Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
4.98/5  rDev +14.5%

Don't believe I had a DIPA as creamy as this. This is a west coast IPA to perfection. Ridiculous amount of hops yet not overpowering bitter. This could easily be a session IPA if not for the high abv. Second best IPA I have had and probably in the top ten of beers I have tried. Nice brew.

1.75/5  rDev -59.8%

4.54/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I absolutely love this beer. Seriously. Its like "beerfest" quotes good. I really can't find fault with it without sounding like some nitpicky douche bag. One of my favorite offerings from Lagunitas, who is one of my favorite breweries. I only wish they'd brew it more often.

4.06/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours out golden and with an orange blush on it. Fat creamy head of off white foam that lasts and leaves sticky lace. I was expecting a bigger nose but it's a bit shy. Sultry even. It has a tropical fruit sweetness and bit of mango. Soft suggestion of pine but nothing sharp. Fresh ripe orange and a bit of sugar for a malt presence on the nose. Some orange peel to really sweeten it and brighten it. Taste is a light delicious juicy mouthful of liquid fruit. Fresh orange with tropical underpinnings. Gentle pine. The malt is supple and graceful and like a bit of sugar. It drinks with a bit of hop oil on the body of the beer, medium mouthfeel and has a touch of sticky resin to coat the mouth and leave a softly moderate bitter. Dries the palate and finishes with a faint spice and a bit more bitter with a pleasant aftertaste like fresh orange juice. There is no alcohol on this beer save for a touch of warmth. Drinks so easily and has an amazing lightness .

4.81/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Beautiful deep clear orange and amber color. Thick white head settles quick and chunky lacing on the drink down.

S - Amazing bright citrus smell. Orange and grapefruit, little sweet. I could sniff this all day.

T - Sweet up front then big bright citrus notes hop resin and pine notes round out a slightly bitter and dry finish.

M - medium body with nice carbonation. Dry finish and a clean refreshing feeling on the palate.

O - You know I didn't want to believe this beers hype. To my surprise it surpasses my expectations. This is one of the best beers I've ever had and I might prefer it to Heady, yes I said it. Big citrus notes, surprising balance and an unbelievable level of drink ability. I bought a 6 pack and I'm going out tomorrow for another.

4.68/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - Medium gold, clean and clear.

Smell - mango, pineapple, peach, fresh pine

Taste - Strong and pleasant hop presence. A tiny bit of sweetness but very little malt presence. If you like big, dry DIPA's, you will love this beer.

Mouthfeel - standard for the style.

Overall - A really great beer. To me this basically tastes like a milder version of Stone Enjoy By IPA, very similar hop character.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company