Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -5.1%

Crystal clear golden yellow body with tight white head. Fantastic lacing.

Fresh citrus hops create a sweet nose. Clementine, grapefruit, and mango. There's pine, too.

The taste is loads of citrus, Christmas trees, and barely a trace of bready malt.

Mouthfeel is crisp, oily, then dry. It's very bitter.

It is a very good DIPA. There is a huge hype following this and I can't argue that.

4.1/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - orange blossom honey hued, with hald a finger of pure white head fed by plenty of carbonation and even some sediment

S - sweet grapefruit aroma, with hints of pine, but deceptively sweet

T - grapefruit erupts immediately a supreme tart fruit experience that melds nicely into a layered sweet and tart amalgamation,

M&D&O - an improperly named beer, nothing sucks about this brew othere than running out. its simple without being boring, provocative without being complex,a wonderful beer

4.05/5  rDev -6.9%

No bottling or best by date...I never learn. 12 oz bottle from a six pack.

Pours a slightly hazed medium yellow with an inch of puff that pusses out to thin skim. Lacing is pretty damn lacy.

Nosey tropicality the likes of pineapple, gummy peaches and oddly guava. Whatever the hop I perceive as peach is a hop I dig. I used to eat the hell out of those Gummy peaches, but I cannot stomach the texture of an actual peach. This is the life I lead; play on player.

Guava up front segues to a firm moderate bitter bite through the middle and that sort-of-difficult-to-describe-but-you-know-it's-Lagunitas-sandpapery-graininess on the finish. Reminiscent of the Sumpins with a slightly more tropical hop profile.

There is something about the grainy feel of these beers that doesn't quite sit well with me; it's almost a solvent quality that takes away from some of more impressive parts of the beer.

Another good bang for the buck beer from Lagunitas, but not a major departure from their more standard hoppy offerings.

4.68/5  rDev +7.6%

A-pale transparent orange with almost no head. some white around the edge.

S-holy crap. this smells godly! tropical grapefruit hops in heaven!! strong scent. i love it.

T-comes in with an amazing taste of clean tropical grapefruit hops. its so crisp and clean! and smooth! some awesome bitterness at the end. the after-taste isn't strong but it is long lasting with some grains.

M-creamy medium carbonation with a dry finish

O-just wow. loved this so much more than Brown Shugga. i loved this more than most beers. so much flavor and its so smooth! i NEED more! if you enjoy hops, search this out!

4.41/5  rDev +1.4%

Nothing wrong with the appearance. Classsic golden orange color with the meringue-like head. Slightly lighter color than most, but a crowd pleaser. Head had decent retention and moderate lacing.

The most malt I can remember from a double IPA. There's still plenty of faint citrus and pine to go around, but an amazing amount of grains went into this. Regardless, it's got the west coast scent down pat.

Again, very malty, but well balanced against the citrusy and piney hops. Think biscuits with grapefruit marmalade. I never tire of the west coast flavor.

Probably the smoothest IIPA I've had. Well composed with the sublest of transitions from sweet to bitter. Sweet up front, building acidity mid-sip, then a lingering bitterness in the swallow. Extremely simple to drink, goes down easy. Medium-bodied with a crisp finish.

I'm giving extra points for coming in a 32-ounce bottle, but despite that, this beer is exceptional overall. Nice level of ABV, great taste, and not too bitter. One of my new favorites.

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

4.35/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance:
The beer itself is a clear and golden amber while the head is white and creamy. The head dissipates fairly quickly but leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

Smell:
The hops smell grapefruits and hint of malty sweetness to balance out the hops. There may also possibly be some sugar in as well.

Taste:
Grapefruit and citrus hops with malty sweetness and possibly some sugary sweetness as well.

Mouthfeel:
Heavy bodied with biting carbonation. The feel is sort of right for a DIPA but to me it feels little heavier and not as crisp as other DIPAs that I've had.

Overall:
A pretty good DIPA and well worth getting. I had seen this beer before but I didn't get until this year. I will definitely be picking up a six-pack of this again.

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

12oz bottle into a tulip. Pours a medium orange that is pretty transparent. Good head retention. The nose is grapefruit, lemon, mango, pine. This is a pure citrus bomb. The taste is strong citrus fruit with the grapefruit and lemon really shining through. The mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing. Overall this beer is a brilliant citrus IPA that packs a silent punch with the ABV. My favorite Lagunitas IPA.

4.15/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance: Very much like liquid gold. Bright, clear, and a lively carbonation. Head is bright-white and leaves some solid lacing. Head dwindles to a thin cap on the beer. Sticks around for the duration.

Smell: Mango, pineapple, touches of mint and pine. Pungent tropical aromas mix with some nice citrus backing. Grapefruit flesh and orange sweetness. Malts are buried in the back. Slightly edge of bread crust and biscuit dough. Loads of hop depth and aroma.

Taste: Pine and mango in equal measure. Slick oily hops. Faintly bready malts on the back. It's all about the hops. Big resinous pine finish. Touches of mint leaf pop out after a few sips. Aggressively bitter on the back. Not attempt at balance, but it works. Orange pith and grapefruit zest.

Mouthfeel: Long finish. Flavors linger for a long time. Moderate carbonation on a medium body puts this right where it should be. Oily mouthfeel makes this incredibly smooth and easy to drink.

Overall: If this is an apology beer, I accept Lagunitas' apology. Loads of flavor and another winter IPA that I hope makes it in to regular rotation. If I could lock down a case of this and Celebration every winter, it sure would makes things a lot easier. Let's hope it's not just a one-off.

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Not thinking this one would live up to the hype ... but it did.

Light wheat gold pour, clear, with a 1.5 finger light cream head. Thin rind for retention. Very light lace.

Nose is a big citrus blast of grapefruit. Get light grains in the hops, too, adding to an earthy feel.

Hop bomb on the tongue. Grapefruit up front and in the finish, with a light sour feel just before the bitter end. Maybe a bit of lime sneaks in. A bit of biscuit malt creeps in, also. Alcohol is diabolically well hidden.

Feel is a little on the thin side. Just a bit of syrup up front.

I would love to see this become a year round from them. A very nice surprise in a sea of spiced Christmas ales.

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a pint glass from a 12oz bottle. Thanks to my daughter for picking this up while in OC.

A - Pours a clear golden amber with a two finger white head. Lots of residual lacing the entire time.

S - The nose on this beer is amazing. Hits you from six feet away. Loads of citrus going on here.

T - The taste does not disappoint. Citrus up front with some hints if pine on the finish.

M - A medium bodied beer with light carbonation.

O - A really well done DIPA. Well worth the hunt to track down this beer. A must have from now on.

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%