2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,284 | Reviews: 1,231 | Show All Ratings:
archyquaffer

Montana

3.9/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a quart bottle into a sampler. A moderate pour produces about 3/4 inch of white, frothy head which dissipates to lace in about 5 minutes. The good thing about pouring a quart bottle into a sampler though, is you get to pour alot. The beer is a pale golden with moderate to high carbonation.

It has a certain hop profile that I associate with this brewery- it's unique and hard to put your finger one- complex yet curiously balanced with a certain subtlety. I looked up a clone recipe for this beer, and it calls for five different hop varieties. No brown sugar, which strikes me as a bit weird- isn't this supposedly a substitute for a brown sugar ale? Nothing about brown sugar on their website (or this one). Did they run out of brown sugar? Confusing.... Pretty meaty malt bill, with wheat and oats, but no rye (in the clone recipe, that is).

Lots of floral and citrus aroma-flavors, with alcohol undertones, as you might expect- but the latter are quite slight. Some rye spiciness if evident. Backing it all is a pretty light bodied pale malt profile, perhaps lightened somewhat in mouthfeel and perceived body by the wheat and especially the rye (is there brown sugar in this?- inquiring minds want to know, or is this like a Coen brothers film). Anyway, it's definitely well-balanced, and the somewhat light body makes this rather unique to me, and perhaps dangerous. It may be a little oily on the tongue, with lingering but rather mild hop bitterness.

I love the quart bottles- one reason why I bought this beer- to bottle my homebrew. I had fond memories of brown sugga ale, which I haven't reviewed here, because evidently they %O$#@) up royally and stopped making it, or some ridiculous thing. Anyway, this is an intriguing beer, with the hops lingering precariously on the edge of balance with a curiously low bodied beer with a pretty high alcohol content.

04-20-2014 02:53:28 | More by archyquaffer
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

4.48/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

With a solid pour I get about an inch and a half of tan colored head. Body is a golden honey toned hue that is a bit lighter then I would have expected with all the grains in this brew. Head fades slowly and leaves a consistent spotty curtain of lace.

Nose is vibrant with grainy hops that are both floral and resinous. Hops are almost like a mix of marmalade and candied fruit on the snouser.

From the moment I first tried this beer I really fell in love with how well the grain bill works to carry and balance the hops. This beer has real legs on the palate as the flavors are carried wonderfully across the tongue. The hops are prickly and spicy with tones of pine, arugula, and rye. There is definitely a distinct malt balance here.

Mouthfeel is very pleasant and bready with a bit of spice feel. The rye stands out considerably on the back of the tongue as well, long after the sip. This is a wonderful beer. Please don't stop making it.

04-20-2014 00:58:50 | More by SPLITGRIN
Realbeer1542

4.5/5  rDev +3%

32 oz bottle - poured into a porter goblet.

A - Golden. White head on the pour. Mellows into a thin consistent lace. light haze and clean.

S - Grapefruit, hops, faint bread.

T - Follows the smell. Grapefruit up front. Well balanced with yeast and a mild bready maltiness. Finish is crisp and semi bitter and refreshing. Cannot detect the alcohol.

M - Medium body. very nice on the palate.

O - I don't normally seek out hoppy beer. Picked this one up on a world beer tour challenge and glad I did. Really nice and enjoyable especially based on the fact that its a complete opposite of my favor of porters and stouts. Would definitely recommend and will buy again. Looking forward to an easy finish of the 32 oz bottle.

04-16-2014 23:55:07 | More by Realbeer1542
MIchelle

4.08/5  rDev -6.6%

This is a very good brew. I'll admit I didn't read the label all the way since I just am a fan of the brewery when I grabbed this one. It's a tad to dry and hoppy for my taste. Beautiful citrus ale color, lots of bubbles, a nice thin typical ale head. Very refreshing taste and smell. The smell really previews the hop taste that is to come. Taste is very dry and hop flavored. Lightly sweet and citrusy though. Pretty easy drinking, if you enjoy a dry hoppy brew this is probably going to be up your alley. It's a little to hop for my likings. Very high abv, so considering that it's very drinkable. Very refreshing, would highly recommend this.

04-15-2014 21:20:08 | More by MIchelle
MV_CHI-NS

Appearance: An interesting deep amber/citrine body with an ivory/magnolia head.

Aroma: Beautiful floral and citrus notes, carried-through by a light, yet quite profound, hop nose.

