Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%

4.34/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz single bottle poured into a DFH snifter... looking forward to getting one of their new "IPA" glasses - they look pretty cool. Anyhow...

A: Pours a slightly hazed orange gold; a pour down the center yields about a finger of sugary white head that leaves some nice patches of lace.

S: Herbal, sugary hops; there's some tropical citrus and resin in there, too; this one has a little stank on it, plus some light malt aroma - not much... maybe almond skin - kind of interesting... Hops are the primetime players, though.

T: Big resinous hop taste, right off the bat; some mild malt flavor (cracker) sweetens things a touch, but again - this is hophead territory for the most part. There's just a touch of alcohol on the end that takes away from everything, but that's OK.

M: Medium-full body; high carbonation; a touch oily; what every IPA should aspire to be!

O: I'm not sure if I'd put this into DIPA territory or not... It toes the line between big, hoppy American IPA and DIPA - kind of a toss up depending on the scale of your lupulin threshold. Plus, the lower abv at 7.85% leans it slightly toward "single" IPA. Anyway, this is great beer. Quite delicious and drinkable - next time I'll get a sixer.

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

3.88/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into a snifter

A pale golden color with some deeper orange hues. A thin, foamy off-white cap rose about a finger and fell quickly. Some patches of foam with a thin collar around the edges stay behind.

The nose is more subtle than I expected. A fairly subdued nose of oranges, pineapple, mango, apricot, and pine. A slightly biscuity malt backbone holds firm.

Malt hits first with tropical fruits quickly in tow....not in a burst, but rather a subtle slide onto the palate. I get some residual sweetness from the malt that is accentuated by the juicy fruits.

On the lighter side of medium with good carbonation. Light lingering sweetness.

I have to admit that this severly underwhelmed me. I expect my 4.4 rated DIPA's to blast me in the face with hops. This guy is really tame...perhaps too well-balanced...for my true enjoyment. I liked this beer, don't get me wrong, but I kept looking at it, hoping it would grab me and it never did.

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%

4.04/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Had this one on draft where freshness always seems assured. It is a hop blast, what can I say. Almost felt like drinking cannabis mixed with OJ. The hoppiness dominates the beer a little too much, but tis all the rage I guess. Good to get it nice and fresh though and it is a fine beer.

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle from six pack purchased in the greater Washington D.C. area, poured into a 16 oz. pint glass, no birth date, drank 2/6-7/13 over several hours.

A: 4.5 - clearer than most for style (no hop haze), straw/yellow-orange color, 1 finger head lingered for >2 hours and remained with rim lacing, slight alcohol legs

S: 4.75 - fantastic flame-out aroma of tropical fruit (pineapple, mango and lychee...reminds me of NZ hops?) with developing pine, resin-y, Simcoe/Columbus/Centennial dankness as warms...definitely my favorite aspect of this beer!

T: 4.5 - quick punch of bitterness on the tip of the tongue that quickly slaps the taste buds into the tropics...take me back to Hawaii, slight booziness

M: 4.5 - bready but not too thick/sticky on the tongue, appropriate for style and allows the hop aroma and flavor to shine

O: 4.5 - probably one of the best bargains on the market for a DIPA (<$10/sixer in the greater Washington D.C. area) , which was only accentuated by comparing it side-by-side with (the ridiculously overpriced) Bell's Hopslam; Sucks clearly won this tropical fruit challenge for me.

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Amber in color with just the slightest haze. Poured out with two fingers of "peaches n' cream" colored head. I could decorate my house with the draping lacing in the glass.

S: Bursting full of pine, apricots, mango, and grapefruit.

T: Heavy on pine, with tart lemon and grapefruit flavors, along with subtle hints of the apricots and mangoes from the nose.

M: Medium body with medium carbonation. Nice balance.

O: I didn't know what to think before trying this one. Lagunitas has been a mixed bag for me. As soon as I opened it, I knew this beer was going to be amazing. A good smelling beer is like a pheromone, and the taste matched it's wonderful smell.

4.41/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Light tangerine gold color. Large, light, foamy, bubbly, sticky, white head. Average retention leaving a slight ring of lace.

S - Nice citrusy orange and tangerine hops. Hints of tropical fruit, especially pineapple. Hints of pine resin. Clean, biscuity/biscotti malt aroma. Slightly sweet and juicy.

T - Very balanced IPA that is similar to the nose. Fresh hoppy flavor to start with a fairly bitter pine and orange rind flavor. Very green and slightly weedy flavor. Nice, clean malt backbone throughout with a slight sweetness. Near the finish there is a nice fruity blast. Finishes clean, bitter, and with a slight tang.

M - Medium body with above average carbonation. Crisp, zesty, and lively.

D - Very balanced IPA. Alcohol is very well hidden. Exceptionally drinkable and quite refreshing with a nice clean finish. Great mix of bitter and sweet and very fresh tasting.

Notes: Really nice IPA (I don't really see it as a double but whatever). Balanced and quite refreshing. Nice mix of different hoppy flavors, but what really made this nice was just how fresh the hop flavors were and how it jumped out at you. Great clean, slightly sweet, malt backbone that allowed that to happen. Worth picking up a sixer.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company