Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,458 | Hads: 9,441
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Wow - I was very suprised by this. I got Lagunitas Sucks the same time I picked up Hopslam. I have been so nuts about Hopslam that I under estimated how this beer would compare. It blew me away and I might honestly like it better than Hopslam. Obviously its not quite as hoppy but it is well balanced all around. Seriously one of my favorite beers. (348 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Both straight from the bottle and also out of a pint glass

A - the classic golden, honey type color. Quite a bit of white foam, leaves plenty of lacing

S - subtle orange peel, lemon juice, some pine, a little bit of the malt in the background

T - hop forward but not overly bitter. Actually really balanced and drinkable. Easy drinking citrus notes with some tropical flavors in there as well. Not as in your face as hop stoopid or something like that. Could easily session a few, but for the 8% ABV.

M - nice oily hop presentation, not overly dry or quick on the finish.

O - killer smooth IPA. My favorite lagunitas by far. It's not as good as the hype, but its definitely in the neighborhood. (700 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Typical IPA presence when poured into a glass. Hops aroma is delicious, and the taste is of grapefruit, pine, and orange. I love that a beer this hoppy can be less than 8%abv.
On one other note, after I had a bottle of sucks i split a bittle of arrogant bastard, and it was the first time ive ever called arrogant bastard sweet and brown sugary. (346 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am a stout guy, so maybe I am jaded, but I didn't like it at all. Has an IPA taste, but didn't like the flavor. I expected more from this beer. It was a good balance of Flavors but something was missing and fell flat.

I'll have to try another and see. (255 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz single bottle poured into a DFH snifter... looking forward to getting one of their new "IPA" glasses - they look pretty cool. Anyhow...

A: Pours a slightly hazed orange gold; a pour down the center yields about a finger of sugary white head that leaves some nice patches of lace.

S: Herbal, sugary hops; there's some tropical citrus and resin in there, too; this one has a little stank on it, plus some light malt aroma - not much... maybe almond skin - kind of interesting... Hops are the primetime players, though.

T: Big resinous hop taste, right off the bat; some mild malt flavor (cracker) sweetens things a touch, but again - this is hophead territory for the most part. There's just a touch of alcohol on the end that takes away from everything, but that's OK.

M: Medium-full body; high carbonation; a touch oily; what every IPA should aspire to be!

O: I'm not sure if I'd put this into DIPA territory or not... It toes the line between big, hoppy American IPA and DIPA - kind of a toss up depending on the scale of your lupulin threshold. Plus, the lower abv at 7.85% leans it slightly toward "single" IPA. Anyway, this is great beer. Quite delicious and drinkable - next time I'll get a sixer. (1,212 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into a snifter

A pale golden color with some deeper orange hues. A thin, foamy off-white cap rose about a finger and fell quickly. Some patches of foam with a thin collar around the edges stay behind.

The nose is more subtle than I expected. A fairly subdued nose of oranges, pineapple, mango, apricot, and pine. A slightly biscuity malt backbone holds firm.

Malt hits first with tropical fruits quickly in tow....not in a burst, but rather a subtle slide onto the palate. I get some residual sweetness from the malt that is accentuated by the juicy fruits.

On the lighter side of medium with good carbonation. Light lingering sweetness.

I have to admit that this severly underwhelmed me. I expect my 4.4 rated DIPA's to blast me in the face with hops. This guy is really tame...perhaps too well-balanced...for my true enjoyment. I liked this beer, don't get me wrong, but I kept looking at it, hoping it would grab me and it never did. (960 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Had this one on draft where freshness always seems assured. It is a hop blast, what can I say. Almost felt like drinking cannabis mixed with OJ. The hoppiness dominates the beer a little too much, but tis all the rage I guess. Good to get it nice and fresh though and it is a fine beer. (286 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle from six pack purchased in the greater Washington D.C. area, poured into a 16 oz. pint glass, no birth date, drank 2/6-7/13 over several hours.

A: 4.5 - clearer than most for style (no hop haze), straw/yellow-orange color, 1 finger head lingered for >2 hours and remained with rim lacing, slight alcohol legs

S: 4.75 - fantastic flame-out aroma of tropical fruit (pineapple, mango and lychee...reminds me of NZ hops?) with developing pine, resin-y, Simcoe/Columbus/Centennial dankness as warms...definitely my favorite aspect of this beer!