Taste: Much like the aroma; a tidal wave of wild flowers/crisp citrus under a bed of hops. Trust me when I say that your first thought when drinking this will be, "that is how an IPA should taste."

Mouthfeel: While many IPAs have the propensity to leave your palate a bit dry, this one is 'wet' and therefore crisp, refreshing, and leaves you wanting more.

Overall: Hands-down, one of the best IPAs I have had in a while (a position which has, until this point, been held by Three Floyds' 'Space Station: Middle Finger' - which I know is an APA, but it is close enough to an IPA as it can get). Get it. Drink it. Enjoy.

04-13-2014 06:03:07 | More by MV_CHI-NS
andrewjraab

4.4/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a deep copper orange with a huge stack of foamy, bubbly, pancake batter, spots of lace surround the snifter.

S - HUGE bouquet of flowers, citrus zest, grapefruit, orange rind, resinous, fruity, hop oils. Fresh smell.
T Citrus hop bomb, grapefruit, citrus zest, nicely balanced with sweet malts. Moutfeel tingles tingles and numbs the palate.

O - This is one of the best beers I've had and it has it all for what you want and expect in a DIPA.

04-12-2014 19:47:35 | More by andrewjraab
ExtraStout

3.93/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appears a light light peachy apricot with a hint of ruby to it. It almost looks like an apricot sucking candy. There's a very fluffy head, about half an inch, that is covering it entirely. I'm a bit surprised that a double IPA is coming in this light in color.

Smells Wonderful. Crazy tropical fruits here: pineapple, mango, and a little tangerine. Really nice and not too overpowering.

Taste is much more subtle than its nose. Extremely clean - maybe too much? I wish that its flavors were stronger.

Its mouthfeel is very crisp and short-lived. Here and gone in a second.

A good beer but definitely not what everyone is making it out to be. This is far from a Pliny and no where near a Heady Topper in my opinion. At the same time, I'd also rather have a Brown Sugga.

04-12-2014 13:50:07 | More by ExtraStout
Lothore

4.11/5  rDev -5.9%

A- pours a golden orange hue with a thick, creamy, 2 finger head.

s- smell is heavenly. Pine, sweet, malty, fruity goodness

t - pine up front followed by tangerine, orange and citrus which follows I n to a lingering bitterness.

m - thick with ample carbonation.

d - great beer. Excellent to sip on.

04-12-2014 04:44:41 | More by Lothore
beergoot

Colorado

4.66/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Bright gold color with excellent, steadily rising carbonation bubbles, and a lasting, thick, sticky, white head. Powerful explosion of fruit and berry aromas; strawberry, banana, lemon, pine. Incredibly smooth and warm grain flavor; lightly toasted bread; faint powdered sugar sweetness; nice, puckering hop bitterness to balance things out. Medium body; crisp, clean, dry finish.

A finely made ale with a very pleasing sensory depth and complexity. It looks great, smells wonderful, and tastes incredibly fine. There's a gentle smoothness to the feel with an off-setting hop bite while the grain and hop flavors tango passionately around your palate. This would be a great beer to have available year-round.

04-10-2014 01:10:57 | More by beergoot
HookerBrews

4.63/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: This brew pours a wonderful golden amber color. It has nice clarity with a slight amount of haziness. The head is a sand colored with decent, but not crazy, retention with some nice lacing that sticks to the glass. It's a great looking beer.

Smell: I really can't say enough about how good Sucks smells. It's probably one of the best smelling beers I have come across and I will happily sit there and sniff for a while in between sips. This brew is what I would call a fruit bomb. Powerful aromas of pear, strawberry, mango, and other tropical fruits hit your nose from a mile away and mix pleasantly with the sweet, astringent smell of hops. It's rare that you find a beer that has this strong of a smell and in no way is that a bad thing.

Taste: The flavors of this beer definitely follow the aromas. I can best describe the hops that hit you on the initial sip as succulent. Like the smell, the taste is very fruity, but not at all in a sugary sweet way. I taste a mix of honeydew melon, apple, slight strawberry, and a little bit of mango. Again, sucks is an absolute fruit bomb. On the finish the brew has a very slight alcohol kick with a nice bite of lemon, bitter hops, and a bit of a malty backbone that reminds me of pie crust.

