1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,252 | Reviews: 1,229 | Show All Ratings:
rickards9

Poured a 12oz bottle of this into my 20oz imperial pint glass. Quick pour yielded very little head, which disappeared almost instantaneously. Light white lacing clings nicely to the glass.
The aroma is one of the strongest, yet most pleasant smells I've ever experienced with a beer. It's entirely hops, very well balanced between grapefruit and apricot citrus and earthy pine.
Flavor followed the nose very closely. On the front, I get a load of deliciously juicy citrus hops. A subtle transition to earthy, piney hop flavor and the bitterness takes over on the back of my tongue. Not overwhelming, but leaves a nice dry clean finish. Certainly can't tell this is just under 8% abv. This is exactly the kind of IPA I've been searching for.

According to the label, "There is nothing cool about screwing up this badly and we know it" but I'd say this is pretty cool. Lagunitas, please keep this as a regular offering.

11-30-2011 01:22:41 | More by rickards9
cdizinno

South Carolina

Presentation: poured into a tulip glass from a growler purchased at Green's off Piney Grove in Columbia, SC!!

A: Golden, clear, decent 2+ finger white head after a hard pour that leaves moderate lacing.

S: Pine groves abound! Smells like HOPSLAM and the anticipation of tasting is killing me right now.

T&M: Medium bodied with a slight thickness and resiny feel. Piney, tasty hops from the beginning to the end. Some background fruity tones of pineapple and mango. Finishes with an incredibly tasteful mild sweetness and hop oiliness that is "to die for."

This is so well balanced that I may have to reduce my rating on my Hopslam review. This Lagunitas Sucks is way more drinkable and that really Sucks because I will probably have to finish the growler tonight. This is a must try if you are a fan of IPA's!!! Way to go Lagunitas.

Serving type: growler

01-07-2012 00:01:44 | More by cdizinno
GJ40

Sampled from a 12oz bottle in a standard pint glass.

A – Gold with great clarity and a big white head. Flawless. Great lacing.

S – Wow! Tropical and citrusy hops. Exceptional freshness. Again, flawless.

T – This is just the west coast IPA I’ve become addicted to. Low on the malts and huge on the hops with a focus on flavoring over bitterness. Loads of tropical fruit and citrus. Great from start to finish. Lingers for a long, long time. And the alcohol is incredibly well hidden.

M – Silky and creamy with a moderate carbonation.

O – A hop heads dream. It’s as close to Pliny as you can get with a national distribution. I’m going to be so disappointed when this release is over.

01-15-2012 21:40:16 | More by GJ40
GameFreac

Georgia

My 2nd review.

Julian date - 364 and it's my 22nd birthday today so this is only 21 days old. Poured into a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a golden color with a small head. It fades but leaves a little lacing in my glass.

Smell: Smell amazing. Tropical fruits, hops, mango, peaches, watermelon, grapefruit. This is my favorite part about this beer.

Taste - follows the nose. Not as good as the nose but very close. Just hoppy with those mango/tropical flavors. Also has a slight malt/bready taste that balances it out and a bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Feels creamy but very drinkable. I don't detect the alcohol at all at 7.85% abv.

Overall: One of the best beers I've ever had - in my top 10. I'm sad that this will only be a seasonal since I got a single, then got a 6 pack, then got another 6 pack (this was part of the Leftovers). I usually always get new beers but I went back to this brew twice. It's that damn good. Here's hoping they make this a year round beer. If not, get it while you can. You won't regret it.

UPDATE:

Had this year's batch and it's as good as ever. My favorite IPA.

01-20-2012 07:05:50 | More by GameFreac
threeviews

Poured from a 12oz stubby (bottled on 12/30/2011) into a 14oz Libbey snifter.

A- Pours a yellow-tinged (sunset) orange with slight haze and 2-finger head. Oh, what a beautiful sight...reminds me that summer is one day closer. I was surprised to discover this brew to be bottle conditioned as I observed slight yeast sediment before decanting (which contributed to its cloudiness).

