Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,459 | Hads: 9,445
4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Bright, clear and golden yellow with a frothy white head, Lagunitas Sucks sits temptingly in the glass.

Pow, the aroma hits you right off with strong grape-fruity hops, this must be one of the better aromas I've encountered from a double IPA.

Huge grapefruit, lemon and orange hop flavors pop out in this beer backed up by a lightly toasted big bready malt backbone. Light hints of toffee come through and the finish is nicely bitter in the back of the mouth.

Mouthfeel is firmly medium, pleasantly carbonated and smooth.

Nicely done Double IPA! (549 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a bomber into an Odell tulip

A: clear bright honey orange with a crown of head that subsides quickly
S: Wow, that is even better than what I remember from years past. Outstanding. Tangerine, bright ripe orchard fruits (apples, peaches) and a little juicy citrus, very faint grassiness, some dank weed. Really nice bright and clean, then dank; sweet but not cloyingly so.
T: Like the nose, but add in some more bitterness, resin, and even some spicy notes. The malted grains are standing up to the potent hops pretty well, but it is difficult for me to get a read on what they're adding to the overall flavor -- some smooth sweetness, I guess, and maybe some spiciness from the rye.
M: pretty smooth, creamy, and (considering the abv) even light. It is bitter, but in a pleasant way that is easy to drink (at least for this hophead).

Overall: I don't remember liking this quite as much in years past, but this year it really hits the spot, and is spot on. Outstanding. (983 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +6%

No bottle date, but its probably just a week old.
Pour into a standard tulip.

Appearance: Pours an absolutely vibrant yellowish gold with a thick, two finger pure white head. Great head retention and TONS of sticky lacing.

Aroma: HOP NUKE TO THE NOSE! Absolutely gushing with hop aromatics; Extremely ripe cantaloupe, big grapefruit and the usual citrus suspects. some very faint, although complex malt in the background; sweet biscuit and rye seed mostly.

Taste: HUGE hops right up front as expected; Grapefruit and candied oranges, faint honey dew and that amazing "burnt plastic/wet rubber band" taste that only insanely massive amount of hops will give you. Sweet cracker and biscuit-y malt on the back end. A whisper of spicy rye before the very dry, bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, medium to light body with moderate-high carbonation.

Overall: An absolutely fantastic example of a true to form West Coast IPA. Definitely straddles the line between an IPA and a Double IPA. I feel its closer to a well-hopped single IPA than a double, personally. I cannot recommend this beer more highly. I would definitely put this beer next to my other all time favorite single IPAs (Sculpin and Blind Pig). If you see this, buy it immediately. Truly is an amazing beer. Lagunitas desperately needs to make this a year round offering. (1,334 characters)

Poured from their 12oz bottle...

Appearance - Poured a good finger of tight eggshell head, color is a brite translucent lite gold amber color. Very nice webbed lacing.

Smell - Wonderful sitrus smells, grapefruit, pineapple, touch of wheat and rye.

Taste - What a nice complexity of flavors here. Grapefruit, pineapple, pear, white grape, touch of apple, and then I get a nice breadiness at the back, subtle wheatcrust, with some pepper/carraway/rye, citrus peel and pine long into the finish. This is really good.

Mouthfeel - This is nearly a medium mouthfeel beer, but also has alot of carb. So this starts out very smoooth, nearly a creaminess, then the carb breaks out over the tongue and cleans n clears things, adding a nice crispness near the end of the sip. Even though the carb is up there, its more of a smooth foaming feel vs. harsh and drying.

Overall - I find myself contemplative in every sip, a great complexity and a great balance of wonderful flavors going on here. Alcohol is completely hidden. I will definitely be purchasing more of this while it is still available. Great job again Lagunitas, two thumbs up from me, highly recommend. (1,159 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a great clear orange, really a treat to look at.

The smell is very tropical, almost like sticking your nose in a plate of mango, orange, pinapple and grapefruit with a shot of vodka poured over it all. So basically it is very fruity but you do get a hint of alcohol.

