Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

4.09/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had at Boulevard Tavern in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

A. It is a dark goldish, light brown color. It has a good deal of bubbles and a big foamy white head that leaves behind a good deal of lacing.

S. Very hoppy and spicy.

T/M. It is quite hoppy with a kind of pine spiciness underneath. Some citrus flavor. It is quite carbonated. Medium bodied. A milt malt taste.

O. To be honest, I found it to be very similar to the Lagunitas IPA, with a hint more of spice. And that's a good thing, because I love that brew. Very good.

4.7/5  rDev +8%

4.24/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The Beers of California

#60

Bottled Date: None

A: Golden orange with amber highlights and an off white head which towers after a moderate pour into my glass. The pillow of foam lasts leaving a bubble cling on the glass.

S: Fresh and aromatic with hops coming though strong as pine, citrus, and tropical on a soft cracker-caramel malt base. The malt is soft and sugar with and edge of burned grain.

T: The freshness of the hops hit the tip of the tongue as pine, citrus rind and faint pineapple with a nugget of dank which quickly transitions to a warming, earthy bitterness and biting coriander spiciness. The malt foundation is of crackers, burnt hay, and grain topped with caramel and honey which is stressed to the brink of collapse.

M: The feel is moderate and chewy with a nice hop oil linger which coats the mouth. The carbonation is supportive adding interest while not being overbearing.

O: It's all about the hops here but Lagunitas' "cereal medley" adds subtlety and complexity which elevates the palate. The unique personality of Sucks is intriguing but ultimately I need more fruit to balance the earthiness and bitterness in this brew. Sucks finally hit stores in the Los Angeles area and I am both grateful and honored to finally experience this Imperial IPA.

4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 12/19/2012. Pours lightly hazy golden amber color with a nice 2 finger dense and fluffy white head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice dense foamy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of big grapefruit, orange zest, orange rind, tangerine, pineapple, lemon zest, floral, grass, light pine, and earthy hops. Fantastic aromas with great hop complexity, balance, and strength. Taste of big grapefruit, orange zest, orange rind, tangerine, pineapple, lemon zest, pine, floral, honey, grass, and herbal hop earthiness. Good amount of piney citrus bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus zests, citrus rind, pineapple, floral, pine, grass, honey, and herbal hop earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Fantastic hop complexity, with a nice malt balance supporting the big hops; and zero cloying flavors present after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a lightly creamy and very smooth mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a fantastic IPA. Great hop complexity with nice malt balance; and very smooth to sip on. A highly enjoyable offering as expected.

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into tulip.

A - Clear brilliant copper with a large dense white head.

S - Pungent grapefruit, pine, and earthy hops - exactly what I would expect from an awesome DIPA. Just a tad of caramel malt sweetness.

T - Intense waves of grapefruit and piney hops throughout, supported by a light caramel malt backbone. Light citrus notes and fresh mango evident. Finishes bitter with strong earthy hops and a lingering subtle breadiness.

M - Smooth, crisp, a bit sticky. Medium bodied. Dry finish.

O - A superb IPA. Glorious hops dominate from start to finish. A light caramel sweetness lends a little balance. Alcohol is masked well. I appreciate the low price point, considering the high quality. This is up there with the best of em.

4.6/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've finally gotten familiar enough with this beer to the point where I'm comfortable writing a review for it. For the attention-challenged readers on this site, I'll just say that this is kind of an amazing IPA. If you're a fan of hoppy beers, go forth and purchase in large quantities.

I got acquainted with this beer during my roadtrip to California. I had it fresh and it was pretty amazing back then. It was one of the most unique IPAs I'd had in a long time. The hop profile essentially consisted of ripe tropical fruits with a certain bit of "zing" to it, mango especially. The malt profile is... there, I guess, but it's almost unnoticeable, due to it being a perfectly balanced beer. It's not too astringent and it's never too malty, regardless of temperature.

I think what gave me a new appreciation for this beer, however, was when I had it after a Ninkasi Tricerahops Double IPA. I'd already had two bottles of Sucks prior to opening the Tricerahops (I was getting re-acquainted ok) and after that bomber was done, I decided it'd be a great idea to open another bottle of Sucks. To my amazement, Sucks not only held up to the Tricerahops, it actually overpowered it. It tasted exactly the same as it had prior to having the Ninkasi. That's the mark of an amazing beer, especially since Tricerahops had the upper hand in ABV and IBUs (supposedly -- definitely didn't taste like 100 of 'em).

