1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
4.58/5  rDev +5%

12 oz. bottle poured into Hop Tulip pint glass. Bottle date of 352 equates to December 17, 2012. Consumed January 6, 2013.

A: Slightly hazy orange. Light carbonation bubbles. Half inch off-white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Fantastic, strong hop aroma. Mostly Lagunitas usual grapefruit. Some pine/resin. Smells like heaven.

T: Potent taste follows the aroma, down half a notch. Grapefruit up front. Some hop bitterness. Not sweet but enough malt to make it pretty well balanced.

M: Medium body. Not heavy at all. Like most Lagunitas brews I get a “sticky” feeling. Slight biting aftertaste which detracts only slightly.

O: Great beer in that range between regular American IPAs and the stronger DIPAs. Definite characteristics consistent with other Laguntias beers (good in my book).

Timmah11, Jan 07, 2013

mweso2000, Jan 07, 2013

random846, Jan 06, 2013

tbone1384, Jan 06, 2013

Mealhouse, Jan 06, 2013

Bobheed, Jan 06, 2013

switzer, Jan 06, 2013
4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a SA perfect pint.

I've always heard a lot of buzz about this but didn't actually know anything about other than it was supposed to be good. So in essence walked out of the store with absolutely no idea what I had bought. Thought it was a bit light when I started to pour and was a bit disappointed as I wasn't in the mood for something subtle. First wiff immediately alleviated my disappointment. Tons of hop character in the nose, predominately citrus tones with some tropical fruits. Taste is what a hop bomb should always be, tons of hop flavor and bitterness but not overdone. Citrusy hops are front and center again with a buttery malt sweetness holding it all together. Mouthfeel is about what you would expect for the style and the alcohol is well hidden. Always happy to try a beer that actually lives p to then hype.

alli4051, Jan 06, 2013

Type: Draft
Glass: Mason jar
From: Ciro’s Pizza in Pacific Beach (San Diego, Calif.), on Jan. 4, 2013
Price: $6.50
Misc.: As part of Lagunitas Tap Takeover Night at Ciro’s Pizza on Jan. 4, 2012; Got to keep the Lagunitas mason jar

Poured a golden orange color with one finger of white head when I got it. Good circular lacing on the sides all the way down. Average-to-above average retention on the top.

Holy bitter hops on the nose! Got healthy doses of pine, citrus (grapefruit, lemon) and floral hops. Also some resin. Very flavorful, definitely the best part of the beer.

Tasted bitter grapefruit hops right from the beginning, but not too lingering. Sweet floral taste as well. Also orange pulp. Reminded me a lot of the Daytime IPA.

Light body. Oily texture. Average carbonation. Bitter finish.

I really, really liked this beer. Nice and smooth and would love to have it again. Well done Lagunitas.

BucannonXC5, Jan 05, 2013

woodchipper, Jan 05, 2013
4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

The only thing this brew is lacking is a bit of clarity.. Brew is nice tan orange color with thick, large, white, foamy head.

Super interesting and unique. Super pine, resinous, sticky, marijuana, stinky, nice aroma. Much like Gubna, but more well rounded.

Nice, smooth, sweet, no bitterness, piney, sticky, perfect medium-high carbonation, refreshing, crisp, buttery, well done.

Well worth the anticipation and hype. Glad I grabbed two six-packs of sucks at the LQ. Highly recommended, especially @ $2.50/12oz.

chugalug06, Jan 05, 2013

tdmccarthy, Jan 05, 2013

Newbiebeer, Jan 05, 2013

caseyscarb, Jan 05, 2013

PackerBacker, Jan 05, 2013
4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

Finally hit the shelves. No clear bottled on or enjoy by date, but these should be pretty fresh. Not really sure what to think going in to this beer, although it got pretty high user scores I'm a bit skeptical of a dipa at 63 ibus, almost 8% abv though. Anyway, 12oz bottle to a snifter

Pours a clear gold with a little over a finger of foam. Mild carbonation stemming from the middle of the glass, alright retention and good lacing.