Taste follows the nose, starts off with a little sweet malt then moves into the tropical fruit, mango, pinapple and orange, it finishes with a bittering dryness that is just top notch... I gave the taste a 5 because it is pretty near perfect for my preferance in the style big and fruit filled.

Mouthfeel is a solid medium with a dry bite of carbonation that takes shape in the end nicely.

I love this beer as I am now on my 4th 6 pack of it, that being said I do prefer Maximus slightly because of the stronger malt bill but the margain is so small that it is basically a tie. Man Lagunitas knows how to work the hops that is for sure! (914 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Clear golden well-carbonated body with a healthy white head & amazing lace.
S: Tropical fruits, grapefruit, and floral nose emanate from the glass.
T: Light hoppy flavors crime with light bready malt notes and go on to finish dry & clean.
M: Smooth, clean, effervescent body with clean finish. Not overly bitter by any means.
O: Outstanding hoppiness in this delicious DIPA. (382 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +3%

A. Clear golden colored ale with a sparse, fast breaking white head.

S. Sweet pineapple, citrus and a bit of pine tinged alcohol.

T. Tropical fruits of pineapple and citrus that is nicely balanced against bready malt. Finishes with well rounded hop bitterness.

M. Medium bodied with a silky feel. Light to moderate carbonation.

O. This is another great hop centric offering from Lagunitas. There's plenty of hop goodness here but in a nice, easy drinking way. Another reviewer compared this to HopSlam - that is pretty apt - call it a baby HopSlam. (555 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Review taken 3rd Saturday in Feb.(2014)

12 oz short brown bottle with one of my favorite labels so far in 2014. A bit plain, but gets its point across nicely with a lovely story on its origination. It's just a label that does it for me. Poured into a standard American pint glass.

A - somewhat hazy golden with a yellow tone to it. This really pops with all sorts of glowing liquid when held in the light. Beautiful. Nice sized white head on the pour really blended well and right away made me feel comfortable that I was about to taste pure class from this bottle. Head mellows out into a creamy splotched lacing leaving fine stick caked the the sides of my pint glass.

S - up front there are some really amazing whiffs going on. Loads of fruitiness with tangerine, juicy orange, grapefruit, and fresh pineapple. Slight hint of west coast pine sap and a dank hop funk adds even more brilliance in this nose. A swift bready give it just the right balance of aromas and pushes itself in the territory that seperates the great from the very good. This is what an ipa is supposed to smell like.

T - lots of citrus and tropical fruits. Follows right in line with its nose. Big gushing fruitiness of tangerine, orange, pineapple, and grapefruit up front. The pine notes are straight up sap like but quickly fold before they punish you. It's a nice touch and allows for that very fresh, resinous, dank hop character you get toward the middle. Everything is balanced wonderfully with a Lagunitas style yeast and bready maltiness that never really takes control but adds top shelf class to this area of the flavor. Finish is carries a crisp semi bitterness that leaves a beautiful taste in the back end.

M - bigger medium body. Not huge, but flavorful and coats well. Texture and thickness are exceptional. Crazy drinkable and easy going considering the flavors it gushes out. It just feels right. Not sure anything is perfect, but this is sure close.

O - Hmm.. What can one say about Sucks? How about its great. I mean, truly grand. Something I could seriously drink every single day of the year. I get in moods where
I crave something then something different the next day. This is something I will crave daily. Thinking, waiting, and searching the next time its released. No doubt about it. This has loads of quality and class. The first taste lets you know this is something different, one of a kind, something you'll pick up any time you see it. (2,452 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A- a clear gold with heavy orange hues. Bright white head, that laces very, very nicely.

S- Instantly identifiable as a Lagunitas beer. Reminds me of their IPA, but much heavier on the tropical hop notes.

