Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,208 | Reviews: 1,517
4.79/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer. Only complaint was that it gets a little sweet if you have more than two. Definitely prefer the 12 oz to the bucket. Smells great and tastes even better.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a IPA lovers IPA

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

WOW! This is amazing. I was not ready for the perfection I was holding. "We're not worthy!"

3.57/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I have really enjoyed Sucks in years past but the most recent 6
Pack bottling was not as good. My last bottles didnt have the hoppy fresh nose. Instead, its aroma was pure alcohol.

4.31/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Oh man, the mouthfeel is amazing. So creamy and delicious with a slight sharpness from the rye. One of my new favorite beers.

4.34/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

stood up tremendously to an unusually rich & spicy (but delicious) octopus dish, but would be great on its own as well.

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A sticky and off white head poured from a 12oz bottle. Very hoppy and reminds me of other langunitas beers. Beautifully bitter and very flavorful. The perfect aftertaste i expect from a well craftet ipa and the abv to back it up (although it advertised as a "brown suggs substitute") it taste like an ipa. Langunitas continues to be my favorite crafte of pale ales. An instant classic.

4.41/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer pours as yellow with a slight haze to it. Nose was fleeting, but it awakened a little as it warmed, giving off a very malty aroma with a slight fruity hop scent. Sweet maltiness on the tongue, bringing flavors of raisins and figs with a toasty caramel aftertaste. The brown sugar comes through more as it warms. There's a hop spice at the back end. It has a smooth medium body with moderate carbonation.

This is the second time I've had this and I enjoy it quite a bit. I don't know if I'd personally consider it a double or imperial IPA, but I'm not sure how else I'd classify it. But sometimes it's better to drink to than to classify (okay, it's ALWAYS better to drink).

4.56/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Amazing juicy citrusy piney ale

4.34/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wow! This tastes like skunk weed and in a good way.

4.88/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Nice hazy amber coloration into a standard pint glass. Wonderful hoppy smells and initial taste that tapers down to a nice malty sweetness. This is, in my opinion, the perfect balance between hops and malts. There's nothing that I can say that hasn't already been said. I always have a bomber or a 6er of this in my beer fridge.

4.21/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I was not the biggest fan of the Brown Shugga, personal preference as a hop-head, but the Lagunitas Sucks was so highly rated, I had to try it when it came available. Glad I did. Nice earthy East Coast IPA aroma with a well-balanced malt background. This is a very nice beer that I will buy when it is available.

4.29/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I should have done more research because the label duped the hell out of me. I was thinking along the lines of something dark and sweet (Brown Shugga'ish right) so the golden pour totally caught me off guard. But I must say I was WAY pleasantly surprised. I've only tried a handful of American Double IPA's but what won me over was the smoothness of this one vs the typical hoppy bitterness of the others. At $4.99 a quart, I'm definitely in for more.

4.79/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance: Clear dark gold with a smooth white head.

Smell: YES! Very aromatic juicy hops.

Taste: Strong hop bitterness up front, fruity, citric, black tea. Into a somewhat sweet malt backbone, a bit spicy, lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Middle of the road. Suits everything else.

Overall: Blew me away. If you want a very aromatic DIPA, try it!

4.74/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Huge hop character - dank, fruity, garlic/onion, pine, flowery, pretty much every character you can get from a hop. Then the complexity from the malts just blows it out of the water. You taste something new with every sip. I'll be stocking up on this one when I can get it fresh, glad it's become a year round beer!

4.56/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sweet and rich with a pale gold color.

Loving the flavor of this.

4.46/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Really amazing nose with nice frothy head and lacing. Nice balanced taste with minimal bitterness.

3.9/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

I used to think you were cool.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

L: Pours brilliant amber underneath a 1.5” clingy white foam collar
S: Spicy, herbal hop aromas with hints of pine.
T: Rounded yet assertive hops spice a firm malt backbone. Nothing harsh.
F: Medium body and carbonation.
O: A big, bold easy to drink beer.

4.09/5  rDev -5.8%

ok but not my favorate

3.87/5  rDev -10.8%

I have not had BS. I enjoyed this, liked the subtle sweet long lingering aftertaste but I was not as impressed by the main taste as most seem to be. Good beer though.

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very strong beer from lagunitas despite the fyck up. I was not sold on the smell but the heady amber pour was promising. Great taste, drinkable and powerful. I hope they bring this back even once they correct their mistake!

Lagunitas has quickly become my go to brewery. Beers like this are the reason why.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

DATE TASTED: May 20, 2015... GLASSWARE: Victory Hop Devil nonick... OCCASION: Watching the Cavs try to steal a second straight in Atlanta--and relaxing after the end of baseball season, for good... APPEARANCE: Bright, pilsneresque body that releases tiny bubbles; the head is a monstrous white pillow that pitches a hedgerow of lacing; as the glass drains, excellent up-and-down lacing ... AROMA: thick wafts of sugary resin, pineapple, mango and other "strong" scents; not as much of the four grains available... PALATE: a mellow, moderately weighted body with a soft, balanced aftertaste--as easy-drinking as an 8% ABV will be...TASTE: a beautiful balance of a four-grain drag and a bevy of hops; a rather ridiculously good tasting "alternative" to the original, which I did not get a chance to sample; the resin is sharp, the pineapple palpable, the hops teeth-tethering--in a word, a full-flavored experienced that warms as it sips... OVERALL: ah, Lagunitas--thank God you have made the nationwide market a goal; grabbed a quart for $6.99 at Hope Liquors, and this beer is a perfect compliment to the night; hearty, flavorful and easy-drinking...any other aspect needed?

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Heavy hitter ale--sweet malty and potent.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company