Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,437 | Hads: 9,325
4.29/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The nose is slightly funky, piney and citrus. The flavor is nearly a perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness. It finishes not to thin yet slightly sweet. (158 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wow I really Like the flavor & nose on this "substitute" from Lagunitas.
tried the Quart bottle & fell in love. like a previous poster, I decided to pick up the 6 pack I saw recently, not much different. which is awesome cause I really liked my first impression.
pine resin, fresh grains, citrus, awesome. not much else to say other than it has a clean aftertaste for the bitterness level, so very drinkable. Toast! to what may be my go-to "lighter" "Crisper" spring/summer brew. nice. (485 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Very happy to see this for the first time in sixers at my local market. I've tried it before in the 32 oz bottle, but this pack has to be more fresh than that last try. Poured right from the fridge into a pint glass.

L: Pours a nice, clear bright amber with about an inch-and-a-half of off-white head that sticks around for a bit before dissipating completely and leaving a bit of cling on the glass.

S: Pine hop notes are the most assertive, but there's great citrus and a bit of funk/herbal/earthiness in there, as well. The grain underbelly is also present, with a bit of breadiness to round things out. Very nice bouquet on this one.

T: There's some caramel malt sweetness and rye bread in the front. Nicely balanced flavor there, with the carbonation helping to introduce some of those great pine and citrus hop notes from the nose. Just a bit of hop funk--actually, a perfect amount of hop funk--flavor in the middle, mingling with a bit of clear alcohol. The back end is resinous hop flavor in a big way, though the malt backbone never leaves the taste buds. This has some serious flavors that blend terrifically well.

F: Medium-bodied and a shade lighter feeling than many DIPAs out there. It's not overtly sticky or syrupy, but it has a way of lingering on the palate without outstaying its welcome. There's some creaminess to the front and middle, and the back end leaves the bitter without getting in the way of the next sip. Quite drinkable for a double.

O: Well, I think I might have just found a new go-to beer. This is a stellar DIPA that's balanced without being afraid to bring bold flavors. Plenty of hops for the hop-head, and plenty of complexity with its use of grains. I have a feeling I'll be taking this one along on more than a couple of fishing trips this summer. Seek this one out. (1,813 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dogfish head tulip. No bottle date.

Pours a clear, dark gold/light copper with 1 finger beige head. Modest carbonation and retains a thin skim of foam. Very nice lacing.

Hoppy. Resiny. Citrus. Sweet. Smells like an IPA; what else can I say. As it warms, smell a little alcohol.

Lightly sweet, Crackery arrival. Gobs of fruitiness mid-palate. Very firm but not overpowering bitterness on the finish. No alcohol whatsoever on the palate. Scary at 8%!

Light fluffy feel, perfect carbonation. Not slick, crisp. The essence of an IPA in my mind's eye (tongue)?

Overall: Very clean, balanced and refreshing. Most definitely just earned a spot in my rotation. A must-try. (669 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Nice tropical aroma. Awesome complex bitter citrus flavors with nice clean finish. Easy drinking, alcohol completely masked. Top notch IPA with the flavor profile that I really enjoy. (185 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The look is a amber with a great head.The smell is of caramel, malt, hops & resin. what a great tasting beer! I'll have no problem finishing this 32oz. :) (154 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

When this first came out I was a bit indifferent towards it because it was the replacement for Brown Shugga, but after a couple it grew on me and now it's my goto (162 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a light amber color with a thick foamy head. Head retention and lacing are excellent. Has a nice citrus, resinous aroma. There is a hint of caramel. Smooth taste with a nice hoppy finish. Piney and citrus aftertaste. Astringency is low but still there. Excellent beer. Definitely a keeper. I hear they are in 12 oz bottles now?! (343 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Hands down one of the best ipas out there. I'm so glad it's back in 6 pack. The 32 bottles were over priced and sometimes I don't want to drink that much in one evening. One to two 12 oz bottles is usually good enough for me. Absolutely amazing. (245 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -7.2%

Didn't buy this until the much more user friendly 12oz bottle. Tastes like a brown Shugga jr. Very enjoyable. I'm sure this review doesn't help at all. Enjoy! (158 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle to pint glass. Pours three fingers frothy white head, with excellent retention and sticky lacing walls. Golden and orange, clear but some small particulate matter visible. Head fades eventually to thick film. Oranges immediately apparent to nose, followed by rye, spices and lemon peel. Tastes just like nose, with a balanced bitterness and cereal grains. Feels medium/heavy bodied, with moderate carbonation. Love the rye feel. Aftertaste lingers for several minutes. Alcohol is well disguised, leaving no drying sensation. Love the combination of wheat, oats, rye and barley. Makes for great complexity. This is a great holiday style ale, and their story behind this brew cracked me up. I forgive you, Lagunitas. Keep up the good work. (756 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%

This beer was excellent. I expected an over hopped beer, as I had previously come to known Lagunitas to have. I had it in a pint glass, which is likely not the proper way to have this, but regardless my experience was great. (224 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

Surprising. This one was much different than what i was expecting, pours gold. Not much head, the aroma is strange, i get the caramel and hops followed by the malt, it's really hard to pin the exact flavors, but very sweet. The taste is what surprised me the most, so balanced, the malts and hops, and the ale goes down smooth as water. The flavors work so well together and i'm honesty so impressed with the drinkability of this guy, The bottle I got was also close to 2 months old, but man, i must have drank that thing in like 3 minutes. (540 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very solid beer. I'm getting pine needles, grapefruit, pineapple juice and bread on the smell. Taste is pretty smooth and balanced. Just a tad bready for me but great overall. It doesn't have anything that "pops" or really stands out to me, otherwise I'd give it a really good score. Awesome IPA overall. (304 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2014 edition, served in a tulip glass on tap

