Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

to view more.
Ratings: 8,843 | Reviews: 1,431
4.7/5  rDev +8%

This beer was excellent. I expected an over hopped beer, as I had previously come to known Lagunitas to have. I had it in a pint glass, which is likely not the proper way to have this, but regardless my experience was great.

4.72/5  rDev +8.5%

Not exactly what I was expecting but it was delicious none the less. Great beer for a warm spring or summer day.

4.14/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really smooth. Bottle a little old, but still good

4.42/5  rDev +1.6%

Surprising. This one was much different than what i was expecting, pours gold. Not much head, the aroma is strange, i get the caramel and hops followed by the malt, it's really hard to pin the exact flavors, but very sweet. The taste is what surprised me the most, so balanced, the malts and hops, and the ale goes down smooth as water. The flavors work so well together and i'm honesty so impressed with the drinkability of this guy, The bottle I got was also close to 2 months old, but man, i must have drank that thing in like 3 minutes.

4.62/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very solid beer. I'm getting pine needles, grapefruit, pineapple juice and bread on the smell. Taste is pretty smooth and balanced. Just a tad bready for me but great overall. It doesn't have anything that "pops" or really stands out to me, otherwise I'd give it a really good score. Awesome IPA overall.

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Piney and grapefruit hints. Fantastic beer!

4.6/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2014 edition, served in a tulip glass on tap

A: Dark red/reddish brown. See through in proper light. 1/2 to 1 finger of off white head that laced the glass throughout the session. No visible alcohol legs.
S: Piney, sweet, brown sugar, molasses. Big aroma from hops and malts. No booze detected on the nose.
T: Bite of pine upfront, followed by malty sweetness. The more sips you take, your palate adjusts to the bite and the brown sugar element really comes to the front. Finishes sweet and dry.
M: Medium-big mouth feel, medium carbonation. FInishes dry.
O: Big beer that's extremely drinkable. Great combination of sweet malts and hops. Definitely a go to beer for me anytime I can get it.

4.48/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent brew with a creamy head. Great lacing that stays on the glass the entire drink. Starts out somewhat slightly bitter with a slight sweet finish. One ill have again for sure. Flat out delicious.

4.36/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

L: Clear honey amber with a head made up of large and small bubbles.
S: Lemony pine
T: Piney! Little bit of citrus. Very balanced, pleasant bitterness.
F: Very smooth, amazing texture - not quite creamy, not too thick or too thin, juuuust right.
O: I really like this one and will definitely have it again!

3.84/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Really thought I was going to like this, but I felt the brown sugary sweetness didn't complement the other flavors and left an unpleasant lingering flavor in my mouth.

4.12/5  rDev -5.3%

Picked up a big 32 oz. bottle of this in Totowa a few weeks back, having never had this before. I had the regular Brown Shugga a while ago and heard good things about this. While this was not terribly strong, hopped, or potent, there was a really complex groups of flavors that allowed this beer to grow on me as I worked my way through this and let it warm up. While not as good as the leaders in this category, it's an improvement over the original version of this beer.

Golden pour to this with a head that seemingly never quit and lacing that formed nice rings over the top half of my pint glass. Not a strong aroma to this either but boy, was there a lot in the taste. Gorgonzola. Onion. Soda. Grass. Straw. Hints of tropical fruit. Apple. Crystalline Sugar. They're all here and in good proportion to one other. Much lighter than I thought, I wasn't sure how this beer had 63 IBU's in it since it didn't feel that strong or overtly hopped to me. The resembled a regular IPA or even an ESB, given how well it went down and light an impression it gave off.

While the alcohol was strong, I only felt it and could never taste it. Not the best offering from Lagunintas currently on the shelf but there was enough to like here without the usual "hop bomb" characteristics that are found in so many beers of this style. Quirky, subtly strong, and deep, this beer was typical of Lagunitas style and slightly held true to form as there was some brown sugary-sweetness that was underneath everything else here. A fun beer that's worth a go for IPA lovers.

4.3/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

With great thanks to Wyatt

Think it's about 1.5 months old looking at the bottle date.

Pours a nice filtered looking yellowish kind of chrome. Nice well-retaining head and good lacing.

Nose is white grapey. Also melon and pine and orange-y, slightly boozy malt. Gives an impression of paw paw.

Taste is more grapey. Flavours carry through well to the taste and the flavour is consistent throughout the palate, no watery spots. More melon to be found on the palate and a decent dose of balancing sweetness which renders this tasty and drinkable. Finishes only on a real subtle bitterness which is more than balanced by the sweetness, which lives up to Lagunitas' reputation. I like this actually.

Mouthfeel has the white grape coming in midway through and retaining. Otherwise just a wholesome sort of sweet melon flavour. Hint of bitter booze on the end, which isn't really a drawback.

