Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
4.78/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a bottle. Color is a nice golden yellow. A pretty aggressive pour led to about 1 finger of white head that disappeared quickly.
smell was great, tropical fruit citrus and pine.
taste followed the smell it had a nice sweetness that was well balanced by the bitterness of the hops.
overall a very good beer.

homebrewer88, Jan 10, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A- a beautful deep gold with about a half inch white head which turns into a pretty thick lacing that lasts until the last sip.

S- this is one of my favorite smelling beers. Pine with notes of citrus and grapefruit that just explode into your nose.

T- very similar to the smell. Up front orange, grapefruit, lemon, honey and on the back end a crisp hoppiness that sits on the back of your tongue.

M- slightly carbonated with a nice crispness fron the hop.

O- a very delicious beer. One of my favorite IPAs. Up there with dirtwolf and jai alai in my book.

mlhyatt, Jan 22, 2014
4.78/5  rDev +9.6%

Clear golden orange beer with a foamy white head.

Pungent hops, slight sweetness, and some malt in the aroma.

Sweetness and hop flavor. This beer tastes great! Lots of hop flavor and complexity. Some bitterness, but not over the top.

Medium bodied. Carbonation seems right. No complaints here.

This is one of the best Double IPAs I've had. It reminds me of an all-Simcoe homebrew I made earlier this year.

UnderPressure, Dec 28, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I had not planned on picking this beer but it caught my eye and thought I would give it a try. Been a fan of Lagunitas for years now and when a new one makes its way to Canada I have to give it a try.

It did not disappoint and it surpassed what I had expected. As soon as it was cracked you could smell the floral aroma. It's a smooth, easy to drink Double IPA - Sweet but not to sweet with a strong hop backbone, extremely well balanced. Definitely worth it if you can find it.

CoastMtnBrewer, Jun 14, 2013
4.78/5  rDev +9.6%

Wow! is the first thing that comes to mind. My buddy Ed told me how good this beer was. I didn't consider trying it because the label says Brown Shugga subsitute, understandablyI ssumed it was a similar type beer. No way, this double IPA is awespme. The ultra piney aroma hit me in the face as I opened the bottle. The beer is a deep gold and the thin white head laced in thick ring like patterns. The taste buds are assaulted by ultra fresh piney hops that still go down smooth. The beer is just a great experience. I loved it, Ed loves it, my girlfriend loves it. Get it.

Mark, Dec 23, 2011
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Words can't describe what I think of this beer. It is one of the best beers I have ever drunk - period. The hops flavour is amazing with a really floral interesting tint and the way it leaves your pallet clean afterwards is superb. No lingering bitterness. I also find it far lighter than a lot of DIPAs and certainly light for the ABV. Better than any east coast IPA i've tried. I can't stop drinking it. Very very good. I would recommend anyone reading this to go and buy some immediately. The other great thing about it is the price. Cheaper than nearly all the other double IPAs around. Fantastic beer. I think I've said enough!

julianjarvis, Apr 05, 2013
4.78/5  rDev +9.6%

OK, I LOVE this IPA - I am signing on to this site again for the first time in 3 years only to let folks know TO TRY THIS IPA!!

I've tried it both on tap and in the bottle. I actually use a glass (instead straight out of the bottle to capture more aroma)

It bumped out Sweetwater IPA for my first place brew . It is just loaded down with Simcoe hops. The best nose I've ever smelled on an IPA (frankly, it's nearly identical to the IPA I homebrew but with a bright polish.

OK what is so damn good about this IPA?

1)- the nose is fantastic best I've EVER smelled on an IPA
2) the balance - they absolutely nailed the balance of the IBUs to the alcohol sweetness and nailed the combination of hops to the malt (a bit of biscuit malt in there?)

Enough Raving - HEY LAGUNITAS MAKE THIS BEER YEAR AROUND - THANK YOU!!

houstoncarl, Feb 03, 2013
4.78/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a politically correct Lagunitas mason jar/pint glass and the brew is a clear straw color yellow with a nice small bubbled white head with nice winnowy lacing on the glass. Small carb bubbles surface slowly and the aroma is heavy spruce hops with a touch of malts just shining through. Ok, I'm gonna get honest here. Waiting on this puter and internet to load up, I killed this brew before I knew it. Things change on swishing and sucking this on my palate. Very forward on grapefruit/citrus hops, again with the malts playing the cymbals in the background. This is a great FN beer to Me. Since I am fairly new to real beer, I never had the chance to try last year's Brown Sugga, but this is definately a brew that needs to be on the shelf year round. I can find no faults with this one. For me it edges out Bell's 2 Hearted as my favorite in this beer style (of
the 5 American IPA's that I have tryed thus far). singing "Lagunitas Lagunitas I adore you" .... then out of the corner of my eye I see the guys with the backwards fittin white jackets headed my way ...

