Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 8,921 | Reviews: 1,445
4.73/5  rDev +9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a light amber color with a thick foamy head. Head retention and lacing are excellent. Has a nice citrus, resinous aroma. There is a hint of caramel. Smooth taste with a nice hoppy finish. Piney and citrus aftertaste. Astringency is low but still there. Excellent beer. Definitely a keeper. I hear they are in 12 oz bottles now?!

4.66/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Hands down one of the best ipas out there. I'm so glad it's back in 6 pack. The 32 bottles were over priced and sometimes I don't want to drink that much in one evening. One to two 12 oz bottles is usually good enough for me. Absolutely amazing.

3.95/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Great beer for the price. Very fruity and juicy, as are most offerings from Lagunitas. I dig it overall but I'll stick with Little Sumpin' Sumpin'.

4.39/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer does not suck

3.43/5  rDev -21%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a very solid beer. I can't locate a date so I'm not sure how old this is. I would definitely drink this again.

4.24/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

One of the best value shelf IPAs you can find. Tons of tropical fruit and citrus when fresh.

4.02/5  rDev -7.4%

Didn't buy this until the much more user friendly 12oz bottle. Tastes like a brown Shugga jr. Very enjoyable. I'm sure this review doesn't help at all. Enjoy!

4.24/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great brew. Really like this one...might turn into a regular for me(as long as I can get it).

4.63/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My favorite Lagunitas UN-LIMITED RELEASE. They nailed it with this one, similar smell and taste to Zombie Dust.

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Great smell and alright taste

4.26/5  rDev -1.8%

Great beer, not at all what I was expecting, the hops are very promising in it his beer...I want more.

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very solid pale ale. Bitter but it is tasty.

2.67/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

It is good at first but wierd aftertaste

4.52/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle to pint glass. Pours three fingers frothy white head, with excellent retention and sticky lacing walls. Golden and orange, clear but some small particulate matter visible. Head fades eventually to thick film. Oranges immediately apparent to nose, followed by rye, spices and lemon peel. Tastes just like nose, with a balanced bitterness and cereal grains. Feels medium/heavy bodied, with moderate carbonation. Love the rye feel. Aftertaste lingers for several minutes. Alcohol is well disguised, leaving no drying sensation. Love the combination of wheat, oats, rye and barley. Makes for great complexity. This is a great holiday style ale, and their story behind this brew cracked me up. I forgive you, Lagunitas. Keep up the good work.

4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

This beer was excellent. I expected an over hopped beer, as I had previously come to known Lagunitas to have. I had it in a pint glass, which is likely not the proper way to have this, but regardless my experience was great.

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

Not exactly what I was expecting but it was delicious none the less. Great beer for a warm spring or summer day.

4.14/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really smooth. Bottle a little old, but still good

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

Surprising. This one was much different than what i was expecting, pours gold. Not much head, the aroma is strange, i get the caramel and hops followed by the malt, it's really hard to pin the exact flavors, but very sweet. The taste is what surprised me the most, so balanced, the malts and hops, and the ale goes down smooth as water. The flavors work so well together and i'm honesty so impressed with the drinkability of this guy, The bottle I got was also close to 2 months old, but man, i must have drank that thing in like 3 minutes.

4.62/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very solid beer. I'm getting pine needles, grapefruit, pineapple juice and bread on the smell. Taste is pretty smooth and balanced. Just a tad bready for me but great overall. It doesn't have anything that "pops" or really stands out to me, otherwise I'd give it a really good score. Awesome IPA overall.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Piney and grapefruit hints. Fantastic beer!

4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2014 edition, served in a tulip glass on tap

A: Dark red/reddish brown. See through in proper light. 1/2 to 1 finger of off white head that laced the glass throughout the session. No visible alcohol legs.
S: Piney, sweet, brown sugar, molasses. Big aroma from hops and malts. No booze detected on the nose.
T: Bite of pine upfront, followed by malty sweetness. The more sips you take, your palate adjusts to the bite and the brown sugar element really comes to the front. Finishes sweet and dry.
M: Medium-big mouth feel, medium carbonation. FInishes dry.
O: Big beer that's extremely drinkable. Great combination of sweet malts and hops. Definitely a go to beer for me anytime I can get it.

4.48/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent brew with a creamy head. Great lacing that stays on the glass the entire drink. Starts out somewhat slightly bitter with a slight sweet finish. One ill have again for sure. Flat out delicious.

4.36/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

L: Clear honey amber with a head made up of large and small bubbles.
S: Lemony pine
T: Piney! Little bit of citrus. Very balanced, pleasant bitterness.
F: Very smooth, amazing texture - not quite creamy, not too thick or too thin, juuuust right.
O: I really like this one and will definitely have it again!

3.84/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Really thought I was going to like this, but I felt the brown sugary sweetness didn't complement the other flavors and left an unpleasant lingering flavor in my mouth.

4.12/5  rDev -5.1%

Picked up a big 32 oz. bottle of this in Totowa a few weeks back, having never had this before. I had the regular Brown Shugga a while ago and heard good things about this. While this was not terribly strong, hopped, or potent, there was a really complex groups of flavors that allowed this beer to grow on me as I worked my way through this and let it warm up. While not as good as the leaders in this category, it's an improvement over the original version of this beer.

Golden pour to this with a head that seemingly never quit and lacing that formed nice rings over the top half of my pint glass. Not a strong aroma to this either but boy, was there a lot in the taste. Gorgonzola. Onion. Soda. Grass. Straw. Hints of tropical fruit. Apple. Crystalline Sugar. They're all here and in good proportion to one other. Much lighter than I thought, I wasn't sure how this beer had 63 IBU's in it since it didn't feel that strong or overtly hopped to me. The resembled a regular IPA or even an ESB, given how well it went down and light an impression it gave off.

While the alcohol was strong, I only felt it and could never taste it. Not the best offering from Lagunintas currently on the shelf but there was enough to like here without the usual "hop bomb" characteristics that are found in so many beers of this style. Quirky, subtly strong, and deep, this beer was typical of Lagunitas style and slightly held true to form as there was some brown sugary-sweetness that was underneath everything else here. A fun beer that's worth a go for IPA lovers.

to view more.