Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
ScottO

03-22-2013 03:56:51 | More by ScottO
Pete27lax

03-22-2013 03:52:35 | More by Pete27lax
denver10

Kentucky

3.94/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a burnt orange with a frothy white head and nice lacing. Aroma is sweet and juicy; some nice hop resin, citrus, brown sugar and some bread. A sweet and fruity IPA; sweet citric juice, hop resins, and some bread. A crisp, active mouthfeel. Overall, I get the hype for this beer but I am not quite digging this like most. Would drink again, but wont be seeking this out personally. Kinda reminds me a lot of Brown Shugga, just with a different malt base.

03-22-2013 01:38:08 | More by denver10

03-22-2013 00:15:21 | More by vicsju1991
tastymug

Washington

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance: Pours a clear, medium orange/amber with a nice head and lots of lacing.

Smell: First thought here is that it smells awesome! Hoppy, sweet and citrusy.

Taste: Very complex yet balanced taste that is full of flavor. Sweet, sharp and citrus upfront with some bitter following after. It finishes warm and fruity (like tropical fruits) and the flavor lingers on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with the perfect amount of carbonation.

Overall: A super tasty beer that I would definitely indulge in again. It’s very well-rounded and drinkable. Lagunitas generally produces quality brews so no surprise here!

03-22-2013 00:00:42 | More by tastymug

Rhode Island

03-21-2013 02:37:43 | More by Triglycerides
Efay

4.89/5  rDev +12.2%

A- The body of this beer is a light goldenrod color. There is two fingers worth of foam with good head retention. Best of all, there is an extremely high amount of lacing on this bad boy.

S- Initial danky smell, which leads to light pine that actually stings your nose, as well as fresh tangerine. I literally mean fresh tangerine as it smells like someone is cutting one right in front of your nose. It is heavenly. The tangerine is so dominant that I can barely get any malt.

T- Initial dank flavor, but its light and somewhat floral. Tangerine is dominant again, with less amount of pine. This is not really bitter at all and is more fruity than anything, which I love.

M- Light and sticky with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O- I never thought I would enjoy an DIPA this much, especially with the lack of a malt backbone. The hops are not overbearing at all and it's just sweet perfection. This is on a level of heady topper, and is simply phenomenal.

03-21-2013 01:29:32 | More by Efay

03-20-2013 12:14:28 | More by Big_Moose
deadonhisfeet

Kentucky

4.09/5  rDev -6.2%

Obtained via trade from ThaFATkid. Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium snifter. The pour is clear orange-gold with a nice sudsy white head and some nice bubbles streaming up from the bottom of the glass. Nice nose on this beer. Very fruity without smelling ``sweet''. I get lots of fresh citrus fruit (orange and grapefruit), some dried apricot, and just a hint of pine.

Nice firm feel and medium body. The flavor is a nice combination of fruity and bitter. I get a bit of sweet, mealy, maltiness up front, some butterscotch, and plenty of fruit. The feel is downright creamy and suits the palate well. I do wish that the butterscotch, while not on the forefront, didn't last quite so long across the palate. Just a flash up front would be divine, but too much interferes with the hoppy goodness. Good finish on this one, though not as sustained as I'd like.

I'd definitely buy this one every year if I had access to it. As I have to trade for it, this may be my only encounter with it. I can confirm that it was a delightful one at that.

03-20-2013 08:35:29 | More by deadonhisfeet