RedneckBeerz, Nov 23, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As I waited for the Bell's Hopslam to be delivered, I saw an earlier delivery of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Sub Ale) sitting there. I thought, " Well, I'm here for two 6's of Hopslam maybe I'll try this."
Wow! Good find at a good price. The case listed it as limited release. I am sorry I only grabbed one.

The aroma of this beer is luscious grapefruit and pine. Everything I love in hops!
Color was golden with a white head.
Again, the aroma was intoxicating of grapefruit and pine.
The taste was right in line (no surprise, our taste comes mostly from smell) with the aroma. Grapefruit-piney goodness! Dry, yet quenching! Loved this beer!!
Hope to get ahold of some more. I will definately buy at least a six pack if I do. It's that good.

laynethiele, Jan 09, 2013
4.78/5  rDev +9.6%

One of my favorite beers, so probably a biased review. However, should be offset by the fact that it's 4 months old. We'll see.

A - vigorous pour into a pint glass yields a beautiful golden orange, very nice clarity, faint carbonation, and about a pinky's worth of head that settles quickly and is leaves good, but not great, lacing.

S - besides my most favoritest of beers, this is the best smell a beer can have. Smells distinctly of Lagunitas hops - grapefruit, slightly orange, slightly sweet. A little resiny.

T - dear God. How do they make it so, so good? Even after four months, the taste that made me, literally, get back in my car and drive to buy a case worth is still there. Malty sweetness with citrus and piney bitterness chasing. Absolutely amazing.

M - light to medium, nice carbonation. The bitterness lingers but I get almost no alcohol burn. If anything is lacking in this brew, it's the mouth feel, which is still good, just not as spectacular as the other aspects.

O - Holy Lord is it good! This is the beer that made me realize the boys in Petaluma know what the F they're doing. I'd only tried their IPA before buying this, and since have tried everything they put out. Thank you Sucks, for opening my world up to the glory of Lagunitas. I am forever indebted.

hoody711, May 03, 2012
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours clear copper with a three finger, slightly off-white head. Left small amounts of lacing.

S - A huge, and absolutely perfect amount of pine, followed by tangerine and grapefruit.

T - Tangerines and a heavy amount of pine up front, followed by loads and loads, and fucking loads of pine resin. This thing tastes like a This One Goes to Eleven. And it's inbelieveably smooth. The balance is also so beautiful that I might cry.

M - Medium creamy body with light to medium carbonation.

O - This beer is too damn easy for 7.85%. It's delicious in every way, But it is not a Maxiumus.

SometimesIfart, Feb 18, 2013
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle on 1/24/13

A: Beer pours a deep amber with luscious two finger eggshell head.

S: Caramelized malts, Tropical fruits, various citrus fruits, some pine and resin. The aroma is DUMB awesome. A must sniff for serious hopheads

T: A great balance between clean hop bitterness and caramelized malt sweetness. Truly a wonder.

M: Excellent carbonation, contributes to the hop development within this beer.

Overall- I cannot think of another IPA in the 7-8% abv range that is this good. I have been waiting for it to come back out and boy did Lagunitas nail it. Way to go folks.

InlandTaipan, Jan 24, 2013
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a clear classic golden color with a short white head. Not much head formed due to how carefully the beer was poured by the bartender. The bouquet might be the best of any beer I've ever had. Fresh grapefruit right up front with some underlying cannabis. Just a wonderful aroma. Mouthfeel is full, wet, and a bit oily. Carbonation bites just a bit on the finish. The flavor is magnificent. Grapefruit! A lot more pine in the flavor than appeared in the bouquet. Just enough rye in this beer to set all the flavors and aromas off in a more vibrant fashion. A remarkably well-engineered brew.

DocJitsu, Jan 19, 2013
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a IPA glass from Spiegelau.

A- Beautiful golden yellow. Perfect head that holds strong. This is what an IPA should look like.

S- Citrus fruits, pine, hops, hops and more hops!!! One of the best smelling IPA's IMO.

T- Lots of citrus, pine and bitter hop flavor. This is a palate wrecker ( in a good way ). Little bit of sweet alcohol on the end. Hops linger for sometime after each sip.

M- Smooth and crisp. It holds well and has a lighter body. I think for the style this is perfect.

O- One of the best IPA's out. Nothing sucks about this. Get and drink as much as you can!!!

NCalement, Jan 13, 2014