Only "problem" is a mild booziness throughout which is a little bit surprising for the ABV, but it doesn't particularly bother me and the rest of the elements are exceptional.

Really good beer and firmly in the new school which emphasises aromatics over bitterness. Cheers Wyatt.

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Looks like more of a light yellowy haze for a DIPA. Good carbonation. This DIPA tastes very sweet, honey, pine, mango, orange peal, tropical fruits. Going down, everything sticks right there. Then the malt kicks in on the back end to balance everything out perfectly. Really tasty beer! Or should I say sucks? Top shelf beer here people. Cheers!

4.39/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear and deep golden color with two fingers of thick foam. Minor lacing on glass. Smell is very piney and earthy, with notes of honey and sour citrus. A very hoppy and piney taste explosion on first taste, followed by honey and citrus notes. Mouth feel is slightly bitter, but not bad. Overall a top shelf brew.

4.28/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Look: Frothy head. Orange in color.
Smell: Tropical.
Taste: Tropical and some pines.
Feel: Mild carbonation. Great balance of hops and malts.
Overall: Very classic west coast IPA.

4.08/5  rDev -6.2%

I never had the original, but Sucks does not suck, but it does have a strong flavor

4.05/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours a clear gold with a creamy, thick white head.

S: Aromas of honey, caramel, biscuits, grass, herbs, mango, kumquats, grapefruit, lemon, and lime fill the nose.

T: Notes of honey, caramel, biscuits, grass, herbs, mango, kumquats, grapefruit, lemon, lime, and pine fill the mouth. The finish imparts lingering sensations of lemon, lime, grapefruit, mango, caramel, and honey backed by a swell of warming, peppery alcohol.

M: Very light in body for a DIPA. The malt is barely able to stand up to the hops. Fortunately, the hop presence is so strong and unique that the near lack of a malt body is mitigated somewhat. Carbonation is active and airy. Alcohol is noticeable, but is mellow rather than prickly. The light body, delightful carbonation, and mellow alcohol make this ale almost too easy to drink.

O: I really like this DIPA. It is very unique and easy to drink. Recommended.

3.83/5  rDev -12%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

32 oz. bottle poured into tulip
(344 4 date code -- December 10, 2014)

L: gold/light gold, mostly clear with slow little streams of bubbles lifting up the very sides of the glass (way cool!); percolates into big fluffy head of white/offwhite foam that sticks like glue, especially at the top, and last forever ... and the lacing ... wow.

S: candied orange -- there's other things in there, mango, caramel, grapefruit, maybe even bread malt (mixing with everything to form the caramel) ... but super sweet oranges almost covers it all; or pineapple juice ... really sweet, almost a pina colada

T: follows the nose with a bitter bite added in ... very sweet, candied orange but a strong hop bite that gives it some balance

F: full, thick, heavy, almost imperial stout-like, but it isn't overly syrupy; the carbonation is very soft, but it offers just enough of a tingle to keep it drinkable ... a big-feeling brew, bigger even than the 8% ABV

O: considering it's three months old in the bottle, pretty damn good. the malt has overcome some of the hop flavor, and that caramel/mango sweetness isn't my personal favorite, but even that taste note keeps in perfect step with the style ... and there's no mistaking what this is, a pillar of the American double IPA community. it's citrusy, sweet, bitter, big and just lightly crisp enough to stay drinkable. I'd hop at the chance to drink this under a month old. As it is, it's still dang good.

3.82/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Come on! Poured out of a 32 oz bottle! For the style, okay. Look is amazing in the glass, light amber. I can't locate the bottle date. A little sweet and a very slightly malty taste. Overall, enjoyable, again, 32 oz bottle!

4.1/5  rDev -5.7%

A perfect blend of hops and smoothness. Clean aftertaste. Great brew. Comes in a 32oz bottle. Pour a pint for yourself and someone you love. This is life, my friend.

4.21/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Absolutely rock-solid beer. The look, smell, taste and feel of Sucks puts it a class of its own. Delicious and worth every penny.

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

The winner here is the complexity of grain. Excellent hops inviting the body of grain. Great offering.

4.14/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Quart bottle into a tulip glass.

a: A wonderful orange-ish amber. One and a half finger of sticky, soapy head.

s: Pine, stone fruit, doughy bread, citrus.

t: Smooth but with some hoppy bitterness. Doughy bread, citrus, pine and a hoppy finish.

mf: Medium plus body...an almost pine sap stickiness to it which I liked. Medium dry finish.

o: Another hoppy beer that I have found to be very balanced. I don't always enjoy super hoppy beers but I will by this again. Especially for $7.

4.78/5  rDev +9.9%

Crisp, a little citrusy, hoppy in all the right ways.

3.92/5  rDev -9.9%

Good but standard citrusy ipa. A bit sweet. Unusually light for a DIPA, but everything else is usual. Some nice grapefruit notes bump this up a level

to view more.