Mouthfeel: This beer is medium bodied with a nice bit of chewiness for a double IPA. The mouthfeel is very satisfying without feeling too huge to sip down pretty quickly.

Overall: I'm still pretty new to craft beer, so I jump around a lot in terms of what I drink. Sucks, however, is one that I have been coming back to again and again. It's definitely my favorite from Lagunitas and really got me into the West coast style IPAs. Sucks is an excellent beer with an original flavor profile that entices me every time I crack one open.

04-10-2014 00:13:19 | More by HookerBrews
Bedrocker

Washington

4.49/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 32 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Clear orange body with a small head that sticks around. Medium carbonation.

S: Smells of hops, citrus, and caramel. The citrus comes through the most, with notes of passionfruit, pineapple, and grapefruit. Very sweet smelling beer.

T: Excellent. Almost perfect balance of hop bitterness, citrus, and sweet caramel malt. Finish is somewhat bitter but also bready. Leaves you wanting more. There's a little bit of pine on the back end as well.

M: Somewhat dry, but very smooth with a medium body. No alcohol detected, which is nice for a beer with a high ABV like this one.

O: Probably my favorite offering from Lagunitas. Very drinkable and has a memorable taste. Not over-the-top like some DIPAs, and incredibly balanced. I recommend this beer to any IPA/DIPA fan.

04-08-2014 04:02:52 | More by Bedrocker
JordonHoltzman

3.96/5  rDev -9.4%

Jotted quick review in cellphone. Then did just a rating, but then decided to put down my subpar review anyway.

Golden body with a thick, white head, and very nice lacing.
Smells of pine and citrus. Well balanced. The taste matches but is predominately grapefruit. Mouthfeel is good, well carbonated.
Overall, a very enjoyable beer. Not quite as sessionable as I hoped, but I guess since it's up there in alcohol level, it's right where it should be in drinkability.
I haven't had the brown shugga that it's replacing, but I hope to.

04-07-2014 03:35:26 | More by JordonHoltzman
Redneckwine

Washington

4.48/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

cold 12oz bottle into pint glass

Appearance - pale yellow/orange color, head retention is awesome, sticky lacing all over the place!

Smell - My first time having this and I just said "Wow" out loud to myself, extremely unique and complex: pungent scent of fresh tropical fruits, kind of a lemony fuel funk (like pot), peppery and spicy, sweet and bready.

Taste/Mouthfeel - The taste follows the nose almost exactly, but with some drying pine/citrus and hoppy oil on the backside, and a slight bitterness smoothed out by semi-sweet malt goodness. Mouthfeel is super smooth and creamy - soft/tingly carbonation and full body. No alcohol to be found anywhere else but a slight hint on the very end...

Overall - One of the most uniquely flavored brews I've had: a magnificent hop bill for sure. The only drawback for me regarding this brew is palate fatigue after a couple: it's a big, potent, flavor bomb that pulls no punches.

04-06-2014 22:42:50 | More by Redneckwine
upton7418

4.28/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into a Sam Adams Glass.

A: very clear with a nice 1.5 finger head that dissipates to a 1/2 finger that last with a very nice lacing

S: very sweet smell that provides a resiny hop smell that I've experienced in so many other IPA's. Very nice smell with a light hop aroma just not as hoppy as i expected.

T: taste is very similar to the smell BUT instead of being sweet its dry

M: smooth and clean. no lingering taste like which is nice but unexpected for this type of beer.

O: very nice beer that surprised me for a "oh what the" beer pick up. would definitely buy this one again. it's very smooth and tasty that takes the name and say i regret putting sucks in the name

04-06-2014 22:26:22 | More by upton7418
RDBJ

4.33/5  rDev -0.9%

This is a superb beer, easily my favorite Lagunitas offering. Pours a lovely golden color. Very aggressive piney hop smell. Very gentle smooth flavor, excellent hop/malt balance. Great supportive aftertaste. This is a top tier offering. I can't get Pliny or Heady Topper, so frame of reference is limited, but I love this stuff.

04-06-2014 21:32:46 | More by RDBJ
Boozermurfin

4.51/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

1st time drinking this and wow. Awesome.

A - looks like beer

S - pineapple, sweet mango, flowery goodness.

T - somehow manages to taste how it smells. Perfect balance of sweet and bitter. Bitterness is nice and totally manageable.

O - excellent. Had no idea what to expect. Immediately catapults two hearted and right there with Enjoy By.

