Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 8,765 | Reviews: 1,414

4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a clean light strawberry blonde with fluffy white head

Nose- herbal hop spices, citrus rind/oil, juicy guava and candied mango, very effervescent

Taste- follows with big floral presence. fresh grapefruit, light tangerine, guava, zesty hop spice, burnt sugar and mango- candy-like- finishes a bit herbal hop bite with more candied tropical fruit

Feel- crisp, clean, a bit sticky, floral, drinkable, smooth

Great beer. Reminds me of Odell IPA. Very effervescent, like hop candy

4.64/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: (poured into a tall pilsner glass) light-orange with a huge white head. Not sure if it's because of the pilsner glass or not. Lacing is retained.

S: Lemon, pineapple, grass, zest, and hops. Very nice aroma actually.

T: I was not an IPA fan, as stated in some of my other reviews, but this is a fantastic beer. It's not overly hoppy and doesn't assault you with sticky malts either. It has hop resin, pine, grass, lemon, pineapple, brown sugar, sweet fruit, grapefruit, and orange peel in it.

M: Like I like my IPA's- with a lighter body (not too light, though). Just my opinion. And this nails it!

O: Very good brew. This beer has changed my perspective on the IPA style. It seems as though Lagunitas stepped up their game on this one and made a very refreshing, well-balanced, tasty IPA.

4.49/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear gold color, white sticky head. Lace is patchy and stringy. Has that oily hoppy look to it. Aroma is loaded with stinky, dank, fruit. Sweet sugar cookies, mouth watering citrus, pineapple, lemon, all sorts of tropical. Flavor is loaded with sweet, bright, happy citrus, pine, and leaves. Very nice creamy, slick, lightly syrupy texture.This beer is always excellent when i have it.

4.13/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottom Line Up Front: This beer is the opposite end of the spectrum compared to the Brown Shugga. I don't mean that in quality or taste but in style of beer. So don't go into this thinking it'll be similar because it won't. This beer is a wonderful, hoppy, light colored ale that should not be considered a "substitute" as it does pretty well on it's own.

Decanted a 12oz bottle into a DFH goblet.

Appearance: Pours a nice white head that lingers for a little bit. The color of this ale is a darker straw color that is very clear. Leaves a nice sticky lacing around the glass.

Smell: Very strong pine resin and hops

Taste: Very hoppy. Lots of floral and citrus notes.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is average with a lighter body mouthfeel. Hops linger on the palate for a little while.

Overall: Wasn't what I was expecting when I first poured this beer since I was a big Brown Shugga fan. However when this beer came out again last year and this year I made sure to grab a few six packs because honestly I like this beer as well. I don't consider this a "substitute" but was glad that Lagunitas introduced this when Brown Shugga wasn't available. I'm also happy that they continued to make this alongside their winter offering. If you were on the fence about trying this one, don't be. Be bold.

4.52/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I am not an IPA/hoppy kinda guy. Stouts and high ABV beers are my favs. But as I'm drinking this one bottle in my possession I have to admit it's a refreshing and bracing glass of beer.
Smell: It is grapefruit unleashed and really terrific.
Taste is very much grapefruit/citrus with a bit of bitterness at the back end. But it is very nicely carbonated and very refreshing! Even though I love my stouts, I will be looking for a 6 pack when it hits my area. Now I know why everyone is raving for this beer!

Postscript: Bought 2 more 6-packs. Enjoy!

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%

3.97/5  rDev -8.7%

Side by side tasting with Pliny the Elder

A: With a minimally aggressive pour, I get about a 1 finger head that fades rather quickly into a thin layer of small white haze with some large bubbles forming. Beer is a golden orange and is clearly enticing me to drink! Good looking beer.

S: This is a very strong and dank if you will smelling beer. I get a lot of resin and pine with some faint citrus undertones. There is also a strong scent, I just cannot quite place. While not unpleasant, not what I was expecting. (As noted above I was doing this alongside Pliny. Pliny was the clear winner here for me.)

T: Good tasting beer. Obviously very hop forward, but it definitely has a malt kick in the back. Much like the smell I get a piny resiny flavor from Sucks that fades into a bitter (in a good way) aftertaste. There is almost what I would call an earthy flavor mixed in with the pine and resin followed by the malt. I kind of wish I had not reviewed this side by side with Pliny because I clearly like the Pliny better, but I know this is still a great tasting beer.

M: Very sharp and drying with a long lingering aftertaste. This beer is somewhat oily on the tongue after the initial sharp dryness....is that even possible? Anyhow, not bad on the palate.

O: Overall this is a solid beer. If I hadn't had the Pliny side by side it would probably get a higher rating, but still a good beer. I will probably come back in a few days and maybe update after I've only had this one. Anyhow, I recommend and I will certainly enjoy the rest of my six pack.

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company