Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Reviews: 1,543 | Ratings: 9,977
4.34/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had on draft at Lagunitas Taproom Chicago in a 16oz pint. This is a beast of a brew and although I would choose Brown Shugga over this Substitute this is still a massive brew. Extreme fruity tones throughout making it hard for me to even distinguish what is what. With lacing left for days, it tastes great and is almost just as fun to drink and put down constantly to see all the rings left on the glass. It's a bitter beer so you have to get used to that, but it's well done.

3.9/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Hazy honey color. The nose is heavy, sugary, and floral. Heavy mouthfeel. Caramel and brown sugar permeate the hops, and it gets sweeter with each sip. This is a good IPA. The sweetness keeps the piney bitterness at bay, but it's still not overwhelmingly sweet.

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pretty great beer and I found it at $5.00 a sixer in Moline, Illinois. Very fruity and easy to drink as are all Lagunitas offerings. Lagunitas has a distinct flavor and this is one of their best!

3.57/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, vibrant light copper in color with abut under a finger of white head, average retention. Aroma is very subdued and lacks the hop presence if expect from a DIPA. It's skewer towards caramelly malt with a touch of citrus. Taste is an improvement with spiny more citrus and some pine but a substantial malty-ish presence. There is a touch of caramel and a light sweetness that segues to a decent bitterness that balances the beer and lingers a bit in the finish. Decent mouthfeel, medium body and medium-low carbonation. Overall a good beer but not one that I expect to seek out again. I'll give this another shot if I find it again given my affinity for Lagunitas, I'm a big fan of pretty much every other beer I've had from them but I'm disappointed.

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

Smell: fragrant, sweet citrus, fruity, pineapple. Taste: sweet malt, grapefruit juice, great mouth feel. Finish: orange rind, pleasant pine bitterness. Very well integrated alcohol - doesn't feel boozy for the high 8%. (bottle code 033 6 2 0932 2012)

4.46/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I pour this from a bottle into a clear teardrop glass. It pours a hazy golden color with a two finger white head. The awesome smell immediately hits your nose. It's very grapefruity, heavy on the hops. What a great beer!

4.49/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

After having back-to-back with FW Double Jack, man this almost comes across as Double Jack Lite (more so than Union Jack).

Finish comes off as a touch more short and watery. But seriously...fresh at $10 a sixer, this is hard to beat!

I love Maximus and Hop Stupid, but I can see the genius here! Glad Petaluma is right up the road!

Grade 93+/94-, A all day!

4.71/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured an aggressive finger of head into pint glass. Dark, almost burnt orange color produced a very citrus, floral aroma. Taste was filled with great citrus flavors such as grapefruit, orange, and even mango. Nice hop presence as well. Lacing proved how dank this beer really is. Beautiful layered lacing all the way down. Fantastic brew. One of my all time favs.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Deep clear yellow with a nice head and beautiful lacing. It is pleasantly fragrant, citrusy and floral. The taste is great! Very citrusy,smooth, slightly sweet. No overwhelming bitterness. One of the most pleasant IPAs I have had!

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I had this poured into a pint glass. The color was a very hazy golden-orange. The flavor and aroma had a very cirusy flavor, good stuff. The mouthfeel was pretty intense...little hard on the carbonation. Overall pretty good.

My goodness this is awesome! A first-timer to Sucks, I am impressed. The lace left behind is almost as beautiful as the beer! This is a full-favored ale that seriously blows away all other ales I have tried!

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On draft in a bar this weekend. Very floral nose, hazy appearance. Taste was very low bitterness, low malt, very fruity. Overall this is fantastic, this is the beginning of the future. Will buy again

3.53/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mostly clear golden/copper in color with a monstrous head. Foamy/creamy with great retention.

Very big malt aroma. I know this isnt brown shuggah, but I am getting brown sugar on the nose. Grains and malt mostly. A bit of alcohol and tobacco as it warms.

Taste: again, very malt forward for an IPA. Almost no bitterness, certainly on the light side. Very odd "IPA" if you ask me.

Im sorry to disagree with the majority on this one, but this is hardly an IPA to me so I have to adjust my rating a bit.

Its not bad, I just wouldnt call this an IPA.

