Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

pDev: 25%
Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,496 | Hads: 9,643
4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

It's been too long since I've had a Lagunitas beer. That should be added to one of the Deadly Sins. I was wondering why I hadn't seen any Brown Shugga around but then I saw via Twitter that Lagunitas wouldn't be making any. Just read the bottom of the packaging if you want to know the whole story. But you know what? I'm almost glad because it means I get to drink a new Lagunitas beer!

Poured out, this sucky beer forms a white a foamy head that goes away pretty quickly. A slight white film remains on top throughout drinking and some nice lacing is left. The beer is clear and golden.

Oh, the smell. This smells...great. It's just so damn hoppy. Citrus, tropical fruits, pine resin. It smells like you've walked into a field of hops. It has a wild grassy aroma. Sweetness comes in the aroma of white sugar. Oh, I'm sorry, white Shugga. It's hard to describe just how good this smells. Hops^999 but not off-putting. It's like sticking your nose into a flower. Good thing hops are flowers. :P This is one of those beers that when you drink it your stomach starts rumbling. Hoppy, citrusy, and sweet.

The taste is intensely hoppy but isn't overly bitter. It is pretty bitter but the pine resin, tropical citrus, and satisfying sweetness brings in a delicious balance. The more it warms the more the grassy, grainy malts come in. They aren't too prominent but they help make the beer balance out more. This is definitely a beer that hop lovers will, well, love but it's balanced enough so that most will enjoy.

This beer is very drinkable despite its intense hoppiness and even though it has a relatively high ABV you can't tell at all. Sweetness makes it a bit sticky but a nice medium carbonation keeps it alive. It's a medium-light body.

You know, I like this so much that I really don't mind having the Brown Shugga this year.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

12 oz bottle, 7.85% abv. Clear, golden color. Great white, rocky head. Excellent retention. Some nice patches of sticky lace after a while. Good looking beer.

Big, juicy hop aroma. Tropical fruits, citrus and a bit of piney hops. Lighter malt character in the nose, but this is clearly all about hops here.

Lighter malt, but there is a substantial amount. Just a bit of sweetness. Big blast of hop bitterness. Lots of tropical fruit, citrus and pine. Very juicy hop flavors.

Medium body, nice carbonation. Alcohol is hidden pretty well. Great hop combinations here. Very well done.

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

A - Golden colored beer, touch of red or brown in there. Nice white head that left a lot of soapy lace on the sides of the glass.

S - It smells like an IPA with some good fruity and slightly amonious hops. Nice bright fruit, touch of what seems to be Christmas spice.

T - Quite nice. There's some tropical fruit, mild grapefruit, bit of pine, and some spice in there. Nicely sweet, with some caramel malts. Pleasant tasting and went down easy.

M - Lighter side of medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O - Good beer, really enjoyed this one quite a bit with my lunch. Would gladly drink this one again. A good beer by a brewery that I think, well, sucks.

3.65/5  rDev -15.5%

Appearance: (4.0)
- Nice golden yellow and slightly orange pour, yielded a couple fingers of foamy white head.. settled to a fluffy ring and some scattered traces. Rather clear brew.

Smell: (4.0)
- Massive citrus hops.. just massive. I don't think I have ever smelled such a hoppy beer. Lots of sweet grains going on here, some breadiness.. but overall just a sucker punch to the face of grapefruit, pine, lemon zest, and sticky dank hops.

Taste: (3.5)
- Sweet brew. Sugars, caramel grain, and tons of herbal grassy bitter hops with a smooth citrus zesty hoppy punch as well. The sugars, bitter hops, and aroma hops all play very well together to create this hop tea of a beer. I like the bitterness, but like with most Lagunitas beers for me.. a bit over the top sweet. Nice to grab though if craving a mega hop bomb.

Mouth Feel: (3.5)
- Slightly sticky, certainly chewy and resinous brew. Medium to light bodied, but just sweet and all the characters of sweet. Good bitter drying touch to it. Well carbonated.

Overall: (3.5)
- Hops. Hops. More hops. This is just a sweet hoppy monster of a beer. I wonder if they just took Hop Stoopid, and dry-hopped the living hell out of it some more. In fact, I think that is just what they did. Certainly seems like it was brewed with some candy sugars or something much the same. A solid hop monster, and more a novelty beer for me. Hard to drink more than 1.

