2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,322 | Reviews: 1,235 | Show All Ratings:
AlexFields

Tennessee

4.26/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Smells of wonderful tropical fruits, mango and pineapple. Taste is similar, lots of tropical fruit (especially pineapple) but also spices, rosemary and even salt. Mouthfeel is nice, maybe slightly more carbonation would be perfect but it's pretty great as is. Great beer, super drinkable, just the kind of IPA I love.

8.6/10

01-19-2013 06:06:52 | More by AlexFields
MickeyBeer

4.38/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A- A light copper color, very clear, with about one and a half fingers of white foamy head that dissipates quickly. Beautiful lacing left on the glass.

S- Aroma is hoppy, earthy and piney. I also get notes of peach. I really like the smell of this beer. You can tell before tasting it that is going to be delicious.

T- The taste is predominantly bitter with a sufficient hop bite. A little bit of sweetness that keeps it balanced.

M- Medium bodied and smooth finish. No distinguishable alcohol taste.

O- Great imperial IPA that has an incredible balance of hops and and a little bit of sweetness. Didn't know a lot about this beer when I picked it up, but I will purchase more if I get the opportunity.

01-19-2013 00:03:57 | More by MickeyBeer
nUgZ

4.25/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a clear golden color with a half finger head and nice lacing.

S: Lots of citrus and piney hops abound.

T: Plenty of bitter hops along with some nice bready malts to balance things out. Hides the alcohol well.

M: Medium bodied with good carbonation.

O: This is a well balanced and flavorful IPA. I'll be glad to drink it anytime!

01-18-2013 21:06:56 | More by nUgZ
MattSweatshirt

4.04/5  rDev -7.6%

22 day old bottle.

Pours out with a white head and golden clear body. Plenty of lace stickin around.

Smells slightly astringent with lots of pine and fruity hop character. Apricot, orange, and grapefruit.

Lots of hop character in this with flavor and bitterness. Citrus and resinous pine. There is a light malt sweetness to it. Medium body, carbonation, and bitterness.

After being put off by their regular IPA I had to try this since everyone is going crazy over it. Def worth a pick up.

01-18-2013 04:29:00 | More by MattSweatshirt
Isabel

4.69/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

It is hard to describe without characteristics. so best rating as If it were a beer judge judging, (and as a homebrewer, I can tell they can be cruel sometimes.) This is one of the best seasonal releases available, It has great appearance, clear, heady, smooth, hoppy, spicy, woody, definitely a cousin of brown shugga, But with a complex "lightness" careful, these are easy to drink!

01-17-2013 15:40:41 | More by Isabel
jimmah120

4.49/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz tall on tap at the golden nugget

smell is pine, grapefruit, citrus, all dialed up to eleven. taste is like freshly squeezed mango juice. frothy, chunky feel; like a pulpy smoothie. lots of grapefruit, mango, pine, pineapple, citrus. some sweet buttery malts, and barely a hint of alcohol.

had this beer on tap today and it blew me away. had it later in the bottle and it wasn't as impressive. seek it out on tap.

01-17-2013 07:12:56 | More by jimmah120
hornsup

4.45/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a Cigar City pint glass...can only assume its fresh

A: Pours a beautiful beautiful yellowish orange color with about an inch of head that lasts and actually sticks to the side of the glass in a befuddling pattern. I like it.

S: Smell is strong of grapefuit and piney hops. Mild citrus, lemon, bread, a little mango and guava also.

T: Similar to the smell, but you get more booze on the back of the tongue. Also more sugar, which is enjoyable to me as it cuts the alcohol a touch and brings forth the "exotic" fruit flavors....even some nectarine/clementine which I didnt get from the smell. Very interesting and enjoyable.

M: Medium mouthfeel, nothing spectacular here to set it apart from any other DIPA but it has mild carbonation which is fitting for the style.

O: Overall, I really like this beer. A great beer to have if you want to have 2-4 in a night, as I dont think I could do it for more than that due to the sweetness. I had some reservations after the brown shugga (which I really didnt care for) but this beer is great and balances the hops and fruity flavors like no other beer does. You wont find another beer to directly compare this to. Cheers Lagunitas, youve won me back...if you permanently "substitute" this for brown shugga I will never complain.

