Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

maxpower, Mar 10, 2013
3.9/5  rDev -10.3%

12oz bottle purchased for $2. Poured into Founders snifter.

A- Pours a translucent slightly brownish golden with a fairly thin white head that leaves spotty lacing, nice consistent carbonation.

S- Earthy hops, some pine, light sweet malts that are well balanced with the hops.

T- Earthy hops, oranges, light sap, finishes fairly bitter earthy hop taste and a slightly fruity aftertaste of earthy hops, oranges, and light presence of bananas. Nice balance, personally prefer a bit more citrus though.

M- Medium bodied, decent carbonation, easy drinking.

O- This was a decent IPA, but with so many good IPAs out there it is hard to rate this one that highly. Overall I think it is definitely overrated, but very good for the price. Personally I think there are a few better IPAs you can pick up a four pack or six pack of, but not many that you can get for $2/bottle.

jaasen64, Mar 10, 2013

zounder, Mar 10, 2013

MitchD14, Mar 10, 2013

ShreddedThumb, Mar 09, 2013

Twoheartedzombie, Mar 09, 2013

zestar, Mar 09, 2013
4.99/5  rDev +14.7%

If it wasn't for all the positive comments on BA about this beer, I may not have ever tried one. But I'm glad I did because it is awesome! Found it in the singles for $1.77 a bottle, grabbed the last 2 they had. Great price, most "top-notch" brews are in the $3 range at least.

Poured into a snifter glass, nice copper color, nice lacing.

Smell? Like laying down in a forest of pine needles, with a basket of peaches spilling about!

Taste is the best part. After initially numbing the tongue, it slides down ever so smoothly, leaving a sweet, sticky residue. So good.

I've only seen this beer in one store so far, and can't wait to get some more of it! :)

snohojimbo, Mar 09, 2013

msigona85, Mar 08, 2013

fitz284, Mar 08, 2013

EricTheRed, Mar 08, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lagunitas SUCKS is my first review: I got to sample this highly interesting beer at a neighborhood party,and it was an eye opener for me. Until recently, I was only an occaisional beer drinker, favoring smooth British Ales (Samuel Smiths was one of the few designer beers available 30 years ago,still a fine product).

A small glass holding 4 or 5 oz was poured for me to sample:an orange-copper color, and the first thing that struck me about this beer was the heavenly aroma. The usual list of suspects for tropical fruit launch an all out assault on your nose, the most prominent to my senses were apricots. Not being familiar with the "new" breed of hops developed during my period of disinterest in beer, I was convinced that SUCKS was brewed with apricot (i.e. Magic Hat #9),or peach, or mango. WRONG!

The blissfull aroma drew me into the first sip, which was a flavor explosion of epic proportions.
The tropical fruits are up front and the carbonation seems to accent those flavors, the finish is dry and long. This is a lip smacking beer: incredibly smooth drinking and inviting,Lagunitas SUCKS is a real winner,especially for those just starting to explore the world of "hopped up" beers that are all the rage currently.

If you are throwing a dinner party, Sucks is a bargain for $10/six pack just to see the buzz it will create amongst your guests with such an intoxicating aroma and intruiging flavors. Sucks might be the best bang for the buck in the $10 sick pack category.

I'm discovering that Vermont is a good place to be judging by the world class ratings of Hill Farmstead,The Alchemist,and Lawsons: I'll be sure to cover those in future reviews in my quest for a quality brew.

Hendry, Mar 08, 2013