T: 4.5 - quick punch of bitterness on the tip of the tongue that quickly slaps the taste buds into the tropics...take me back to Hawaii, slight booziness

M: 4.5 - bready but not too thick/sticky on the tongue, appropriate for style and allows the hop aroma and flavor to shine

O: 4.5 - probably one of the best bargains on the market for a DIPA (<$10/sixer in the greater Washington D.C. area) , which was only accentuated by comparing it side-by-side with (the ridiculously overpriced) Bell's Hopslam; Sucks clearly won this tropical fruit challenge for me. (1,125 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Amber in color with just the slightest haze. Poured out with two fingers of "peaches n' cream" colored head. I could decorate my house with the draping lacing in the glass.

S: Bursting full of pine, apricots, mango, and grapefruit.

T: Heavy on pine, with tart lemon and grapefruit flavors, along with subtle hints of the apricots and mangoes from the nose.

M: Medium body with medium carbonation. Nice balance.

O: I didn't know what to think before trying this one. Lagunitas has been a mixed bag for me. As soon as I opened it, I knew this beer was going to be amazing. A good smelling beer is like a pheromone, and the taste matched it's wonderful smell. (664 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Light tangerine gold color. Large, light, foamy, bubbly, sticky, white head. Average retention leaving a slight ring of lace.

S - Nice citrusy orange and tangerine hops. Hints of tropical fruit, especially pineapple. Hints of pine resin. Clean, biscuity/biscotti malt aroma. Slightly sweet and juicy.

T - Very balanced IPA that is similar to the nose. Fresh hoppy flavor to start with a fairly bitter pine and orange rind flavor. Very green and slightly weedy flavor. Nice, clean malt backbone throughout with a slight sweetness. Near the finish there is a nice fruity blast. Finishes clean, bitter, and with a slight tang.

M - Medium body with above average carbonation. Crisp, zesty, and lively.

D - Very balanced IPA. Alcohol is very well hidden. Exceptionally drinkable and quite refreshing with a nice clean finish. Great mix of bitter and sweet and very fresh tasting.

Notes: Really nice IPA (I don't really see it as a double but whatever). Balanced and quite refreshing. Nice mix of different hoppy flavors, but what really made this nice was just how fresh the hop flavors were and how it jumped out at you. Great clean, slightly sweet, malt backbone that allowed that to happen. Worth picking up a sixer. (1,223 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle served into a pint glass

Looks like lagunitas chronic gold

I get whiffs of Pineapple, Citrus, Passion Fruit, Grapefruit hops.

Tastes like a pineapple passion fruit orgasm. Very hop heavy. Slightly bitter. Slight Malt taste. So much fruity flavor, a tropical assault on the palate.

Smooth and medium body. Very drinkable, nice carbonation. A bit sparkly in a good way.

An outstanding DIPA from one of the greatest breweries on the planet. They absolutely crushed this one. This is the perfect IPA imo, fruit & hop heavy - little pine, no floral flavor, minimal malts, yet balanced. At $9.99 a six pack this is my favorite seasonal double IPA. More affordable than HopSlam or Abrasive but it has just as much flavor. I would kill to have this on tap in Cali. Lagunitas Sucks. (792 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish Head oversized goblet.

Amber liquid with a champagne half-finger of dense foam spread across the wide surface. Good clarity, pasty lacing, good retention.

Herbaceous, floral, fruity, continuously detonating hop bomb of a nose...though never abrasive or over-done. Passion fruit, pink peppercorn, violets, rosewater, along with the more expected citrus (Ugli fruit?) and pine (very light).

Malty palate entry leads with a deceitful honey/nectar sweetness lulling you into an initial calm before the lagging wave of hop flavors arrives all at once, acting in concert, pungent and bewildering, with an unwavering punch of bitterness and resinous soapy goodness. A lovely lively mixture that finishes without any excess (no cat piss, pinesol, etc.) despite the general intensity. Guessing the immense hop additions came late to dial down the IBUs - whatever they did, it works well, achieving balance without much maltiness.

Creamy, oily, medium-full bodied, warming but never solventy...moderately carbonated and soft yet bright from the citrus notes and bitterness.

