Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,443 | Hads: 9,351
4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This one looks nice: a slightly hazy deep golden beer with a thick, pebbly off-white head that lasts and lasts, leaving behind lots of beautifully complex lacing. The nose is a harmonious blend of very strong pine, grapefruit and resin notes and a significant floral character. Upfront, the palate is malty with strong citrus notes, more subdued pine and hints of florals; this all gets washed over and blended with a significant hoppy bitterness on the back end. The finish is very crisp, with nothing but a long-lingering piney bitterness left behind. Goodly carbonation allows the medium body to develop a fairly creamy consistency that joins with the crisp finish to produce a beer that is maybe more drinkable than it should be for the ABV. (745 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a wine glass . Roughly two months old.

LOOK: A clear burnt gold with a finger of bright white head.

SMELL: White grapefruit juice, flowers such as daisy and clover, and ripe peach and pineapples.

TASTE: White grapefruit juice, lemon peel, candied peaches, pineapple, and mango. Sweet, juicy, and delicious. Malt presence is a very light biscuitiness, barely noticeable. Finishes with only a light bitterness. Alcohol is not even slightly detectable for being an 8% abv brew.

FEEL: Medium, but approaching light. Shockingly easy to drink for 8%. Carbonation is moderate.

OVERALL: An excellent double IPA. I wish mine was a little fresher, but this one is definitely worth buying, and often. (734 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Got a single of this brew today, and because i work at this store I am pretty sure it was fresh as can be in this town. I have loved the lagunitas I have had in the past, thus I have high standards for what I EXPECTED. It didn't SUCK, but it is ( I feel ) not to caliber with their other FINE brews :/ (301 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Half pint on-tap at Euston Tap, London:
Another excellent Lagunitas beer, not as hoppy as I'd expected with sweet malts taking the front seat but some did feature & the balance was a good one. The beer proved to be quite an easy one to drink as well, despite the strength. One well worth seeking out if you can find it. (319 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

L: Pours a deep semi transparent golden amber color. Thick creamy white head leaves generous lacing.

S: Big time malts and hops. Floral and biscuity with some evergreen and pine.

T/F: Lots of flavor in this one. Great Lagunitas style hop profile with a mix between floral and evergreen notes. Very strong and rich malt backbone. Biscuits and brown sugar. Strong ABV gives some warmth at the finish. Solid carbonation and goes down smooth.

O: Another big flavor Imperial IPA from Lagunitas. Not significantly better or worse than their other brews and this isn't a bad thing. You can always tell a Lagunitas beer and they always put out a good product. This is no exception. Would absolutely drink this again. (766 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 32oz. bottle.

A: Pours a light gold with two-fingers of white head. Excellent retention as the bubbles build a thin layer of foam that consistently rests atop the brew. Lacing is solid.

S: Citrus, orange, grapefruit, tropical fruits, floral hops, oats, rye, pepper, and biscuit.

T: Orange, grapefruit, lime, mango, earthy and floral hops, rye, and caramel malts. Nice clean bitter finish.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation, smooth with clean crisp bitter finish.

O: Contrary to the name Lagunitas and their brews are actually quite good. This is a very good very drinkable DIPA. I could drink this all day long. I highly recommend this brew to DIPA lovers everywhere. (689 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

June 18, 2015

12 oz bottle, tulip glass

A – Medium amber with some definite golden hues. Very clear. Slightly off-white foam with some larger bubbles, mostly low retention but a small amount of suds sticks around for a while.

S – Grapefruit and citrus, lemon-lime with a squeeze of orange. Some light, spicy papaya notes. Malt is subdued, bready-crackery.

T – Very strong orange/tangerine, with moderate lemon-lime. Low, low grapefruit and tropical fruit, just giving it a bit of a spicy bite. Malt is bready, slightly graham cracker sweet. Bitterness is very high, but so are the hops/malt, so very well balanced.

M – Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, slightly sudsy. Sweet and juicy up front then a dry, bitter finish.