01-17-2013 06:59:16 | More by hornsup
StoutHunter

4.49/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a bottle of Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga Substitute Ale a few days ago for $1.99 at The Lager Mill. I really wanted to try this beer when it was first released last year, but it just didn't make it to my area so I made sure to grab a bottle to try when it hit the shelves, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date but I know it's fairly fresh. Poured from a shorter brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- I like the name of this beer, the label looks ok, but I like the way last years label looked more, this is one is pretty simple. It poured a nice bright yellow color that took on a slight golden hue when held to the light with three fingers of fluffy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left lots and lots of nice lacing. This is an awesome looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a huge does of hops that dominate the aroma of this beer and impart tons of citrus and tropical fruit aromas, it seems like it's the mango and pineapple that stick out the most. After that comes the malts, they are on the lighter side and impart a medium amount of sweetness with some bread, grain, and cracker like aromas. Towards the end comes a little more fruity hops with some grapefruit sticking out. The aroma is very good, it smells like a tropical fruit basket, I really like it.

The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with loads of hops that are very fruity, there's some mango, grapefruit, and pineapple, but there is also a nice and pretty noticeable peach flavor that goes pretty well with the other fruits and it adds another layer of complexity to this brew. After that comes the malts which have a slight caramel malt flavors to them and impart some grainy and cracker like flavors and have a medium amount of sweetness to them. On the the finish there's a pretty light amount of bitterness that might be the lightest I have found in this style and there's a tropical fruit and light cracker malt like aftertaste. This was a very good tasting beer, it was dominated by fruity hops with not much bitterness, I think someone new to craft beer might mistake this for a Fruit Beer, I'm really enjoying it.

M- Very smooth, a little crisp, slightly oily, medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer and a very good example of the style, while it didn't have the high amount of bitterness I normally find in this style it sure did have all that great fruity hops flavors and aromas, it was very enjoyable beer. This beer had great drinkability, it was very smooth, had tons of great flavors that held my attention, and the low amount of bitterness really helped the drinkability, I could drink quite a few of these when in the mood, fruity hops with out too much alcohol and too much bitterness, yes please! What I like the most about this beer was how awesome the fruity hop profile in this beer was, I don't think I have ever picked up peaches from hops before, I also really liked the appearance, it was really good looking. I would for sure buy this beer again, in fact I will be going back to the store to get at least a six pack, I will be looking forward to the yearly release of this beer and I highly recommend this beer to just about anyone, even if you aren't crazy about hops, you should still give this beer a try. All in all I was very impressed with this beer, it's everything that I hoped it would be and just a little more, it had one of the best hop profiles that I have encountered in a long time. Lagunitas did a kick ass job with this beer and I'm glad I finally got a chance to try it, this is one of the better beers that i have had from them, maybe the best, I was already a fan of Lagunita's but this beer puts them close to being my favorite out of state brewery, great job guys, I can't get enough of this stuff.

01-17-2013 04:51:56 | More by StoutHunter
Ryan011235

4.31/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into an Olde Hickory glass on 1/16/13

Lazy straw-gold color. It's clear with just a hint of a honey-like appearance. One finger cap of off white foam dissipates slowly as a solid ring of lace clings around the inside of the glass.

Oily, tropical hops dominate the aroma with notes of pineapple, peach, mango and grapefruit. There is a sweetish notion, too; reminds me of sweet crackers and sugar beets. Seems pretty well free of alcohol.

Grapefruit bitterness and juiced tropical citrus rake the palate. Lots of peach and some pineapple. hints of pine here and there. The malts profile leans comfortably toward the neutral bread/cracker variety. Works for me.

The feel is oily and coating which makes for a long lasting medium body. Carbonation is lively, mimicking the cracklin' hop profile. I don't find it taste overly boozy, but there is a distinct alcohol heat that rides on the finish.

This is really good stuff. Highly recommended.

