Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

4.19/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A -A vigorous pour into a tulip (which seems to be how all my reviews start these days) yielded three fingers of dense foam which rose above the lip of the glass like whipped cream. The surface tension was enough that it didn't spill down the sides, though. Cool! Pale yellowish-orange with much clarity.

S - Floral, citrussy, resiny hops burst all over the nose. Most notable are grapefruit and orange rind. Intense.

T - Lighter and crisper than most double IPAs. Lots of hops again, though perhaps with a slightly grassier quality. Fades quickly into the finish, with some malty sweetness at the back end, but the first taste is great and refreshing.

M - Lively and effervescent. Not thick at all.

O - Extremely enjoyable, and ten bucks a six-pack - what a deal!

4.41/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Glass Used: Tulip

Appearance: A glorious crystal clear orange-yellow body with a fluffy white three finger head. Excellent lacing as the foam quickly disappears leaving a few spots of suds and a ring lingering around the sides of the glass.

Smell: Freaking amazing. Chock-full of citrus: Pineapple, orange, tangerine, lemon - plus blasts of tropical fruits like mango and papaya. I get some malty goodness and some floral scents as well. OUTSTANDING nose on this beauty.

Taste: Floral hops hit you up front along with that lovely bitterness I love in a Imperial IPA. Then comes the assortment of fruits from the nose along with other sweet varieties. Malt closes the palate nicely along with some of the linger of the bitter hops. Freaking fantastic beer.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated; lip smacking good without being overly heavy, if that makes sense. Dry finish.

Overall: This has everything I love and then some in a Imperial IPA; complex and balanced with all the lovely hoppy fruitiness while being grounded with bready malt. If you haven't tried this and love rich, fruity IPAs, get this. Do not pass it up.

4.47/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-Pale golden brown on the pour with a vibrant white, 2 finger head that leaves a fair amount of lacing as it fades quickly.

S-Astringent, citrusy hops hit the nose at first, but it's mellowed out by some sweet charred sugar and caramel

T-Again, citrusy, astringent hops flood the palate. It fades nicely into the sweet sugar, caramel notes and is rounded out with a semi-sweet hop bite. A touch boozy as well. It's leaving an aftertaste of sweet, rich fruit which is quite pleasant.

MF-Creamy, smooth, medium-full bodied. Finishes smooth with a touch of crispness and carb.

O-Magically balanced and deceptive. The hops wallop you at first but then fade into an almost honey-like sweetness that surprises you. A mighty fine, unique beer.

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

4.34/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured clear deep amber. Fluffy head of uber dense bubbles. Clinging lace.

Smells ranging from pineapple, tropical fruits, apricot, to pine resin.

Juicy grapefruit flavors, followed by citrus rind, canned peaches, and pine. Good malt backbone to balance out the hops, slight alcohol presence. Flavors start strong but peter out a bit in the finish.

Crisp mouthfeel. OIly resins left on the tongue.

Overall a really good DIPA. I'd not turn this down, and I'm happy to pay for it again. But I think it's reputation precedes it a bit too much.

3.38/5  rDev -22.3%

This beer poured with no head. It is a pale golden color that in all honesty doesn't look a whole lot different from a pale ale. The lack of any discernible head was also disappointing.

The nose is very boozy. I also get a bit of sweet malitness, but mostly its straight booze.

The taste is a bit of hop bitterness up front (not too much though, but enough to know that it is an IPA) and then a lot of malt sweetness. This beer then finishes with a moderate amount of bitterness, but certainly less than expected. I don't get any citrusy hops at all, there is definite bitterness and some definite pinyness to the hops though.

Overrall this beer is ok. I do not think it lives up to the hype in any way shape or form. That said, at $10.99 for a six pack it is easily the most affordable DIPA that I am aware of. It just can't compete in the flavor or nose department with MBC Lunch, Heady Topper, or other great DIPA's.

4.96/5  rDev +14%

12 ounces of liquid gold poured into a Sierra Nevada pint. This full-figured, voluptuous beauty fills out her repository in ways that other beers can only imagine. A pronounced fluffy white head gives way to myriad lace patterns resembling constellations and snowflakes. Quite impressive. The nose on this one is without rival. I've smelled some really good IPAs in my day, many of which I've yet to review, but this one takes the cake. Brown sugar, grapefruit, pineapple, and tobacco leaf invade the senses and demand that you come back for more. As remarkable as it smells, it tastes just as good. Distinctively hoppy, yet equally balanced by a generous amount of citrus flavors. Despite the Imperial billing, the abv is barely detectable. The mouthfeel is silky and smooth like a nice pair of legs. Lagunitas turned what could have been an accident into, what is in my opinion, the best beer in their inventory. Like Kate Upton emerging from a pool in a curve hugging bikini, this beer arouses me in ways that are beyond words. Sucking never tasted so good.

4.89/5  rDev +12.4%

Bottled January 4th. Poured January 29th into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

Appearance: A sunset orange sort of color. Very slight haze. Fantastic white, foamy head floating on top leaving tons of lacing. One hell of a sexy looking brew.

Smell: $#@&, that's GOOD. Trademark Lagunitas tea-like aroma (well, I think it smells like tea... reminds me of it...), with a wallop of grapefruit and maybe some pineapple as well. Really tropical. A nice, sweet, bright-as-all-hell, fresh picked hops. It smells phenomenal, to say the least. Nearly perfect.

Taste/feel: Again with that trademark reminds-me-of-tea Lagunitas flavor. That with the unbelievable blend of all the tropical fruit flavors you can think of (...not durian. That's tropical, right?), a hint of grass, resinous hops, and the absolute slightest alcohol warmth... this is... really almost unreal. I was worried that Sucks would be a bit too sweet, and it starts off that way, but then there's a perfect amount of bitterness on the back of the tongue on the finish that is unbelievable. The mouthfeel is medium in texture and carbonation. The carbonation really helps to "pop" the taste buds, and it works extremely well in this brew.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, here we have probably the best beer I've ever tasted. It pours beautifully, the smell is glorious, and the taste is a religious experience. I've tried to think of reasons not to give this beer my first perfect rating in taste and overall rating, but I can't think of one -- this is a double IPA that every single person needs to try. The sweet, tropical, tea flavors on the front, the incredible amount of bittering hops on the finish... Sucks is every bit as good as what the majority says it is. I'm kicking myself for only getting a single bottle. Lagunitas must make this year-round.

I'm a Michigan boy, so it pains me to say this, but... this is a better brew than Bell's Hopslam. I only had Hopslam this year once (on-tap), and it was GOOD, but it was harsher than I remember it being. I know this is 2% lower than Hopslam, but I really couldn't give a shit. This is THEE Imperial IPA.

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%