S- A massive dose of tropical fruit (pineapple, mango, passionfruit, peach) with ample citrus notes (orange, tangerine and grapefruit) engulfs the nose. Once the head subsides to a thin film on the surface (and remains for the duration), you are left with sweet orange and ruby red grapefruit goodness. Simply delicious.

T- Malt sweetness and hop bitterness combine to make an amazing experience. Sweet and bitter tropical fruits dances on the palate and finishes with a pleasant & mild, piney bitterness. While the malt bill is more perceivable with Maximus, this recipe allows the aroma and flavor reign supreme. At almost 8% ABV, no alcohol is perceived...I could drink this for days!

M- Sweet and bitter in equal amounts. The palate is never dominated by either. Carbonation is moderate and fits the profile perfectly.

O- What can I say!? For me, Lagunitas is one of those "can do no wrong" breweries. They never disappoint and I implore everyone to try at least one of their offerings. As far as this brew is concerned, I would love for nothing more than this to become an "Unlimited Release" (i.e. year-round). Until then, I'll savor the two 6'rs I was lucky enough to find and hope this is only the first of future batches.

Postscript: I was able to obtain 3 more 6'rs and at well over 3 months since its bottled date, the hop aroma and flavor is just as brillant...amazing!

02-08-2012 00:03:51 | More by threeviews
HeresToHopping

Appearance: Hazy orange/pale amber in color with a beautiful 2-3 finger thick creamy white head. Lots of thick lacing that sticks rather firmly to the glass.

Aroma: Citrus (orange peel, loads of grapefruit, lemon zest and tangerine), resiny, as well as slight pine notes as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel: A very complex, and clean citrus taste on the front end (grapefruit overload, followed by orange peel and lemon zest). This balances well with the sweet pale malt flavors that follow through in the middle. The sweet bready malt flavors fade, and then the bittering hops bite you on the back end on the finish. Medium body brew, with a moderate amount of carbonation. The sweet malt flavor leaves a nice resiny feel in the mouth, and keeps the beer from being overly dry.

Overall: A perfect DIPA. I can't get over how crisp and clean the hop flavors and aromas are in this beer. Honestly, this beer has some of the most clean, and complex hop flavors and aromas I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying. Lagunitas really does create magic with hops, and how well they balance out strong hop profiles with sweet, complez malt flavors as well. If you love hops, you'll love this. I can find nothing wrong with this beer, at all.

01-21-2013 20:28:56 | More by HeresToHopping
HopHeadRyan

My new favorite brew...this is a superbly superior libation...

On my second case of this awesome hoppy creation from Lagunitas...glad they distribute to my area in central PA....

A - nearly clear golden orange hue...creamy 1/2 inch head that fades but leaves lacing around the edges all day...

S - A beautiful bouquet of tropical fruits, pine, citrus peel, and a hint of sweet cereal grains...awesome!

T - Juicy resiny hoppiness with enough malt character to keep things in check...so balanced and easy to drink for the higher abv...its scary-good!

M - Smooth and creamy, light carbonation, almost cask-like...medium bodied but not too syrupy just the right amount..

Overall - A great beer yet again from Lagunitas...I love nearly everything I've had from their line-up. I'm a fan and you will be too...this is one of the best IPAs/DIPAs in the WORLD! Get some! Cheers!

04-25-2013 21:49:17 | More by HopHeadRyan
bpasquini

A: Orangish Copper in color with quarter-half inch thick white head, leaves a good amount of lacing

S: Pine, Some Citrus, Orange, hint of lemon, and something sweet like caramelized sugar, very well balanced

T: Great mixture of the pine and citrus hop flavors, pine being a little more dominant, the sweet malt flavors are what balance this beer out, everything seems to be blended perfectly together, bitterness level is also perfect for this beer, not overpowering but still lets you know it's there

M: Very light, not oily, leaves your mouth a hint dry making you want to keep drinking, which is a good thing for this beer

O: Great beer, if you see this buy it! My new favorite, everything is so well blended in this beer, and I'm not normally a fan of pine hop flavored beers

05-21-2013 09:20:30 | More by bpasquini
DemoniChris

Nebraska

A - Pours a lovely golden yellow-orange with a pretty impressive head that is long-lasting.