01-17-2013 03:48:20 | More by Ryan011235
julian89

Georgia

4.11/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is the first beer I have rated in quite a while. Providedby my buddy Scudder.
Appearance
A hazy wheat yellow color, touch of light red. Nice simple white head that dissipated fairly slowly with a wonderful lacing. An ideal IPA.
Smell
A bright citrus fruity hop aroma. Very crisp.
Taste
Great caramel malt base, light citrusy fruity backing. Pine like hops
Mouthfeel
Light feel, medium body
Drinkability
Decent ipa, very crisp, simple overall

01-17-2013 02:56:39 | More by julian89
JohnnyMc

4.08/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours out a nice, hazy orange/yellow with a thick white head.

The aroma is full of sweeter tropical hop notes, some piney notes and a hint of bready malt notes.

The taste is very, very hop forward with a decent amount of tropical fruit notes; pineapple, peach and some citrus notes like orange. There are some dank and piney hop notes followed by a little bit of bready malt notes. No alcohol taste or even a warming as it goes down.

The mouthfeel is pretty creamy and the body is the lighter side of medium.

This is very easy to drink and is more hop forward and less malt focused which I like in a Imperial IPA. This is a very good example of the style, but I have definitely had better. If you can find this, give it a try.

01-17-2013 00:33:37 | More by JohnnyMc
TeeJay

Tennessee

4.08/5  rDev -6.6%

Bold Tight Crisp Right to the point for this lovely Double IPA

Appearance: Light Pale Copper almost transparent

nose: Citrus Grapefruit Pine Resin Cannabis

Taste: Efficient strait forward light clean not a huge mouth full, I like them to linger a bit more, but a very solid effort.

01-17-2013 00:29:44 | More by TeeJay
PDXHops

South Carolina

4.31/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Growler poured into a Maudite snifter. Bright gold with a fat, puffy head that immediately starts slinging the sticky lace all over. The nose features a blast of mango and pineapple with pine and floral hoppy notes in the background. Stray whiffs of bready malt and booze. And indeed, it's really the moderate booziness that keeps this stuff from being downright chuggable. Impressive oily hop goodness with a bitterness that makes one contemplate how powerful "only" 60-odd IBUs can be with the right malt backbone, which is very lightly toasty and bready in this case. Massive tropical fruitiness with a generous dose of resinous pine. Hints of fresh leafy flavors almost make me think of tobacco now and then.

Exceedingly tasty (D)IPAs don't typically come with an exceedingly reasonable price point. Lagunitas Sucks does, and is a no-brainer for hopheads to try.

Serving type: growler

01-16-2013 23:48:25 | More by PDXHops
bcc1989

3.73/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Very light, golden coloring. Pours with a solid head that dissipates quickly. Visible carbonation that slowly rises.

Smell: Strong citrus smell with a hint of floral and pine notes. Very powerful.

Taste: Taste goes with the nose but leaves a little to be desired. Strong hop attack but doesn't stick around long. Not my favorite version of the style.

Mouthfeel: Very crisp with ok carbonation. Nothing to write home about.

Overall: Not really what I expected from this beer but it is definitely drinkable. Not my favorite but also not the worst beer I've had. Pretty solidly in the middle.

01-16-2013 06:48:14 | More by bcc1989
zac16125

South Carolina

4.04/5  rDev -7.6%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter
no bottled on date

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with just under 1/2 fingers width of bright white colored head. Lighter than most in the style. Leaves a very small amount of lacing.

S: BIG aroma. Lots of dank, resinous, juniper and pine notes. More subtle citrus notes, and some faint pineapple and mango tropical fruit characters. There is a fair amount of hop spice as well. Total hop bomb, I like.

T: Spicy hops up front, followed by piney bitterness. Its rather herbaceous with lots of floral notes. There is also a hint of booze, which is surprising given the relatively low ABV. Some citrus notes as it warms further, mostly lemon zest and orange rind. Touch of mint.

M/D: Very smooth for the style (something that Lagunitas just has mastered in the IPA/IIPA styles), even though the carbonation is on the higher end of the spectrum. On the lighter side of medium bodied, and a touch light for the style, but certainly not thin. Drinkability is excellent.

O: Overall, this is a good beer. Honestly, with all the hype, I was pretty disappointed. Its good, but its no where near the top of the DIPAs Ive had, and its not my favorite Lagunitas beer (I had Hop Stoopid last night, and I think that was better than this one, and Maximus gives it a run for its money in my book as well). Either way though, an enjoyable beer, and Im surely going to have no trouble finishing the 6 pack in a timely manner.

