1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,259 | Reviews: 1,229 | Show All Ratings:
Ozzylizard

4.13/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Undated bottle at 40 degrees into imperial pint
Aroma more citrusy than piney, but both present. Could snort this.
Head large (6 cm), white, frothy, slowly diminishing
Lacing OK, broken rings of large bubbles with vertical chains linking the next swallow
Body light yellow with slight chill haze
Flavor mildly hoppy but quickly diminishing. leaving a hit of grapefruit bitterness behind; no malt balance, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, watery, carbonation watery

A decent IPA, but, IMHO, not the gift from the gods as it is often rated. Glad I bought a sixer, not upset I didn’t get a case.

02-23-2014 13:52:50 | More by Ozzylizard
JOHNKNEEGEEZ

Maine

4.59/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured a 12-oz bottle into a polak-style beer glass.
A: Thick, rocky head with lacing prevalent as I drink this sweet nectar! Color is orangish gold.
S: Intensely fresh grapefruit and citrus.
T: Grapefruit, citrus, mild malty sweetness, with bitter hop resin finish.
M: Light-bodied; Smooth and easy drinking.
O: Very impressive offering from Lagunitas! As is common in most other DIPAs/Imperial IPAs; I do not detect alcohol and I'm happy that the typical, potent malt backbone is not present. Surprised at how light in color and body this beer is for the beer that it is! Lagunitas Sucks!

02-23-2014 01:02:46 | More by JOHNKNEEGEEZ
fitrock2112

Poured Sucks into a Belgian Tulip.

A - Pours a clear golden with a finger and a half of white head.

S - Nice, the aroma is of pine, fresh grapefruit. It has some dank hop resin in there as well.

T - First taste getting some grapefruit, tropical citrus with pine. Mid palate the smoothness of the malt comes through to balance things out nicely. On the aftertaste getting more hops, pine, and grapefruit.

M - Smooth medium mouthfeel, medium carbonation.

O - A really good IPA. Delicious brew! Recommended! Cheers!

02-22-2014 23:07:17 | More by fitrock2112
MarkAvery

4.4/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Im a big fan of most Lagunitas stuff. This is definitely my favorite. Picked up a six pack on Friday and it was gone by sunday night. Beautiful color on this beer. Great Hoppy taste. In one word I would describe it as "clean". I know that sounds kind of weird, but it was a very clean Hoppy IPA taste to me. Almost a perfected taste if you will. I will be picking up more of this and keeping it for the summer. I can just picture myself drinking a lot of these Ice Cold on my back deck in the blazing sun. Thank you Lagunitas!

02-21-2014 20:25:50 | More by MarkAvery
hellobeerz

4.94/5  rDev +13%

A - The head is insane and was insanely long lasting. A Beautiful golden, orange/amber. I honestly said to my wife, "hey! come look at this!"

S - wow... This is incredible. I am getting Grapefruit, mango, blood oranges, intense hops that fill the air from the first pour of the bottle. I poured it to a moment later my wife across the room, say "what is that?!?!" A surprise I was amazed by.

T - Bit of malt in this. In the most extraordinary way. Simply ridiculous. Its all the smell and more, plenty of tropical fruits with lots of hops. I am getting so much mango, and grapefruit as well as blood oranges and so much citrus. almost 8 percent ABV? haha, I cant even tell. Lovin it.

M - Great mouth feel, I was wanting to share with everyone just to see there reaction, and I kept wanting to drink more and more.

O - I am so glad I grabbed this when I saw it, it has a "cult" following as many say and I can honestly see why. An amazing beer from an amazing brewery. Try it out, you wont be disappointed.

02-21-2014 03:38:18 | More by hellobeerz
Duhast500

Rhode Island

3.89/5  rDev -11%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Dogfish Head pint glass.

The color is a clear orange/gold with a finger or so of foamy white head and some thick lacing left on the glass.

The smell is hops with a backup of sweet malt aroma that sits towards the back but can not be ignored. There is a candy-like aroma there that has a touch of grape Fundip.

The taste is less hoppy then expected, the malt is there first with some sweetness to start things off before going quickly into some flavorful fruity hop bitterness. This beer may have some age on it so it's a little drawn back from what I remember from having a fresh one in the past. This still holds up and in some ways is more flavorful with the bitterness in the back seat and more of fruit flavor is detectable without being over shadowed.

The feel of this beer is medium bodied and is a better drinker then anticipated. It's smooth going down and does not give as much punch to the pallet.

02-20-2014 02:36:40 | More by Duhast500
mevett89

Maryland

4.68/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: straw gold with nice bubbles, and a beautiful white head that dies down to a thin foam with good lacing.

Aroma: predominately piney hops with a bit of citrus, and sweet malt.

