Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
eulerthegrape

02-03-2013 20:41:29 | More by eulerthegrape
teleforce

Nebraska

02-25-2013 18:48:16 | More by teleforce
bball208

Now this, my friends, is an IPA!!!

Don't know what's better, the aroma or the taste. Either way, perfect 10/10 in my book. This is the juiciest IPA of them all. Aroma, I get tons of tangerine, mango, and loads of pineapple. It smells so damn sweet and a little tangy, super funky attitude on the aroma!! I would wear this as cologne. The taste is... It's like a fruitsnack turned to liquid. Absolutely phenomenal. Not overly sweet, perfect amount of bitter, not much bitter at all with all the complexity of a great IPA. I wish I could have this beer every day. It is a MUST try.

I know you beer snobs look down on those who age IPAs, but I'm going to age this one, along with every other IPA i've had. I'll tell you what, if you love beers, specifically IPAs, you would do the same. Not necessarily because you're looking to improve the beer, but because you are trying to deconstruct it in a way. Remove some of the hops that delightfully highlight the beer, and focus on the underlying tones that supplement those fresh hops. When I tried heady topper with a year of age, it honestly tasted so much better without the distraction of the intense bitterness on a 2 day-old batch. I say, if it has at least 8% abv, age it regardless of what class beer it is.

01-22-2014 05:10:42 | More by bball208

02-19-2012 03:53:10 | More by mcphish22
yuenglingfan101

Indiana

4.99/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured into the trusty pint glass. nice brownish golden color to it more like a brown sugar color. Nice lacing not to thin and not to thick. Smells like heaven and tastes very smooth for an Imperial IPA. Not a strong after taste but a well worth tasting beer. Mouth of addicting flavor and overall irresistable beer. Two thumbs for this beer

04-22-2013 08:14:48 | More by yuenglingfan101
WVU

4.99/5  rDev +14.4%

Landed a case of this 01/22/13.

A- Liight gold color wth thin crusty lacing.

S- This beauty smells of fresh grass, spruce and pine that will remind you of harvesting a fresh xmas tree.

T- WOW! Not much more you can say. This is a massive home run by the masters in Cali.

M- This puppy is suoer light on your mouth compared to other beer with this much success.

O- Perfection! Buy as much as you can, I have only found a few brews this good (Founders Harvest Ale , Bells Hopslam, Ballast Pt. Sculpin) which are around double the cost. Had it on tap last month at Fireworks in Leesburg and it was even better.

01-23-2013 04:07:04 | More by WVU
snohojimbo

Washington

4.99/5  rDev +14.4%

If it wasn't for all the positive comments on BA about this beer, I may not have ever tried one. But I'm glad I did because it is awesome! Found it in the singles for $1.77 a bottle, grabbed the last 2 they had. Great price, most "top-notch" brews are in the $3 range at least.

Poured into a snifter glass, nice copper color, nice lacing.

Smell? Like laying down in a forest of pine needles, with a basket of peaches spilling about!

Taste is the best part. After initially numbing the tongue, it slides down ever so smoothly, leaving a sweet, sticky residue. So good.

I've only seen this beer in one store so far, and can't wait to get some more of it! :)

03-09-2013 07:38:42 | More by snohojimbo
CallMeHarmon

4.98/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance - Pours a medium brown with maybe some orange. Decent head which doesn't stick around too long and becomes lace.

Smell - Slightly sweet and very promising.

Taste - What an unbelievable blend of hoppiness and and hint of fruit. I could drink this all day if it weren't so scarce.

Mouthfeel - Good body, taste, carbonation.

Overall - This is the best beer I've ever had from Lagunitas, and they make awesome beers. I wish they brewed Lagunitas Sucks year round. Then it would be a holiday every day. They say they are adding capacity; it should be devoted to this beer.

02-18-2012 14:47:48 | More by CallMeHarmon
TheBishop

Montana

4.98/5  rDev +14.2%

Don't believe I had a DIPA as creamy as this. This is a west coast IPA to perfection. Ridiculous amount of hops yet not overpowering bitter. This could easily be a session IPA if not for the high abv. Second best IPA I have had and probably in the top ten of beers I have tried. Nice brew.

02-02-2014 22:59:12 | More by TheBishop
sublimesipping

4.98/5  rDev +14.2%

I have been looking for the beer to finally pair with my mom's Xmas cutouts, for several years an informal search. Finally, my search is over. Being a hophead, the search results are an added ++.
What to say, defininitely does not suck. Au contrare, reverse psychology. WOW! blows me away with deep piney goodness. Clear bright like Santa's sleigh on a moonlit night... this is my XMAS beer I am drinking a XMAS tree...
Procure a case at last and now in Jan its XMAs in a a glass= piney but also floral and fruity(citrus galore) a great beer so smooth hides the ABV well dangerously drinkable, recommend in front of the fire or with some sweet baked goods, the play between the bitter and sweet is priceless..
Close by saying one of my best beers of 2011, the new case does not disappoint in 2012. a Great beer . World Class and sublime.
Lagunitas make it again.
1/25/13-first bottle of the second year batch and love it as much as last year. The review stands and the beer stands to attention. THE BEST. The best lauginitas by far in Mg opinion great world class ADPA.

01-26-2013 02:55:40 | More by sublimesipping
edgeh2o

4.98/5  rDev +14.2%

Probably my new favorite from Lagunitas. All of their beers are arguably among the best, but this one is something special. Everything I look for in an IPA, and more. Great smell, equally great taste. I wish this was a regular offering, because I'm craving one right now!

08-24-2013 22:39:52 | More by edgeh2o
WMEugene

4.97/5  rDev +14%

A - Pours a clear, bubbly golden amber color with a one-inch head and good lacing.