A: Dark red/reddish brown. See through in proper light. 1/2 to 1 finger of off white head that laced the glass throughout the session. No visible alcohol legs.
S: Piney, sweet, brown sugar, molasses. Big aroma from hops and malts. No booze detected on the nose.
T: Bite of pine upfront, followed by malty sweetness. The more sips you take, your palate adjusts to the bite and the brown sugar element really comes to the front. Finishes sweet and dry.
M: Medium-big mouth feel, medium carbonation. FInishes dry.
O: Big beer that's extremely drinkable. Great combination of sweet malts and hops. Definitely a go to beer for me anytime I can get it. (692 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent brew with a creamy head. Great lacing that stays on the glass the entire drink. Starts out somewhat slightly bitter with a slight sweet finish. One ill have again for sure. Flat out delicious. (203 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

L: Clear honey amber with a head made up of large and small bubbles.
S: Lemony pine
T: Piney! Little bit of citrus. Very balanced, pleasant bitterness.
F: Very smooth, amazing texture - not quite creamy, not too thick or too thin, juuuust right.
O: I really like this one and will definitely have it again! (306 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Really thought I was going to like this, but I felt the brown sugary sweetness didn't complement the other flavors and left an unpleasant lingering flavor in my mouth. (167 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -4.8%

Picked up a big 32 oz. bottle of this in Totowa a few weeks back, having never had this before. I had the regular Brown Shugga a while ago and heard good things about this. While this was not terribly strong, hopped, or potent, there was a really complex groups of flavors that allowed this beer to grow on me as I worked my way through this and let it warm up. While not as good as the leaders in this category, it's an improvement over the original version of this beer.

Golden pour to this with a head that seemingly never quit and lacing that formed nice rings over the top half of my pint glass. Not a strong aroma to this either but boy, was there a lot in the taste. Gorgonzola. Onion. Soda. Grass. Straw. Hints of tropical fruit. Apple. Crystalline Sugar. They're all here and in good proportion to one other. Much lighter than I thought, I wasn't sure how this beer had 63 IBU's in it since it didn't feel that strong or overtly hopped to me. The resembled a regular IPA or even an ESB, given how well it went down and light an impression it gave off.

While the alcohol was strong, I only felt it and could never taste it. Not the best offering from Lagunintas currently on the shelf but there was enough to like here without the usual "hop bomb" characteristics that are found in so many beers of this style. Quirky, subtly strong, and deep, this beer was typical of Lagunitas style and slightly held true to form as there was some brown sugary-sweetness that was underneath everything else here. A fun beer that's worth a go for IPA lovers. (1,554 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

With great thanks to Wyatt

Think it's about 1.5 months old looking at the bottle date.

Pours a nice filtered looking yellowish kind of chrome. Nice well-retaining head and good lacing.

Nose is white grapey. Also melon and pine and orange-y, slightly boozy malt. Gives an impression of paw paw.

Taste is more grapey. Flavours carry through well to the taste and the flavour is consistent throughout the palate, no watery spots. More melon to be found on the palate and a decent dose of balancing sweetness which renders this tasty and drinkable. Finishes only on a real subtle bitterness which is more than balanced by the sweetness, which lives up to Lagunitas' reputation. I like this actually.

Mouthfeel has the white grape coming in midway through and retaining. Otherwise just a wholesome sort of sweet melon flavour. Hint of bitter booze on the end, which isn't really a drawback.

Only "problem" is a mild booziness throughout which is a little bit surprising for the ABV, but it doesn't particularly bother me and the rest of the elements are exceptional.

Really good beer and firmly in the new school which emphasises aromatics over bitterness. Cheers Wyatt. (1,173 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Looks like more of a light yellowy haze for a DIPA. Good carbonation. This DIPA tastes very sweet, honey, pine, mango, orange peal, tropical fruits. Going down, everything sticks right there. Then the malt kicks in on the back end to balance everything out perfectly. Really tasty beer! Or should I say sucks? Top shelf beer here people. Cheers! (348 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Another "go-to" IPA. I like to keep this one stocked in the fridge. Lagunitas has a particular taste that comes through on this beauty. Citrusy, very slight malt, with a decent aroma. Good beer. (194 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear and deep golden color with two fingers of thick foam. Minor lacing on glass. Smell is very piney and earthy, with notes of honey and sour citrus. A very hoppy and piney taste explosion on first taste, followed by honey and citrus notes. Mouth feel is slightly bitter, but not bad. Overall a top shelf brew. (320 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Look: Frothy head. Orange in color.
Smell: Tropical.
Taste: Tropical and some pines.
Feel: Mild carbonation. Great balance of hops and malts.
Overall: Very classic west coast IPA. (179 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours a clear gold with a creamy, thick white head.

S: Aromas of honey, caramel, biscuits, grass, herbs, mango, kumquats, grapefruit, lemon, and lime fill the nose.

T: Notes of honey, caramel, biscuits, grass, herbs, mango, kumquats, grapefruit, lemon, lime, and pine fill the mouth. The finish imparts lingering sensations of lemon, lime, grapefruit, mango, caramel, and honey backed by a swell of warming, peppery alcohol.

M: Very light in body for a DIPA. The malt is barely able to stand up to the hops. Fortunately, the hop presence is so strong and unique that the near lack of a malt body is mitigated somewhat. Carbonation is active and airy. Alcohol is noticeable, but is mellow rather than prickly. The light body, delightful carbonation, and mellow alcohol make this ale almost too easy to drink.

O: I really like this DIPA. It is very unique and easy to drink. Recommended. (892 characters)

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company