Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,458 | Hads: 9,436
4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Looks gorgeous! Big ol' off-white head sits on a golden opaque body. Smells clean, bright, and hoppy. First sip is bitter, refreshing, and fruity! Sharp/chicory lettuce, grapefruit juice, and oranges are strong in this brew. Malts are hard to find among such big hops, but lean towards baked bread? Almost like beer bread (no shit, right??). Mouthfeel is frothy and carbonated with the lingering off-white head. Slight alcohol numbing towards the end. Overall, Lagunitas embraces their hop-heavy style with Sucks. Great brew for hop heads, but lacks a malt backbone to support such a bitter brew. But what else is new with Imperial IPAs? (637 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - 1 1/2 finger white head. Fades fairly quickly to a ring, leaves awesome lacing. Light gold, nice clarity. Nice looking beer.
S - Citrusy, piney, a little bit of sweet malt. A quintessential IPA aroma, can't find much fault at all.
T - Big fruity hop forward flavor - citrus, melon, maybe a touch of cucumber, pine. Bitterness is moderate. Malt is pretty much absent. Hides the alcohol very well.
F - Dry, medium carbonation.
O - My first time trying this beer...seen many a mention of it but always figured it was more of a gimmick/name than anything. Truly outstanding. (582 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear light copper to golden, finger length head and good creamy lace retention. Worderful citric and tropical fruit aroma, some biscuit and honey. The taste is at first fruity, slightly syrupy and malty sweet. This is followed by a strong hops presence that is piney and leafy. Strong bitter herbal finish. Creamy, smooth, medium bodied and very drinkable.
This beer most definetely does not suck! I liked it a lot. (426 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

Great IPA here. Nice golden Amber pour, very clear. Smells a little piney, with huge tropical fruit and citrus. Has that lagunitas resinous tingle on the nose.

Taste is GREAT! I was expecting lagunitas ipa on steroids, as this is my first SUCKS. Boy, this bad mofo is smooth. You get the nice resinous pine up front, then its followed by a citrusy, juicy, wave of fruity-ish-ness. Probably all the different malts and cereals that give it a nice smooth sweetness to really mellow the pine out. Still has the lagunitas hop tingle I love, but much juicier than I expected.

Overall, I'm a huge fan. This brewski is awesome. Plus, $7 for a 32oz bottle!? Thank you, lagunitas, THANK YOU! (685 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Clear dark gold to orange, minimal foam but great carbonation. Wonderful piney, citrus aroma. A little more hoppy bitter than I normally like but I find myself curiously liking this alot. Must be the "complexishness"! I'll buy more. (232 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a pretty clear, golden color with a full and cloying, frothy head. Good retention here.

Smell has lots of piney hop notes to go along with a pretty notable citrus presence. There is grapefruit, orange, maybe a touch of mango to go along with the resinous floral aroma. Also a bit of noted maltiness on the nose.

Taste is high on bitterness with both fruit sweetness and floral essences along for the ride. There is also just the right malt backbone to this one. Yes, it suits hop-head standards, but it also has just the right body.

Pretty full flavored, moderately carbonated and stinging--hop and alcohol conjoined for the latter, perhaps--on the palate.

This is a damn nice D.I.P.A. Extremely flavorful with just the right mixes--hop and malt; floral and fruitiness. Such a good beer at such a reasonable price (~$7.00 for the 32-oz bottle); this has to be a go-to version of the style. Nice job here. (925 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Four years and still going strong. Here goes:

A: Good. The bear pours a light yellow-orange. The head is moderate, but the beer leaves good lacing. Very little carbonation, though.

S: Lots of tropical fruits in this one. Pineapple, oranges, citrus, and mango. A little bit of cat pee, though.

T: Follows the hoppy nose, except with a healthy helping of sweet caramel malt to alleviate the bitterness. Good mixture of hops and malt.

F: Great mouthfeel despite the limited carbonation. Thick and juicy.

O: A great beer. Maybe a little overrated, but still good nonetheless. (590 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This one looks nice: a slightly hazy deep golden beer with a thick, pebbly off-white head that lasts and lasts, leaving behind lots of beautifully complex lacing. The nose is a harmonious blend of very strong pine, grapefruit and resin notes and a significant floral character. Upfront, the palate is malty with strong citrus notes, more subdued pine and hints of florals; this all gets washed over and blended with a significant hoppy bitterness on the back end. The finish is very crisp, with nothing but a long-lingering piney bitterness left behind. Goodly carbonation allows the medium body to develop a fairly creamy consistency that joins with the crisp finish to produce a beer that is maybe more drinkable than it should be for the ABV. (745 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a wine glass . Roughly two months old.