04-04-2014 23:07:43 | More by Boozermurfin
LuvLagunitas

4.45/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This has always been one of my favorite beers. It's definitely my go-to during the winter when I can get my hands on it.

A: When poured into a glass, it has a glowing orange to yellow color with medium carbonation. Small yet substantial head. Fine lacing on the sides of the glass as the head begins to dissipate and as I drink.

S: The smell is slightly sweet with malts. Very pleasing. Not overbearing in the least. Touch of hops in the end adding a little bitterness, but very nice. Doesn't smell like a DIPA at all. More like a pale ale.

T: A bit of hops up front, but like the smell it is not overwhelming. Still reminds me of a pale ale. The hops subside and move to the mellow malts then comes the citrus accompanied by a slight piney taste on the back end. Maybe some tropical citrus notes? No boozy-ness at all, especially for nearly 8% ABV. Very smooth.

M: Very smooth. Medium-full bodied. Leaves a slickness to the mouth, but not for long. Very small amount of carbonation. Enjoyable.

O: I love this beer for many reasons. Personally, I like IPA's and DIPA's by they can get old and overbearing, often being a little heavy. But Lagunitas Sucks is the quite the opposite. It drinks like a pale ale, making it nice and session-able. The flavor is smooth and enjoyable with the hints of citrus, leading me to think that it may have be hopped/dry-hopped with citra hops. Definitely recommend getting it if you have the chance!

04-02-2014 20:37:05 | More by LuvLagunitas
itsscience

4.54/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pale orange in color with a finger of white head that retains well. A big fresh peach smell is the first thing I get, with an awesome blend of orange, grapefruit, floral hops, pine needle, and sweet bread malts. Really a great smelling beer. In the mouth, it starts out like a classic IPA with grapefruit and lemon zest flavors, then it really becomes a beast of its own with sweeter fruit flavors like pineapple and peach. Toward the end I pick up a lot of mouth-coating hop oil and pine needle. It's not as bitter as it sounds though. The bitterness is muted by a strong, sweet bread malt presence from the beginning of the tongue until the end. Medium body with good carbonation. A beer everyone can, and should, enjoy.

04-02-2014 04:01:48 | More by itsscience
CalgaryFMC

Alberta (Canada)

4.53/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Welcome back to Alberta, Sucks. Here's hoping you stick around more consistently. One of the more acclaimed and storied DIPAs on this website and more generally, this is the sort of thing a guy like me will go ballistic over, buying a case or two to share and overindulge in during a shitty work week. Quite a light color truth be told, a golden sunset orange with a reasonably prominent beige head. Who cares what it looks like, really. Smells like a tangerine dream, massive dank grapefruit, mandarin and lime on the nose along with tropical starfruit or perhaps guava, melon, and a grainy spice note that I attribute to the hybrid grain bill. A taste reveals a brew positively bursting at the seams with citrus juices and aromatic oils, goes from lime to navel orange to grapefruit to sweet pine needles in a rapid assault and then stabilizes somewhat into a heady mixture of sugery nutty malts, papaya spears, pineapple, muskmelon, orange Creamsickle, blackberry, and faint garlic. Amazingly smooth and drinkable despite the assertive fresh flavors, not a palate wrecker and lacking obnoxious protruding off-flavors like really strong pine resin (sometimes I crave such flavors but here they would wreck the mood). It does make the mouth tingle, almost like Sichaun pepper. I do get a little floral flavor but by and large this is a fruit bowl. Moderately thick body and finishes wet, with the citrus and tropical fruit flavors staying until the woody bitter end. Notably though, the bitterness is not coarse and I could (and have!) consume this in quantity because of the dangerously smooth mouthfeel. You can taste alcohol but not to the brew's detriment. Carbonation manages to stay out of the way. Wow. Believe the hype. A cornucopia of hop flavors and perhaps edges out Green Flash as my current favorite IPA ... I'd have to check the ratings. Right now its all about the moment.

04-01-2014 20:22:29 | More by CalgaryFMC
martyl1000

Wisconsin

4.34/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A bright yellow pour into a tulip glass, with a tall bright white head, good retention, and clingy lacing.

Fruity! The aroma brings lemon juice and orange zest, plus a bit of pineapple. Seriously juicy. But also a fair amount of bread and grain struggle to make themselves known.

