Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

appearance; light amber, lots of carbonation, two fingers of off white, sticky head that retains well.

smell; tons of mango, with additional pineapple, grapefruit, and a hint of pine-like grassiness.

tatse; like the smell, but with heavier emphasis on the hop flavors of citrus and pine, the mango is there along with hints of pineapple, followed by strong notes of citirus and piney bitterness.

mouthfeel; light body, slightly crisp, carbonation is strong but not overpoweringly so.

overall; my scoring says it all, to me this is an IPA, so i don't really get how its connected to brown shugga, but with the strong fruit which is so beautifully balanced by hops, this beer is very drinkable, satisfying but not strong, and an overall wonderful experience without making you feel weighed down.

SteveB24, Jan 01, 2014

get_bentley, Jan 01, 2014
4.26/5  rDev -2.3%

A - Beautiful color. Love the look of the carbonation and head/lacing.

S - Sweet smelling with a hint of alcohol. Think I might notice something citrusy

T - Full flavored, and nicely balanced.

M - Love the mouth feel.

O - Another great tasting beer from Lagunitas!

Great play on a beer that seems to have a balanced sweet note with the malt and hops. Think it's an easy drinking beer that goes down easily. Big fan!

J03, Jan 01, 2014

s_wit, Jan 01, 2014
4.19/5  rDev -3.9%

A - Pours a beautiful light coppery yellow.

S - Hop forward, pine, citrus, a little bready, little bit of alcohol.

T - Sweeter than I expected. Again, a little bready, pretty hoppy but not crazy. Sweet pine, citrus, very similar to smell.

M - Pretty carbonated. A little on the thin side. Not heavy at all.

O - A really good DIPA. Alcohol is hidden nicely. Bready pine and citrus. Hard to explain the sweetness but I like it. Not malty but more like freshly baked bread. Very nice.

Cheers!

kwc017, Jan 01, 2014

Mattmchoes, Jan 01, 2014

mtpHokie, Jan 01, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

Alex_Graz, Jan 01, 2014

Erice78, Jan 01, 2014
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

I was skeptical, but i'm sold. This is damn good. The smell is a little weak, nothing pronounced or obvious, subtle hints of fruit maybe a touch of juniper, thankfully no spice. Taste is solid, easy-to-drink double-ish goodness. Can't put a finger on what it reminds me of? Color is surprisingly light, almost domestic-lager kind-of-light. I've heard this is going year round, if so i'm in. Lagunitas has never had a daily-drinker for me, but this is just what i needed. Cheers.

mjstacker, Dec 31, 2013
3.54/5  rDev -18.8%

A- Clear amber body. Poured a thick, creamy 2 finger head. Nice, sticky lacing.
S- Big mango, I think... Topical fruit, grapefruit, pine, caramel, bread, and a pretty big earthy grassiness.
T- Not what I was expecting at all. Light citrus up front followed by pine that shifts into blandish grassy, bread-like bitterness. Grapefruit and rind aftertaste.
M- Very light on the tongue. More slick than creamy. Mildly drying.
O- I'm always guarded when I drink something with a lot of hype. Even so, this threw me for a loop. Its a pretty good beer, but its lighter on the tongue, and in flavor, than most IPAs I can get at my local grocery store. I'll finish off my 32 ounces, but I'm pretty sure I won't be in a hurry to have this again anythime soon.

tmm313, Dec 31, 2013

alexanf, Dec 31, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

LanePerson, Dec 31, 2013

belljt33, Dec 31, 2013

anticipation23, Dec 31, 2013

jrand2621, Dec 31, 2013
4.48/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a clean light strawberry blonde with fluffy white head

Nose- herbal hop spices, citrus rind/oil, juicy guava and candied mango, very effervescent

Taste- follows with big floral presence. fresh grapefruit, light tangerine, guava, zesty hop spice, burnt sugar and mango- candy-like- finishes a bit herbal hop bite with more candied tropical fruit

Feel- crisp, clean, a bit sticky, floral, drinkable, smooth

Great beer. Reminds me of Odell IPA. Very effervescent, like hop candy

evanforbeer, Dec 31, 2013

4Socialanxiety, Dec 31, 2013

jkball01, Dec 31, 2013

dave10mm, Dec 31, 2013
4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

A: (poured into a tall pilsner glass) light-orange with a huge white head. Not sure if it's because of the pilsner glass or not. Lacing is retained.

S: Lemon, pineapple, grass, zest, and hops. Very nice aroma actually.

T: I was not an IPA fan, as stated in some of my other reviews, but this is a fantastic beer. It's not overly hoppy and doesn't assault you with sticky malts either. It has hop resin, pine, grass, lemon, pineapple, brown sugar, sweet fruit, grapefruit, and orange peel in it.

M: Like I like my IPA's- with a lighter body (not too light, though). Just my opinion. And this nails it!

O: Very good brew. This beer has changed my perspective on the IPA style. It seems as though Lagunitas stepped up their game on this one and made a very refreshing, well-balanced, tasty IPA.

titty_mcbitty, Dec 31, 2013

core42, Dec 31, 2013
4.49/5  rDev +3%

Clear gold color, white sticky head. Lace is patchy and stringy. Has that oily hoppy look to it. Aroma is loaded with stinky, dank, fruit. Sweet sugar cookies, mouth watering citrus, pineapple, lemon, all sorts of tropical. Flavor is loaded with sweet, bright, happy citrus, pine, and leaves. Very nice creamy, slick, lightly syrupy texture.This beer is always excellent when i have it.

tastybeer, Dec 31, 2013
4.11/5  rDev -5.7%

Bottom Line Up Front: This beer is the opposite end of the spectrum compared to the Brown Shugga. I don't mean that in quality or taste but in style of beer. So don't go into this thinking it'll be similar because it won't. This beer is a wonderful, hoppy, light colored ale that should not be considered a "substitute" as it does pretty well on it's own.

Decanted a 12oz bottle into a DFH goblet.

Appearance: Pours a nice white head that lingers for a little bit. The color of this ale is a darker straw color that is very clear. Leaves a nice sticky lacing around the glass.

Smell: Very strong pine resin and hops

Taste: Very hoppy. Lots of floral and citrus notes.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is average with a lighter body mouthfeel. Hops linger on the palate for a little while.

Overall: Wasn't what I was expecting when I first poured this beer since I was a big Brown Shugga fan. However when this beer came out again last year and this year I made sure to grab a few six packs because honestly I like this beer as well. I don't consider this a "substitute" but was glad that Lagunitas introduced this when Brown Shugga wasn't available. I'm also happy that they continued to make this alongside their winter offering. If you were on the fence about trying this one, don't be. Be bold.

rev3rb, Dec 31, 2013