Taste: bitterness (pine and some citrus) from the hops is balanced nicely by sweet malt and a bit of bread.

Mouthfeel: good carbonation and medium body.

Overall: some beers, I have found, get over-hyped. But this is not one of them - It's just as delicious as I've heard! Great hop aroma and taste, but very well balanced with a tasty malty backbone. Lagunitas, you may claim you suck, but this beer certainly doesn't.

02-18-2014 21:50:46 | More by mevett89
SportsandJorts

4.5/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: a very light yellowish orange. slightly pale color. just a slight haze to it but almost clear. a finger of a white head that leaves behind a complete lacing

Smell: very tropical and citrusy hops. grapefruit, maybe some mango or papaya. the hops definitely over power the malts. some pale to more toasty malts but very subtle. as it warms some alcohol comes through

Taste: opens up with hops, grapefruit and resin and mango and papaya. lots of different hop flavors alternate through here. malts stay in the back here and mostly come out pale. low to no alcohol making an appearance

Mouthfeel: fairly lighter for the gravity. bitter but not overpowering. finds a nice balance of hop bitterness that is resiny but not killer. just a touch of warmth

Overall: this beer finds just the right balance of in your face hops without going overboard. good strong hop character but still more taste that straight bitterness. very drinkable and thats probably the best to do since as it warms slightly some alcohol starts to creep in and take away from the flavors.

02-18-2014 02:07:20 | More by SportsandJorts
timmy2b

4.84/5  rDev +10.8%

Bottle poured into a pint glass for this review.

Pours a yellow/dark orange color with an off white head that was about a finger deep. As I drink the head lingers a little bit and clings to the edges of the glass.

Smell of heavy of citrus, Grapefruit and many others.

Taste is light but is a wonderful balance of citrus, hops and bitterness.

Light in the mouth with a very mild bitter aftertaste.

I look forward to this beer every year and it does not disappoint!

02-18-2014 01:28:16 | More by timmy2b
ZagZagg

4.44/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle christening the new tulip

A: Rich crisp golden hue that’s clean and clear with plenty of visible carbonation. Two finger effervescent head that sports some nice retention and lacing. Looks like it’s going to be a crisp drinkin beer.

S: Sharp and resinous up front toting a dry smell that seems just slightly citrus. The nose finishes with an earthy sweetness that’s piney and a bit of cedar, a bit sappy. Light swirling provokes a sweeter more tropical aroma dominated by a sugary mango (reminds me of mango water ice). Loving this nose.

T: Wood flavor forward that recapitulates the nose strongly. The middle mouth develops into an amicable fruity sweetness that begins to play off of the supportive, yet elusive malt backbone. Balanced. The pine resin is the brunt of the profile with the notes of earth, mango, bit of lemon-lemongrass.

M: Dry but crisp and fresh with a bold medium body. Somewhat dry, but sweet aftertaste sticks around for a while and fades to a mild hoppiness. Pleasant. overall.

O: While the beer brings a lot of fresh flavors and is refreshingly crisp, I know it’s not as fresh as it could be. With that being said, I’m taking everything with a grain of salt. This beer is great, excellent DIPA with a lot of character, I intend on fetching fresher brew next time around. I could sling a few of these without a problem.

Shit, you know you wanna try this.

02-17-2014 02:48:22 | More by ZagZagg
Jnashed

4.51/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a pint glass

A: yellow, clear, big head with an aggressive head that lingered. Good lacing.

N: Wow! Impressive nose. Fruity, obvious hops. But really strong fruit including citrus. One of the best smelling beers going.

T: fruity hoppy goodness. Biting finish. Very flavorful though even though hops predominate as one might imagine. Actualy smooth despite the aggressive hop forward initial taste. Malt background is there just late in the taste.

M: good overall. Chewy and well carbonated.

Overall. Wonderful IPA! For the price top ten for sure. Amazing nose that is back upped when tasted. You can crack one and feel the entire area smells of this beer before you even pour it.

02-17-2014 02:23:19 | More by Jnashed
Bierman9

New Hampshire

4.19/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Stopped into Whetstone Station today with Alewife for lunch.... Had 3x of these, in 12oz goblets, at $4.50 each....

Ah, no, it doesn't suck.... Color was a clear, medium-golden. Carbo was sparse, as was the foam up top. Head was white and thin, mostly just a rim-job, though the lacing was nice. Aroma was solid, with plenty of rindy hops and tangerine-like fruitiness. Body was medium+, and it was quite smooth, all in all.

Flavor led with a little sweetness, like apricot jam. It was also a bit pithy, rindy and piney, with some pineapple and tangerine thrown in for good measure. Had a healthy amount of bitterness, which lasted well. Solid, not sucky! Prosit!!

