Microbrew Invitational

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Reviews: 1,547 | Ratings: 10,007

Poured into tulip

Appearance-Pours your standard IPA yellow-amber into the glass, small head rises, good ring of lacing. Nice looking.

Aroma-Very tropical hoppiness, I get a lot of mango and pineapple in the nose. Some slight undercurrent of pale sugarcookie-lke crystal malt but this is predominantly a hop show; as it should be.

Taste-Follows the aroma with the same tropical-fruity hoppiness, juicy and lip-smackingly bitter but not without balance; very crisp. As I sip more hop notes come out ranging from pine to citric peel; real west-coast hop showcase here.

Mouthfeel-Slick and resiny, almost syrupy but without being too thick; great feel.

Overall/Drinkability-Screw Brown Shugga, make this the winter seasonal! Goes down smooth and easy and keeps me wanting more; a class IPA.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wow. I've had this beer in my fridge for a few weeks now and just wasn't excited about it. Well today I opened it up, and was very surprised. Very nice blend of hops, oats, barley and rye. I'm guessing it's the citra hop, but I'm no pro, so probably wrong. Great beer that deserves the rating it's given. Hopefully the quality won't go away with the Heineken ownership now.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into a 10 oz. snifter at 8th Street Grille in Holland.

A: light amber copper that has a beautiful and slight orange tint to it. Bartender poured it to the brim, letting the head run off, but with a swirl later on, and the initial pour, I'd say it's a light and very temporary head with little retention. Tiny bubbles like you often see in hop-heavy stuff.

S: Intense citrus and flowers. Daisies. Exciting!

T&M: First I've had in awhile that I'd dub a true hop-trip, one that develops and rolls out slow enough with such pleasing and colorful flavors that it's downright psychedelic.
The mouthfeel is perfect for the flavor: it rolls it down the tongue and up through the mouth, with resiny honey on the tongue throughout. It's the type of honey I remember in 2010 Hopslam. The malts compliment and create the comfiness of this hoppy, comfy IPA. The complexity and richness is surprising for a 7.85% ABV, but I don't care; The light-to-little booze presence is appropriate. The flavors are all there.

Sidenote: my friend had a Avery Maharaja while I was drinking this. Alternating sips of the beers (right in a row, that is) created one of the most sublime beer experiences I can remember, a hop VOYAGE. Very oddly specific, but if you ever have these two beers or see them both on tap somewhere, do it. You will thank me.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wow I really Like the flavor & nose on this "substitute" from Lagunitas.
tried the Quart bottle & fell in love. like a previous poster, I decided to pick up the 6 pack I saw recently, not much different. which is awesome cause I really liked my first impression.
pine resin, fresh grains, citrus, awesome. not much else to say other than it has a clean aftertaste for the bitterness level, so very drinkable. Toast! to what may be my go-to "lighter" "Crisper" spring/summer brew. nice.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- golden and slightly hazy. Nice white head that sticks to the glass leaving layers of white rings.
S- hoppy with pineapple and citrus and a familiar scent that comes with a lagunitas brew
T- papaya, and pineapple, alittle pineyness and somewhat bitter
F-medium feel with a slight prickle of carbonation
O- got this one on draft at the local taco mac. Enjoyed it in the past and tonight was no different.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a dark golden to copper with lively bubbles of carbonation beneath the pillowy white head.

Generous, resin hop aromas float from the glass including citrus and pine with a malt sweetness that holds its own right next to the hops.

Flavors of sweet citrus and pungent piney hops coat the palate along with sweet malts. As it warms it becomes even more woody and piney with pineapple and orange grapefruit and malt sweetness mid-palate to balance everything out returning to the grapefruit in the finish.

Features a medium body with generous carbonation and a sticky, puckering finish.

This is an excellent DIPA and unexpected as a winter seasonal. This can hold its own with just about any of its limited release brethren.

4.36/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a pale, golden straw color with a very nice amount of clarity - only a very, very subtle amount of haze in the middle of the beer, but you can definitely see right through this one. Volatile on the pour, producing a gigantic, fluffy white head that lasts seemingly for days and leaves behind some fat lacing.