4.59/5  rDev +6.2%

Apparently, the brewery didn’t have the capacity to make Brown Shugga this year and made this instead. After drinking Lagunitas Sucks, I can honestly say that I wouldn’t care if they never made Brown Shugga again.

I typically don’t like reviewing IPAs due to the fact that almost every IPA review comes out exactly the same and usually sound something like this – “Hops hops hops, bitterness, bitterness blah blah blah”. I made an exception for this one because I was so pleasantly surprised that I felt it was worth mentioning.

I drank this from my Bruery tulip glass. It poured a dark auburn color with a healthy head. The head lingered for a few minutes and left a decent amount of lacing along the top of the glass. From the looks of it, I could already tell this was going to be good.

The smell was incredible. I think that the only beer I could accurately compare the smell with is Bell’s Hop Slam. It reeked of citrus, pineapple, other tropical fruits and maybe a slight bit of honey. This smell lingered for a while until it warmed and the hops married with the malt and alcohol. The alcohol wasn’t very apparent, but more like a visitor in the background.

The taste was much like it smelt. The beer had a bitterness that started in sides of my tongue, traveled to the back, and then exploded with pineapple and tropical fruit. There was bitterness, but not tongue-numbing bitterness. Lagunitas Sucks doesn’t have the ultra-dry finish which their regular release IPA has, which is definitely a good thing to me. This is a very drinkable beer and I wish that I had purchased a case because I was thirsty for more.

Lagunitas really scored a home run on this one. I’m not sure if they’re going to be making this part of their yearly line up, but I really hope that they do. Otherwise, I guess we can hope that they start to make this their new holiday release, and we’ll all have something to look forward to every year.

3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

On-tap 12/4/2011 at Pour Farm in New Bedford, MA served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright gold color with a thin off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick on the glass.

S: The aroma contains piney hops, light caramelized malts and some citrus.

T: The taste starts out with a strong grassy hops bitterness followed by sweet flavors of citrus and caramel. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and brings some balance. The after-taste is hoppy and slightly sweet. Even for a hop-head like myself, this beer needs to sit for a few minutes to take some of the hop edge off.

M: Very crisp but not too smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down very easy, not too filling, good kick, good representation of style, it’s a solid IPA but there are better beers in the style.

4.56/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into pint glass

A: Transparent, very pale golden color with a small puffy white head that recedes kind of quick, leaving bits of sticky lacing.

S: Holy hops! STRONG citrus and pine hop aroma, sweet and fruity, not very bitter smelling. Just resiny hop nectar.

T: Follows the nose, tropical fruit and citrus hops dominate, followed by piney flavors. Pine, mango, and grapefruit mixing in beautiful hop harmony. Finishes a little bitter, with not much of a malt to back it up, and I don't care.

M: Light bodied, medium and crisp carbonation. Super drinkable.

O: This beer gives me a rock-solid.

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

From the hilariously labeled bottle into a standard pint glass results in a pretty slightly hazed dark yellow body topped with a half inch head that recedes fairly quickly into a thin cap that leaves lots of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass, nice.
Aroma is outstanding, pungent mango, kiwi, pineapple, all of them extremely bright and fresh,,, wow, just superb.
Taste compliments the aroma nicely, bitterness is upfront with a grapefruit rind astringency.the malt sweetness is just enough to keep things from going too bitter, but just that. Nothing shy about this beer, it's in your face bold and delicious.
While the flavors and aroma yell out DIPA in the vein of Pliny the Elder, it's just a tad thinner.
What an astoundingly good beer, If this is suckage then I'm all for it all the time, Bravo.
Edit review of on Tap at the Brewery.
Over the top excellent, Plus one in every category.

3.97/5  rDev -8.1%

A little less than 1 finger white creamy head. Doesn't stick around very long. Little lacing. The beer is a nice clear golden yellow color.

The aroma is of bright tropical fruits, lots of citrus, and piney notes, almost resiny. A bit of bitterness to the smell also. Not amazing for an IPA, but certainly a good aroma.

Taste is much the same as my last statement. Juicy, sweet grapefruit and tangerine, sweet and bitter citrus notes, some piney and floral hints, substantial bitterness, and a bit of malt/bready notes on the far back end. Again, good but not great for a Double IPA.