Basically, friends, this is a beer that needs to be enjoyed as often as possible and as fresh as possible. I only hope that BC breweries make something of this caliber in the next five years. That'd be fairly desirable.

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

4.6/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A golden beer with good clarity. A good head stand of mostly creamy, compact bubbles with a few big ones as well. The head is persistent

S: The huge citrus hops aroma ranks right up there with some of the best that I've had like Heady Topper, Ithaca IPA and Hoptimum. The hops aroma is strongly of citrus, pineapple and some mango along with a moderate herbaceous note from the dry hopping. There is a moderately light malt sweetness and a light alcohol aroma.

T: A very strong hops bitterness with a whole lot of hop flavor that reflects the aroma with strong citrus and pineapple moderate mango and grassy notes. The malt gives a clean, moderately-light sweetness. The balance is very bitter but not aggressively so. The finish is dry and the aftertaste is of a lingering hops bitterness.

M Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a bit of creaminess.

O: One heck of Double IPA, just a work of art. A happy, hoppy accident for certain!

4.3/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: This is a good looking beer. Deep translucent gold with about a finger's worth of head. Tight bubbles, nice lacing.

S: It has a nice floral nose, though perhaps a little bit more subdued than I might expect from a West Coast DIPA of this caliber. I am definitely getting a nice whiff of grapefruit here.

T: Standard DIPA-style bitterness. Not too overwhelming, but definitely noticeable right away. Not too much going on in the way of aftertaste. I feel like this has all the right ingredients, but the composition is slightly muddled.

M: This is probably my least favorite part of this beer. A little too much weight and a little too much viscosity (not words you typically think for this type of beer). It just doesn't go down as smoothly as one might hope.

O: It might not be mind-blowing, but it is a high-end DIPA for sure. This is a beer which has grown on me---each has been better than the last. Definitely worth going out of your way for, though you might not have to now that it is going to be year round.

4.29/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip. This one pours a clear golden straw color with about an inch of white head. Little bit of sticky lace.

The aroma starts of with grapefruit and mango. Hints of pine in the background. Mango and pine on the pallet with some hints hints of bready malt in the background.

The body is medium with sharp carbonation. A bit dry on the finish.

Overall this one is great. Easily one of the best IPAs I've had in a while.

4.63/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Snagged a fresh (1/10/2013) 12 oz. from a local bottle shop in Charlotte, NC. Poured into my OMB pokal.

A: It poured a beautiful golden amber color with a nice, fluffy white head. The 1" head receded down a bit as I finished pouring the bottle.

S: Huge dank hop frangrance; mango, pineapple, orange/citrus notes hit like a punch in the face. I'm also getting a little onion/garlic in the mix too. You know almost instantly that you've dealing with a Lagunitas IPA.

T: The citrusy/tropical hops attack (in a good way) your taste buds with the addition of some sticky malt. It's honestly so hop forward, but so incredibly balanced. Delicious is a true understatement. Awesome representation of a west coast style IPA.

M: Fairly light mouthfeel without a crazy amount of carbonation. It's sticky yes, but goes down quite easily. It's the kind of IPA you could literally gulp down.

O: A remarkably delicious, full flavored balanced west coast IPA that blew me away in all aspects. At $9.99 (found it for $8.99 on sale) a six pack it's a no-brainer.

4.65/5  rDev +6.9%

Clear bright golden hue with an orange tinge with a finger of bright white sticky head. Sweet tropical fruits on the nose, juicy pineapple, summer fruit bowl, grapefruit, raw hop leaf, touches of papaya.

Incredibly fruit and incredibly balanced. Sweet juicy hop profile upfront complimented by a faint malt body letting the hops shine. Raw hop oil slick over the back of the tongue, medium body lets a touch of bitterness climb up the back of the tongue and the right amount of malt balances the bitterness. Very faint alcohol heat on the finish with gum sticking hop flavor. Tropical hop balance, incredibly smooth with great drink ability, I like it.

Food and warming brings out piney and herbal earthy hop flavors in this beer.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company