Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 8,761 | Reviews: 1,414
4.18/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle into a tall tulip

A: Very clear golden/orange color with three fingers of dense white foam. Retention is very good, lacing is incredible.

S: Oranges, lemon, and grapefruit hops upfront. Behind that I get some dank hops. As I keep smelling, the fruity and dank hops become balanced with each other. A bit of sweet caramel behind this, but the malt aroma is minimal.

T: Dank hops are much stronger in the flavor than they were in the aroma. The fruitiness that I got in the aroma is pretty much gone here. Light caramel sweetness balances the hops pretty well. Bitterness is moderate to strong for the style, but by no means overwhelming.

M: Medium to thick mouthfeel with medium carbonation.

O: For someone who isn't much a fan of dank hops, I really enjoyed this. The hops are well balanced by a mild caramel sweetness. This is a great beer.

4.42/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured a pale tangerine-amber with a finger of bright white head. Big hop aroma with pineapple, tangerine, floral notes, and a good dose of caramel sweetness.

Moderate carbonation and a somewhat light mouthfeel. Lots of pineapple, pink grapefruit, and tangerine up front followed by honey, caramel, and a fruity/floral tang on the tail end mixed with mild pine. Not too bitter but bursting with hop flavor. Hardly any alcohol presence noted -- this one drinks easy but packs a lot of flavor.

Appearance:
The beer itself is a clear and pale gold while the head is white and foamy. The head dissipates fairly quickly but leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

Smell:
The hops have a few different hop notes. The beer smell has a hint of tropical fruits and a little bit of a grapefruit nose mixed with sugary and malty sweetness to balance out the hops. The notes mix very well together and give a very clean nose that smell a little bit like bubblegum.

Taste:
The taste is similar to aroma. The beer has a more tropical taste with sugar, citrus/grapefruit hops, and a little bit of yeast flavor. The taste also appears to have a slight mineral flavor as well.

Mouthfeel:
Heavy bodied with biting carbonation. The feel is sort of right for a DIPA but to me it feels little heavier, and not as crisp as other DIPAs that I've had.

Overall:
A pretty good DIPA and well worth getting. I had seen this beer before but I didn't get until this year. I will definitely be picking up a six-pack of this again.

4.38/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass

A: Nice thick, white head that stays forever with all the carbonation, fine golden color, lots of lacing

S: Pine and citrus hops, pleasant

T: Grapefruit, pine, malts come through a little, hoppy and enjoyable

M: Good carbonation, bitter, a little more resiny/thicker than some IIPA's

O: Well above average, quality Double IPA, I'll probably go see if I can get another sixer to share some

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

4.39/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle. Pours a semi translucent light amber color with a thin ring of head. Some lacing. Smells wonderful. Tropical fruits. Pineapple,mango, orange and some others. Taste is hoppy with the tropical fruits again. Definitely can tell this is a Lagunitas beer. Bitter orange near the end. Somewhat oily. Certainly one of the lightest Dipas I've had but I can't really hold that against it. Easy to drink, hoppy and tasty. Overall, I need more of this.

4.18/5  rDev -3.9%

Don't think it's as epic as the numerous threads over the last month or so have stated, but a damn good dipa.

Unusually creamy mouthfeel (probably the wheat in the grain bill) with a firm carbonation and hint of slickness from all those dank hops.

Aroma is straight up floral and citrus hops.
Taste mimics the nose but with a distinct earthy/grassy hop finish with a balanced bitterness.

Overall; pretty sure the 6er I just bought won't last long and wish I would have been stateside to try it fresher/be able to purchase more.

Looking forward to the "leftovers" release at the start of the new year!

4.37/5  rDev +0.5%

Enjoyed on-tap @ the International Tap House in Chesterfield, MO during the Black Friday "iTap Style" Event for $5. Tapped from the White Tap Handle that has a Santa Claus Blown up looking like a Star & "Sucks HOLIDAY ALE" above him into a 12oz Boulevard SmokeStack Series Tulip Glass.

Aroma- Has the freshest and most unbelievable piney and citrus infused hop aroma possible! Very sweet background also but this hop aroma couldn't get any better!

Appearance- Received with a 1 finger head that has average retention time. Has a nice orange colored body that has very good clarity. Leaves thick lacing behind.

Flavor- Has a fantastic hop flavor that is pure citrus and a bit of pine. There is a medium hop bitterness that is well blended with sweetness. Has a very clean finish to it.

Mouthfeel- Medium Bodied, Medium-High Carbonation, Smooth, and has a great citrus all the way through. Not much hop is left on the palate but not a problem.

Overall Impression- A top A-IPA I've had in a long while! The hop aroma was so great, I could order this brew and just promote it on the basis of the aroma! The taste and mouthfeel were fantastic too with its big time citrus flavors. Enjoyed greatly and ready to have again!

4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

12oz bottle into a tulip pours a crystal-clear, golden color w/ minimal white head, lazy carbonation.

Aroma is delicious tropical juicy citrus hops. How is this not an IPA?

Taste is grassy, piney, citrusy - classic Lagunitas super-dry-hopped deliciousness. Again, how is this not an IPA? Clean pale malt, bright West Coast hoppiness. Delicious, refreshing.

Overall this is up there with Hop Stoopid and Little Sumpin' Sumpin' as one of my favorite Lagunitas beers. They do not suck. Outstanding.

4.12/5  rDev -5.3%

Appearance: Clear gold, good head.

Smell: Big citrus aroma.

Taste: Nice hoppy flavor. Does have a solid bready base before sweet grapefruit hops and a bitter finish. Not too bitter though.

Drinkability: Hits the spot for hops cravings and great Lagunitas pricing.

Picked up a 6er to try and was pretty impressed. I like Lagunitas in that they use a lot of hops and their prices are low. This one fits the bill, it's not mind-blowing but it's a nice DIPA on the lighter side of the style and has some pretty good balance.

4.32/5  rDev -0.7%

Served in a La Chouffe tulip.

A- Pours a light caramel color, with 2 finger white head that leaves a thin ring around the glass. Some lacing remains on glass.

S- Sweet, sweet malt. Honey, pineapple, grapefruit

T- Sweet caramel malt, honey, tons of sweet citrus in here! Has a nice citrus bitterness at the finish.

M- Medium body, medium carbonation with a slight dry finish from the bitterness.

O- Amazing beer! I'm not one to compare beers usually, but the first smell and taste of this beer I immediately thought....Hopslam! Lagunitas better make this at least a yearly release or their a retard.

4.57/5  rDev +5.1%

Very clear amber colored pour, lots of bubbles, durable head. The looks remind me of Sierra Nevada Celebration, and that's a very good start. The smell was highly potent out of the glass at an arm's length. Very citric hops with a touch of pear, and the intensity is great. I could just smell this beer for a while. The taste another hop assault, as the grapefruit, tangerine, and bitter orange flavors just hit all at once. The malt is not much of a presence here except providing some sticky sweetness. Medium dense and creamy feeling in the mouth. This was a very well crafted DIPA. There is of course no substitute for Brown Shugga, but I hope they keep this one around too. Otherwise they would really suck :)

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company