Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Reviews by smalenberg:
4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Served in standard pub pint.

A - generous pour gives an inch of foamy white head that dissipated slowly leaving a lot of lace on the glass. Orange-amber in color and crystal clear.

S - Big resiny pine notes dominate over an underlying citrus (more lemon than orange). Searching beyond that with my nose in the glass and a really big sniff, they is a slight oniony note, but it is very subtle.

T - Some malty sweetness and a strong tropical fruit note (pineapple, mango) followed by a well-balanced bitterness. A lemony character is found and very late at the back of the tongue, the piney character from the nose comes through in the taste.

M - that resinous note in the smell translates to a slightly oily character in the mouthfeel that isn't unpleasant and doesn't seem out of place. It remains on the tongue long after the swallow complimenting a somewhat dry finish that leaves you wanting more. The body is lighter than you might expect for all of that.

O - I'm not a big hophead, but I enjoyed this beer. Nice to find an American IPA that doesn't overwhelm you with grapefruit rind. Easy drinking for nearly 8% ABV

smalenberg, Feb 17, 2013
4.45/5  rDev +2.1%

I like this offering more than Brown Shugga I gotta say.Poured into an imperial nonic a clear rich light to medium golden with a creamy 1/2 finger white head atop.Big pith citric hops in the nose,the aromas really jump out at ya,pine lends more hop complexity,a sweetish malt base is also well represented,light sugary sweet alcohol as well.To me this is almost DIPAish on the palate,big citric juicy hops over top of a sugary sweet base,the good thing here is the hops are much bigger than the sweetness.This is a great beer,maybe a DIPA mini-me,this is some good hop juice here.

oberon, Nov 27, 2011

don1481, Apr 20, 2014

mojohawk21, Mar 02, 2013

aszatk01, Feb 01, 2013

DanGeo, Jan 04, 2014
4.34/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a pale, golden straw color with a very nice amount of clarity - only a very, very subtle amount of haze in the middle of the beer, but you can definitely see right through this one. Volatile on the pour, producing a gigantic, fluffy white head that lasts seemingly for days and leaves behind some fat lacing.

The aroma is fantastic, a convolution of wonderful hop aromas; light pine, heavy citrus, pineapple, pears, orange zest, and various other tropical fruits. Very juicy and fruity on the nose, broken up only by the slight pine, resin, and leafy notes that play just a bit-part here.

The taste is jam packed with many different things, even some things that weren't so detectable on the nose. Pine and resin are the first thing to hit your palate, but the profile quickly transforms; citrus, pineapple, pears, toast and crackers, buttery bread, slight onion, a touch of herbal tea and a faint hint of alcohol near the finish.

Bitterness is high, but tamed, expected, and welcomed. The malt flavors combine well with the hop profile and turn this beer into a very drinkable IPA. Slightly sweet finish, a bit dry and finishing with a faint bitterness over the fading malt construction. Medium bodied with a heavy dose of carbonation that really snaps the tongue at times.

Delicious beer, right here. Lagunitas knows their way around an IPA (see: Hop Stoopid) and this beer is no exception. A wonderfully fruity nose and a well-balanced body, complete with heavy hop bitterness and dry, bready malt, this IPA is sure to please any hop head. Wish it were more readily available.

tectactoe, Jan 14, 2013
3.93/5  rDev -9.9%

Appears a light light peachy apricot with a hint of ruby to it. It almost looks like an apricot sucking candy. There's a very fluffy head, about half an inch, that is covering it entirely. I'm a bit surprised that a double IPA is coming in this light in color.

Smells Wonderful. Crazy tropical fruits here: pineapple, mango, and a little tangerine. Really nice and not too overpowering.

Taste is much more subtle than its nose. Extremely clean - maybe too much? I wish that its flavors were stronger.

Its mouthfeel is very crisp and short-lived. Here and gone in a second.

A good beer but definitely not what everyone is making it out to be. This is far from a Pliny and no where near a Heady Topper in my opinion. At the same time, I'd also rather have a Brown Sugga.

ExtraStout, Apr 12, 2014

OhioBobcat, Jan 30, 2014
4.6/5  rDev +5.5%

A: A golden beer with good clarity. A good head stand of mostly creamy, compact bubbles with a few big ones as well. The head is persistent

S: The huge citrus hops aroma ranks right up there with some of the best that I've had like Heady Topper, Ithaca IPA and Hoptimum. The hops aroma is strongly of citrus, pineapple and some mango along with a moderate herbaceous note from the dry hopping. There is a moderately light malt sweetness and a light alcohol aroma.

T: A very strong hops bitterness with a whole lot of hop flavor that reflects the aroma with strong citrus and pineapple moderate mango and grassy notes. The malt gives a clean, moderately-light sweetness. The balance is very bitter but not aggressively so. The finish is dry and the aftertaste is of a lingering hops bitterness.

M Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a bit of creaminess.

O: One heck of Double IPA, just a work of art. A happy, hoppy accident for certain!

MadScientist, Jan 31, 2013

npala86, Feb 18, 2014

jonpne, Mar 15, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz bottle.

A- Pours a very light golden color with a thin white foam head that leaves a few rings of lace.

S- Great floral and tropical smells in the nose.

T- A good deal of bitterness upfront with a nice smooth fruity hop flavor present throughout. Pear, pinneapple, lemon, and red grapefruit all make an appearance. The finish is slightly sweet and actually balances this brew quite nicely. The hop flavor isn't as pungent as the nose lead me to believe but I enjoy the complexity more than an all out one dimensional hop bomb. Even at nearly 8% the alcohol doesn't show up much at all in the flavor profile.

M- Light bodied with good carbonation.

O- This was quite a tasty brew and I'm lucky to have gotten some when I did as they were unable to brew it this year.

hbensinger, Apr 22, 2014

Schlais, Jan 08, 2013

Tedwarhc, Nov 23, 2011

Tiernan, Feb 01, 2014
4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Crystal clear golden pour with a thin white cap. Beautifully active carbonation.

The aroma is like sticking your nose straight into a fresh grapefruit. My mouth began to water instantly.

Every taste receptor on my tongue is freaking out! The skin on the insides of my checks got a little numb. Citrus! Citrus! Citrus! This is a hop heads nirvana.

Juicy light bodied glass of beer with a wonderful crisp finish and very pleasant aftertaste. I think I have found a new favorite. I will deeply mourn the passing of this holiday ale.

ArrogantDeadGuy, Dec 20, 2011