, but it has a way of lingering on the palate without outstaying its welcome. There's some creaminess to the front and middle, and the back end leaves the bitter without getting in the way of the next sip. Quite drinkable for a double.

O: Well, I think I might have just found a new go-to beer. This is a stellar DIPA that's balanced without being afraid to bring bold flavors. Plenty of hops for the hop-head, and plenty of complexity with its use of grains. I have a feeling I'll be taking this one along on more than a couple of fishing trips this summer. Seek this one out.

4.27/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My favorite Lagunitas beer. So many layers of citrus and pine hops. Love it!

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dogfish head tulip. No bottle date.

Pours a clear, dark gold/light copper with 1 finger beige head. Modest carbonation and retains a thin skim of foam. Very nice lacing.

Hoppy. Resiny. Citrus. Sweet. Smells like an IPA; what else can I say. As it warms, smell a little alcohol.

Lightly sweet, Crackery arrival. Gobs of fruitiness mid-palate. Very firm but not overpowering bitterness on the finish. No alcohol whatsoever on the palate. Scary at 8%!

Light fluffy feel, perfect carbonation. Not slick, crisp. The essence of an IPA in my mind's eye (tongue)?

Overall: Very clean, balanced and refreshing. Most definitely just earned a spot in my rotation. A must-try.

3.91/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very fine beer but nothing so special

4.49/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

83 Proof - San Francisco, CA - draft

4.46/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Nice tropical aroma. Awesome complex bitter citrus flavors with nice clean finish. Easy drinking, alcohol completely masked. Top notch IPA with the flavor profile that I really enjoy.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The look is a amber with a great head.The smell is of caramel, malt, hops & resin. what a great tasting beer! I'll have no problem finishing this 32oz. :)

4.69/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Outstanding beer. Perfect balance and flavor.

3.51/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

When this first came out I was a bit indifferent towards it because it was the replacement for Brown Shugga, but after a couple it grew on me and now it's my goto

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aww sucks this is yummi

4.73/5  rDev +9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a light amber color with a thick foamy head. Head retention and lacing are excellent. Has a nice citrus, resinous aroma. There is a hint of caramel. Smooth taste with a nice hoppy finish. Piney and citrus aftertaste. Astringency is low but still there. Excellent beer. Definitely a keeper. I hear they are in 12 oz bottles now?!

to view more.