LOOK: A clear burnt gold with a finger of bright white head.

SMELL: White grapefruit juice, flowers such as daisy and clover, and ripe peach and pineapples.

TASTE: White grapefruit juice, lemon peel, candied peaches, pineapple, and mango. Sweet, juicy, and delicious. Malt presence is a very light biscuitiness, barely noticeable. Finishes with only a light bitterness. Alcohol is not even slightly detectable for being an 8% abv brew.

FEEL: Medium, but approaching light. Shockingly easy to drink for 8%. Carbonation is moderate.

OVERALL: An excellent double IPA. I wish mine was a little fresher, but this one is definitely worth buying, and often. (734 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Got a single of this brew today, and because i work at this store I am pretty sure it was fresh as can be in this town. I have loved the lagunitas I have had in the past, thus I have high standards for what I EXPECTED. It didn't SUCK, but it is ( I feel ) not to caliber with their other FINE brews :/ (301 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Half pint on-tap at Euston Tap, London:
Another excellent Lagunitas beer, not as hoppy as I'd expected with sweet malts taking the front seat but some did feature & the balance was a good one. The beer proved to be quite an easy one to drink as well, despite the strength. One well worth seeking out if you can find it. (319 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

L: Pours a deep semi transparent golden amber color. Thick creamy white head leaves generous lacing.

S: Big time malts and hops. Floral and biscuity with some evergreen and pine.

T/F: Lots of flavor in this one. Great Lagunitas style hop profile with a mix between floral and evergreen notes. Very strong and rich malt backbone. Biscuits and brown sugar. Strong ABV gives some warmth at the finish. Solid carbonation and goes down smooth.

O: Another big flavor Imperial IPA from Lagunitas. Not significantly better or worse than their other brews and this isn't a bad thing. You can always tell a Lagunitas beer and they always put out a good product. This is no exception. Would absolutely drink this again. (766 characters)

4.31/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Gold with big fluffy rocky off-white head. Leaves decent film. Pretty sweet and malty but also pretty fresh and deliciously hoppy without tons of bitterness. A definite repeat! (176 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 32oz. bottle.

A: Pours a light gold with two-fingers of white head. Excellent retention as the bubbles build a thin layer of foam that consistently rests atop the brew. Lacing is solid.

S: Citrus, orange, grapefruit, tropical fruits, floral hops, oats, rye, pepper, and biscuit.

T: Orange, grapefruit, lime, mango, earthy and floral hops, rye, and caramel malts. Nice clean bitter finish.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation, smooth with clean crisp bitter finish.

O: Contrary to the name Lagunitas and their brews are actually quite good. This is a very good very drinkable DIPA. I could drink this all day long. I highly recommend this brew to DIPA lovers everywhere. (689 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

June 18, 2015

12 oz bottle, tulip glass

A – Medium amber with some definite golden hues. Very clear. Slightly off-white foam with some larger bubbles, mostly low retention but a small amount of suds sticks around for a while.

S – Grapefruit and citrus, lemon-lime with a squeeze of orange. Some light, spicy papaya notes. Malt is subdued, bready-crackery.

T – Very strong orange/tangerine, with moderate lemon-lime. Low, low grapefruit and tropical fruit, just giving it a bit of a spicy bite. Malt is bready, slightly graham cracker sweet. Bitterness is very high, but so are the hops/malt, so very well balanced.

M – Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, slightly sudsy. Sweet and juicy up front then a dry, bitter finish.

O – Man, I love this IPA. The right blend of sweet and bitter, with tons of hop aroma and flavor. Bold without obliterating the senses. (892 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into IPA glass. Lovely honey color with thick, white head and generous lacing. Citrus, piny smell with some sweetness. Not as strong as many other IPA's. I now understand why so many BA's enjoy this beer: It has the taste attributes of a good IPA but also a bready sweetness with less of a hoppy, bitter aftertaste and only 63 IBU. Nicely carbonated with a pleasant, refreshing mouth feel. At 8% you can't really call this a session IPA but for a malty guy like me this is a very fine beer and one which I'll drink again. (535 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Not what I expected. Thought the beer should've been a bit hoppier. Overall a very well balanced beer. Clean, easy to drink, and an excellent double IPA. (153 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

