Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
rosschive

JOrtt

02-08-2013 13:43:43 | More by JOrtt
Sheils

4.41/5  rDev +1.1%

Wow - I was very suprised by this. I got Lagunitas Sucks the same time I picked up Hopslam. I have been so nuts about Hopslam that I under estimated how this beer would compare. It blew me away and I might honestly like it better than Hopslam. Obviously its not quite as hoppy but it is well balanced all around. Seriously one of my favorite beers.

02-08-2013 13:36:45 | More by Sheils

02-08-2013 06:20:24 | More by OleDixie
Beerandboards

New Mexico

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Both straight from the bottle and also out of a pint glass

A - the classic golden, honey type color. Quite a bit of white foam, leaves plenty of lacing

S - subtle orange peel, lemon juice, some pine, a little bit of the malt in the background

T - hop forward but not overly bitter. Actually really balanced and drinkable. Easy drinking citrus notes with some tropical flavors in there as well. Not as in your face as hop stoopid or something like that. Could easily session a few, but for the 8% ABV.

M - nice oily hop presentation, not overly dry or quick on the finish.

O - killer smooth IPA. My favorite lagunitas by far. It's not as good as the hype, but its definitely in the neighborhood.

02-08-2013 05:20:27 | More by Beerandboards
ericlawton007

Connecticut

4.48/5  rDev +2.8%

Typical IPA presence when poured into a glass. Hops aroma is delicious, and the taste is of grapefruit, pine, and orange. I love that a beer this hoppy can be less than 8%abv.
On one other note, after I had a bottle of sucks i split a bittle of arrogant bastard, and it was the first time ive ever called arrogant bastard sweet and brown sugary.

02-08-2013 03:55:32 | More by ericlawton007
Heynow007

2.4/5  rDev -45%

I am a stout guy, so maybe I am jaded, but I didn't like it at all. Has an IPA taste, but didn't like the flavor. I expected more from this beer. It was a good balance of Flavors but something was missing and fell flat.

I'll have to try another and see.

02-08-2013 03:08:34 | More by Heynow007

02-07-2013 21:38:33 | More by Soloveitchik
jpro

South Carolina

4.34/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz single bottle poured into a DFH snifter... looking forward to getting one of their new "IPA" glasses - they look pretty cool. Anyhow...

A: Pours a slightly hazed orange gold; a pour down the center yields about a finger of sugary white head that leaves some nice patches of lace.

S: Herbal, sugary hops; there's some tropical citrus and resin in there, too; this one has a little stank on it, plus some light malt aroma - not much... maybe almond skin - kind of interesting... Hops are the primetime players, though.

T: Big resinous hop taste, right off the bat; some mild malt flavor (cracker) sweetens things a touch, but again - this is hophead territory for the most part. There's just a touch of alcohol on the end that takes away from everything, but that's OK.

M: Medium-full body; high carbonation; a touch oily; what every IPA should aspire to be!

O: I'm not sure if I'd put this into DIPA territory or not... It toes the line between big, hoppy American IPA and DIPA - kind of a toss up depending on the scale of your lupulin threshold. Plus, the lower abv at 7.85% leans it slightly toward "single" IPA. Anyway, this is great beer. Quite delicious and drinkable - next time I'll get a sixer.

02-07-2013 21:29:38 | More by jpro