Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance- golden amber with thin lacing

Smell- floral hops, a cascade attack with light sweet undertones

Taste- mild malt sweetness, hop bitterness well balanced, alcohol warmth well hidden

Mouthfeel- medium bodied, smooth on the palate

Overall- great pizza beer and stands stong on its own. Well worth another 6 pack.

4.29/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Definitely has a "juicy" aroma to it...very citric heavy....just jumps out at the nose. Citra hops?? Simcoe?? Not sure...I'm not very good with that. But I love this.

Taste really is more of the same...nice tropical and citrus hop goodness is very evident in tandem. There isn't a lot of malt to this one, but I do notice a bit of spicy biscuit there as well. Despite how heavy this one is on its hop flavor, it doesn't finish ridiculously bitter with a lot of lingering. Very clean....very nice.

I'm pleased to have finally tried this, and I know now we have a great DIPA here in my own backyard I can buy that I wasn't aware of before.

4.66/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle in to a pint glass , golden colored very clear beer , minimal head with not a lot of lacing. A few carbonation bubbles rising to the top

Smell is very hoppy , not a lot of citrus detected by me , more earthy and piney smells with that deem generic hop smell you get from most pellet hops , not a bad thing , smells wonderful to me

Mouthfull is about right on for the style , not too strong not too weak , just about perfect

The taste is like opening up a fresh bag of hops and taking a pull , hop forward and finishes with the hops for me also , not a lot of malt or alcohol flavor or taste in there , just enough to know its there but the hops prevail here

Over all this is a great beer , well worth the 200 miles I drove round trip to pick it up , will be going back next week to pick up two cases of this stuff

4.04/5  rDev -7.1%

Bottle to snifter.

A: Looks like a DIPA to me. Medium copper--check, hazy--check, off-white head--double-check.

S: Giant grapefruit note right up front, hops all around. Haven't smelled anything this nice in a while.

T: Piney hops front to back, a thin blanket of bready malt underneath. Was hoping for more of the tropical fruit flavors that the aroma promised. Still good though.

M: Creamy and not-too-heavy, not-too-light, as a DIPA should be.

O: Maybe not what it was hyped to be, but a solid DIPA. I'll still be buying my Unearthly and Hopslam.

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%

4.57/5  rDev +5.1%

big hit of bitter on first taste; mellows

hop bomb...don't taste something less after this beer; Palate Buster

huge long lasting head

tropical: tangerine, peach, lime, grapefruit

good food beer: burgers, grilled meats,

crisp not malty, clean

alcohol masked well

not your usual piney hopped DIPA; more tropical like Citra or Simcoe hops; hopped late
and dry.

not filling...if not for the alcohol, you could keep drinking more because this beer
does not suck.

4.49/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

For some reason I was never a big Lagunitas fan, but this beer may have swayed me. A moderate pour from the bottle creates a large, creamy, white head that seems to last forever. Clear and orange in color, it is a fantastic looking beer.

The aroma is fairly heavy on floral and piney hops. There is a noticable amount of alcohol and peach as well. A light biscuity malt background and earthen yeast finishes things off. The alcohol is masked pretty well in the flavor and lets all of the qualities of the aroma come through.

Medium bodied with a thick, almost chewy texture. Soft carbonation and a long bitter finish with a resinous feeling from the hops. A great beer for sure.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company