O – Man, I love this IPA. The right blend of sweet and bitter, with tons of hop aroma and flavor. Bold without obliterating the senses. (892 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into IPA glass. Lovely honey color with thick, white head and generous lacing. Citrus, piny smell with some sweetness. Not as strong as many other IPA's. I now understand why so many BA's enjoy this beer: It has the taste attributes of a good IPA but also a bready sweetness with less of a hoppy, bitter aftertaste and only 63 IBU. Nicely carbonated with a pleasant, refreshing mouth feel. At 8% you can't really call this a session IPA but for a malty guy like me this is a very fine beer and one which I'll drink again. (535 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Not what I expected. Thought the beer should've been a bit hoppier. Overall a very well balanced beer. Clean, easy to drink, and an excellent double IPA. (153 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

It was a three and a half week old bottle, so it may have lost something along the way. It was flat, head disappeared in seconds, the aroma and flavor were both very weak. I'll be back to reassess when I can get my hands on a fresher bottle. (241 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle side-pour into a cool nonic - minimal head (my bad) fades quickly. S: clean and sharp, dank hops and orange sugar cookie. T: just like it smells but, instead of the sweet note I was expecting, dry, almost peppery, pleasantly bitter. F: This is where the malt shows up - nice thick body, and I love the understated carbonation. O: Nice, nice job, Lagunitas! (370 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -0.9%

Serving: Bottle, from the bottle
Served: 12 June 2015

Appearance: Had this one at a work event, so I wasn't able to get it in a glass. Artwork, like the overwhelming majority of Lagunitas products, sucks.

Smell: Huge citrus hop notes on the nose, along with an underlying sweetness.

Taste: Wait, this is a DIPA? This is probably, along with Torpedo, the most drinkable DIPA I've ever had. Nice hop flavors on the front of the palate- grapefruit, lemon zest, and mandarin orange especially, and then a nice bitterness on the back end that begs you for another sip. No detectable alcohol flavor and minimal malt presence.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall: One of the most drinkable DIPAs I've ever had. A great beer, and a dangerous one at 7.85%! Highly recommended. (792 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) brew by Lagunitas Brewing Company, with an ABV of 7.85% This brew pours out a golden amber color with a nice white head. I like the color of this brew, it is a filtered brew, you can see though it. The smell of Lagunitas Sucks is rich with hops , grain and malts. You also pick up on a some citrus in the smell of this brew. Now for the taste, it is bitter, but smooth. You pick up on hops at first , but then it is smooth with grains. There is a nice sweetness of citrus at the end of this brew. Lagunitas Brewing Company , did a nice job with one, this brew has a nice balance to it. There is nothing overpowering about this IPA. The mouthfeel is full bodied with hops, grains, but a nice smooth aftertaste. You really can't pick up the 7.85% ABV in the brew. Overall I'm giving Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) a 4.75 out 5. I would buy this brew again. Thank You Lagunitas Brewing Company (960 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

4.25 A: Clear light orange color. Two fingers of creamy off-white head. Retention is good and lots of lacing is left.

4.0 S: The grains mesh to make something quite pleasant - earthy spiciness from the rye, grainy barley, oaty oats, and mild neutral wheat. Seems like there's a lot of rye comparatively, you could comfortably call this a rye brew. Big orange citrusy hops, floral, and spice. Big and powerful. Pretty good.

4.0 T: Tastes like it smells. Tons of earthy spiciness, spicy hops, caramel malts. Again lots of floral and orangy hops. Mild-moderate bitterness. Again, big rye component, which I really enjoy.

3.75 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Pleasantly creamy and super smooth.

4.0 D: Really nice beer. I can see why so many enjoy it. (815 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Usual blah bottle art (actually made worse by some deviation- an ugly red splotch), but the beer itself is great. Mostly clear orange-gold body, only whispers of fine cabronation, off-white head, plenty of nets of lace.

S: Orange, pretty assertive. A melange of tropical fruit, but diminished from the orange.
Pretty dank hops, palatable bitter. Pepper? Great fruity character that isn't perverted by the high ABV.

