Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
Triglycerides

Rhode Island

03-21-2013 02:37:43 | More by Triglycerides
Efay

4.89/5  rDev +12.2%

A- The body of this beer is a light goldenrod color. There is two fingers worth of foam with good head retention. Best of all, there is an extremely high amount of lacing on this bad boy.

S- Initial danky smell, which leads to light pine that actually stings your nose, as well as fresh tangerine. I literally mean fresh tangerine as it smells like someone is cutting one right in front of your nose. It is heavenly. The tangerine is so dominant that I can barely get any malt.

T- Initial dank flavor, but its light and somewhat floral. Tangerine is dominant again, with less amount of pine. This is not really bitter at all and is more fruity than anything, which I love.

M- Light and sticky with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O- I never thought I would enjoy an DIPA this much, especially with the lack of a malt backbone. The hops are not overbearing at all and it's just sweet perfection. This is on a level of heady topper, and is simply phenomenal.

03-21-2013 01:29:32 | More by Efay

03-20-2013 12:14:28 | More by Big_Moose
deadonhisfeet

Kentucky

4.09/5  rDev -6.2%

Obtained via trade from ThaFATkid. Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium snifter. The pour is clear orange-gold with a nice sudsy white head and some nice bubbles streaming up from the bottom of the glass. Nice nose on this beer. Very fruity without smelling ``sweet''. I get lots of fresh citrus fruit (orange and grapefruit), some dried apricot, and just a hint of pine.

Nice firm feel and medium body. The flavor is a nice combination of fruity and bitter. I get a bit of sweet, mealy, maltiness up front, some butterscotch, and plenty of fruit. The feel is downright creamy and suits the palate well. I do wish that the butterscotch, while not on the forefront, didn't last quite so long across the palate. Just a flash up front would be divine, but too much interferes with the hoppy goodness. Good finish on this one, though not as sustained as I'd like.

I'd definitely buy this one every year if I had access to it. As I have to trade for it, this may be my only encounter with it. I can confirm that it was a delightful one at that.

03-20-2013 08:35:29 | More by deadonhisfeet
Doc_Hops

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

A- Lagunitas Sucks pours a perfect combination of yellow and orange. It meets right in the middle. A booming heads tops the beer which is completely clear with nice bubbly carbonation.

S- Right away I can spot the brewery. There's something about Lagunitas (not unlike Victory) where you can tell the brewery right from the start. I get a lot of bright green hops, with only a slight malt balance. Quite a bit of citrus that really dominates the nose.

T- After a few big sips I'm getting a lot of lip-smacking citrus but also a nice peppery character that I did not expect. The malt is present but definitely not a huge flavor component, which I am okay with given that it is as true West Coast IPA through and through.

M- Medium bodied and very well balanced. It is smooth as can be for the style. Sucks sits well on the tongue. It has a very clean finish but is not particularly dry, which is just fine for me.

O- Loved it. I had heard so much about this beer and it did not disappoint me. This is a great IPA from a great brewery. The only negative I have is that this is not quite a double like it's listed. It a very good IPA, but if it is truly a DIPA, it is a little weak. There's almost TOO MUCH drinkability and too much smoothness for the style... if that makes sense? Still, it's a great beer and you should drink it!

Serving Type- 12oz bottle poured into an IPA glass. Thanks for reading.

03-20-2013 04:52:13 | More by Doc_Hops

DrinkDrankDronk

03-20-2013 02:04:41 | More by DrinkDrankDronk
SaisonRichBiere

4.06/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet glass.

Appearance- pours a light, bright orange with one finger of bubbly, frothy head. Lacing all around as the head goes. Stays bubbly on top.

Smell- Bright tangerine sugary notes, candy maltiness, and citrusy, herbal hop finish. Smells very good.

Taste- Begins with sweet tangerines, maraschino cherries and bubblegum. A brief astringence flows into caramel corn malts. Finish is a bold, earthy hop character. Surprisingly dry and blunt for how sweet it started out. Tasty stuff. Tangy apricot aftertaste on the palate.

Mouthfeel- Mineral water micro-bubbles yield to a creamy, sugary smoothness. A bit dense.

Overall- I wasn't sure what to expect with this one. Unique taste. Fruity with a malt and hop afterthought. An appropriately sweet substitute for Brown Shugga. Very likeable and tasty. As much as I hate to say it though, it's much like a Magic Hat #9, but with a bit more bravado. Surprisingly mild for a double IPA, and noticeably lacking a big hop character on the palate akin to the style. All things considered, I've got a few more in the cellar, and look forward to them.

Cheers.

03-20-2013 00:37:25 | More by QuantumC
bambam2517

Arizona

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle to a pint glass and served in the backyard, initially at 40F.

A - Pretty standard IPA looks. Dirty golden-brown body, some light carbonation and a small watery head. Does lace nicely down the glass though.

S - Very powerful orange blossom, grapefruit and pineapple. Floral and slightly sweet. A real winner here.

T - Backs up the nose nicely. Really pick up the Grapefruit all the way through. It bounces off the orange and pineapple mostly, but there is a nice backbone of Cascade hops here too. Again, nicely done.

M - It backs up on the palate slightly, but it masks its ABV well and it has a slight sweetness that keeps me sipping it.

O - Its a very nice offering, I do prefer Sumpin Sumpin to this one though.

03-20-2013 00:26:48 | More by bambam2517

Maryland

03-19-2013 19:10:54 | More by dayost
Fusion7777

4.59/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured a clear amber into a tulip with a generous white foamy head. Aroma is absolutely intoxicating citrus and pine and easily one of the best noses on an IPA/IIPA. Taste is tropical fruits, hops, pineapple, mango, passionfruit, lemon zest, and balanced by subtle malt. Sticky, smooth, crisp, and balanced mouthfeel. Quite possibly the best bang for your buck at 9 bucks a sixer; packs a very high flavor to dollar ratio. A great go-to beer, especially now that it figures to be a year round offering. The best of many Lagunitas IPA offerings.

03-19-2013 17:57:46 | More by Fusion7777