The aroma is fantastic, a convolution of wonderful hop aromas; light pine, heavy citrus, pineapple, pears, orange zest, and various other tropical fruits. Very juicy and fruity on the nose, broken up only by the slight pine, resin, and leafy notes that play just a bit-part here.

The taste is jam packed with many different things, even some things that weren't so detectable on the nose. Pine and resin are the first thing to hit your palate, but the profile quickly transforms; citrus, pineapple, pears, toast and crackers, buttery bread, slight onion, a touch of herbal tea and a faint hint of alcohol near the finish.

Bitterness is high, but tamed, expected, and welcomed. The malt flavors combine well with the hop profile and turn this beer into a very drinkable IPA. Slightly sweet finish, a bit dry and finishing with a faint bitterness over the fading malt construction. Medium bodied with a heavy dose of carbonation that really snaps the tongue at times.

Delicious beer, right here. Lagunitas knows their way around an IPA (see: Hop Stoopid) and this beer is no exception. A wonderfully fruity nose and a well-balanced body, complete with heavy hop bitterness and dry, bready malt, this IPA is sure to please any hop head. Wish it were more readily available.

12oz bottle.

A- Pours a very light golden color with a thin white foam head that leaves a few rings of lace.

S- Great floral and tropical smells in the nose.

T- A good deal of bitterness upfront with a nice smooth fruity hop flavor present throughout. Pear, pinneapple, lemon, and red grapefruit all make an appearance. The finish is slightly sweet and actually balances this brew quite nicely. The hop flavor isn't as pungent as the nose lead me to believe but I enjoy the complexity more than an all out one dimensional hop bomb. Even at nearly 8% the alcohol doesn't show up much at all in the flavor profile.

M- Light bodied with good carbonation.

O- This was quite a tasty brew and I'm lucky to have gotten some when I did as they were unable to brew it this year.

4.36/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into one of my tulip glasses, this beer pours a nice clear, medium golden amber color. The white head is initially about 1/2 inch thick when first poured before settling to a good thick ring lining the inside of the glass along with very nice lacing and some spotty surface foam resting on the top of the beer. Aromas of grapefruit/citrus and piney hops upfront followed with some more fruityness with hints of mango, rounded out with a bit of caramel malt. Has a wonderful grapefruit/citrus hop flavor upfront too along with hints of mango and pineapple that is rounded out with some caramel malt. The bready, malty sweetness on the back end certainly comes out more as the beer sits and warms up a bit. Not as bitter in terms of the hops as some other double IPAs I have had are, but that is not necessarily a bad thing here. Actually I am quite enjoying this dynamic here. The different flavor profiles are extremely well balanced. Has a fairly crisp, smooth and somewhat oily, medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. I do wish the mouthfeel was just a little more full bodied, but not a bad beer at all. Very good!

Eric

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

L: Clear honey amber with a head made up of large and small bubbles.
S: Lemony pine
T: Piney! Little bit of citrus. Very balanced, pleasant bitterness.
F: Very smooth, amazing texture - not quite creamy, not too thick or too thin, juuuust right.
O: I really like this one and will definitely have it again!

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear golden brown with a 1 finger white head and some nice lacing. The smell is fantastic with grapefruit floral grainy sweetness and some lemon notes. The flavor is not overly bitter with a big citrus hop flavor up front and a mild lingering bitterness with a faint malt profile. The mouthfeel is a bit light for the style but very drinkable. Overall this is an interesting brew with a really cool hop profile, I have been enjoying it for weeks.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Clear golden well-carbonated body with a healthy white head & amazing lace.
S: Tropical fruits, grapefruit, and floral nose emanate from the glass.
T: Light hoppy flavors crime with light bready malt notes and go on to finish dry & clean.
M: Smooth, clean, effervescent body with clean finish. Not overly bitter by any means.
O: Outstanding hoppiness in this delicious DIPA.

4.36/5  rDev +0.9%

A- By the looks of it, it doesn't look like much. Clear, golden thin head that dissipates quickly. Above average lacing.

S- Great citrus hop aroma. Doesn't attack the nostrils like my very favorite IPAs, but quite impressive none the less. Nice grapefruit and a solid dry aroma.

T-DELICIOUS. I read so much about it, I am one of the later BAs on the Sucks tasting line. So with all the hype I really wasn't expecting it to live up. However, it's all there. Great double IPA flavor, big citrus hops, even some lemongrass and pepper.