Mouthfeel is nice for a DIPA. Consistency is creamy, carbonation is moderate, the body is medium bordering on medium-full, and the finish on the lighter side and a touch dry.

Overall this is a good DIPA, but nothing I'd consider spectacular. I almost feel like I'd rather have some Hop Stoopid, but can't be sure since I haven't had the two side by side. Regardless, another quality offering from a brewery that really "sucks."

4.24/5  rDev -1.9%

Got this 12 oz. bottle on a tip from the guys at Pinocchios. Poured (into a New Belgium tulip glass) an only slightly-cloudy, golden amber with a smallish one-finger head which dissipated quickly. While there was lacing, it was thin. The nose of this beer was amazing - grapefruit, orange, mango, and pineapple and pine. The taste is just about as good. It hits hard at first with the hop and citrus you would expect, follows with some biscuity malt and ends with a pleasant dry bitterness. Wow. Mouthfeel was medium and mildly carbonated. This was a great beer! PLEASE convince Lagunitas to keep going with this! And if you are an IPA lover and haven't tried it - do it!

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

Have heard a lot about this beer, and am excited to try it. Lagunitas is already one of my favorite breweries

A - Pours a crystal clear golden straw color, with a decent 1 finger white head. Mild to moderate lacing

S - Great smell on this one. Citrus fruits, mango, pineapple. Nice and inviting.

T - Follows the nose, with a little bit of pine mixed in. Very fruit forward, with some earthy pine bite to balance it off, so I still know I am drinking beer.

M - Nice and smooth, easy drinking, alcohol is well hidden

O - Very good DIPA, very juicy, but perfectly balanced. Hope they continue making this and it does not end up as just a one-off. Definitely lives up to the hype

3.94/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at New World Tavern Plymouth--served into a pint glass

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, high carbonation, gold in color, clear

Smell: starts with a combination of bread, caramel, and citrus hops, then quickly goes to piney hops which prevail through the rest of the beverage.

Taste: caramel, toffee, and slight citrus hops with slight chocolate

Mouthfeel: sweetish start with big time hops coming in the middle that create bitterness that lasts throughout, moderate carbonation, medium-light bodied

Overall: I am a fan of piney hops, so to me this is a nice slow drinker. The hops tend to be in your face as I find with most brews from Lagunitas. I enjoyed this one as a sipper and would certainly pick this up again if I had a hops fix. That said, I do not think that this is the world beater IPA that I have seen discussed. Good yes, but I have had more complex IPAs that I enjoy more.

4.54/5  rDev +5.1%

Brown Shugga is one of my favorites from lagunitas so I expect a lot from its replacement

A: Poured into a pint glass its golden and effervescent with a beautiful head and nice lacing

S: Exactly what I want from a DIPA citrusy mangos and piny

T: Hoppy but not as over the top as some west coast IPAs with a nice malt backbone so its not overpowered by the bitterness citrus notes are great

O: A great beer not your typical winter seasonal but delicious this deserves to get a year round release! makes up for no brown shugga this year you guys don't suck Lagunitas

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

On tap at Stub & Herb's

Clear and almost sparkly amber colored with a small but creamy head. Good retention and lacing. Looks appealing.

Extremely fruity aroma, not exactly my kind, but very very good. I wished it was more dank, but damn! this is very tropical (& good)!

The taste follows the aroma --- tastes more like fruit juice than a DIPA. The malty sweetness gels very very well with the hops. The light body and the right carbonation work wonders; this is truly a great beer.

I thought it would be all hype & fanboy reactions but I was very wrong. With Little Sumpin' Wild and now this, Lagunitas is killing it.

My only complaint is the ABV. Lagunitas is a little too much of a bang for the buck at times.

4.48/5  rDev +3.7%

A- I don't know if I screwed up the pour but it is a fizzy yellow with almost no head and no lace. Maybe this beer won't be all it's cracked up to be...

S- whoa, never mind! Honestly this is one of the best smelling beers I've ever smelled. So much bright citrus- lemon and grapefruit- and resiny pine. It's also very tropical, with mangos as a strong part of this aroma.

t- like the nose, this is a hoppy, citrusy, piney, tropical beer. It is an absolute punch of flavor and for it's availibility this is an elite DIPA.