It was a three and a half week old bottle, so it may have lost something along the way. It was flat, head disappeared in seconds, the aroma and flavor were both very weak. I'll be back to reassess when I can get my hands on a fresher bottle. (241 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle side-pour into a cool nonic - minimal head (my bad) fades quickly. S: clean and sharp, dank hops and orange sugar cookie. T: just like it smells but, instead of the sweet note I was expecting, dry, almost peppery, pleasantly bitter. F: This is where the malt shows up - nice thick body, and I love the understated carbonation. O: Nice, nice job, Lagunitas! (370 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -0.9%

Serving: Bottle, from the bottle
Served: 12 June 2015

Appearance: Had this one at a work event, so I wasn't able to get it in a glass. Artwork, like the overwhelming majority of Lagunitas products, sucks.

Smell: Huge citrus hop notes on the nose, along with an underlying sweetness.

Taste: Wait, this is a DIPA? This is probably, along with Torpedo, the most drinkable DIPA I've ever had. Nice hop flavors on the front of the palate- grapefruit, lemon zest, and mandarin orange especially, and then a nice bitterness on the back end that begs you for another sip. No detectable alcohol flavor and minimal malt presence.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall: One of the most drinkable DIPAs I've ever had. A great beer, and a dangerous one at 7.85%! Highly recommended. (792 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) brew by Lagunitas Brewing Company, with an ABV of 7.85% This brew pours out a golden amber color with a nice white head. I like the color of this brew, it is a filtered brew, you can see though it. The smell of Lagunitas Sucks is rich with hops , grain and malts. You also pick up on a some citrus in the smell of this brew. Now for the taste, it is bitter, but smooth. You pick up on hops at first , but then it is smooth with grains. There is a nice sweetness of citrus at the end of this brew. Lagunitas Brewing Company , did a nice job with one, this brew has a nice balance to it. There is nothing overpowering about this IPA. The mouthfeel is full bodied with hops, grains, but a nice smooth aftertaste. You really can't pick up the 7.85% ABV in the brew. Overall I'm giving Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) a 4.75 out 5. I would buy this brew again. Thank You Lagunitas Brewing Company (960 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

4.25 A: Clear light orange color. Two fingers of creamy off-white head. Retention is good and lots of lacing is left.

4.0 S: The grains mesh to make something quite pleasant - earthy spiciness from the rye, grainy barley, oaty oats, and mild neutral wheat. Seems like there's a lot of rye comparatively, you could comfortably call this a rye brew. Big orange citrusy hops, floral, and spice. Big and powerful. Pretty good.

4.0 T: Tastes like it smells. Tons of earthy spiciness, spicy hops, caramel malts. Again lots of floral and orangy hops. Mild-moderate bitterness. Again, big rye component, which I really enjoy.

3.75 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Pleasantly creamy and super smooth.

4.0 D: Really nice beer. I can see why so many enjoy it. (815 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Usual blah bottle art (actually made worse by some deviation- an ugly red splotch), but the beer itself is great. Mostly clear orange-gold body, only whispers of fine cabronation, off-white head, plenty of nets of lace.

S: Orange, pretty assertive. A melange of tropical fruit, but diminished from the orange.
Pretty dank hops, palatable bitter. Pepper? Great fruity character that isn't perverted by the high ABV.

T: Orange, peach, mango, mild pine in finish. So juicy and fruity it almost comes off as sweet.

M: Not flat, but hardly any hints of carbonation. Juicy and wonderful.

O: Really tasty brew. I love the tropical fruit flavors coming out of the hops rather than pine, and they did it right by having virtually zero malt body to interfere/"balance" it. Now if they could just let the diversity show in the nose more, and hire a damn graphic designer... (869 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I never had the beer this is a substitute for, but if it is better than this I really hope to try it one day! Great beer. I am further editing my review to say that this has become one of my absolute favorites in a long time. the beer definitely has just a little bit of sweetness, but nothing overpowering at all. It's just enough to make this unique. At the same time I bought this beer I managed to obtain a bunch of Pliny the Elders. Though I love Pliny as well Lagunitas kind of spoiled the Pliny experience for me as I found it was the Lagunitas Sucks I kept reaching for. And I can find it easily in my local beer shop which is an added plus. (649 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Had on draft at the Flying Saucer in Fort Worth.

Lightly cloudy golden copper.

Grapefruit and lemons. Simple syrup, pepper.

Sticky sweet, thick. Toasted bread. (165 characters)

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company