S - Oh man... This is pure bliss. Grapefruit, orange, mango, dank hops that you can smell a yard away from the glass. Arguably the beers best trait followed by the taste.

T - Heaven. Extends from the smell quite well. Fruity tropical dank hops with a tiny bit of malt. Big mango notes with grapefruit rind definitely apparent. The nearly 8% ABV is masked with finesse.

M - Brilliantly balanced between malt and carbonation. Leaves you wanting another sip each time you put it down.

O - I've been trying to get a hold of one of these beers for a while. Do yourself a favor and seek this beer out if you haven't already.

06-04-2013 11:02:26 | More by DemoniChris
SteveB24

appearance; light amber, lots of carbonation, two fingers of off white, sticky head that retains well.

smell; tons of mango, with additional pineapple, grapefruit, and a hint of pine-like grassiness.

tatse; like the smell, but with heavier emphasis on the hop flavors of citrus and pine, the mango is there along with hints of pineapple, followed by strong notes of cities and piney bitterness.

mouthfeel; light body, slightly crisp, carbonation is strong but not overpoweringly so.

overall; my scoring says it all, to me this is an IPA, so i don't really get how its connected to brown shugga, but with the strong fruit which is so beautifully balanced by hops, this beer is very drinkable, satisfying but not strong, and an overall wonderful experience without making you feel weighed down.

01-01-2014 08:18:28 | More by SteveB24
themind

This brew lives up to the hype! The hops are there, the mouthfeel is good, the aroma is tantalizing but I do have an issue. The hops used in the brew have a distinct taste and its a good one! I could drink a ton of these. I had to revisit this beer and found it to be an amazing brew. If you can get some, do it! it's a beast!

Bottom Line: Great beer!

Revisit: I just cant not give this a 5/5! it's amazing! I could drink this all the time, just a stellar beer period.

01-18-2014 10:07:12 | More by themind
bball208

Now this, my friends, is an IPA!!!

Don't know what's better, the aroma or the taste. Either way, perfect 10/10 in my book. This is the juiciest IPA of them all. Aroma, I get tons of tangerine, mango, and loads of pineapple. It smells so damn sweet and a little tangy, super funky attitude on the aroma!! I would wear this as cologne. The taste is... It's like a fruitsnack turned to liquid. Absolutely phenomenal. Not overly sweet, perfect amount of bitter, not much bitter at all with all the complexity of a great IPA. I wish I could have this beer every day. It is a MUST try.

I know you beer snobs look down on those who age IPAs, but I'm going to age this one, along with every other IPA i've had. I'll tell you what, if you love beers, specifically IPAs, you would do the same. Not necessarily because you're looking to improve the beer, but because you are trying to deconstruct it in a way. Remove some of the hops that delightfully highlight the beer, and focus on the underlying tones that supplement those fresh hops. When I tried heady topper with a year of age, it honestly tasted so much better without the distraction of the intense bitterness on a 2 day-old batch. I say, if it has at least 8% abv, age it regardless of what class beer it is.

01-22-2014 05:10:42 | More by bball208
Kahless

Kansas

Review based on the Handwritten review I made on 1/9/2014 during the snowstorm. We just started getting Lagunitas here in Kansas so I was really excited when I saw this on the shelf. The Julian date was 004 so that means it was 5 days old when I had it .

Poured into a tulip. It's a golden yellow with a one finger white head. The aroma is perfectly balanced - bitter, but with lots of grapefruit sweetness underneath.

Tastes follow the smell. It 'a a bit hard to say why it's so good, because it's all just typical IPA tastes, but I can say that you notice a different citrus flavor on every sip. First it's grapefruit, then orange, then mango.

