Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,196 | Reviews: 1,511

This is quite possibly the worst beer I've ever consumed!

2.38/5  rDev -45.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I never had Lagunitas Brown Shugga, but Lagunitas Sucks - their substitute offering since that beer apparently takes too many resources and is on an indefinite hiatus - tastes like a clone of Hop Stoopid, the first and only offering from the brewery I had and was underwhelmed with. Lagunitas Sucks has the same floral and aromatic hops smell and taste as Hop Stoopid and bears the same kind of fruity, bitter body as that beer did too, almost as if Sucks is an IPA with more fruitier flavors. The anomaly is the fruitiness (which is predominately grapefruit, if anything) is bitter and harsher than one would initially expect.

Appearance - Promising enough in its golden color. Forms a nice head and is a winner in the looker department.

Smell - Immediately raises my senses since it smells mostly of fruit and sour grapefruit, being that the last beers I've had with the same aroma - Abita Grapefruit, Blue Moon, and Lagunitas Hop Stoopid - proved to be disappointing and underwhelming overall.

Taste - Sour, overly-reliant on grapefruit, and extremely unpleasant. I can admire the complexity but I can't appreciate the product. This is going to be a difficult thirty-two ounces to down.

Mouthfeel - Makes it sourness known from the start and compliments the unpleasant effects of its taste.

I can't make a comparison as to how well Sucks holds up to Brown Shugga, but if it's any indication, it means that particular beer is just as mediocre. Disappointed because the first two Lagunitas I've had have done nothing but underwhelm me. Hoping the next couple offerings I'll try before the end of the summer show different results.

2.38/5  rDev -45.2%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a chilled Odell's IPA pint glass

A: Pours a golden amber hue with a finger white foam head. Very little lacing.

S: Very hoppy aroma and some tropical notes, especially grapefruit. Small scents of sweetness.

T: Not very balanced as the hops are prevalent but it lacks that sweet malt backbone which makes the DIPA.

M: Light to medium carbonation.

O: I don't understand the hype with this beer. It's not something I would seek out and I love IPAs/DIPAs.

2.42/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am a stout guy, so maybe I am jaded, but I didn't like it at all. Has an IPA taste, but didn't like the flavor. I expected more from this beer. It was a good balance of Flavors but something was missing and fell flat.

I'll have to try another and see.

2.5/5  rDev -42.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Only beer I've dumped in awhile. Just can't enjoy anything by Lagunitas.

2.62/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Maybe old bottle? Not impressed. Poured half of it out. Yucky.

2.62/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured this aptly named beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The first thing of course I noticed was there was no head at all after a few minutes. The beer was a nice golden color and smelled hoppy. But the taste was just over the top hoppy. Like sticking a Christmas tree in your mouth. Turpentine after notes. It really did LIVE UP TO ITS name.

2.74/5  rDev -36.9%

I expected better - C:

A. Surprisingly tepid for a strong ale but a decent copper color. Good lacing. Great label.

S. The hop aroma was robust in both bottle and glass, clean piney notes popped.

T. Mild? Too smooth? Weak? Unbalanced bitterness. Average for sure.

B. Ineffectual, lacked the tongue caressing fullness of strong but not quite barley-wine beers.

Maybe a decent release in another season, as a Holiday Ale, not a winner for me.

2.78/5  rDev -35.9%

Too bitter and acrid a taste for me. Another reviewer mentioned garlic and onions, and I think that's about right. Not exactly the same taste, but a similar harshness. I don't understand the appeal. It reminds of biting into a lemon seed, not something I like at all.

2.8/5  rDev -35.5%

Passed this one over a number of times, but after seeing all the reviews, I made sure to grab a pack before it disappeared.

Ay yi yi. The hell. I haven't gone and checked, but this thing has got to have Summit in it. Brutal taste of garlic/onion. Perhaps some grapefruit behind it, but I can't get past this garlic/onion taste. I must be uniquely sensitive to it, because if everyone was tasting what I'm tasting, there's no way this thing would be anywhere near an A rating.

Mouthfeel is fine. But that onion/garlic is a deal breaker. Reminds me of Abrasive. Another extremely highly rated beer that was just a pure garlic/onion bomb. Really not enjoying this quirk in my palate that makes those Summit flavors show up so strongly.

2.94/5  rDev -32.3%

First had: on tap at Pinocchio's, Media, PA

Poured a clear golden color with a few stray bubbles wandering on top. Sticky hop aroma, citrus, pine, some oily funk. More of the same in the taste, with a combination of hops being the dominant factor, and a bready, caramel malt base in the background, and the lingering bland cardboard flavor that seems to be present in every Lagunitas beer. A citrus twinge lingers on the palate, and gives way to a sweeter taste of melon and mango, making you almost forget about the unctuous funk quality. Light-medium in the mouthfeel department, and fairly drinkable, but not something I'd revisit. Typical Lagunitas: okay, but nothing special, and always that stale and seemingly inescapable house flavor that continues to make me wonder why people like their beers, and why there's a hype over this one in particular.

12 oz bottle. Pours a clear white amber with a small white head that has alright retention and leaves a small amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is some pine hops, some light grapefruit, and a bit of caramel. The taste is some sweet pine and citrus, and then some light caramel. The finish has a light bitterness. Light bodied. Medium carbonation. Overall, I found this beer to be a bit boring.

