Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
MFauver35

05-13-2012 00:18:05 | More by larbush
Veristic

Tennessee

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Holiday Leftovers Ale poured into a tulip, consumed on 2/1/12.

A- Golden amber with vibrant yellow-gold highlights. One finger white head dissipates to a nice thin blanket that persists fairly well due to a steady stream of co2 arising. Good lacing. Good carbonation. Excellent clarity.

S- Fairly strong, pleasing aroma. Aroma is hops centric with a slight sweetness. Hops profile is fruity with some tropical notes and light citrus, white grapefruit. Just a tinge of alcohol as it warms. There is an aroma in there that I can't quite identify or put into words, maybe herbal??

T- Nice, fairly tame bitterness. Grapefruit, pine, citrus with a balancing malt backbone. Fairly well balanced but still leaning toward the hop profile for sure. Finishes with a lingering bitterness and a tinge of alcohol. An unplanned belch reveals some pleasant orange rind, nice!

M- Medium-high carbonation, medium body

O- The first thing that I noticed was the aroma during the pour from about 2 feet away. One of only a few beers I can remember smelling during the pour. Definitely a solid above average beer. I hope they don't leave this as a one-off as I think this is much better than their IPA but I have not yet had their Hop Stoopid to compare.

05-12-2012 04:05:10 | More by Veristic
standardcherry

05-11-2012 07:39:09 | More by standardcherry
RblWthACoz

Very piney and oily nose. Lots of hops on there. Flavor carries hearty and syrupy hop character. I think that's what really defines this one: thick and syrupy. It's a good ale as it's consistent and well done and very Lagunitas in execution. Worth trying.

05-09-2012 05:23:55 | More by RblWthACoz

05-04-2012 09:44:34 | More by PluckyDucky
Jadjunk

Georgia

3.75/5  rDev -14%

I picked up this as part of the Lagunitas Holiday Leftovers Pack Re-Release at Green's in Five Points, Atlanta. I had some over the holiday season and first impressions were quite good, especially for a beer that is acting as a "substitute" for something that is very popular. I have a couple more chilling in the fridge. I think it's time to finish them.

Poured from a 12 oz. short bottle to a pint glass. Served at 45º Fahrenheit in a 16oz. snifter.

(Appearance) A ferocious pour yields a 2 finger-depth very frothy and thick off-white head with caked on icing draping the sides of the glass as it slowly recedes. Head retention is very good, as it recedes the remaining head thickens, forming an attractive sea foam surface cover before thinning out. Color is a hazy gold orange, almost peach tone in places. Carbonation is moderate in the center of the glass. A nearly flawless appearance. 4.5

(Smell) Bright and bold piney and citrusy hop aromas (grapefruit and orange, mostly) overlay an aggressive pale and somewhat spicy malt background. While both are discernible in large traces, the hops really shine through the most in the aroma, a bit faded with time, that slight musty aroma is coming through joined with a bit of exposed alcohol hotness but it's still largely potent and crisp, fruity and lifelike. It's one of my favorite aromas in an IPA, and very inviting and enjoyable. Potency is high, as it should be. Overall an inviting aroma for an otherwise busy style. 4

(Taste) Tastes are hoppy throughout; a mild crisp citrusy introduction leads through to a piney and alcohol-laden finish. It is quite hot with alcohol on the tongue. Malts are a bit low to back up the hop character, taking a back seat to the whole thing. It needs a bit more malt character to bring a body to the brew and shadow some of this booze. I recall this tasting quite better in earlier days, which likely means this has not fared well with time, but still manages to impress with the hop charisma and bold bitter ending. Regardless, my opinion is solid, with some work that should be done to increase drinkability of this beer. If you're into bitter (and hot) DIPAs, this one will fit you best. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) As before mentioned, it's quite hot in points, with a ton of alcohol discernible in the finish. Carbonation is moderate, keeping this beer at a frothy consistency, a carbonation level that I would agree is ideal for the style. Body is low/medium, but should be increased a bit to compensate for the hop flavors and textures. Alcohol presence is high. While carbonation is well done, the body needs to be tweaked a bit to balance out this busy brew. 3.5

(Overall) This is certainly a one-at-a-time brew for me for so many reasons. While I loved the flavorful and bitter hop characters, I had conflicts with the remote malt bill and the harsh alcohol presence which really led to the beer being a slow-drinker. While I certainly recommend this should it come around again next year, I suggest Lagunitas make many tweaks to the recipe so that it will be truly balanced and exceptional DIPA offering next holiday season. To buyers, I recommend that you drink it while its as fresh as possible or regret lots of flavor and enjoyment lost as a result! 4

Lagunitas Brewing Company's
Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale
3.75/5.00

05-04-2012 03:11:35 | More by Jadjunk
uturn

05-03-2012 22:52:03 | More by uturn
hoody711

4.78/5  rDev +9.6%

One of my favorite beers, so probably a biased review. However, should be offset by the fact that it's 4 months old. We'll see.

A - vigorous pour into a pint glass yields a beautiful golden orange, very nice clarity, faint carbonation, and about a pinky's worth of head that settles quickly and is leaves good, but not great, lacing.

S - besides my most favoritest of beers, this is the best smell a beer can have. Smells distinctly of Lagunitas hops - grapefruit, slightly orange, slightly sweet. A little resiny.

T - dear God. How do they make it so, so good? Even after four months, the taste that made me, literally, get back in my car and drive to buy a case worth is still there. Malty sweetness with citrus and piney bitterness chasing. Absolutely amazing.

M - light to medium, nice carbonation. The bitterness lingers but I get almost no alcohol burn. If anything is lacking in this brew, it's the mouth feel, which is still good, just not as spectacular as the other aspects.

O - Holy Lord is it good! This is the beer that made me realize the boys in Petaluma know what the F they're doing. I'd only tried their IPA before buying this, and since have tried everything they put out. Thank you Sucks, for opening my world up to the glory of Lagunitas. I am forever indebted.

05-03-2012 16:53:31 | More by hoody711
JasonB

05-02-2012 06:41:53 | More by JasonB
olympicgatorade

05-01-2012 21:07:36 | More by olympicgatorade
Philousa

3.03/5  rDev -30.5%

Imbibed on 4/24/2012. I mention this because it is a double IPA that could have been fresher, though I don't think it would have changed my review much.

Poured a clear orange color with a light, airy head. Lacing is noticeable. Malt is very prevalent. Cereal, orange blossom sweetness. The hops are subdued for a Lagunitas brew. They're there but it's not a wallop like it could have been. Good malt backbone comes through in the taste. Orange prevalent again, a good amount of citrus with a bit of zest. Little hop flavor, somewhat grassy. Not too bitter for the IBUs. Subtle. I just called a Lagunitas beer subtle. Wow.

This reminded me of Two Hearted a lot. The malt is similar to TH, but it has more meat on its bones. I was expecting the hops to play a bigger role and I feel that the malt was a bit too thick and overpowering for my taste. Good, but I didn't go bananas over it. Also, it doesn't really profile as a DIPA.

05-01-2012 04:04:12 | More by Philousa