M- Nice and dry, I could go for a little more tongue-burn in my IIPA but it's definitely good stuff.

O- I love Lagunitas and this is my new favorite Lagunitas beer. Going to be a go to beer for me while this is still available.

4.36/5  rDev +0.9%

12oz into Ommegang BPA glass.

Very faint off-white head that fades quickly over an extremely clear golden to orange colored body.

Aromas are awesome. Fresh tangerine, pineapple, mango, and sweet maltiness.

Really light on the palate for a DIPA, with flavors of juicy grapefruit, pine, and guava. Great sweet, malt backbone to help balance. Delicious.

Abundant carbonation keeps this one from becoming thick on the mouthfeel. Nice dry finish.

The intense level of the flavor profile is somewhat surprising, given the <8% ABV. Whether this one is a PtE clone or not, it's straight delicious, and I will be searching feverously for a case starting tomorrow morning.

4.36/5  rDev +0.9%

Ripe peach and mango, juicy hop cones, west coast citric sugar. Pure single aroma, not complicated, just good.

Bright clarity to the deep gold colored glass (oversized chalice at the moment). Barely holds a thin spotty cover but a thin halo holds the edge and gives a little lacing

Watermelon rind soaked in hop oil. The levels of hops needed to pull such a heady nose takes its toll, deep bittering hop leaves go very earthy and cancel out a lot of the citric over time.

Prickly carbonation in an oily rich body

Yeah, Lagunitas Sucks. The lighthearted humility to lead with that line betrays the confidence of the brewers. These guys are on target and firing for effect. Clean, powerful, fresh, love these guys.This hop monster is an entertaining sipper on a cold night.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A- A light copper color, very clear, with about one and a half fingers of white foamy head that dissipates quickly. Beautiful lacing left on the glass.

S- Aroma is hoppy, earthy and piney. I also get notes of peach. I really like the smell of this beer. You can tell before tasting it that is going to be delicious.

T- The taste is predominantly bitter with a sufficient hop bite. A little bit of sweetness that keeps it balanced.

M- Medium bodied and smooth finish. No distinguishable alcohol taste.

O- Great imperial IPA that has an incredible balance of hops and and a little bit of sweetness. Didn't know a lot about this beer when I picked it up, but I will purchase more if I get the opportunity.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Fantastic. I've had this on tap and bottle this year. Smells strongly of citrus and pine. Tastes the same. Strong hoppy flavor. Mouthfeel not thick and creamy, but still not insignificant. Perhaps more impressive than Hopslam this year. Outstanding!

4.36/5  rDev +0.9%

Fun. Fun. Fun. Complex, citrus, pine, hops, and a little touch of malt. Long, tangy after taste. The citrus and pine overload is the opposite of boring.

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've over looked this Gem on more than one occasion....shame on me! Poured a golden, hazy orange into a tulip glass. Aroma was sweet, floral with some light pine. Taste follows the nose, sweet & floral with a very subtle malt back bone.
An automatic placement in my top 10 IIPA's. Well done Lagunitas!

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful, snow-white, 3-finger head with incredible retention and fluffy lacing. Brew is copper and straw, transparent, and incredibly lively and bubbly up the middle.

Light grapefruit and strong floral aroma, with a hint of brown sugar or caramel malt in the background. Some honey, and a faint whiff of that cat pee aroma. Tons, tons of hops.

Hops are a little brighter and greener than the aroma indicates, fairly resinous, somewhat flowery and dank. Most of the sweetness comes across in the malt, a little bit of honey, some brown sugar, rye, pepper, and grain. There's really a wide range to the hop profile, and it's fantastic.

Very lively, a bit of carbonation sting, solid medium bodied beer. Sticky retention. Slightly creamy.

This is a very good and solid DIPA. There's just a slight bite to the taste and the mouthfeel that keeps it from being on the level with Heady. There seems to be some inconsistency as well; the last several times I have had Sucks, it was worlds different - and better - than the first couple times.

I don't know if Sucks is really as worthy as the hype implies, but it's certainly a very, very good beer.