Particularly for the price, this is a hop-head's delight - complex, flavorful, well crafted, and intense without being overdone or generic. Very satisfying. (1,268 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The beer pours a lovely oranged yellow, almost golden, with a great big slightly cream white head that sits at over two finger widths. The body is light and translucent, with only the faintest mist of haze, and a steady stream of gentle carbonation bubbles working to the top of the glass. The beer’s lacing is droopy and thin, leaving a spatterwork of hanging sheets upon the sides of the glass. On the nose the beer smells big with minty pine, a touch of citrus, and a faint touch of salty onion. The grains are found only as the lightest backdrop for the smell, suggesting slight toasty bread and caramel. On the tongue, the beer tastes bitter with a nice light sweet tinge. The beer begins with sweet bitters before opening into slightly caramelly herbal bitters that lightly suggest mint and onion. The finish runs with a light touch of orange citrus and is strong with pine, which lasts into the finish. The aftertaste is light with medicinal bitters and piney hops. On the mouth, the beer feels medium-light in body, with just the faintest gelling to suggest a heavier beer. The carbonation leaves a decent prickle on the tongue, and after the beer leaves the mouth is left sticky-dry, with a bitter astringency gripping at the tongue, though the mouth is clean. Overall, I’m a little disappointed with Sucks… Lots of people are heralding this beer as an amazing DIPA, but honestly I see it more as a strong IPA, falling just short of the bigger flavors that a DIPA carries. The beer is nicely drinkable, and carries some nice bitters, but the onioniness that this beer has is throwing me off the taste, and other than that I fine the hop profile a little lackluster in terms of complexity. Just to clarify, I have tried a six-pack of these now, and all of them have had the slight onion flavor, which is odd and I suppose I will chalk up to an older pack (though they had spent less than a week on the shelf when I picked them up…). This beer is a mediocre almost-DIPA, in my book, but is not really worthy of hunting down. (2,039 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

I decided to give this one a go based on several comparisons made to Hopslam. Most of these reviews were of the opinion that Hopslam is overrated and Sucks was superior. My response is that this simply isn't the case. Sucks is far less complex than Hopslam. There is nothing particularly wrong with Sucks for what it's billed as, but it doesn't really stand out either.

I'm not going into any more detail about my ranking, as I won't be describing anything that hasn't already been posted. (490 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Re-reviewing because I find I can't stop drinking this stuff, and it deserves a better rating than I gave it initially.

Poured into a 16 oz Hopleaf Tulip. Unsure of the date of freshness, but drinking it 2 days after buying, and it just showed up in the store.

Appearance: Clear, copper color, and off-white head of about 2 finger thickness. Fantastic retention and lacing.

Smell: Very nice on the nose. Orange peel, mango, citrus, pine, floral, and honey.

Taste: Not sure if the first batch I had was old, but this one is exploding with flavor. Hops galore on the taste. Tropical citrus, mango, and pineapple dominate. The grassy, floral notes are present but take a backseat. Strong malt backbone. This is made with a "cereal" of malts including barley, rye, wheat and oats. Can't understand who would need more malt out of a DIPA. Mild bitterness on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, a touch of acidity. Smooth, sticky on the finish. Not overly dry.

Overall: I've come full circle on this beer now. I loved its first release in 2011. The first time I had this year's batch I was surprised at how malty it was, given how everyone kept calling it a DIPA. That, combined with the fact that I picked up on less hops than I do now, made me think of this as more of a strong ale, so it took away points for the lack of sticking to the style. However, I keep drinking it and now I can't stop. I dont care if I get a heavy malty stickyness from that cereal medley of malt, it tastes really good. Call it what you will, but I'm in favor of a beer that just tastes great, even if it doesn't fit squarely into one style. For $9/6 pack, I can't imagine I will drink much else while this is available. (1,708 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lagunitas Sucks 12 ounce bottle

Aroma: Huge citrus nose. Grapefruit, lemons, some pine. A slight malty sweetness present.

Appearance: golden, clear with one finger of head.

Flavor: Grapefruit and lemons predominate. Some malty sweetness to balance. Bitter finish that lingers. Exceeded my expectations.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly light for a nearly 8 percent ABV beer. Medium carbonation.

Overall: Lagunitas excels at hop forward beers and Sucks is one of the Crown Jewels. I bought two six packs and will be back to get more before its gone. Highly recommended for all hop heads. Buy it while you can! (606 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Does Lagunitas brew any IPA that DOESN'T rock??

Another winner out of Petaluma. Bright, flavorful hops up front with a restrained malt body and no alcohol bite whatsoever. The first sip opens up with some tangerine, pineapple, and light lemon flavors. Sweetness from the malts backs up the hops and tones down the bitterness. Just a well-balanced beer overall, perhaps leaning a bit more on the bitter side compared to Brown Shugga. This is something I would expect to be released during the dog days of summer.