S - Strong punch of hops upfront. Citrusy with a hint of bitterness. A little pine as well. Very, very nice.

T - Strong hoppy flavors - picked up grapefruit, a little lemon and some orange. Some pine notes as well. Also can taste a slightly caramelish backbone of malts. The hops run the show and make this a definite winner.

M - Medium bodied, a little fuller than a normal IPA. Great carbonation, a dry finish with some noticeable hop flavors and bitterness.

O - Wow, this was better than I was expecting. Lagunitas hit this one out of the park. It's right up there with SN Celebration as not only the cream of the crop for winter beers, but for widely distributed IPAs. It's an embarrassment of riches right now. I want some more please!

12-20-2011 00:05:17 | More by WMEugene
weiserr

Connecticut

4.96/5  rDev +13.8%

12 ounces of liquid gold poured into a Sierra Nevada pint. This full-figured, voluptuous beauty fills out her repository in ways that other beers can only imagine. A pronounced fluffy white head gives way to myriad lace patterns resembling constellations and snowflakes. Quite impressive. The nose on this one is without rival. I've smelled some really good IPAs in my day, many of which I've yet to review, but this one takes the cake. Brown sugar, grapefruit, pineapple, and tobacco leaf invade the senses and demand that you come back for more. As remarkable as it smells, it tastes just as good. Distinctively hoppy, yet equally balanced by a generous amount of citrus flavors. Despite the Imperial billing, the abv is barely detectable. The mouthfeel is silky and smooth like a nice pair of legs. Lagunitas turned what could have been an accident into, what is in my opinion, the best beer in their inventory. Like Kate Upton emerging from a pool in a curve hugging bikini, this beer arouses me in ways that are beyond words. Sucking never tasted so good.

01-29-2014 22:25:11 | More by weiserr
Rion

4.96/5  rDev +13.8%

By far probably my favorite beer that I have tried! Poor's a beautiful golden color with a really nice head that settles well. Holy Shit the smell is absolutely fantastic. Pineapple, grapefruit, orange just an amazing smell that takes my breath away. Taste just as good if not better then it smells. The carbonation is very well balanced and the sucks is a very easy beer to drink. But WOW just a fantastic beer!!

01-30-2013 14:53:40 | More by Rion
RoninTK3

New Hampshire

4.96/5  rDev +13.8%

A - Translucent orange/brown with a thin head that sticks around and lots of carbonation bubbling up.

S - Grapefruit, citrusy hops, and tangerines. A bit of sweetness. Mostly hops.

T - Grapefruit, oranges, lots of citrusy hops. Some sweet maltiness balances out the hops. This is a pretty complex taste. Love the fruity hops!

M - Medium bodied and medium carbonated with a bit of creaminess.

Wow! This is a really great double IPA. About as perfect as I've had. I love Lagunitas and Brown Shugga but this one really takes the cake. I haven't had anything from these guys that I didn't love.

01-22-2013 03:26:30 | More by RoninTK3
shacawgo24

4.96/5  rDev +13.8%

A-Orange-yellow-gold. Like orange Jell-O, the color of the body displays a glossy sheen. Amber when held in light. A cloud-white two and a half to three finger head bubbles atop the body. The lacing is soapy, and forms white tear drop streaks on the glass. Head & lace have good to great retention.

S-Peach forward. Grapefruit. A sweet, bold orange smell, like mandarin specifically. Papaya. Lemon & lime. Cut grass. Pineapple. Mango. A very fragrant bouquet.

T-Starts juicy. Hoppy. Slightly peppery. Again, more peach forward. Grapefruit, mango, papaya, citrus peels and kiwi account for the juiciness. The middle is a sweet bread flavor, like potato bread. The finish is alkaline, slightly bitter & slightly sour.

M-Medium body. Medium carbonation. Peppers the palate and yet cools as well via fruits. Juicy feel. Hops round out the end-sip feels giving a bitter-sour alkaline finish and aftertaste.

O-Top shelf beer. Highest level of hops are contained in Sucks before it becomes verifiably pungent like a super high ABV level Double India Pale Ale. I always forget Sucks is a DIPA. It tastes like a robust IPA. If the brew had a more creamy feel at the outset with longer lasting carbonation, and if the color of body were more distinct and uniformed, (not a toss-up of yellow/orange/gold) it would get a perfect score all across the board. But regardless, one can't name too many beers better than Sucks. Happy it's more available now due to demand.

01-30-2014 19:53:30 | More by shacawgo24
allanmrego

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

pours golden, clean. everything is balanced very well. it has a great hop bouquet. the maltiness and bitterness are balanced perfectly for the style. overall i gave it a 4.75 because there has to be something better, but this is on top for me right now.

01-27-2014 23:41:43 | More by allanmrego
gshak

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

A - pours a clear golden yellow, with a finger's worth of head that dissipated quickly leaving some lacing.

S - probably the best aspect of this beer. Overwhelming aromas of guava, mango and peach. Some pineapple and citrus notes as well. Exceptionally well done...reminiscent of Avery Maharaja, albeit a less malty, intense version.

T - extremely well balanced. Sweetness from the malts upfront, cut by the hops in mid-palate, and a very smooth and crisp finish, inviting another sip.

M - medium mouthfeel, light carbonation and hits the spot for an ipa with none of the cloying, sticky overbearing sugary richness typical of american dipa.

D - this concoction is so dangerously drinkable that in the interest of public welfare, I may have to take away some points. But then again, oh well ....

This is, by far, the best sixer your $10 can buy this holiday season.

12-05-2011 07:26:54 | More by gshak