4.19/5 rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

02-15-2014 22:50:58 | More by Bierman9
woodychandler

4.39/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a "Limited Release" that I recently picked up at Monde Market in Philly and I'll bet that it sucks.

From the bottle: "Say 'lah-goo-KNEE-tuss'"; "E. K. Ross would have enjoyed our suffering in 2010 when we saw we couldn't brew our Brown Shugga. But in that time of deepest despair, as is common to artists everywhere ... broke, hungover, abandoned by the muse and prepared to take a job at Arby's, we found in that darkness the spark of inspiration that would yield up this nearly sanctified recipe!"; "Doggone good. We Suck."; "Beer speaks, People mumble."

A heavy-handed pour caused a pseudo-cascade that resulted in a finger of rocky, tawny head with decent retention. Color was a deep-gold (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity and since Croesus, Midas and Mammon were already here, they decided to hang around a bit longer. The nose was nothing less than resinous and it seemed to be leaking pine tar. Mouthfeel was medium and the hops went right to work, coating my tongue with sticky pine goodness. This doesn't suck at all! They lied to me. My hops fix was finally starting to take 'hold, but I wonder what my upper limit is. The label marks it as 63.21 IBUs and I could sense every one of them. My eyes actually began to water a little bit. Finish was dry, but not to the point that I needed oxygen afterwards. It remained very piney and minty and it really did not suck.

02-15-2014 09:50:35 | More by woodychandler
RocketCityVol

Alabama

4.23/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Transparent light golden appearance with a thin white head

S- Heavy hints of Grapefruit and other cirus with a heavy hop aroma.

T- A lot like the smell, but with more of a cirtus flavor with a hint of pine and a perfect amount of hoppiness.

M- Lightly carbonated and Alcohol is not overwhelming.

O- Very good IPA I would definatley purchase this beer again when given the chance

Serving type: growler

02-15-2014 02:17:13 | More by RocketCityVol
stephens101

Oklahoma

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Vociferous piney hops fill the room and won't keep quiet. The sticky, off-white head is large and in charge. Color is reddish-orange with brassy hues.

Getting more aroma of orange candy, caramel and nutmeg after deeper inspection.

Piney, earthy, sugary and spicey to the tongue. Some notes of yeast are noticed later.

Fluid all the way with an unexpected creaminess. Alcohol is extant but doesn't burn. Has a rarely found, finely tuned balance for a DIPA.

Sucks is an amiable beer that knows when to raise its voice and when to quiet down.

02-15-2014 00:46:50 | More by stephens101
zookerman182

Alabama

4.28/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance is a clear yellow orange color with a little head.
Aroma is grapefruit and citrus.
Flavor is the same, with lots of citrus and a little pine.
This beer is on the bitter side which is a good thing.
Mouthfeel is thin and not to carbonated but the flavors linger longer than any ipa a can remember.
Extremely solid!

Serving type: growler

02-14-2014 20:47:58 | More by zookerman182
Copernicus

3.96/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a quart bottle into a Sam Adams custom.

A: The color surprises. It pours at a medium pale with a soft amber kiss. It's fairly clear and boasts a foamy, rocky head with thick lacing and great retention.

S: Oh boy. There's a confusing intermingling of hops and complex malt character. Tons of clean grains and toasty rye. The hop aroma is strongly on the citrus side with lots of grapefruit. There are surprisingly some nice fruity eters from the yeast. I get lots of peach, including the fuzzy quality of it's bitter earthy rind.

T: A bit disappointing considering the nose, but still good. The hop profile frames a thin and delicate malt of toasted grain and biscuit.

M: It drinks well with a medium body and a somewhat foamy texture. There is no bite or feel of the impressive alcohol level.

O: Good, not great. It's unique and incredibly drinkable, but doesn't have a whole lot of personality.

02-13-2014 20:11:09 | More by Copernicus
Ryanm1

3.3/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden color, translucent in the glass. After sitting for a bit there is still a millimeter of head at the top of the halfway drank tuple glass. Completely white top with a small amount active carbonation rising to the top. Grapefuit smell. Devoid of the pine smell that accompanies some hoppy beers. Really bitter pale ale from the initial taste, finishes with a long after taste on the tounge where pineyness appears. Devoid of sweetness. Flavor lingers for too long IMO. I am not a huge fan of this. Can slightly tell the abv is above 5 at 7.85 while the IBU is 63. I'm really not a fan of the taste or shall I say after taste on this one.

02-13-2014 19:04:11 | More by Ryanm1
PSU_Mike

4.46/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a tulip

A - A crystal clear amber with a big soapy white head. A solid 2 fingers with medium carbonation. Very pretty.

S - Kind of funky with a lot going on. Dank is the main smell. There is also hints of grapefruit and pine with just a touch of malty sweetness in the background.

T - Similar to the nose with a touch less dankness and a touch more citrus.