T- A big bitter hit, transitions into the tropical hop notes. Bitterness makes a comeback on the back end. It's good, but I wish there was more intensity of the tropical hop flavors.

M- Plenty dry without being crushingly so. Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O- Looks great, smells great, and tastes pretty good. I'll certainly have it again, but it's not DFH 90-minute level. (633 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Found this at a bottle shop during a trip in Boston, thanks to SilentJay. Poured into my newly acquired Portsmouth Brewery snifter. (Currently drowning my sorrows after losing on all 25 of my 1 in 7.5 Kate the Great scratch offs.)

Pours burnt orange/golden, a rim of white head. Leaves a little bit of lacing. Smells of pine needles up front, some tropical fruit undertones as well. Reminds me a lot of Spruce Pilsner from Shorts. The taste is outstanding. Very crisp, pine notes up front but it finishes very smooth. No real alcohol taste on this one. The fruity zest is very faint on the backbone.

Light bodied with good carbonation. Very good IPA, I wish this damn beer would have hit stores in Michigan so I could have plenty to drink at home. Well done Lagunitas, just get your shit together and get more to Michigan!!! (827 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L-It pours a gold clear color with a thin head that dissipates quickly.
S-Does smell like hops and grass. A little floral hints at the end.
T-A little lighter then a traditional IPA. Not as hop forward with more grain.
F-A little stays on the tounge but for the most past the feel goes down with the beer.
O-It is good. Not something I would seek out again but I'm glad I picked up the double pint fatty bottle. The price point was something that I couldn't ignore either. $6.50 for a 32 oz bottle is a very, very fair deal in this day and age. (544 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -21.9%

This beer poured with no head. It is a pale golden color that in all honesty doesn't look a whole lot different from a pale ale. The lack of any discernible head was also disappointing.

The nose is very boozy. I also get a bit of sweet malitness, but mostly its straight booze.

The taste is a bit of hop bitterness up front (not too much though, but enough to know that it is an IPA) and then a lot of malt sweetness. This beer then finishes with a moderate amount of bitterness, but certainly less than expected. I don't get any citrusy hops at all, there is definite bitterness and some definite pinyness to the hops though.

Overrall this beer is ok. I do not think it lives up to the hype in any way shape or form. That said, at $10.99 for a six pack it is easily the most affordable DIPA that I am aware of. It just can't compete in the flavor or nose department with MBC Lunch, Heady Topper, or other great DIPA's. (922 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a crystal clear orange with big white head that lingers and laces.

Smells of strawberry, mango, apricot, stone fruit and some honey from the sweet malt.

Taste is up front mango, pear, strawberry that fades into a slightly grapefruit yet still lighter fruit middle and ends on a bitter note with more pear and mango fruit. Similar flavor to Nelson hops but with far more going on...really rounded finish. Truly amazing hop flavor. People would be loosing it even more if smaller brewery X made this beer.

Lighter body with medium carbonation and somewhat dry work quite well. Alcohol does not come through.

If you like fruit forward hop character, you'll be hard pressed to find a better example. (707 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Bottled Dec. 5, reviewed Dec. 22. Poured into a tulip.

Lightly golden in color, very clear and clean. I like clear beers, for some reason. Head is small, but leaves some lacing.

Smell is all tropical, with dry notes of mango, pineapple, passion fruit, some grapefruit. If I were blindfolded, I might think this smelled like freshly squeezed fruit juice.

Flavor is juicy and fruity. Light malt backbone provides
sweetness but no real flavor, letting a layer of citrus peel and tropical fruit flavors take over. The pineapple/mango/etc. profile dominates, with little of the typical citrus/pine interplay. Not very bitter, to my tastes. Sweet at first, but finishes crisp.

Mouthfeel is medium-heavy, feeling sweeter than it is before finishing somewhat crisp.

