Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

Yoopermk, Jan 24, 2013

SBoyar1, Jan 24, 2013
4.28/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I really appreciate that Lagunitas put out a quality substitute for the Brown Shugga. I know most people look forward to the Shugga, and they went over the top with this replacement.

I poured this beer into a tulip glass. There was about two and a half fingers of foam that stuck really well to the glass. I like the lacing from this one. The golden coloring is perfect for a DIPA.

I really enjoy the significant amount of pine coming off the top of this one. It is very refreshing to breathe this in. I found that it is reminiscent of the clean smell from the Double Simcoe by Weyerbacher.

The flavor is, of course, very hoppy. You really get more of the pine release in each sip. Lagunitas lists hops twice in the ingredients, and it makes sense when you get a taste.
I was surprised that there wasn't more bitterness in this one.

I really want to try the Brown Shugga eventually, but I am really happy with this one while I can get it.

ummswimmin, Jan 24, 2013

Steve_Oldrati, Jan 24, 2013
4.76/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle on 1/24/13

A: Beer pours a deep amber with luscious two finger eggshell head.

S: Caramelized malts, Tropical fruits, various citrus fruits, some pine and resin. The aroma is DUMB awesome. A must sniff for serious hopheads

T: A great balance between clean hop bitterness and caramelized malt sweetness. Truly a wonder.

M: Excellent carbonation, contributes to the hop development within this beer.

Overall- I cannot think of another IPA in the 7-8% abv range that is this good. I have been waiting for it to come back out and boy did Lagunitas nail it. Way to go folks.

InlandTaipan, Jan 24, 2013

BKBassist, Jan 24, 2013

PaBeerLover, Jan 24, 2013

Conniehophead, Jan 24, 2013

CitizenGrain, Jan 24, 2013

DerekMorgan, Jan 24, 2013
4.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served from a 12oz bottle into a Grey Sail pint glass.

Appearance- Nice clear golden color with a light quick head. Nice lacing around the rim.

Smell- Fruity hops. Piney aromas and grassy smells. Slight maltiness. Great smelling IPA.

Taste- Hops. Floral/fruity hops, with some pineiness. Light citrus notes with no alcohol.

Mouthfeel- Perfectly carbonated. Not resinous. Smooth. No ABV detection.

Overall- This is an almost perfect IPA. I'd like it to be a bit more resinous though. Damn good beer from Lagunitas!

Seanniek91, Jan 24, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -13.8%

mishtif, Jan 24, 2013

ChrisKayler, Jan 24, 2013
4.28/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Big thanks to jzeilinger for bringing this one for me to try. This poured out as a nice looking orange color with a white head on top. The head settles a little bit but leaves a really nice sticky lacing on the glass. The smell of the beer is ripe with citrus notes and some addition pine in there. It smells like a DIPA for sure, and a good one at that! The taste of the beer is hoppy with the citrusy pine notes with some subtle caramel malts in the finish. The mouthfeel is nicely carbonated and has an oily feel to it while remaining lighter bodied. Overall I thought it was a killer beer, probably best when it's fresh and I believe this was.

Knapp85, Jan 24, 2013