01-16-2013 00:27:41 | More by zac16125
divineaudio

4.44/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle into a tulip. bottled on dec 20th 2012 if i'm reading the code correctly.

a - pours a deep, translucent golden color, just shy of crystal clear. gave me a finger's worth of dense, off white head that calms to a film and leaves huge webs of lacing in the glass.

s - mango, berry, orange citrus, honey, grass.

t - fantastic! light, sweeter citrus with a toasty malt body underneath. i'm getting orange, honey, grapefruit, resin. a moderate, piney bitterness comes in at the end to counter the sweetness. very hop forward without being a tongue bruiser.

m - lighter in body with medium carbonation. medium co2 profile.

o - in a word, amazing. this is one of those beers that disappears from the glass before you know it. if this does indeed become year round, it will be a regular in my fridge.

01-16-2013 00:18:50 | More by divineaudio
beck2008

4.55/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: nice lacing and head, clear brassy golden color

S: very citrusy - lots of tropical fruits, pineapple and orange. A nice west coast ipa

T: Lots of of C hops, very citrusy - tasting orange + pineapple+mango, but very balanced as other reviews have stated. Hops forward (not overwhelming) and malt backbone

M: medium carb, right for the style

Overall: A great offering from Lagunitas. If you like Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale you'll love this too.

01-15-2013 03:33:43 | More by beck2008
JamesMN

4.54/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Almost neon yellow in appearance with stunning clarity and clear streams of effervescence cruising upwards to a one finger eggshell-white head. Looks like it'll leave nice lacing.

Aroma: Pineapple, sweet nectarine, grapefruit, and just a hint of onion (though not nearly as bad as that sounds). Some pale or caramel malt but mostly hops.

Taste: A classic West Coast IPA. The brewers at Lagunitas know their hop strains well. Starts with a blast of bitterness with some malt to it and then transitions into hop flavors of sweet grapefruit, pineapple, and some other tropical fruits that are hard to describe. Finishes decently wet which is a nice change of pace from the usual dry DIPA. I'd call this a juicy IPA, which is somewhat rare to find. It's surprisingly balanced given the lack of much malt flavor (besides a bit of caramel toffee taste). The bitterness is exactly what I'm looking for as a hophead but is never overdone. Actually does have a little bit of onion in the flavor but as with the aroma it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body but feels lighter at times. Smooth carbonation and superb drinkability.

Final Thoughts: Lagunitas Sucks does not suck; it's a delicious beer and one that every IPA lover should have on there 'want' list. Would I drink it again? Yes, very glad I have five more in the fridge.

01-15-2013 02:30:10 | More by JamesMN
lordofthewiens

Maine

4.03/5  rDev -7.8%

In a snifter this beer was gold in color. There was a thick white head and a lot of lace.

Nice aroma. caramel malt. Citrus and herbal hops. Sweet floral aroma

Caramel taste. Grapefruit, apricot. Sweet. A bit of herbal hops.

The beer was nicely balanced and very easy to drink.

I went back the next day for some more.

01-15-2013 02:25:12 | More by lordofthewiens
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

4.18/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12oz Bottle from Total Wine Tampa FL for 2$

Appearance - Clear dark gold colour with a large size fizzy white coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some decent lacing. The head lasted for over 5 minutes.

Smell - Hops, malts, grapefruit, resin, apricot

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste caramel and malts mixed with hops. There is also some grapefruit/oranges mixed with some guava/apricots. It ends with a sugary sweet tropical fruit aftertaste with a medium amount of hop bitterness.

Overall – Really good stuff.. like a beefed up sweeter version of their 'lil sumthin sumthin' - also similar to some of the green flash beers or the sixpoint resin. I think I expected a little more based on reviews, but it's still definitely a beer I'd buy again.

01-15-2013 01:48:55 | More by spinrsx
macrosmatic

4.19/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed from notes. Had at the Independent. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Clear copper with a big white head that fades within a few minutes. Medium amount of visible carbonation. This is a pretty beer, nice lacing throughout.

S: Citrus, melon, spice, and pine hops on the nose, with a bit of bready malt underneath.

