Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
beersvh23

02-19-2013 02:47:44 | More by NFMSKRS
Skeeter206

4.36/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Got the last 6 pack of this available at Ray's Stateline in Pelham NH.

A ~ Good golden color with a half finger head that slowly dissipates but retains a decent lacing around the glass.

S ~ Great smell, grapefruit, some hops, maybe a little pine in there as well.

T ~ Tastes similar to the smell, grapefruit and maybe some other citrus fruit up front and a strong hoppy finish. Pretty good taste but it tastes a little strong for the 7.85 ABV, not as well balanced as other IPA's with an ABV over 9.

M ~ Well carbonated, full bodied, no complaints in this department.

O ~ I would buy this again, its got a good hop backbone in there and some fruitiness as well. also I think I only spent 11 or 12 on a 6 pack, which isn't bad at all for an Imperial IPA.

02-19-2013 02:44:02 | More by Skeeter206
mmsimmons

2.5/5  rDev -42.7%

02-19-2013 02:33:22 | More by mmsimmons
EvanJohnson

Arkansas

4.66/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On an adventurous whim I purchased some Sam Adams IPL at my local package store. The next day I went back to exchange the 5 that I hadn't drunk because it was that bad. Luckily the owner of the store is great and offered me some Lagunitas SUCKS for my trouble.

I was not disappointed with this one. I am a sucker for highly carbonated and grapefruit hoppy goodness. This one succeeded on both counts. As other reviewers have said, it would be difficult to get past one or two of these in a sitting. But in my opinion that is one high quality sit that you'll be having. Strong enough for a cold winter night, but would be equally as enjoyable grill side. Can't wait for the next 6pack.

02-19-2013 01:43:38 | More by EvanJohnson

02-18-2013 23:01:13 | More by Baab200
cooler4life

Quebec (Canada)

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I like Brown Shugga so this better be good. Here goes....

A: Poured a beautiful 2 finger white head that slowly settled to a thick crown adorning the edges of the glass. Beer is a hazy golden, orange copper color. The frothy head lends itself to copious amounts of lacing. Up and down the glass she goes. Retention is stand-out. Appearance nears perfection.

S: What...what's that smell? I'm just poured it but I'm all the way across the room. Did my wife buy some hop resin glade plug-ins? No..hmm...wait...it's the BEER! Super piney with powdered sugar, honeydew, and citrus.

T: The hop resin is interwoven through the tapestry of other flavors. You won't forget this is a DIPA. Let's go for a ride. Body is comprised of cracker malt, dry biscuit, rock candy, honeydew, and HOPS. The tail end is an explosion of pure tangerine and honeysuckle.

M: Slightly sticky without being overbearing. Bubbly carbonation. I would have liked to see a little more body in the way it envelops in the mouth.

O: I tried to fault this beer, I really did. But I can't. Look out boys and girls, there's a new sheriff in town. In hindsight, I think this year's batch was exceptional compared to previous years.

02-18-2013 20:57:08 | More by cooler4life
RollTide7

4.74/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

copper color, citrus notes with aroma, lots of pine with taste, good level of hops up front. Lingering bitterness and pine aftertones. Very drinkable and I hope this one will be available year round as per recent rumors. this will go down as one of my favorite ipas that is readily accessible to me. AT least thus far...

02-18-2013 20:19:49 | More by RollTide7
ericj551

Alberta (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Lagunitas sucks pours a bright gold with a decent white head. The aroma is herbal, tropical and citrusy hops with no hint of bitterness. Citrus and tropical hops dominate the flavor as well, but there is tons of pale malt sweetness. The bitterness is surprisingly light probably partially due to the sweetness. Overall the hop flavor is hard to beat, and the sweetness and lack of bitterness make it extremely drinkable.

02-18-2013 17:20:36 | More by ericj551

soroka24

02-18-2013 10:51:55 | More by soroka24
SometimesIfart

4.76/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours clear copper with a three finger, slightly off-white head. Left small amounts of lacing.

S - A huge, and absolutely perfect amount of pine, followed by tangerine and grapefruit.

T - Tangerines and a heavy amount of pine up front, followed by loads and loads, and fucking loads of pine resin. This thing tastes like a This One Goes to Eleven. And it's inbelieveably smooth. The balance is also so beautiful that I might cry.

M - Medium creamy body with light to medium carbonation.

O - This beer is too damn easy for 7.85%. It's delicious in every way, But it is not a Maxiumus.

02-18-2013 07:24:50 | More by SometimesIfart
schlimenhaumer

3.9/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from a bottle (which appears shorter than pictured here) into a Delirium tulip at low altitude in NY.

A: Pours a translucent, relatively dark gold color with a creamy one- to two-finger milk white head of good retention. Carbonation bubbles float slowly around the glass. A good deal of lacing here as well.

S: Tropical fruit hops are front and center here -- passion fruit comes to mind for me. There's a bit of resinous pine in the background as well. Juicy.

T: Delicious tropical fruit hops come through up front, followed by a more piney finish. There's not too much malt body to balance here -- you'll taste each of the 63.21 IBUs. In my opinion, this beer lacks the balance that sets the best DIPAs apart.

M: Medium- to full-bodied with a relatively viscous mouthfeel that fits the flavors. Well-carbonated.

O: This beer is definitely worth trying, especially if you're not averse to bitterness. Enjoyable overall, but not as balanced as it could be. Would be difficult to drink more than one bottle of this in a session.

02-18-2013 05:42:50 | More by schlimenhaumer
LikeFliesOnFlesh

02-18-2013 03:14:24 | More by LikeFliesOnFlesh
Jimbo33

02-18-2013 03:05:08 | More by Jimbo33
Hopswagger

South Carolina

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

P: Orange copper body with a bubbly thin top of off white clouds.

S: Super fruity and sweet. Grapefruit, blood orange, apricots, pomegranate, mango, honey dew and pineapple. Sweet candy malt and very subtle flower aroma.

T/M: Clementine oranges, ruby red grapefruit with sugar sprinkled on top, apricots, and melon. Crystallized sugar accompanied by bitter lemon/line peel and timid spices. Overall palate is big time fruity and sweet, opposed to a harsh bitterness. Sticky medium body with gentle carbonation and a smooth but dry finish.

O: All I can say is "I love this beer!" Hands down one of the best I gave had. Super excited to try the rest of the Lagunitas line up. Cheers!

02-18-2013 02:55:37 | More by Hopswagger

djl9701

02-18-2013 00:48:14 | More by djl9701
smalenberg

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served in standard pub pint.

A - generous pour gives an inch of foamy white head that dissipated slowly leaving a lot of lace on the glass. Orange-amber in color and crystal clear.

S - Big resiny pine notes dominate over an underlying citrus (more lemon than orange). Searching beyond that with my nose in the glass and a really big sniff, they is a slight oniony note, but it is very subtle.

T - Some malty sweetness and a strong tropical fruit note (pineapple, mango) followed by a well-balanced bitterness. A lemony character is found and very late at the back of the tongue, the piney character from the nose comes through in the taste.

M - that resinous note in the smell translates to a slightly oily character in the mouthfeel that isn't unpleasant and doesn't seem out of place. It remains on the tongue long after the swallow complimenting a somewhat dry finish that leaves you wanting more. The body is lighter than you might expect for all of that.

O - I'm not a big hophead, but I enjoyed this beer. Nice to find an American IPA that doesn't overwhelm you with grapefruit rind. Easy drinking for nearly 8% ABV

02-17-2013 23:50:28 | More by smalenberg