O- I love Lagunitas for making this beer, for the way this beer happened, and for the name they gave it. A reflection of great attitudes and great brewing abilities.

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle.

Pours a light, clear golden orange with a fluffy white head that leaves really nice lacing.

Aroma is pungent and in a good way. Tons of juicy citrus with pineapple and grapefruit leading the way. There is some pine resin but much less than the tap version which smelled like an evergreen forest.

Taste is not quite as big on the citrus with a little less grapefruit and a little more floral hops. The finish definitely has some pine and a sticky resinous bitterness that lingers on the palate. The taste also has a bigger bready malt backbone than the aroma.

The mouthfeel is excellent, medium bodied, strong carbonation and really sticky through the finish.

This is undoubtedly one of the best things I've had from Lagunitas. I'm not sure why they're never put something like this out before as it is better than any other IPA they've produced. Excellent beer.

3.3/5  rDev -23.6%

To my surprise, I saw this being stocked at a local grocery store, so I decided to see what the hype is all about.

It looked and smelled good. I can smell the pine and the hops coming alive. The color was pretty good, with orange/amber hue to the body. What else? Let's move on.

Taste was bland for an IPA. I'm not sure how old this six-packer I got was, but I figured it must be relatively new as I didn't see this beer a week ago at the same location.

I can taste that it's an IPA, but it lacked the oomph that you expect out of a fresh IPA. I had expected the flavors to be a bit stronger. The hops is certainly there, and the malts are there as well to balance it out. Wait, did they really use malts?

Overall, it's okay, but I'm unimpressed. I don't know what to think, and whether it's an actual good sample of the beer? That remains to be seen.

4.26/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Clear gold with a smaller white head. A fairly nice lacing.

S: Grapefruit, a bit of floral and pine hops as well as some sweetness as well. A tiny bit of cattiness.

T: Lots of juicy, resinous, grapefruit hops, as well as lemon and a bit of carmel maltiness as well. Bitter grapefruit hops with some alcohol in the finish.

M: Medium to lighter body. Pretty average carbonation and mouthfeel.

O: Very good. I wish I could of had this a bit fresher, since I think the hops might of faded a bit. Drinks fairly well, nice and smooth hop profile that doesn't have a super bitter bite.

Update on 12/16/13 (updated score). Drinking one today that was bottled on December 6th. Really good, nice tropical, fruity hop profile. Very smooth.

4.17/5  rDev -3.5%

I picked this beer up at the Kirkwood Spec's a couple days ago and laughed out load when I read the label as it is a testament to the goofy TABC laws and that they had to get this new label pushed through in addition to sucking up the lack of time. I can definitely relate to the lack of time, fella's, so let's give this one a shot:

Appearance: Pours a light yellow with a mild orangish tint to it that has a small 1/4" head of active white bubbles after a pretty aggressive pour and then they faded back into the beer within 20-30 seconds. There is no lacing left after drinking, so there isn't much to set this beer apart except that it is pretty clear.

Aroma: The aroma is showcasing mostly American hops with the required citrus, but there is also a pretty defined "catty" aspect to them. There are also some buttery and toasty malts in here to round things out. The hops are running this beer, but the blend is good, so it isn't a detractor so far.

Taste: The flavor is also very hoppy, but there is definitely enough malt in here to keep the beer palatable. One thing that I like about this beer in the flavor is that there is enough going on in the water chemistry to support a beer like this. I know that there are some "stoopidly" hoppy beers to come out of California, but this is one of the ones that works the best with the water to not make it harsh in the finish The mouthfeel is medium to slightly full because there is light carbonation for what it could be. Overall the finish is balanced slightly toward the hops, but there is significant malt in there to keep things in check.

Opinion: This is a good beer, no doubt. The balance is boldly hoppy enough and yet balanced enough to make me think that this is an altered version of their very successful Hop Stoopid. I like that Lagunitas seems to have a grasp of how to make a balanced beer, and it seems that only Great Divide is one of the other breweries that showcase hops, yet can still make a palatable beer. I am not saying the typical "hop bombs" suck, but it is good to get one that has some balance in the finish. This is a good beer overall, and I would recommend it whether you like DIPA's or not as this is a well blended brew.