A bit more malt backbone and higher ABV and this would be 5's across the board for me. As it is, it's still phenomenal, but not quite 100. (652 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

well, we'll see if i have developed that refined taste for that west coast turbo-hopped brew yet. i honestly dont think lagunitas could brew anything without the incredible amount of hops to hide the alcohol but let's try this. i CAN appreciate a hop beer, i just prefer a balance of the other stuff available.
poured a beautiful golden with very little foam on top, although the thin film remaiing on top does cling to the glass quite nicely. i like that.
as it pours, i am inundated with the aroma of what i imagine would be walking through a grapefruit harvest or a hop harvest. i do like the smell of hops; it's just that i feel they add a bitterness which i havent really come to appreciate yet.
the taste is . . . . grapefruit/lemonade. enough said! there is some tingling on the tongue, like some effervescence of the carbonation and i get the distinct image of a kid's lemonade stand selling this. not sweet like i would expect, but not terrible. almost a fusion of lemon and grapefruit (once again). being a city boy, i can also almost imagine a grassy field i'm walking through, wafting in the aroma just before the allergies set in...
overall? decent. seems everyone else is scoring it highly and i can appreciate what i'm drinking. it's a great in-betweener of all the different beers i have lined up for the afternoon but i imagine my tongue would shrivel up and i would lose my appetite (maybe not a bad thing in my case) if i were to drink the entire six pack of this. but i believe it earns the scores i give it... and i like the high abv! (1,556 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

beautiful amber straw. Nice white head, lingers, laces.

The nose holds a citric hop profile with some... round sweet something, almost a bubblegum style aroma. Not actually bubblegum but round like that. Or something?

Hoppy hopperson. Citrus hops.

smoothe enough on the finish, the hops linger linger linger (311 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

12 ounce bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - It is amber in color with about four inches of off-white head.

S - The aroma is citrus with a focus on grapefruit. I get some pine/juniper as well.

T - The taste is not as intense as I expected. The citrus/grapefruit come through but not with the smack in mouth that I was anticipating.

M - Moderate with plenty of carbonation.

O - It is a good beer, but I think the hype kind of raised my expectations. I have enjoyed every Lagunitas beer that I have tried so far, and this is no exception. It is just not the mind blowing beer that I have heard that it was. (609 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Very interesting aroma here. Burley tobacco and super piney hops lead the nose and the taste follows suit. The mouthfeel is medium. The over-the-topness falls short in the finish as the sweet hoppiness thins out. Overall a very good IPA and the aroma alone makes it worth the cost of the six-pack. Will definitely buy again. (324 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle poured into snifter

A- Clear golden with creamy/sticky two finger head with nice retention and lacing

S- Aromas are FANTASTIC! Huge citrus hop profile featuring grapefruit, pineapple, and mango with some malty biscuit sweetness.

T- Follows the nose to a tee. Grapefruit and piney hop bitterness is complimented by the sweet mango and malty flavors. FANTASTIC!

M- Medium bodied with that excellent oiliness and hop pucker that all the great IIPAs posses.

O- This IIPA is absolutely dialed in. Every aspect of the brew compliments the other. The most balanced take on the style I have had to date! (612 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Crystal clear light copper colored body with a beautiful sticky white head on top. Lots of tropical/citrus fruit and pine notes right up front on the nose. Pretty straight forward all-hop no-malt aroma.

Grapefruit and mango notes in the first few sips. Some resiny flavors as well. Not a whole lot going on elsewhere. Seems to be lacking a certain something that might help round it out a bit more but I'm not quite sure what it is. Lacking a malt-backbone perhaps?

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side for a DIPA. Certainly makes it quite drinkable and refreshing. Overall, this is certainly an excellent DIPA but it falls just short of some of my favorites which seem to have more body to them. (695 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - orange blossom honey hued, with hald a finger of pure white head fed by plenty of carbonation and even some sediment

S - sweet grapefruit aroma, with hints of pine, but deceptively sweet

T - grapefruit erupts immediately a supreme tart fruit experience that melds nicely into a layered sweet and tart amalgamation,

M&D&O - an improperly named beer, nothing sucks about this brew othere than running out. its simple without being boring, provocative without being complex,a wonderful beer (494 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +9.9%

OK, I LOVE this IPA - I am signing on to this site again for the first time in 3 years only to let folks know TO TRY THIS IPA!!

I've tried it both on tap and in the bottle. I actually use a glass (instead straight out of the bottle to capture more aroma)

It bumped out Sweetwater IPA for my first place brew . It is just loaded down with Simcoe hops. The best nose I've ever smelled on an IPA (frankly, it's nearly identical to the IPA I homebrew but with a bright polish.

OK what is so damn good about this IPA?

1)- the nose is fantastic best I've EVER smelled on an IPA
2) the balance - they absolutely nailed the balance of the IBUs to the alcohol sweetness and nailed the combination of hops to the malt (a bit of biscuit malt in there?)

Enough Raving - HEY LAGUNITAS MAKE THIS BEER YEAR AROUND - THANK YOU!! (819 characters)

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company