Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
Stevie_Janowski

01-09-2013 01:39:32 | More by Stevie_Janowski
Naters333

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into my tulip from a 12 oz. bottle

A- Pours a great deep straw color to gold with a great white 2 inch head. The lacing is amazing as I drink this beer. Good carbonation for the style.

S- The best part about this beer. Hops just hit you in the face. I will admit that the smell really fades as the freshness goes down, but when you pour this beer fresh it is so GOOD!! Pine, hops, fresh, citrus, pure goodness.

T- Hops, grapefruit,bitter, sweet, awesomeness. Makes me smack my lips, which is a great thing.

M- Just rediculously smooth. Love it. Nice medium body for the style, but light. Not harsh. Has a great bitter taste that ends to an almost sweet aftertaste, which is weird for me with most DIPAs. Well balanced.

O -This is a beer that I just say, "man I just really like drinking this stuff." Sometimes hard to explain why, but Lagunitas just gets it with this beer. Great transition between bitter, sweet, balance, smell, everything. One of my favorite DIPAS.

01-09-2013 01:16:29 | More by Naters333

01-08-2013 03:17:57 | More by jrbchef
ThickNStout

Georgia

3.98/5  rDev -8.7%

12oz bottle from Sprayberry Bottle Shop (Marietta, GA). 10.99/ 6-pack. Just released but no dicernable bottling date. Served in a Terrapin snifter.

Pours clear faded orange with a quarter finger pale head that leaves sheets of lace.

The nose is brimming with hops aromas- pine, tropical fruits, and grass with a hint of alcohol.

The taste is pretty close to what the nose indicates but the hops are even sharper. Grapefruit, pine, lemon zest, fresh cut wet grass, white peppercorns, biscuit and mildly sour grapes (but not in a bad way).

Oily, coating medium feel with pronounced carbonation. Long dry piney citrus finish.

While it may not be the best IPA I've had, it's certainly good enough that I'll be picking up more when I see it. An assertive tasty hop treat that deserves more of my time.

01-08-2013 03:14:32 | More by ThickNStout
Wolfpack2005

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

A-Pours a hazy orange and forms s solid 1.5 finger head that fades quickly.

S-Grapefruits. Literally, it smells like someone cut a grapefruit and put it right under my nose. If I was blind folded I don't know if I would be able to tell the difference.

T-Hop forward, Like the nose it is dominated by grapefruit flavors with other citrus fruits mixed in. Also picking up floral and pine hops as well. A slight maltiness creeps in before the hops come back around.

M-Light body, high carbonation.

O-It's actually not a very well balanced IPA IMO (not a lot of malt flavors), but oddly enough I still love this IPA because I think the hop profile is SPOT on.

01-08-2013 02:06:34 | More by Wolfpack2005
match1112

3.6/5  rDev -17.4%

a: clear amber body. four fingers worth of thick clumpy head stay for a bit. after about five minutes i'm left with a frothy cap made up of big and small bubbles with some chunky lacing left behind.

s: i can smell spruce tips from across the room as this one sits for a minute. as soon as there is room for my nose in the glass i take my opportunity to see what else there is, and nothing, just pine.

t: big on the pine with a soapy flavor as well, nothing else.

m: seems thin thru out and a tad watery on the finish. bone dry finish as well with moderate bitterness.

o: not too impressed. won't give up on or bad mouth lagunitas, this just isn't my cup of tea.

01-08-2013 00:24:57 | More by match1112
SkeeterBoganski

Colorado

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle in to a pint glass...obviously.

A - a carbonated orange with some haze present; the bubbles don't stop bubbling from the bottom; nice half-inch head of white foam; lacing is present...and should be taken seriously

S - really grapefruity; generally, one extremely hoppy note after another; floral and resiny; as someone else noted, it smells a lot like Gubna...although seemingly not as sweet

T - citrus as all get-out; grapefruit, orange, passion fruit; bitter hops; soapy floral; piney; also, grapefruit my man

M - this beer is extremely smooth and well-balanced; medium bodied and at the lower end of that; nice malty backbone that presents as dry; solid carbonation

O - this is really one of the best beers Lagunitas has made that I've had the pleasure of trying; it's an extremely well-done DIPA with balance, flavor, and the perfect amount of booziness; for your value, a beer doesn't get much better than this

01-07-2013 22:36:44 | More by SkeeterBoganski
Auracom

3.65/5  rDev -16.3%

12 oz. single purchase from MSCM. All 12 oz. in a FFF Rastal on December 27th, 2012.

A - Super clear, golden coloring. 2 fingers of an eggshell head. Plentiful lacing. Slight alcohol legs.

S - Tropical. Tangerines, Mango, and pineapples. Very nearly a hint of guava. Light sugar, honeycomb.

T - The hops play second fiddle throughout the drink. Light pine underneath a layer of that tropical citrus. Touch of bread.

M - Medium body, medium carbonation, semi-dry finish. Some alcohol warming.

D - It's not what I expected given the brewery. It is very drinkable and balanced, with little palate fatigue. Easy recommendation, although I'm a year late to this party.

01-07-2013 19:36:49 | More by Auracom

davelag

01-07-2013 02:43:51 | More by davelag
Timmah11

4.58/5  rDev +5%

12 oz. bottle poured into Hop Tulip pint glass. Bottle date of 352 equates to December 17, 2012. Consumed January 6, 2013.

A: Slightly hazy orange. Light carbonation bubbles. Half inch off-white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Fantastic, strong hop aroma. Mostly Lagunitas usual grapefruit. Some pine/resin. Smells like heaven.

T: Potent taste follows the aroma, down half a notch. Grapefruit up front. Some hop bitterness. Not sweet but enough malt to make it pretty well balanced.

M: Medium body. Not heavy at all. Like most Lagunitas brews I get a “sticky” feeling. Slight biting aftertaste which detracts only slightly.

O: Great beer in that range between regular American IPAs and the stronger DIPAs. Definite characteristics consistent with other Laguntias beers (good in my book).

01-07-2013 01:47:34 | More by Timmah11