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a bit lighter and crisper than expected. The frothy white head doesn't stick around for long. Hops completely dominate the aroma. Yeah, a double IPA for sure. Hop oils assault the palate. Grapefruit and pine, mostly. Hint of heat from the 7.8% ABV. Rye comes through a bit in the finish. But this is all about the hops. Surprisingly, it's only 65 IBUs. Thought this would push closer to 100.

Hop heads, get it!

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer is clear golden yellow in color and has some hints of amber hues along with a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a finger and a half high dense white head that has excellent retention properties and took a very long time to die down, consistently leaving a short head covering the surface and lots of lacy rings of bubbles down the sides of the glass.
S: Moderate to strong aromas of citrusy hops are present in the nose—tangerines and grapefruit seem to stand out in particular.
T: Like the smell, the taste is very citrusy and also has prominent flavors of tropical fruits in the form of mangoes. A light to moderate amount of bitterness is present.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a little crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is extremely drinkable, especially since the bitterness is subdued compared to other beers in the style and no traces of alcohol are present in the taste. It's packed with so many flavors of mangoes and citrus that I feel like I am getting 100 percent of my recommended daily allowance of vitamin C.

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a brandy snifter

Pours a golden orange with a foamy 1 finger head that disappears to a thin sticky lace around the top of the beer. On the nose, your senses get attacked! Big piny hops, over-ripen citrus fruits, mango, tangerine, grapefruit. Sticky tobacco and marijuana scents in midst of the fruit. Again on the taste, sticky grapefruit, citrus hops, sticky and murky with a feverishly bitter aftertaste that just absolutely hits the spot, wow! Light to medium on the feel and body, bitter, deliciously drinkable, not much malt backbone as noted by other reviewers. This beer is fucking awesome! Make more of this shit and send it my way, im more than fine with having this over BS anyday, superior IPA.

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I guess I need to confess that I like lagunitas beers. Poured into a tulip glass from a 12 oz. bottle. Nice two finger head with good retention and great lacing. Golden color.

Smell is lagunitas standard. Pineapple? Sirupy hops with lots of sweetness. Orange rind with grapefruit.

Taste follows the nose with a nice sweet hoppiness to start, bitter hops in the middle with sweet hop to finish. Tastes like a combination of a little sumpin' sumpin' and brown shugga light. Since I like both beers I like this one.

Mouthfeel is normal double ipa. Good carbonation with a slight hop resin slickness.

Overall a really good double ipa. It's pretty much what I expected given the name and my familiarity with lagunitas.

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a nice fluffy 1/2 finger head that fades semi slow and reinforced by the many bubbles rising up, with a bit of lacing, over crystal clear pale pilsner tan colored beer.

Nose explodes with citrus and tropical fruit, a light musty fresh wet hop resinous aroma as well, tons of passion fruit right off the bat, also brings mango, papaya, pineapple, a bit of grapefruit and tangerine, wow! This nose in incredible!!! Oh yeah, the slightest hint of a malt base somewhere in there holding up the huge fresh tropical fruit hop explosion.

Taste comes on nicely as well, fresh tropical fruit right off. Fairly light on malts with just enough sweetness to deliver the hop profile, which is surprising for being 7.85%. Juicy fruits explode out of the gate, layers of pineapple, grapefruit, mango, passion fruit, again similar descriptors but that's what it is. A hint of citrus tangerine juicy fruit, and a very light resinous fresh wet hop like taste. On the back end I even get a slight mint. The fruit isn't as pronounced as the nose had, and the bitterness creeps up to slightly overpower the fresh fruit, as well as the musty resinous flavor which starts to dominate as it sits in my mouth and warms. The lack of malt seems to let the hops fall a little out of reach despite being so juicy fruit. A hint of warming booze in there as well. If there was a touch more malts I think this would have jumped up a notch as it would have given way for the palate to balance the bitterness and resinous flavors. As it finishes it's pretty dry with lingering mint and tropical fruit hops, decent bitterness, but mostly clean.

Mouth is med bodied but feels a bit flat as I was expecting a slight more malt to balance the hops, but good carbonation.

Overall great but just missing some balance. The tropical fruit aromas are phenomenal, and the flavor comes out great at first, but without the malts to balance the bitterness and resinous flavors start to come through a bit too much and drown out the great fruits.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company