M - Medium carbonation but a little thin. It coats the tongue well with pretty minimal bitterness. Alcohol is present but very subtle.

O - Very enjoyable and I'm happy I grabbed a whole case when I had the chance.

02-13-2014 03:03:04 | More by PSU_Mike
RAlmeida77

4.9/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally had a chance to try this beer as it's very hard to get in Massachusetts. Picked up a six pack and had one as soon as I got home.

Upon opening and pouring, I found the color to be lighter than I expected. A golden-amber hue with a nice head. The aroma from the glass was outstanding. It was like nothing I've ever smelled in an IPA before. Fruity and pleasant. This was very unique. First sip was everything I'd imagined and then some. This beer tastes as unique as it smells. Fruity, malty, hoppy and delicious. It is so easy to drink. Very easy to drink quite a few of these at once.

Overall, this beer has soared to #1 on my list of favorites. I hope it's easier to find as I'm sure the demand is there.

For any IPA lover, this is a MUST try!!!

02-12-2014 17:50:15 | More by RAlmeida77
DrinkMoreBigBeers

4.11/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours out a clear light golden with a two finger white sudsy head. Very clean looking and great lacing.

S - Very hop forward with a sweetness that produce the following notes of pineapple, floral, tropical juice, and pine. No detection of alcohol, and the malts are not coming through the strong hops.

T - Sweet hops with pine, grapefruit, mango, pear,leather, lemon, an underlying malty bready sweetness. No alcohol detected in the taste but can feel it after its in the stomach.

M - Really easy to drink for an IPA, and has a light body that drys right out and invites you for more. Leaves a hop bitterness and feels like it scrubbed the back of your tongue. Super soft light to medium body, slick and carbonated just right.

O - Great beer for an IPA. An easy drinker and really pleasant for this style in comparison to others. Definitely an enjoyable beer and one any hop head will enjoy. Try one and you will know what I mean, cheers!

02-12-2014 00:55:25 | More by DrinkMoreBigBeers
CTbrew32

Connecticut

4.11/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Right off the bat this beer hits the nose with a strong grapefuit and pine hop aroma. Taste defintely matches the nose, but for an dipa this beer is on the lighter side. Mouthfeel is clean and not too resinous/sticky which adds to the light feel of this beer. I don't know if this quite lives up to the hype for me, but its close enough. The taste is great, but for the ratings it get it doesn't quite pack the punch i was expecting. Maybe the expectations caused this to fall short for me, but its still a very good beer nonetheless. Drinkability is a plus for me as I could have 2 or 3 easy, which I cant say the same for most other dipa's Iv'e had.

02-10-2014 23:04:15 | More by CTbrew32
brewskifan55

Mississippi

4.26/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tulip glass

A: Clear golden brown with a white one-finger head that turns to foamy bubbles. Soupy lacing.

S: Piney hops, very floral.

T: A big burst of fruit, featuring oranges and apricots. Floral,sweet, full of flavor. Easy to drink. Low bitterness. A light hoppy finish. Just terrific.

M: Creamy, smooth, frothy with medium carbonation.

O: Now I see what this one is so popular. Could put away a few of these without thinking. Well done, Lagunitas. And by the way, it doesn't suck.

02-10-2014 19:43:20 | More by brewskifan55
JohnCassillo

3.91/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Orange-amber, but mostly transparent color, with a minimal head.

S: Millions of citrus notes coming at you, right from the get-go, along with a good deal of brown sugar in the background.

T: Delivers on the aroma -- a mouthful of citrus and hops, along with malt.

M: Light and balanced -- deceptively easy to drink considering a decent ABV.

O: One of the lightest and best double IPAs around -- made even better by its wide availability here in CA. There aren't a ton of DIPAs that fall into the "every day beer" category, but Sucks qualifies.

02-10-2014 05:46:55 | More by JohnCassillo
glass_house

4.49/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a crystal clear, deep orange-gold with two fingers of fluffy white head that settles to a thin cap with plenty of lacing. The aroma is not as pronounced as some DIPAs, but still very pleasant. I'm getting grapefruit in the front, with some pineapple, mango and flowery pine in the back.

Grapefruit is first in the taste as well, but it rides alongside the pungent pine that is fighting for the spotlight. The carbonation seems just right--crisp and lively without being over the top. A little lighter in the body than I prefer, but it still has that slick oily feel that a DIPA should. More citrus, tropical fruit and some sweet bready caramel balance the bitter hops nicely. The pine sticks around for a few seconds to make sure you know who's boss.

I'd have to do a side-by-side with Maximus to see which I like better, but either way it's a photo finish and both belong in the top tier of DIPAs. The balance and drinkability that Lagunitas has achieved in these two brews is impressive.

02-10-2014 01:31:04 | More by glass_house