3.82/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell has lots of resin, some pine. Taste is resin, pine, bitter, pineapple, some malts are present. Feels medium/full bodied in the mouth and overall is a high quality beer, but I wasn't blown away by it.

4.29/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Excellent grain quality in this. The flavor and mouth feel are complex with the wheat adding definition and the rye adding spice. I get grapefruit and pineapple with lots of dank resin. The carbonation is low which makes this drink very smooth. Excellent ipa.

4.17/5  rDev -3.5%

From an undated quart bottle. Golden color with a finger of white head. Great smell of piney hops. Smooth feel and big hop flavor. Definitely on the bitter side (IBU of 63, the bottle says). Good example of the style. The only possible downside is that there's nothing unique about this, and I think I'd struggle to tell it apart from other California DIPAs if I did a blind test.

3.29/5  rDev -23.8%

Had this last night and was pretty pumped about it but it turned out to be another disappointment for me from lagunitas. Poured a light golden color with a nice retaining white head. The taste is where I had an issue. Just not much going on for me. At 8% I could taste the booze coming through (surprising for an 8%), I got hardly any of the piny, dank hoppy punch I was expecting. I have seen plenty of good reviews on this beer and I am sure many people like it, maybe I grabbed a bad one?? IDK....

3.69/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Good IPA style brew in a quart bottle (brewed in Chicago?) with a big head when poured. (My avatar WILL be a green quart tavern tall returnable Ballantine ale from the 70s.) The forum worries about container size. I don't mind beer in larger sizes and growlers because I prefer them a little flat.

4.14/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Out of a bottle into my tulip.
A – Slightly hazy, light golden pour with a vivid white head that settles quickly.
S- Hops, piney, floral, light brown sugar
T – Mildly sweet to start with a good bite of piney, resinous flavor. Hoppy bitterness. Tails off with some solid citrus flavors of orange and grapefruit.
M – Medium carbonation. Little slick and smooth.
O – Tasty brew right here. Lot of flavors which are well balanced and play off each other.

4.69/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served in a shaker, it pours a clear golden yellow with a two-finger head, foamy, with good retention and very good lacing.

The bouquet is a fruit cocktail, tropical and dank. Mango, papaya, pineapple, passion fruit… lots of passion fruit. Very assertive.

The fruit cocktail continues in the mouth. Very smooth and light body, with just the necessary carbonation. You can tell it's very bitter, but it balances greatly with the malty sweetness and all the fruits you get; however, the bitterness prevails in its long finish.

Outstanding beer.

3.53/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Hazy gold with covering lace.
Full body, intense flavor, fairly hot and rich mouthfeel, nice carbonation, long palate.
Very bitter but balanced.
Intense hop flavors, resiny, grapefruity.
Satisfying and enjoyable.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, there is no "best by" date that I can find.

APPEARANCE: pours a golden honey color with lots of larger sediments floating about, less than one-finger off-white head that quickly dissipated until a thin, broken layer of small bubbles remained, there is significant lacing on the glass, lightly carbonated.

SMELL: peppery, brown sugar, bread, grapefruit citrus and pine resin, I can also smell some booze.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose precisely, peppery then sweet brown sugar, some grapefruit citrus and pine resin, the 8% ABV is perceptible.

PALATE: medium body and lightly carbonated.

OVERALL: this is a solid traditional DIPA, I would buy this again and would recommend to anyone who enjoys the style.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- golden and slightly hazy. Nice white head that sticks to the glass leaving layers of white rings.
S- hoppy with pineapple and citrus and a familiar scent that comes with a lagunitas brew
T- papaya, and pineapple, alittle pineyness and somewhat bitter
F-medium feel with a slight prickle of carbonation
O- got this one on draft at the local taco mac. Enjoyed it in the past and tonight was no different.

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

12 oz bottle, unclear date code

Clear golden color, good head and lacing. Nice strong pine and citrus hop aroma. Taste is very hop dominated, and somewhat bitter. Sticky mouthfeel

4.36/5  rDev +0.9%

Fun. Fun. Fun. Complex, citrus, pine, hops, and a little touch of malt. Long, tangy after taste. The citrus and pine overload is the opposite of boring.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company