In the mouth the aroma gets translated with perfect pitch, remarkably matching the flavors on the palette. Navel orange, lemon, and grapefruit. The hops are all juicy citrus. Some bread and biscuit push back a little on the bitter citrus, though the fruity sweetness doesn't require that much balancing. Can't really separate flavors on the front end from those on the back end. Seems the same throughout.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with smooth carbonation. The finish is dry, white grapefruit bitterness.

04-01-2014 01:21:57 | More by martyl1000
gonzo000

4.3/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

a. Color was yellow orange and beer was clear. One finger head.

s. Bitter hoppy smell. Grapefruit.

t. Grapefruit - hoppy start sliding into a sweeter finish, but still hoppy. It is not SWEET, just gradually moves toward sweeter.

m. Very carbonated, possibly too much so. Beer lingers in the back of the throat due to the carbonation.

03-29-2014 00:18:58 | More by gonzo000
Ohiolager

3.5/5  rDev -19.9%

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) 6pk bottles $9.99(OH)

12 oz brown bottle poured into a stemless white wine glass. bottle code is on neck in black, hard to see. 004 4. means it was bottled the fourth day of 2014.

pours a dark golden color and a bit cloudy too. about two fingers of peach white thin head, that don't stay around long giving way to minimal lacing.

it smells like an IPA should, citrus, grapefruit, and a hoppy pine to it.

the taste mirrors the smell. starts out with some citrus, grapefruits, and follows up piney and bitter.

mouth feel is light to medium.

overall i don't understand the big hype behind this brew at all. I don't consider this a double or imperial IPA, over 9% ABV would be a double or imperial. The label is deceiving, if you have never had The old brown shugga then you have no idea this is an IPA. the label just says ALE and looks very cheaply designed and made. A craft beer without a freshness date? i have to decode your hard to read black codes in the store? For 10 bucks a six pack I was very disappointed. label says limited release, yet it is available year around. anyway a decent IPA NOT a double or imperial IPA at all. I will NOT be buying this again.

03-28-2014 03:08:56 | More by Ohiolager
stewart124

4.53/5  rDev +3.7%

Golden orange in color with just a centimeter of white head.

Nose has plenty of citrus, pineapple and pine.

The first sip packs a punch. Tons of hops coupled with a tight malt bill. From the description I wasn't expecting these four cereal grains. That explains some of the Silkiness but at the same time this dries out. It really is a fantastic double IPA. The malt bill really showcases the hops. So easy to drink. Lingering pine bitterness

Plenty of carbonation helps the hops standout.

Just a nice solid DIPA. Great value from a great brewery.

03-26-2014 00:35:37 | More by stewart124
DoubleJ

4.4/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

In a crowded IPA market, you must find a way to peak your head over the pack. Lagunitas seemed to have found a way by accidentally screwing up their brew schedule and forcing themselves to find an alternative to Brown Shugga. It took me some time, but I put my faith in the community and picked up a six-pack. On to the beer:

Color looks like a light toasted orange, met with a solid job of head retention, and a number of thin rings of lace which wrap around. When I smelled it, I felt that my faith was rewarded. It's tough to deny an aroma that succulent, with pleasurable amounts of tropical fruits, pineapple, melon rind, and passionfruit. Fruit alors!

Similar to the aroma, the taste caps any lingering skepticism that I head towards the beer. It's an attack of the two P's, being passionfruit and pineapple. Not far behind is tangerine in this explosion of hops. There's a milder sweet cantaloupe note too. Although hoppy, it didn't get into any bitterness. This is carried with a medium/full body with the alcohol hidden.

If you have an addiction of hops, then you are probably shouting that Lagunitas sucks with this creation. If you love hops, then you need to find yourself a glass of Lagunitas Sucks!

03-25-2014 00:17:18 | More by DoubleJ
xabyss

3.79/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Gotta say, I don't really get the hype for this one; to me, it's an above average IPA but nothing spectacular. Pours a transparent pale copper with moderate white fluffiness. Citrus and hops in the nose. Smooth hops; not too intense. Pleasant bready malts balance the hops nicely. Lots of fruits on the palate - orange, grapefruit, tangerine. Not too hoppy. Well balanced. Fairly dry without much of a finish. Light bodied; right for the style but nothing special. It's good, don't get me wrong, but there are much better DIPAs out there.

03-24-2014 02:01:37 | More by xabyss