1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

3.78/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A- Golden in color. Thin lacing with very little head. Carbonated just about right though.

S- Pine and hops. Not much citrus going on here. It is a well done Cali DIPA.

T- Hay, piney hops. Pretty dry with the lack of citrus.

M- Pretty thin like the style.

O- A well done Cali DIPA, and at a great price (I think). 6er for $9.99. I bought this 6er at one of the more pricey stores in the area.

3.44/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is a great offering from a great brewery and one that I pick up every year.

Appearance is bright and clear straw with a clean white fluffy head. Lacing is tight and it looks very appealing.

The smell for me is the only thing that turns me off. It's good, but something about it reminds me of body odor... I think it's just me...

Taste is bitter and round. It's a pretty neutral double IPA. Piney, subtly sweet, and leaves me wanting another sip.

Also, a great value at $11.50 for the six pack.
Well done, again.

4.32/5  rDev -0.7%

4.39/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

BOD 339/13. Golden pour with a nice head and lasting lacing. Very nice nose of grapefruit and other citrus against a slight spruce essence. Almost medium bodied with an average carbonation. The mouthfeel is almost creamy. An outstanding hop flavor with grapefruit the most forward. Spruce and a slight malt sweetness round out this well balanced ale. The alcohol content is totally hidden by the flavor. The finish is more smooth than crisp with a nice tartness and a soft bitterness. This is one of the best.

4.29/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Pours a clean, golden color with a white 1.5 finger head. Fluffy head holds solid throughout the drink and the lacing clings like it has a death grip.

S- Massive amounts of NW hops of grapefruit, pineapples, orange pith, and tangerines. They simply explode out of the glass! I get the sense that strong acidic hops are what's in store for me. Touch of a caramelized candy base. Lagunitas never disappoints on the nose.

T- Hops aren't messing around here. Damn near abrasive, and I like it. They come at your strong with pine and citrus early, then the chewy pale malt of caramel and cotton candy allows this one to settle in soft in the finish.

M- Mid body, bordering on light. Crisp carbonation, but still goes down smooth. Sticky, lingering bitterness.

O- Intense. Maybe my favorite from a fantastic brewery. I've heard the comparison with PtE, and while Sucks may not be quite as balanced, it is a fair assessment.

$8.99 for a 6 pk

4.3/5  rDev -1.1%

Outstanding DIPA. Has a really floral/melon-ish flavor to it; fairly significant resiny hop flavor, though not as intense as Surly Abrasive (which is my favorite beer in the category). Would absolutely continue to buy, at this price point. Stoked that Lagunitas continues to make such accessible, affordable beers.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company