Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

pheelingIt, Jan 22, 2014

Kramerbarthomer, Jan 22, 2014
4.73/5  rDev +8.5%

poured into a snifter, it generates a soapy two finger head. Golden, almost tangerine in color. Thick lacing and nice alcohol legs sticking to the side of the glass.

This beer smells like a citrusy storm of tropical fruits. Very Juicy.

This beer tastes like you should go out and buy some right now if you love DIPA's. Wow, grapefruit, pineapple, tangerine up front with softspoken maltiness somewhere in the middle. Very enjoyable bitterness at the end.

Light/medium body with nice carbonation. This beer is dangerously sessionable.

This was my first encounter with Sucks. Sucks, it does not. Looks like this is gonna be a staple in my fridge during this time of year.

ItsMe, Jan 22, 2014

NorCal, Jan 22, 2014

swedishmailman, Jan 22, 2014

batfireman, Jan 22, 2014

SixPints, Jan 22, 2014
4.14/5  rDev -5%

Poured a yellowish, orangelike gold with one finger head that died slow with lace everywhere. Typical Stone aroma of just heavyhanded hops, mostly citric although some grape and even possible tropical get in there (there seems to be some light, airy fruity sweetness poking around). Taste is basically the same with lots of piney, earthiness, citric, some grape and again this tropical fruit sensation (at this point I'd say pineapple, mango, apricot - just a sweeter fruit). Great balance as the small amount of bready malt and possible caramel malt help keep the beer from being too hoppy and it finishes so crisp and clean. A unique DIPA that is well balanced and a must try.

clayrock81, Jan 22, 2014

srogers14, Jan 22, 2014

jroberts8811, Jan 22, 2014

Now this, my friends, is an IPA!!!

Don't know what's better, the aroma or the taste. Either way, perfect 10/10 in my book. This is the juiciest IPA of them all. Aroma, I get tons of tangerine, mango, and loads of pineapple. It smells so damn sweet and a little tangy, super funky attitude on the aroma!! I would wear this as cologne. The taste is... It's like a fruitsnack turned to liquid. Absolutely phenomenal. Not overly sweet, perfect amount of bitter, not much bitter at all with all the complexity of a great IPA. I wish I could have this beer every day. It is a MUST try.

I know you beer snobs look down on those who age IPAs, but I'm going to age this one, along with every other IPA i've had. I'll tell you what, if you love beers, specifically IPAs, you would do the same. Not necessarily because you're looking to improve the beer, but because you are trying to deconstruct it in a way. Remove some of the hops that delightfully highlight the beer, and focus on the underlying tones that supplement those fresh hops. When I tried heady topper with a year of age, it honestly tasted so much better without the distraction of the intense bitterness on a 2 day-old batch. I say, if it has at least 8% abv, age it regardless of what class beer it is.

bball208, Jan 22, 2014

2GOOFY, Jan 22, 2014

Jimbobebop, Jan 22, 2014
4.78/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A- a beautful deep gold with about a half inch white head which turns into a pretty thick lacing that lasts until the last sip.

S- this is one of my favorite smelling beers. Pine with notes of citrus and grapefruit that just explode into your nose.

T- very similar to the smell. Up front orange, grapefruit, lemon, honey and on the back end a crisp hoppiness that sits on the back of your tongue.

M- slightly carbonated with a nice crispness fron the hop.

O- a very delicious beer. One of my favorite IPAs. Up there with dirtwolf and jai alai in my book.

mlhyatt, Jan 22, 2014

Murphious, Jan 21, 2014

Kword55, Jan 21, 2014
4.68/5  rDev +7.3%

Oh man! This is good, best one I've had since Pliny

A. Light golden slightly hazy, two finger head

S. Pineapple, apple, peach, light hop stank

T. It's delicious, hop first, well balanced with fruit, citrus, grapefruit, apple, pine

M. Very smooth, silky, medium carbonation, medium finish

O. Lives up to the hype! Clean, clean, Clean aftertaste, but so much flavor up front!

Or80rowley, Jan 21, 2014