4.06/5  rDev -6%

Source/Serving: 12 oz bottle

S: Deep, dark floral notes alongside a heap of mango and a touch of pineapple and pine. Moderate honey and brown sugar. Thick and rich hops, quite nice.

T: Slightly sweet tropical fruit mango/pineapple up front with bright floral oiliness. Middle is nicely balanced with a punch of floral/pine bitterness balanced by more mango/lemon/orange/pineapple citrus honey sweetness and tons of floral character…. I can imagine myself licking a tigerlilly, partially because the hops are so thick and pervasive. Clean and smooth though, surprisingly easy drinking. Definitely doesn't come across as a 'heavy' DIPA. Finish is loaded with that deep, dark floral note from the nose riding over a light wave of mango bitterness and golden raisin which doesn't linger long but has a hint of pepper.

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Picked this up kind of by habit, as I am not sure I've ever had a bad Lagunitas beer. Plus it's cool that they say they suck on the label, particularly since they obviously don't. The pour runs more toward golden than copper, which is a little unusual. Head lasts a few minutes before fading. Nose is a flavorful blend of crisp citrus hops with pine backing. Not overpowering but tasty.

The taste is more well balanced than most DIPAs, with mellow toasted and biscuit flavors to match the obvious hops. Lemon rind, a heavier dose of pine, some floral notes; nothing fancy but very well done for what it is. Extremely easy to drink despite sitting on the aftertaste for a while. Too bad this is a one off because this is a good beer, even for Lagunitas.

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

had to see what the hub bub was all about. picked up a 6'er locally.

a - popped a bottle and filled my E snifter. brew poured a transparent yellow orange with a finger full of white frothy head. the head is right out of a beer commercial, spot on with great lacing.

s - strong sitcy and sweaty hops. very nice. some citrus and orange peel, but mostly sweaty piny hops. thick and rich, smells pretty awesome.

t - much like the nose...a really strong and thick hop flavor. very rich and piny...essentially a hop bomb with some cantaloupe.

m - medium bodied...a bit lighter than i had expected. leaves a soft cooling tingle.

o - overall, WOW! this beer can hang with the best of them. if it was year-round, i could see this being THE beer that is always in my fridge. just a great example of a great classic IPA. very impressive indeed.

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

A-pours with maybe 1/4 finger pale white head with a golden amber body that is clear

S-great. Grapefruit, hops, sugar, honey, oranges. Has a warming smell to it. Very inviting.

T-warm yumminess with perfect amount of hops. This is like an ipa and a winter warmer mixed into 1! Citrus flavors of grapefruit, oranges, subtle lemon, then spices that I can't pick out. And there is a wonderful hops flavor throughout. So good. Has a subtle warming flavor in the end that resides in the chest.

M-near perfect. Medium/heavy body with very little carbonation that goes down way too easy for 7.4abv!

O-I think the review speaks for itself. Know I'm upset I only bought a single and not a 6 pack.

3.36/5  rDev -22.2%

Heard a buzz about this stuff, and since some of my favorites of the past year were Lagunitas beers.

A-the head was a light 2 finger head that left some lacing. Bright gold color that seemed low in carbonation.

S-muted but start to catch some resin anf pine notes. A bit of kitty litter

T-very hoppy and no sweetness just that piny flavor that plays over and over

M-oily but crisp, it just hang around, flavor-wise, for a bit too long.

O-glad I only had a 9oz. pour. I don't think I would order this again.

4.49/5  rDev +3.9%

(Mind you, the first bottle cracked from the original six-pack was fresher, fruitier, more bitter, and completely phenomenal; Since then, a case was purchased. This review is from a beer from the case)

Poured from 12oz bottle into a brandy snifter

A: Bright, peachy tangerine color. Ever so slight haze almost not worth mentioning; remarkably clear. Beautiful vivid tone. Simple pour brought about a one finger head. Retention: average. Spotty lacing.

S: Mango nectar, leafy citric hops, pineapple, orange rind, sweet bread.

T: Very bitter bite. Tropical fruit, canteloupe, crackery, bit of a peppery nip on the finish. Lingering bitterness. Pretty unsuspecting. Pleasantly surprised.

M: Good present carbonation. Silky for an IPA; light for a DIPA.

This is one of the many great surprises that I have come across this year. Arguably, one of my favorite of the Lagunitas lineup.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company