T: Follows the nose, with a definite hop bitterness bite at the swallow. The hop profile is nice - not overdone with the melon/spice notes I don't care for. And while the bready malts add sweetness to the beer, there is minimal caramel flavors.

M: Medium to somewhat heavy body, and the alcohol is fairly well-hidden. Good carbonation sensation.

O: This is a tasty beer, and one that I will likely revisit while it's fresh & on the shelves. I'm not quite sure it lives up to the hype, but good nonetheless.

01-14-2013 23:57:31 | More by macrosmatic
tectactoe

4.34/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a pale, golden straw color with a very nice amount of clarity - only a very, very subtle amount of haze in the middle of the beer, but you can definitely see right through this one. Volatile on the pour, producing a gigantic, fluffy white head that lasts seemingly for days and leaves behind some fat lacing.

The aroma is fantastic, a convolution of wonderful hop aromas; light pine, heavy citrus, pineapple, pears, orange zest, and various other tropical fruits. Very juicy and fruity on the nose, broken up only by the slight pine, resin, and leafy notes that play just a bit-part here.

The taste is jam packed with many different things, even some things that weren't so detectable on the nose. Pine and resin are the first thing to hit your palate, but the profile quickly transforms; citrus, pineapple, pears, toast and crackers, buttery bread, slight onion, a touch of herbal tea and a faint hint of alcohol near the finish.

Bitterness is high, but tamed, expected, and welcomed. The malt flavors combine well with the hop profile and turn this beer into a very drinkable IPA. Slightly sweet finish, a bit dry and finishing with a faint bitterness over the fading malt construction. Medium bodied with a heavy dose of carbonation that really snaps the tongue at times.

Delicious beer, right here. Lagunitas knows their way around an IPA (see: Hop Stoopid) and this beer is no exception. A wonderfully fruity nose and a well-balanced body, complete with heavy hop bitterness and dry, bready malt, this IPA is sure to please any hop head. Wish it were more readily available.

01-14-2013 01:50:13 | More by tectactoe
sloany

4.33/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is my first review, so please be gentle.

Bottle to Tulip

A- 1" head quickly dissipates. Medium carbonation. Nice lacing. Copper to orange in color.

S- Wow. Very agressive. Dank, resiny and piney with floral backnotes. What I would expect from a DIPA.

T- Again, Wow. Attacks the palate. Very hop forward with a nice restrained balance of sweetness. Grapefruit up front with a finish of pineapple.

M-A little syrupy. Carbonation does a nice job of distributing flavors across the palate.

O- Nothing subtle about this beer! Big hops all the way through. Bouquet develops nicely throughout (my nose has been stuck in the glass the entire time). All in all, a very nice West Coast DIPA.

Question- Does anyone know the hop profile on this? i'm thinking C's with maybe some Magnum?

01-13-2013 23:15:36 | More by sloany
FanofHefe

4.45/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Clear, light golden body with a 2+ finger white head. Nice retention and smatterings of lacing along the glass.

Solid aroma that jumps out as soon as it is poured. Primarily tropical fruit notes like mango and pineapple dominate the aroma, but there is a light citrus and pine resin note in the background. Not much notice of the malt.

The flavor is just as good as the aroma. Very tasty blend here of rich hop flavors featuring the aforementioned tropical hops. A touch of grapefruit and lemon flavor balances the hop notes. A light malt backbone makes for a nice finish.

The mouthfeel is lighter than I expected for an Imperial brew. But, this drinks more like and IPA to me than a double. Still, a superb beer.

01-13-2013 22:11:44 | More by FanofHefe
mdaschaf

Washington

4.4/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at Uber Tavern. Review from notes.

A: Served in a pint glass, Sucks was a clear golden color with a small white, foamy head on top with great retention and moderate lacing.

S: Extremely tropical, mango, tangerine, orange, lots of citrus in the aroma. Very faint grain malt aroma, but fruit flavors dominate.

T: A great tasting IPA, more tropical fruits - grapefruit, orange, mango, it was great. In the middle there is some fresh grass with minimal bitterness. Overall, extremely juicy. Has a slightly spicy finish.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Extremely drinkable, drinks easier than abv would indicate.

O: Could be the best Lagunitas beer I have had. Would stock this in my fridge all the time.

01-13-2013 21:39:36 | More by mdaschaf