Mmmm, good beer

Just not that impressive for the category

3.04/5  rDev -30%

Imbibed on 4/24/2012. I mention this because it is a double IPA that could have been fresher, though I don't think it would have changed my review much.

Poured a clear orange color with a light, airy head. Lacing is noticeable. Malt is very prevalent. Cereal, orange blossom sweetness. The hops are subdued for a Lagunitas brew. They're there but it's not a wallop like it could have been. Good malt backbone comes through in the taste. Orange prevalent again, a good amount of citrus with a bit of zest. Little hop flavor, somewhat grassy. Not too bitter for the IBUs. Subtle. I just called a Lagunitas beer subtle. Wow.

This reminded me of Two Hearted a lot. The malt is similar to TH, but it has more meat on its bones. I was expecting the hops to play a bigger role and I feel that the malt was a bit too thick and overpowering for my taste. Good, but I didn't go bananas over it. Also, it doesn't really profile as a DIPA.

3.08/5  rDev -29%

Not hoppy enough for my taste.

3.17/5  rDev -27%

To start, I have not tried Lagunitas' Brown Sugar yet. I picked this up after reading a lot of hype about it. It is definitely an interesting beer; if someone told me it was a grapefruit lambic, I'd have believed it. I can't say it's a bad beer, the carbonation is good as is the color (nice golden yellow). If you haven't tried this yet, be prepared for a citrusy, hoppy, grapefruit flavor. I cannot say that I would try it again, but as it is the only year they will make it (supposedly), it was worth it.

3.18/5  rDev -26.7%

On tap at Liberty Station in Houston, TX

A: Pours a crystal clear orange/yellow color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Lots of sticky lace is left behind.
S: Pine resin, almost tree sap like, up front and center. Slick and soapy hops with some light tropical fruits.
T: Soapy, oily, and resinous hops. Piny resiny hops dominate. A lingering bitterness lasts forever. No resemblance of balance at all. Plenty of alcohol is noticeable.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. An overly slick, oily, and soapy feel that I am not a fan of. Lots of alcohol noticeable, along with bitter, resiny, and soapy hops makes this a bit harsh for me to drink.

This is just to much. Though not surprising from this brewery. Is it impossible to make an IPA without the late addition bittering hops? No balance, and nothing I would recommend.

3.18/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Just not my cup of tea. Sweet, malty mess.

3.21/5  rDev -26%

A 12 ounce bottle poured into a DFH Signature Glass.

A: Lighter golden brown, with a thin, fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Significant amount of lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Juicy, tropical fruits. I'm getting all sorts here: pinnapple, mango, guava, and passion fruits. It's really intense. Some hops noticable too, but the sweet fruit scent dominates. It's nice, but I'd like a bit more hoppiness.

T: Interesting. This beer is definitely driven by the passion fruit sweetness, rather than the hops. It's fine, but definitely not what one would expect from a DIPA. I'm getting the passion fruit and guava most clearly here, with some bitterness in the finish from the hops. The malt is there just enough to remind you that this isn't a bitter fruit juice. Overall, I enjoy the taste, but despite the bitter finish, it's unlike most IPAs I've tried.

M: Nice, crisp, fairly light, well-carbonated. Well done here.

O: I enjoyed it and will buy it again if it is released in the future, but I'd prefer a SN Celebration.

3.21/5  rDev -26%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into straight pint glass. Poured a semi-hazy light gold color with over 1-1/2 inch of off white head that had good retention and light lacing.

The aroma was nice, lots of floral and pine hops, and an almost unnoticeable amount of malt. The flavor was the same, pine hops over most of the tongue, some floral in the middle, just a hint of citrus in the finish, and a very low malt presence.

The body was very much on the thin side of average, if it were any thinner, I would knocked some more points off. Drinkability was OK, fairly typical for style, although at below 8%abv, is this really an Imperial IPA? The low alcohol made drinking easier, but hurt the beers chances of of matching expectations. Overall, a nice enough little beer, one worth trying, but not one that matches the hype that has been thrust upon it.

3.23/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle poured into a Lagunitas mason jar.

A: Pours a clear golden with a fluffy white head that thins rapidly. Pretty lacing.

S: Aroma is more malty than hoppy. A little sweet smelling.

T: Smooth entry, then a big dose of Belgian yeast. Hops finally appear at the finish, then seem to leave, then resurface in a pleasant, slightly bitter aftertaste.

M: Light and clean, carbonated just right.

O: Very easy to drink. The 7.85 ABV is hard to believe, it's so smooth. The 63 IBU, however, seems accurate. Almost no bitterness until very late; mostly yeast and a malty sweetness. Doesn't taste like an IPA, much less a DIPA. Reminiscent of Little Sumpin Wild with its Belgian yeast flavor. Not bad, but I much prefer Hop Stoopid.

3.24/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

For shelf turd isnot bad

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

not that great but not bad by any means

3.27/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Beautiful golden color with nice white head. Smell was big on grapefruit and dank hops. The problem was a noticeable aroma of cat urine. Not a good aroma and I couldn't escape it. Flavor of the beer was nice and very dry and hop forward but the ammonia was overwhelming. I'm not surprised to see this beer rated so highly by the general public (lagunitas has a great following and generally makes top notch brews) but the alstrom bros have a score that is much more accurate.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company