Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

4.66/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Update: 1/13/14–I had an extremely fresh pack of the latest batch, and it was even better than my first taste of Sucks last January. I feel obliged to give a bump to its taste and mouthfeel scores. The taste was full of tropical fruit–pineapple, passion fruit–grapefruit, and pine. Incredibly juicy and resinous mouthfeel that dries out in the finish–not too dry, just right. This year's edition of Sucks was also NOT undercarbonated–the carbonation was absolutely spot-on, which really helped the flavors of this monster really pop. Incredible, incredible stuff. To me, an improvement over last year's edition--MIND-BLOWING.

---
I bought a six-pack of very fresh (bottled 1/5/13) Lagunitas Sucks over the weekend at the liquor store in Kimbark Plaza, Hyde Park, Chicago. I've heard a lot of hype about this beer, so I was willing to give it a try. I'm glad I did. Served in my Chimay chalice.

Appearance (4/5): Lagunitas Sucks pours a transparent copper-orange color and is topped by a dense, bubbly, white foam head. It has great retention. Tons of resinous foam lacing sticks to the glass' sides as it recedes. Yep, this baby looks like an IPA.

Smell (4.75/5): You immediately notice the juicy hop odor upon opening the beer–tropical fruit, piney, resinous. Fruit notes: big-time pineapple, grapefruit, and mango notes, and other assorted citrus aromas coming through. Dank, for certain. Some sweet pale malt is noticeable in the background and serves to give a little extra heft. Though a fairly strong beer, Sucks doesn't feature any alcohol in the aroma.

Taste (4.5/5): Sucks' flavor follows the nose: exceptionally grapefruity-pineapple-y, piney, some interesting mango and apricot notes too. Very bitter but really manages to work in some pleasant sweetness. The malt plays its role excellently; it lends heft and body and a nice sweetness to counter the strong bitterness. Just the faintest alcohol warming in the long finish.

Mouthfeel (3.75/5): Resinous, sticky, the hop oils really coat the mouth (something I tend to like). A little undercarbonated for my liking but not a huge issue. Medium-full body. Great drinkability: Sucks drinks like a regular IPA but has the mouthfeel of an imperial.

Overall (4.25): Lagunitas Sucks is a very good Imperial IPA–it tends towards the resinous/sticky/sweet/fruity route rather than the dry and uber-grapefruity route. I don't have a preference either way; what I can say is that it Lagunitas has executed this kind of Imperial IPA quite well. The only thing that needs to improve is the carbonation level. That's not a huge issue, but it does rob the beer of some of its potential. Still, a very, very tasty beer. Recommended for all those hop heads out there!

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%