Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
acolby

02-09-2012 03:44:25 | More by chalkfullof
SawDog505

New Hampshire

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured into a 13 oz tulip glass, bottled 364th of 2011. Pours a bright clear orange yellow with a one fluffy white head, with layers lace. Smell is huge citrus, tangerine, passion fruit, peach, grass, marijuana, and pineapple. Taste is tons of citrus with a marijuana and grapefruit in the finish. Body large for the style, perfect amount life, lush not dry, and so drinkable. This is tremendous, but so isn't Brown Shugga.

02-08-2012 23:48:54 | More by SawDog505
Heissman

Georgia

02-08-2012 21:07:39 | More by Heissman
threeviews

Poured from a 12oz stubby (bottled on 12/30/2011) into a 14oz Libbey snifter.

A- Pours a yellow-tinged (sunset) orange with slight haze and 2-finger head. Oh, what a beautiful sight...reminds me that summer is one day closer. I was surprised to discover this brew to be bottle conditioned as I observed slight yeast sediment before decanting (which contributed to its cloudiness).

S- A massive dose of tropical fruit (pineapple, mango, passionfruit, peach) with ample citrus notes (orange, tangerine and grapefruit) engulfs the nose. Once the head subsides to a thin film on the surface (and remains for the duration), you are left with sweet orange and ruby red grapefruit goodness. Simply delicious.

T- Malt sweetness and hop bitterness combine to make an amazing experience. Sweet and bitter tropical fruits dances on the palate and finishes with a pleasant & mild, piney bitterness. While the malt bill is more perceivable with Maximus, this recipe allows the aroma and flavor reign supreme. At almost 8% ABV, no alcohol is perceived...I could drink this for days!

M- Sweet and bitter in equal amounts. The palate is never dominated by either. Carbonation is moderate and fits the profile perfectly.

O- What can I say!? For me, Lagunitas is one of those "can do no wrong" breweries. They never disappoint and I implore everyone to try at least one of their offerings. As far as this brew is concerned, I would love for nothing more than this to become an "Unlimited Release" (i.e. year-round). Until then, I'll savor the two 6'rs I was lucky enough to find and hope this is only the first of future batches.

Postscript: I was able to obtain 3 more 6'rs and at well over 3 months since its bottled date, the hop aroma and flavor is just as brillant...amazing!

02-08-2012 00:03:51 | More by threeviews
Fitzmke

02-07-2012 07:48:01 | More by Fitzmke
fezmeister

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

After an initial glance at the bottle, without really reading the actual text for content, I was going to steer clear of this one entirely as it was sub-labeled a "Brown Shugga substitute". I hate Brown Shugga and all of its sweet, sticky little pals. Thank goodness someone wised me up that this one is TOTALLY different!!

Large bubble size of carbonation and golden-yellow color nearly hint at a lager of some kind, or a pale. Most IPAs (the stronger American sort I favor) normally seem to run much more toward the coppery end of the spectrum, so I was surprised upon decanting. The smell is similar to the stand-by Lagunitas IPA, with a hint of something...different. One taste revels that difference in its full glory. While a very similar hop profile to Lagunitas IPA, this brew has a wonderful clear hoppiness and strong, lingering tones of tropical fruits, notably pineapple. More rich citrus flavor than the IPA as well. Vaguely tacky to the palate, yet still fairly drinkable, which is well-motivated by the delicious flavors. This could be my favorite offering yet from Lagunitas.

02-07-2012 06:32:04 | More by fezmeister
vobr0002

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

A- clear, golden yellow with bubbles rising and great head and lacing that sticks to the walls of the glass.

S- tropical citrus smells. I'm sure this was awesome when this was a bit fresher. A bit of biscuit, caramel malt smell too.

T- much like the smell, tropical citrus followed by a caramel bready taste. A little too much of that for me.

M- light on the tongue with a nice amount of carbonation.

O- good beer that I am glad I finally got my hands on. Wouldn't mind having it again. Hopefully though I could get it a little sooner though but it seemed to live up to the expectations.

02-07-2012 00:27:51 | More by vobr0002
TVolt1

4.1/5  rDev -6%

A: Great orangish color to it. Small amount of white head. Great look to the beer that gets me excited to drink it.

S: Good fruit hop smell mixed with a hint of carmely sugar.

T: Inital taste of orange and hops followed by a sweeter taste of caramel malts.

M: lighter mouthfeel with a moderate amount of carbonation.

O: Overall, this is a good beer. Interesting that it was a mistake they made it. I find it to be a good beer and think they should make it every Holiday season. , I'd buy it again!

02-07-2012 00:24:09 | More by TVolt1

02-06-2012 00:19:02 | More by stairwell2811bre
davey101

Connecticut

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Holiday leftovers ale. Bottled on 12/30/2011. Poured into a pint glass.

A - Lighter than most DIPA's. Burnt orange body that looks like apple juice. One finger off-white head that sticks around. Nice lacing on the side of the glass.

S - Reminds me of nugget nectar. Loads of peaches, mango, and grapefruit. Strong on the tropical fruit with a hint of pine and grass towards the end. No malts present.

T - Similar to the nose. Super strong tropical notes that finish slightly earthy and piney. Just a hint of biscuity malts. Long lasting bitter finish. Medium mouth feel, really slick with a nice level of carbonation.

O - I had the original batch back when it came out and thought it was liking drinking orange juice. Maybe its the month that allowed it to smooth out a bit, but this is a damn good DIPA. Really hope Lagunitas brings this back somehow.

02-05-2012 23:44:09 | More by davey101
distvan

4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

A: Nice copper color with good amount of white bubbly head that sticks around.

S: orange, pineapple, honey citrus smell with subtle scents of hops in the background.

T: tastes sweet and not overly bitter. Very smooth and drinksable

M: Medium bodied tith good level of carbonation.

O: One of the most enjoyable iipa I've ever had. It's dangerously drinkable

02-05-2012 21:40:02 | More by distvan
woodycorn44

02-05-2012 20:59:25 | More by woodycorn44
Kenai4

02-05-2012 18:35:49 | More by Kenai4
VaTechHopHead

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours very clear and a golden orange color. Pretty good head that lasts and deposits nice lacing

Reeks of fresh pine hops and slightly citric aroma. Very fresh, very aromatic and ultra pungent. Haven't smelled many beers like it

Tastes very fresh with flavors of line trees, tropical fruit and light sap. Complex hop profile but simple enough to pick out individual flavors

Medium body with above average carbonation, finishes dry and bitter on the palate. Easy to drink and fun to taste the other hop flavors present

A fantastic IPA that makes me almost not miss brown shugga...almost

02-05-2012 03:06:27 | More by VaTechHopHead