Overall, totally delicious and absolutely lives up to the hype. In my relatively short craft beer drinking life, this is the best IPA I've had.

01-28-2014 03:34:55 | More by Kahless
LloydBobBoozehound

I hope this brew doesnt go '"undercover"!! I really enjoyed it this winter, as did my family and friends i introduced it to! Im gonna keep writing because beer advocate insists that i have 250 words. Anyways I really hope you guys keep this beer around as a seasonal pickup cuz, picking up a 32 oz beer from the store and telling your wife "babe I only had one!!" , is great. but i have to say its a very hoppy, smooth, and comforting beer for the winter time to share with family and friends.

02-27-2014 01:13:18 | More by LloydBobBoozehound
Gfunk

Maine

The citra grapefruit flavor is amazingly overpowering, this beer taste dangerously good. You get what you pay for with the taste and the kick. I've been a huge Lagunitas fan for awhile, even being from Maine. We've gotten almost every beer they make. The Dogtown IPA and Daytime are perfect summer drinkable beers. The Sucks is perfect for fall/winter. It's been my go-to beer for a couple months now. It is exploding with flavor!

03-05-2014 22:59:38 | More by Gfunk
MV_CHI-NS

Appearance: An interesting deep amber/citrine body with an ivory/magnolia head.

Aroma: Beautiful floral and citrus notes, carried-through by a light, yet quite profound, hop nose.

Taste: Much like the aroma; a tidal wave of wild flowers/crisp citrus under a bed of hops. Trust me when I say that your first thought when drinking this will be, "that is how an IPA should taste."

Mouthfeel: While many IPAs have the propensity to leave your palate a bit dry, this one is 'wet' and therefore crisp, refreshing, and leaves you wanting more.

Overall: Hands-down, one of the best IPAs I have had in a while (a position which has, until this point, been held by Three Floyds' 'Space Station: Middle Finger' - which I know is an APA, but it is close enough to an IPA as it can get). Get it. Drink it. Enjoy.

04-13-2014 06:03:07 | More by MV_CHI-NS
WVU

4.99/5  rDev +14.2%

Landed a case of this 01/22/13.

A- Liight gold color wth thin crusty lacing.

S- This beauty smells of fresh grass, spruce and pine that will remind you of harvesting a fresh xmas tree.

T- WOW! Not much more you can say. This is a massive home run by the masters in Cali.

M- This puppy is suoer light on your mouth compared to other beer with this much success.

O- Perfection! Buy as much as you can, I have only found a few brews this good (Founders Harvest Ale , Bells Hopslam, Ballast Pt. Sculpin) which are around double the cost. Had it on tap last month at Fireworks in Leesburg and it was even better.

01-23-2013 04:07:04 | More by WVU
snohojimbo

Washington

4.99/5  rDev +14.2%

If it wasn't for all the positive comments on BA about this beer, I may not have ever tried one. But I'm glad I did because it is awesome! Found it in the singles for $1.77 a bottle, grabbed the last 2 they had. Great price, most "top-notch" brews are in the $3 range at least.

Poured into a snifter glass, nice copper color, nice lacing.

Smell? Like laying down in a forest of pine needles, with a basket of peaches spilling about!

Taste is the best part. After initially numbing the tongue, it slides down ever so smoothly, leaving a sweet, sticky residue. So good.

I've only seen this beer in one store so far, and can't wait to get some more of it! :)

03-09-2013 07:38:42 | More by snohojimbo
yuenglingfan101

Indiana

4.99/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured into the trusty pint glass. nice brownish golden color to it more like a brown sugar color. Nice lacing not to thin and not to thick. Smells like heaven and tastes very smooth for an Imperial IPA. Not a strong after taste but a well worth tasting beer. Mouth of addicting flavor and overall irresistable beer. Two thumbs for this beer

