Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 8,751 | Reviews: 1,412

4.31/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Nice clear copper with 1 finger head poured into a pint glass.

S: Great aroma. Lots of super amount of pine and citrus. This is the best part of the beer.

T: Not as bitter as I would like for IIPA. But def very smooth. I wish this had as much taste as it does smell. More of an tangerine/melon/lime with a little bit of resinous taste on the backend.

M: Nice feel on the tongue with a good amount of body. Well carbonated.

O: This seems more like an IPA to me than a double. Could have used more hop bitterness up front. I do like the backend a lot. Still a very solid beer. I see how lots of people could enjoy this beer because its mod bitterness and smooth easily drinkability.

4.37/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Got the last 6 pack of this available at Ray's Stateline in Pelham NH.

A ~ Good golden color with a half finger head that slowly dissipates but retains a decent lacing around the glass.

S ~ Great smell, grapefruit, some hops, maybe a little pine in there as well.

T ~ Tastes similar to the smell, grapefruit and maybe some other citrus fruit up front and a strong hoppy finish. Pretty good taste but it tastes a little strong for the 7.85 ABV, not as well balanced as other IPA's with an ABV over 9.

M ~ Well carbonated, full bodied, no complaints in this department.

O ~ I would buy this again, its got a good hop backbone in there and some fruitiness as well. also I think I only spent 11 or 12 on a 6 pack, which isn't bad at all for an Imperial IPA.

2.5/5  rDev -42.5%

4.66/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On an adventurous whim I purchased some Sam Adams IPL at my local package store. The next day I went back to exchange the 5 that I hadn't drunk because it was that bad. Luckily the owner of the store is great and offered me some Lagunitas SUCKS for my trouble.

I was not disappointed with this one. I am a sucker for highly carbonated and grapefruit hoppy goodness. This one succeeded on both counts. As other reviewers have said, it would be difficult to get past one or two of these in a sitting. But in my opinion that is one high quality sit that you'll be having. Strong enough for a cold winter night, but would be equally as enjoyable grill side. Can't wait for the next 6pack.

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company