Overall this is a high-quality IPA, especially for the price. Though everyone seems to worship the tropical fruit qualities of some IPAs, in reality this flavor reminds me immensely of (high quality) fruit juice, and I could only have maybe two of these beers in a row. Great example of that hop profile, though. (1,075 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Overflowed the english pint glass with a moderate pour, the foam built quickly and got roughly two fingers tall before toppling over the edge. Bright white in color, made of mixed sized bubbles, as it fell lacing was left behind resembling thick cotton. Crystal clear beer, no haze or sediment to speak of, just a golden color a hair darker then a gold ale or some such light colored ale.

S: Big bright citrus, melons, mango and other tropical fruit hop aroma. A few notes of biscuity malt hide underneath the hops. Very nicely hop dominated with distinct aromas coming through in a good synergy.

T: Sharp, not harsh, and bright bitterness consistent with the citrus forward aroma. The hop flavor follows through to the middle with pine and tropical fruit. Also getting some fruity ester qualities, maybe from the fermentation character. Underlying malt is supportive of the hops but takes a backseat. Light bready, bread crust flavors. A bit of a spicy character also, rye is what comes to mind.

M: Higher carbonation levels, I think it might actually be what is emphasizing the sharpness in the hop bitterness for me. Very light body with a dry finish. There is also an interesting creamy mouthfeel I don't normally get with IPAs, definitely unique.

O: Great nose on the beer followed by a unique mouthfeel and a taste that doesn't disappoint. Its all I look for in an IPA, but is it something I would blow the doors off for? Not really. But just because there are a ton of great IPAs out there. (1,504 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden straw color with a thin white head. Huge tropical fruit aroma right off the bat. A little citrus too. No detectable alcohol. Taste is huge tropical fruits, dankness, and citrus. Still no alcohol. One of the smoothest drinking DIPAs out there. This stuff is liquid gold. The blend of malts is perfect and makes this beer incredibly drinkable and balanced. Overall one of the best DIPAs around. I just wish they had it in 6 packs more often. The 32oz bottle is a bit ridiculous, but priced pretty fairly. Make sure to check the bottled on date. These things have become shelf turds. (595 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +4.8%

2012 12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours an orangey/pineapple juicy color. Hardly see through it, even though its light in color. Fluffy white head, with very nice lacing. Its a unique looking beer.

S: Holy shit, dank citrusy pine smell. Most citrus smelling beer I have come across. Touch of lemon zest in there as well. Really shines onthe aroma.

T: MMmmm. Zesty pine, citrus taste coming in strong. Strong bitter finish. Biscuty bread feel as well. Almost can snap this one.

M: Resin sticky dry finish. Medium bodied and perfect amount of carbonation.

O: Lagunitas nailed it. While I don't really love their standard IPA, Maximus and Sucks stand out to me. They shine on the shelf full of IPAs. Do yourself a favor and try this beer, it's excellent. (771 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured to goblet

A: golden, translucent with a finger width creamy head that leaves great lacing.

S: lovely aroma of hops, citrus and pine that delight your sense of smell.

T: big bold citrus flavors, with a hint of piney resin. Slight bitter finish.

M: medium body, creamy. Very easy drinking.

O: wow! This is really tasty. I will be stocking up. (364 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Golden, pale, filtered. Lots of lacing.

S: Big tropical fruits and pine aromas.

T: Fruity, lots of pineapple, pine sap, mango.

M: Can't detect much heat, quaffable for an DIPA.

O: Big complex hop flavors & aroma. Can't really pick up any malt flavors, since the hops are so over the top here. Yet another great IPA from Lagunitas. (341 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance (4.25): Clear orange golden color with a finger of off white head

Smell (4.5): A pungent, dank aroma; A ton of tropical fruit, grapefruit, pineapple, orange zest, pine, and onion spice that i love in IPAS. Very enticing aroma

Taste (4.5): A lot of the same tropical fruit character as the nose, pine, onion, and also the slightest malt bill.. But for the most part dank and juicy.

