Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

4.31/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Nice clear copper with 1 finger head poured into a pint glass.

S: Great aroma. Lots of super amount of pine and citrus. This is the best part of the beer.

T: Not as bitter as I would like for IIPA. But def very smooth. I wish this had as much taste as it does smell. More of an tangerine/melon/lime with a little bit of resinous taste on the backend.

M: Nice feel on the tongue with a good amount of body. Well carbonated.

O: This seems more like an IPA to me than a double. Could have used more hop bitterness up front. I do like the backend a lot. Still a very solid beer. I see how lots of people could enjoy this beer because its mod bitterness and smooth easily drinkability.

4.37/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Got the last 6 pack of this available at Ray's Stateline in Pelham NH.

A ~ Good golden color with a half finger head that slowly dissipates but retains a decent lacing around the glass.

S ~ Great smell, grapefruit, some hops, maybe a little pine in there as well.

T ~ Tastes similar to the smell, grapefruit and maybe some other citrus fruit up front and a strong hoppy finish. Pretty good taste but it tastes a little strong for the 7.85 ABV, not as well balanced as other IPA's with an ABV over 9.

M ~ Well carbonated, full bodied, no complaints in this department.

O ~ I would buy this again, its got a good hop backbone in there and some fruitiness as well. also I think I only spent 11 or 12 on a 6 pack, which isn't bad at all for an Imperial IPA.

2.5/5  rDev -42.5%

4.66/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On an adventurous whim I purchased some Sam Adams IPL at my local package store. The next day I went back to exchange the 5 that I hadn't drunk because it was that bad. Luckily the owner of the store is great and offered me some Lagunitas SUCKS for my trouble.

I was not disappointed with this one. I am a sucker for highly carbonated and grapefruit hoppy goodness. This one succeeded on both counts. As other reviewers have said, it would be difficult to get past one or two of these in a sitting. But in my opinion that is one high quality sit that you'll be having. Strong enough for a cold winter night, but would be equally as enjoyable grill side. Can't wait for the next 6pack.

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I like Brown Shugga so this better be good. Here goes....

A: Poured a beautiful 2 finger white head that slowly settled to a thick crown adorning the edges of the glass. Beer is a hazy golden, orange copper color. The frothy head lends itself to copious amounts of lacing. Up and down the glass she goes. Retention is stand-out. Appearance nears perfection.

S: What...what's that smell? I'm just poured it but I'm all the way across the room. Did my wife buy some hop resin glade plug-ins? No..hmm...wait...it's the BEER! Super piney with powdered sugar, honeydew, and citrus.

T: The hop resin is interwoven through the tapestry of other flavors. You won't forget this is a DIPA. Let's go for a ride. Body is comprised of cracker malt, dry biscuit, rock candy, honeydew, and HOPS. The tail end is an explosion of pure tangerine and honeysuckle.

M: Slightly sticky without being overbearing. Bubbly carbonation. I would have liked to see a little more body in the way it envelops in the mouth.

O: I tried to fault this beer, I really did. But I can't. Look out boys and girls, there's a new sheriff in town. In hindsight, I think this year's batch was exceptional compared to previous years.

4.74/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

copper color, citrus notes with aroma, lots of pine with taste, good level of hops up front. Lingering bitterness and pine aftertones. Very drinkable and I hope this one will be available year round as per recent rumors. this will go down as one of my favorite ipas that is readily accessible to me. AT least thus far...

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Lagunitas sucks pours a bright gold with a decent white head. The aroma is herbal, tropical and citrusy hops with no hint of bitterness. Citrus and tropical hops dominate the flavor as well, but there is tons of pale malt sweetness. The bitterness is surprisingly light probably partially due to the sweetness. Overall the hop flavor is hard to beat, and the sweetness and lack of bitterness make it extremely drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%

4.76/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours clear copper with a three finger, slightly off-white head. Left small amounts of lacing.

S - A huge, and absolutely perfect amount of pine, followed by tangerine and grapefruit.

T - Tangerines and a heavy amount of pine up front, followed by loads and loads, and fucking loads of pine resin. This thing tastes like a This One Goes to Eleven. And it's inbelieveably smooth. The balance is also so beautiful that I might cry.

M - Medium creamy body with light to medium carbonation.

O - This beer is too damn easy for 7.85%. It's delicious in every way, But it is not a Maxiumus.

3.92/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured from a bottle (which appears shorter than pictured here) into a Delirium tulip at low altitude in NY.

A: Pours a translucent, relatively dark gold color with a creamy one- to two-finger milk white head of good retention. Carbonation bubbles float slowly around the glass. A good deal of lacing here as well.

S: Tropical fruit hops are front and center here -- passion fruit comes to mind for me. There's a bit of resinous pine in the background as well. Juicy.

T: Delicious tropical fruit hops come through up front, followed by a more piney finish. There's not too much malt body to balance here -- you'll taste each of the 63.21 IBUs. In my opinion, this beer lacks the balance that sets the best DIPAs apart.

M: Medium- to full-bodied with a relatively viscous mouthfeel that fits the flavors. Well-carbonated.

O: This beer is definitely worth trying, especially if you're not averse to bitterness. Enjoyable overall, but not as balanced as it could be. Would be difficult to drink more than one bottle of this in a session.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company