04-22-2013 08:14:48 | More by yuenglingfan101
sublimesipping

4.98/5  rDev +14%

I have been looking for the beer to finally pair with my mom's Xmas cutouts, for several years an informal search. Finally, my search is over. Being a hophead, the search results are an added ++.
What to say, defininitely does not suck. Au contrare, reverse psychology. WOW! blows me away with deep piney goodness. Clear bright like Santa's sleigh on a moonlit night... this is my XMAS beer I am drinking a XMAS tree...
Procure a case at last and now in Jan its XMAs in a a glass= piney but also floral and fruity(citrus galore) a great beer so smooth hides the ABV well dangerously drinkable, recommend in front of the fire or with some sweet baked goods, the play between the bitter and sweet is priceless..
Close by saying one of my best beers of 2011, the new case does not disappoint in 2012. a Great beer . World Class and sublime.
Lagunitas make it again.
1/25/13-first bottle of the second year batch and love it as much as last year. The review stands and the beer stands to attention. THE BEST. The best lauginitas by far in Mg opinion great world class ADPA.

01-26-2013 02:55:40 | More by sublimesipping
CallMeHarmon

4.98/5  rDev +14%

Appearance - Pours a medium brown with maybe some orange. Decent head which doesn't stick around too long and becomes lace.

Smell - Slightly sweet and very promising.

Taste - What an unbelievable blend of hoppiness and and hint of fruit. I could drink this all day if it weren't so scarce.

Mouthfeel - Good body, taste, carbonation.

Overall - This is the best beer I've ever had from Lagunitas, and they make awesome beers. I wish they brewed Lagunitas Sucks year round. Then it would be a holiday every day. They say they are adding capacity; it should be devoted to this beer.

02-18-2012 14:47:48 | More by CallMeHarmon
edgeh2o

4.98/5  rDev +14%

Probably my new favorite from Lagunitas. All of their beers are arguably among the best, but this one is something special. Everything I look for in an IPA, and more. Great smell, equally great taste. I wish this was a regular offering, because I'm craving one right now!

08-24-2013 22:39:52 | More by edgeh2o
TheBishop

Montana

4.98/5  rDev +14%

Don't believe I had a DIPA as creamy as this. This is a west coast IPA to perfection. Ridiculous amount of hops yet not overpowering bitter. This could easily be a session IPA if not for the high abv. Second best IPA I have had and probably in the top ten of beers I have tried. Nice brew.

02-02-2014 22:59:12 | More by TheBishop
WMEugene

4.97/5  rDev +13.7%

A - Pours a clear, bubbly golden amber color with a one-inch head and good lacing.

S - Strong punch of hops upfront. Citrusy with a hint of bitterness. A little pine as well. Very, very nice.

T - Strong hoppy flavors - picked up grapefruit, a little lemon and some orange. Some pine notes as well. Also can taste a slightly caramelish backbone of malts. The hops run the show and make this a definite winner.

M - Medium bodied, a little fuller than a normal IPA. Great carbonation, a dry finish with some noticeable hop flavors and bitterness.

O - Wow, this was better than I was expecting. Lagunitas hit this one out of the park. It's right up there with SN Celebration as not only the cream of the crop for winter beers, but for widely distributed IPAs. It's an embarrassment of riches right now. I want some more please!

12-20-2011 00:05:17 | More by WMEugene
RoninTK3

New Hampshire

4.96/5  rDev +13.5%

A - Translucent orange/brown with a thin head that sticks around and lots of carbonation bubbling up.

S - Grapefruit, citrusy hops, and tangerines. A bit of sweetness. Mostly hops.

T - Grapefruit, oranges, lots of citrusy hops. Some sweet maltiness balances out the hops. This is a pretty complex taste. Love the fruity hops!

M - Medium bodied and medium carbonated with a bit of creaminess.

Wow! This is a really great double IPA. About as perfect as I've had. I love Lagunitas and Brown Shugga but this one really takes the cake. I haven't had anything from these guys that I didn't love.

01-22-2013 03:26:30 | More by RoninTK3