Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
Klimm

02-24-2013 01:52:08 | More by heymikew
DrStiffington

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Fantastic. I've had this on tap and bottle this year. Smells strongly of citrus and pine. Tastes the same. Strong hoppy flavor. Mouthfeel not thick and creamy, but still not insignificant. Perhaps more impressive than Hopslam this year. Outstanding!

02-24-2013 00:17:04 | More by DrStiffington

02-23-2013 23:29:18 | More by Eduk8traz
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.76/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on February 23, 2013.

It pours medium amber with a slight cloudy character and a medium off-white head that eventually settles down to a lingering ring.

The aroma was my favorite part of this beer with a nice earthy, hopped sensation and an odd brown sugar note. Malts are mellow.

The body falls into the medium range with an acidic quality to it.

The hops present themselves as the dominant character in the taste with a muted maltiness and sweetness. But quite frankly, I found this beer to be about level with any number of IPA's I have had.

02-23-2013 22:33:44 | More by puboflyons

02-23-2013 16:33:33 | More by cbnz
MudDrinker

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Straw golden-very light orange with a fluffy white head.

Smell - Grapefruit. Just a big ol' grapefruit, there's some other citrus and mango involved, but its pretty uncanny to me how much grapefruit hits you upfront. No resin or pine in the smell at all. That's a new one on me.

Taste - Whoa. Grapefruit, mango, bittersweet citrus. When cold, its hard to pick up any resin bitterness - it comes through as it warms but its never abrasive. Absolutely no alcohol presence. Sweetness from the malt is pretty much the best sidekick ever in this beer.

Mouthfeel - Light and creamy. Decent carbonation, making the head come across really fluffy. It really fits with the sweet grapefruit flavor. This beer is definitely worth pouring in a glass that has a turbulent shape for head retention.

Overall - Phenomenal. I pretty exclusively drink stuff on the malty side of the spectrum. I rarely like brews with pronounced hops, and definitely not IPAs/APAs/etc. but I'll be buying this as long as I can get it.

02-23-2013 14:40:29 | More by MudDrinker

02-23-2013 06:23:39 | More by sureshot08
rodlavers

4.64/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured Lagunitas Sucks into my favorite Founders snifter to enjoy for the first time this year (I did have it on tap last night, but this is my first bottle of the year).

It actually does look like someone urinated in my glass, someone so dehydrated they are on the verge of death. It's that pale orange, yellow color with tons of white bubbles and foam. It's very clear and bubbly from the carbonation. Only some lacing, think my glass has lost its ability to hold lacing.

Smells of intense passion fruit -- it's sweet, with orange, mango, pineapple, pine/floral hops. It also has a nice malty backbone in there as well.

Taste is more of the same, very good. It's also a bit resinous, too, which I like.

Feel is very nice, indeed. Smooth, balanced, and super fresh. Drinkability is high. Repeat, drinkability is high.

Overall, very good beer, maybe my favorite Lagunitas offering. Hopefully it becomes year-round eventually. Cheers.

02-23-2013 04:39:18 | More by rodlavers

02-23-2013 00:17:45 | More by mendonza
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

4.44/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Momar42 for the bottle! 12 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A: Pours a nasty-looking dark piss color. The head is a two finger spoiled milk shade that looks like cottage fuckin' cheese. Why is there so much ugly-ass lacing left on my glass?

S: This is full of gross melon, gross papaya, gross herbal pine, gross mango, and...well, it's just gross. Smells like an awesome-- ERR I mean wet ass.

T: Yikes, and just when I thought it couldn't get any nastier, it does! The opening is nothing but mellow-- I mean nasty tropical fruits. Bah, who really likes tropical fruits? It tastes like a damn rainforest! It finishes with a soft, malty sweetness, which totally sucks 'n' stuff, too. And ewww, is that onion on the aftertaste? Who wants onion in their beer? NOT ME, GOOD SIR!

M: Light, delicate, subtle, and crisp - and it sucks. Yeah, it fuckin' sucks. I've never stated my preference toward light and delicate DIPAs before in my life, you're all nuts! /angryface I mean, sure, it's drinkable, but that's only because I want to get rid of it so quickly! Aw crap, I'm not near a drain...I guess I'll just pour it into my mouth more. Because it fuckin' sucks so much.

O: Yuck! Lagunitas Sucks indeed. It's so bad I'm discouraging everyone out there of buying it...so I can snatch the remainder up for-- I mean, cuz it's gross an' shit. Yeah, that's it. This is most definitely not a fantastic DIPA that I wish I could drink a case of, no, you guys are all reading into things WAY too much. Like I said, this sucks I WANT MORE I WANT MORE NOW!

02-22-2013 23:31:11 | More by ThisWangsChung