Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

4.95/5  rDev +13.8%

pours golden, clean. everything is balanced very well. it has a great hop bouquet. the maltiness and bitterness are balanced perfectly for the style. overall i gave it a 4.75 because there has to be something better, but this is on top for me right now.

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%

Pours a translucent gold color with a finger’s breadth of pure white, fluffy head. The head dissipates aver a few minutes, leaving generous gobs of lacing clinging to the glass. The arom is of resinous pine sap, freshly cut grass, some straw, and lemon and grapefruit citruses. It tastes of resinous pine, the aforementioned citrus, some grass/herbs, and some special combination of hop spices and holiday spices that I can’t seem to put my finger on. Hint of nutmeg or clove? Either way, it works well. The mouthfeel is as expected; bitter up front, lively and carbonated in the middle, and dry on the finish with the resinous nature of the hops lingering. Overall, this is a good IPA that incorporates a great hop profile with “a little something extra.” Well balanced, yet still interesting, flavorful, and exciting.

4.11/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a clear lighter amber with big white head that settles slowly to a quarter inch with sticky spray of lace on the glass. Smell: floral, grapefruit, melon, pine note, apricot, biscuit back. Taste: orange, pine, a little berry, citrus rind, melon, touch of apricot and biscuit. Lighter side of medium bodied... cooler, this one seemed to thin out too early, but not having that problem now. Does come off as a DIPA despite the IPA-range specs. Glad to see Sucks make it down here this year. Good, not mindblowing.

4.36/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured this out of a 12oz. bottle into my Maudite snifter. Gave it a nice aggressive pour that produced a solid 1” thick head that lasted for a few minutes. The lacing the beer left behind was lovely, almost as if you could see every sip you took like the rings of a tree on the edge of the glass. The smell of the beer is pretty good with a nice dank resiny sent, I do have a slightly stuffy nose myself right now so my sense is a little off. The beer is truly a delight on the palate, with a wonderful sweetness reminiscent of a dank mango fruitiness that leaves a lasting impression on the tongue well after you’ve swallowed this treat of a beverage. Now I’m a huge fan of Lagunitas and this beer has that sweetness flavor to it that you’ll find in any hop forward offering from Lagunitas. So just another great beverage from a great a great brewery.

4.28/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Extra from an IP trade with Joe. Cool dude and sweet hangs. Not sure when this bottled, but it can't be too old.

A- Not too much to improve upon here, in my opinion. Poured this from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter. Nice finger-and-a-half of head which retains well. Pale golden, almost straw-like, color. Very minimal haziness. Lacing all the way down the glass as you continue to drink. Nice!

S- Piney, resinous aromas dominate this one. Freshly cut grass. Some grapefruit in there as well as some orange zest. A little too muted for my liking, but still very nice.

T- Follows the nose really well. More of a malty presence than I had anticipated. Not too much, but certainly more than I was expecting. I like it! The finish is pretty dry with some quality hop bitterness. Preceding this is some juicy fruitiness balanced. Great balance.

M- Pretty highly carbonated. Towards the heavier end of a light mouthfeel. Really smooth finish. Bitterness lingers. Well done.

O- Really enjoyed this beer, and can understand why people look forward to it as a seasonal release. Would totally buy some for myself if I saw it in the Pittsburgh area. Excellent extra to receive in a trade.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company