Mouthfeel (4.75): This may be the best mouthfeel of any IPA (or DIPA for that matter) iv ever had. No hop bite that many are are guilty of. So smooth considering the abv. Feels more like a 5% beer

Overall (4.55): This has the big dank, bright fruit flavor without the bitter mouthfeel; Exacly what i go for in an IPA/DIPA. This goes down like a 5% beer, not 8%. I'm glad i grabbed the last two 32oz bottles off the shelf. Considering the price, this is at the top of the list of best beers for the value. In fact, this may even be one of my top 5 IPAS i have tried right up there with Enjoy By, Head Hunter, and Sculpin to name a few. (1,031 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Russian River tulip.

A: The beer is gold, pure gold. There is nice head of off-white foam that has very strong lacing.

S: Very strong, tangy tropical fruits along with aromatic pine hops and a hint of malt.

T: The flavor is very similar with tangy/astringent tropical fruits such as pineapple and mango. Pine bitterness also present, but the malt isn't really noticeable.

M: Very easy going medium body with a smooth mouthfeel and fantastic carbonation.

O: Lagunitas needs to screw up more. This is a fantastic Imperial IPA. Need to buy more while I still can. (593 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

looks above average. Very golden in color, not orange or amber to be found. Nice lacing and legs though. Looks nice.

Smells like Lagunitas, that nice house profile. Smells just like their IPA and their SUMPIN SUMPIN as well. It's that perfect balance between pine needle and citrus.

Incredibly smooth, just as a I remember. This is one of those beers where, one time it tastes very PINY and the next day it tastes very citrusy. It's just very balanced. A touch of rye bitterness on the back end, but it somehow compliments the beer very well. It lingers nicely!

I think I liked this one better last year, but I did get a whole case. Let's see how my taste buds react next time. (682 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a Cigar City pint glass...can only assume its fresh

A: Pours a beautiful beautiful yellowish orange color with about an inch of head that lasts and actually sticks to the side of the glass in a befuddling pattern. I like it.

S: Smell is strong of grapefuit and piney hops. Mild citrus, lemon, bread, a little mango and guava also.

T: Similar to the smell, but you get more booze on the back of the tongue. Also more sugar, which is enjoyable to me as it cuts the alcohol a touch and brings forth the "exotic" fruit flavors....even some nectarine/clementine which I didnt get from the smell. Very interesting and enjoyable.

M: Medium mouthfeel, nothing spectacular here to set it apart from any other DIPA but it has mild carbonation which is fitting for the style.

O: Overall, I really like this beer. A great beer to have if you want to have 2-4 in a night, as I dont think I could do it for more than that due to the sweetness. I had some reservations after the brown shugga (which I really didnt care for) but this beer is great and balances the hops and fruity flavors like no other beer does. You wont find another beer to directly compare this to. Cheers Lagunitas, youve won me back...if you permanently "substitute" this for brown shugga I will never complain. (1,299 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Good two finger head. Color was a unique golden brown. Good carbonation.

S - Wow! Sweet brown sugar.

T - I can taste a little something different after every sip. Grapefruit, pine, toffee. To bad my store said they won't be getting any more :(

M - So easy to go down. Just right on the hops.

O - Picked up 2 (6) packs and upon my first taste I didn't think it was worth the hype. After my second beer I'm hooked! Need more. (432 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle to pint glass. Pours three fingers frothy white head, with excellent retention and sticky lacing walls. Golden and orange, clear but some small particulate matter visible. Head fades eventually to thick film. Oranges immediately apparent to nose, followed by rye, spices and lemon peel. Tastes just like nose, with a balanced bitterness and cereal grains. Feels medium/heavy bodied, with moderate carbonation. Love the rye feel. Aftertaste lingers for several minutes. Alcohol is well disguised, leaving no drying sensation. Love the combination of wheat, oats, rye and barley. Makes for great complexity. This is a great holiday style ale, and their story behind this brew cracked me up. I forgive you, Lagunitas. Keep up the good work. (756 characters)

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company