T: Orange, peach, mango, mild pine in finish. So juicy and fruity it almost comes off as sweet.

M: Not flat, but hardly any hints of carbonation. Juicy and wonderful.

O: Really tasty brew. I love the tropical fruit flavors coming out of the hops rather than pine, and they did it right by having virtually zero malt body to interfere/"balance" it. Now if they could just let the diversity show in the nose more, and hire a damn graphic designer... (869 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I never had the beer this is a substitute for, but if it is better than this I really hope to try it one day! Great beer. I am further editing my review to say that this has become one of my absolute favorites in a long time. the beer definitely has just a little bit of sweetness, but nothing overpowering at all. It's just enough to make this unique. At the same time I bought this beer I managed to obtain a bunch of Pliny the Elders. Though I love Pliny as well Lagunitas kind of spoiled the Pliny experience for me as I found it was the Lagunitas Sucks I kept reaching for. And I can find it easily in my local beer shop which is an added plus. (649 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Had on draft at the Flying Saucer in Fort Worth.

Lightly cloudy golden copper.

Grapefruit and lemons. Simple syrup, pepper.

Sticky sweet, thick. Toasted bread. (165 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this beer's head is two fingers thick with sold lacing, and a clear medium golden body.

Smells like the "cereal medley" mentioned on the packaging, along with a hearty amount of west coast hops in there as well. Very inviting aroma in my opinion.

I taste a very nice reprseentation of each grain discussed. Also, a nice touch of citrus-like hops. This is pulled off just right.

The mouthfeel of "Sucks" is surprisingly clean and crisp.

Overall, I'll give Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company a 4.5 (669 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer. Only complaint was that it gets a little sweet if you have more than two. Definitely prefer the 12 oz to the bucket. Smells great and tastes even better. (171 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I have really enjoyed Sucks in years past but the most recent 6
Pack bottling was not as good. My last bottles didnt have the hoppy fresh nose. Instead, its aroma was pure alcohol. (182 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A sticky and off white head poured from a 12oz bottle. Very hoppy and reminds me of other langunitas beers. Beautifully bitter and very flavorful. The perfect aftertaste i expect from a well craftet ipa and the abv to back it up (although it advertised as a "brown suggs substitute") it taste like an ipa. Langunitas continues to be my favorite crafte of pale ales. An instant classic. (389 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer pours as yellow with a slight haze to it. Nose was fleeting, but it awakened a little as it warmed, giving off a very malty aroma with a slight fruity hop scent. Sweet maltiness on the tongue, bringing flavors of raisins and figs with a toasty caramel aftertaste. The brown sugar comes through more as it warms. There's a hop spice at the back end. It has a smooth medium body with moderate carbonation.

This is the second time I've had this and I enjoy it quite a bit. I don't know if I'd personally consider it a double or imperial IPA, but I'm not sure how else I'd classify it. But sometimes it's better to drink to than to classify (okay, it's ALWAYS better to drink). (686 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Nice hazy amber coloration into a standard pint glass. Wonderful hoppy smells and initial taste that tapers down to a nice malty sweetness. This is, in my opinion, the perfect balance between hops and malts. There's nothing that I can say that hasn't already been said. I always have a bomber or a 6er of this in my beer fridge. (328 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I was not the biggest fan of the Brown Shugga, personal preference as a hop-head, but the Lagunitas Sucks was so highly rated, I had to try it when it came available. Glad I did. Nice earthy East Coast IPA aroma with a well-balanced malt background. This is a very nice beer that I will buy when it is available. (315 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I should have done more research because the label duped the hell out of me. I was thinking along the lines of something dark and sweet (Brown Shugga'ish right) so the golden pour totally caught me off guard. But I must say I was WAY pleasantly surprised. I've only tried a handful of American Double IPA's but what won me over was the smoothness of this one vs the typical hoppy bitterness of the others. At $4.99 a quart, I'm definitely in for more. (456 characters)

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company