Was able to smell the hops as soon as I broke the seal of the cap. Now this is a good smelling ipa. Dank acrid hops really stand out and outshine, smells close to how a triple ipa would. Heavy grape fruit and citrus, pine needles and some tropical fruit. Modest malt comes though with a hint of alcohol. This is a very impressive smelling beer

Taste comes through pretty strong with bitter hops followed by grapefruits and other citrus, finishing with a subtle sweet malt. Alcohol is nearly undetectable, and everything comes together nicely. Taste wasn't quite as strong as the aroma had me hoping, but this is a definite hop bomb.

Feel is medium bodied with a dry finish. Stronger bitterness than I was expecting given the ibus leave a nice burning tingle on the tongue. Very sticky and smooth with a small amount of heat, pretty drinkable but not something you want to drink a whole lot of in a single session

Overall I was really surprised at how much I liked this. Very rich and balanced and easily clearing the bar of a world class double ipa. Really hard to believe this is only $9 a six pack, will definitely be stocking up on this on my next trip to total wine

lordofstarside, Jan 05, 2013
4.58/5  rDev +5%

looks above average. Very golden in color, not orange or amber to be found. Nice lacing and legs though. Looks nice.

Smells like Lagunitas, that nice house profile. Smells just like their IPA and their SUMPIN SUMPIN as well. It's that perfect balance between pine needle and citrus.

Incredibly smooth, just as a I remember. This is one of those beers where, one time it tastes very PINY and the next day it tastes very citrusy. It's just very balanced. A touch of rye bitterness on the back end, but it somehow compliments the beer very well. It lingers nicely!

I think I liked this one better last year, but I did get a whole case. Let's see how my taste buds react next time.

raynmoon, Jan 05, 2013

Davihaw, Jan 05, 2013
4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Fresh bottles. Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

I remember this brew fondly from last year, and I'm surprised I didn't review it then.

Pours a crystal clear yellow- surprising look for a DIPA. No haze whatsoever. Thin white regenerating head.

Big melon aroma, right at the crack of the top. A little bit of earthiness as well. Potent aroma, with no booze detected.

The flavor is huge, and very much Lagunitas's style. Big flavor, sizable ABV, but very little noticeable booze in the flavor. But otherwise, this beer is big and bitter. Lots of melon and grassyness, consistent with the aroma. Just a touch of sweetness at the back end, but this is a dry, unbalanced bitter hop bomb on the whole.

Nice, chewy mouthfeel. For how meek the beer looks, the flavor and mouthfeel are impressive.

Just a fantastic brew. It's not quite big or complex enough to justify the DIPA style, but a wonderful beer nonetheless. Not necessarily sessionable at this ABV, but I could kill a six pack in a couple hours with buddies. God, I hope they make this year-round.

stonermouse, Jan 05, 2013
4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

2012 12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours an orangey/pineapple juicy color. Hardly see through it, even though its light in color. Fluffy white head, with very nice lacing. Its a unique looking beer.

S: Holy shit, dank citrusy pine smell. Most citrus smelling beer I have come across. Touch of lemon zest in there as well. Really shines onthe aroma.

T: MMmmm. Zesty pine, citrus taste coming in strong. Strong bitter finish. Biscuty bread feel as well. Almost can snap this one.

M: Resin sticky dry finish. Medium bodied and perfect amount of carbonation.

O: Lagunitas nailed it. While I don't really love their standard IPA, Maximus and Sucks stand out to me. They shine on the shelf full of IPAs. Do yourself a favor and try this beer, it's excellent.

CommanderOfAwesome, Jan 05, 2013

elec, Jan 05, 2013
4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours an orange marmalade, tangerine color. Lots of fluffy white head. It recedes to leave nice lacing.

Tangerine and citrus notes. Slight pine. Not much malt on the nose. I have always liked Lagunits IPAs. Great smelling.

Tastes like a great IPA. Orange, citrus, a little dank pine. In the sweet spot for IIPA. Not too much malt. Not too syrupy.

Nice mouthfeel. To me finished fairly dry. quite a bit of carbonation.

Great example for the style. Lagunitas sure does IPAs well. Kinda scary how easy this drinks for nearly 8 percent. Could drink quite a few with very little effort.

Powderhornphil, Jan 05, 2013