Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

dapatte2, Mar 18, 2013
4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

Move over Hopslam, ye have been dethroned in my book.

A - Beautiful, clear ruddy-amber, thin white head.

S - Interesting mix of pine, pineapple, straw, orange rind, slightly funky cheese hints linger in the nose on the end, but not at all off-putting.

T - Big hops up front, tastes match the smell fairly well. More of the orange rind, and a mix of savory bitterness and sweet.

M - Fairly heavy, has a chewiness to it, and well carbonated.

O - I found 2013's Hopslam to be off from year's past, and luckily discovered Sucks just in time to fill the gap. One of the best DIPA's I've had in a long time. Haven't had many Lagunitas, but this beer converted me.

Rukasu, Mar 18, 2013

cdmillard, Mar 18, 2013
4.39/5  rDev +0.7%

I guess I need to confess that I like lagunitas beers. Poured into a tulip glass from a 12 oz. bottle. Nice two finger head with good retention and great lacing. Golden color.

Smell is lagunitas standard. Pineapple? Sirupy hops with lots of sweetness. Orange rind with grapefruit.

Taste follows the nose with a nice sweet hoppiness to start, bitter hops in the middle with sweet hop to finish. Tastes like a combination of a little sumpin' sumpin' and brown shugga light. Since I like both beers I like this one.

Mouthfeel is normal double ipa. Good carbonation with a slight hop resin slickness.

Overall a really good double ipa. It's pretty much what I expected given the name and my familiarity with lagunitas.

dbell23, Mar 18, 2013
4.31/5  rDev -1.1%

I'm finally getting around to reviewing this one - not sure what took me so long.

What a pretty beer... a glowing gold body that is stuffed from side to side with constant beading. A creamy finger of off-white head retains well and leaves behind drapes of lace from start to finish.

The aroma reminds me quite a bit of Sculpin or Dreadnaught. Juicy hop character defined by tropical fruits and some heady nugz. Nose-gasm.

Takes a slightly different direction on the palate. A bit more citrus and pine resin. More complex than the nose would suggest. Really tasty stuff.

This beats the piss outta Brown Sugga.

yamar68, Mar 18, 2013

brycevolk, Mar 18, 2013

Sudsday, Mar 18, 2013

CuriousMonk, Mar 18, 2013

RadfordBrewing, Mar 18, 2013

sgttibbs, Mar 18, 2013
4.66/5  rDev +6.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a delirium tremens tulip snifter.

A - Pour is copper with a nice white head. Color is clouded by floating sediment and constant bubbling.

S - Smell is huge citrus, with grapefruit and tart orange. There is a hint of sweet pine and floral notes.

T - Taste matches the nose but does have a nice trus sweetness to it from some clever malt wok that is not present in the nose.

M - Nice and tangy. The bitterness and sweetness are very well balanced and do not cause one or the other to linger on the palate.

Overall, this beer is awesome. I have not had much exposure to lagunitas in the past. WIth my recent tastings of several of their beers, this is by far my favorite. Though it doesn't come out and call itself one, this is an awesome imperal or double IPA. This may be close to the top of this category for me. Watch out Bells Hopslam and Breckenridge 471 Small Batch!

niday2288, Mar 18, 2013

georgiaboy8686, Mar 17, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -19.7%

jamesdcormier, Mar 17, 2013

Milkysunshine, Mar 17, 2013

Single bottle from a six pack, picked up in DC by a fellow BA. Thanks daryk!

Poured into my Duvel tulip. I can't find a freshness date on the bottle, but I'm guessing around October 2012 or so.

Light honey caramel in colour, with about a half inch of head, which settles nicely into a thick ring with some icicled lacing.

Nose is generously hoppy and tropical, with grapefruit, mango, orange and a resin bitterness as well. Touch of grain and caramel sweetness as well. Impressive.

Certainly an enjoyable double IPA, quite bitter and a bit drier than I'd expected it to be. It begins sweet and caramel, though milder than some of the other examples of the style. The bittering hops are all there, and there's a dry-hopped quality to it. Citrus is overtaken a touch by the resin bitterness, though grapefruit pith and mango are still there. Bready and a little bit soapy to the finish.

Lighter bodied, easy to drink, moderate to high carbonation.

I enjoyed this brew to be sure, and I'm happy to have the better part of a six pack left to hold on to and explore a bit more. I can't say that I'm blown away by it, however; it feels a bit off balance - drier and more bitter than I think I'd like, but it's a fine beer nevertheless. Not something I would go that far out of my way to get again, which considering how infrequently I get my hands on American craft brews, is a decision I have to make.

JohnnyBarman, Mar 17, 2013