Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

stevec32, Jan 08, 2013

KevinGordon, Jan 08, 2013

Schlais, Jan 08, 2013

jrbchef, Jan 08, 2013
3.98/5  rDev -8.7%

12oz bottle from Sprayberry Bottle Shop (Marietta, GA). 10.99/ 6-pack. Just released but no dicernable bottling date. Served in a Terrapin snifter.

Pours clear faded orange with a quarter finger pale head that leaves sheets of lace.

The nose is brimming with hops aromas- pine, tropical fruits, and grass with a hint of alcohol.

The taste is pretty close to what the nose indicates but the hops are even sharper. Grapefruit, pine, lemon zest, fresh cut wet grass, white peppercorns, biscuit and mildly sour grapes (but not in a bad way).

Oily, coating medium feel with pronounced carbonation. Long dry piney citrus finish.

While it may not be the best IPA I've had, it's certainly good enough that I'll be picking up more when I see it. An assertive tasty hop treat that deserves more of my time.

ThickNStout, Jan 08, 2013
4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

A-Pours a hazy orange and forms s solid 1.5 finger head that fades quickly.

S-Grapefruits. Literally, it smells like someone cut a grapefruit and put it right under my nose. If I was blind folded I don't know if I would be able to tell the difference.

T-Hop forward, Like the nose it is dominated by grapefruit flavors with other citrus fruits mixed in. Also picking up floral and pine hops as well. A slight maltiness creeps in before the hops come back around.

M-Light body, high carbonation.

O-It's actually not a very well balanced IPA IMO (not a lot of malt flavors), but oddly enough I still love this IPA because I think the hop profile is SPOT on.

Wolfpack2005, Jan 08, 2013
3.6/5  rDev -17.4%

a: clear amber body. four fingers worth of thick clumpy head stay for a bit. after about five minutes i'm left with a frothy cap made up of big and small bubbles with some chunky lacing left behind.

s: i can smell spruce tips from across the room as this one sits for a minute. as soon as there is room for my nose in the glass i take my opportunity to see what else there is, and nothing, just pine.

t: big on the pine with a soapy flavor as well, nothing else.

m: seems thin thru out and a tad watery on the finish. bone dry finish as well with moderate bitterness.

o: not too impressed. won't give up on or bad mouth lagunitas, this just isn't my cup of tea.

match1112, Jan 08, 2013
4.58/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle in to a pint glass...obviously.

A - a carbonated orange with some haze present; the bubbles don't stop bubbling from the bottom; nice half-inch head of white foam; lacing is present...and should be taken seriously

S - really grapefruity; generally, one extremely hoppy note after another; floral and resiny; as someone else noted, it smells a lot like Gubna...although seemingly not as sweet

T - citrus as all get-out; grapefruit, orange, passion fruit; bitter hops; soapy floral; piney; also, grapefruit my man

M - this beer is extremely smooth and well-balanced; medium bodied and at the lower end of that; nice malty backbone that presents as dry; solid carbonation

O - this is really one of the best beers Lagunitas has made that I've had the pleasure of trying; it's an extremely well-done DIPA with balance, flavor, and the perfect amount of booziness; for your value, a beer doesn't get much better than this

SkeeterBoganski, Jan 07, 2013
3.65/5  rDev -16.3%

12 oz. single purchase from MSCM. All 12 oz. in a FFF Rastal on December 27th, 2012.

A - Super clear, golden coloring. 2 fingers of an eggshell head. Plentiful lacing. Slight alcohol legs.

S - Tropical. Tangerines, Mango, and pineapples. Very nearly a hint of guava. Light sugar, honeycomb.

T - The hops play second fiddle throughout the drink. Light pine underneath a layer of that tropical citrus. Touch of bread.

M - Medium body, medium carbonation, semi-dry finish. Some alcohol warming.

D - It's not what I expected given the brewery. It is very drinkable and balanced, with little palate fatigue. Easy recommendation, although I'm a year late to this party.

Auracom, Jan 07, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -14%

jmccraney, Jan 07, 2013

dmorgan310, Jan 07, 2013

Omensetter, Jan 07, 2013

davelag, Jan 07, 2013
4.58/5  rDev +5%

12 oz. bottle poured into Hop Tulip pint glass. Bottle date of 352 equates to December 17, 2012. Consumed January 6, 2013.

A: Slightly hazy orange. Light carbonation bubbles. Half inch off-white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Fantastic, strong hop aroma. Mostly Lagunitas usual grapefruit. Some pine/resin. Smells like heaven.

T: Potent taste follows the aroma, down half a notch. Grapefruit up front. Some hop bitterness. Not sweet but enough malt to make it pretty well balanced.

M: Medium body. Not heavy at all. Like most Lagunitas brews I get a “sticky” feeling. Slight biting aftertaste which detracts only slightly.

O: Great beer in that range between regular American IPAs and the stronger DIPAs. Definite characteristics consistent with other Laguntias beers (good in my book).

Timmah11, Jan 07, 2013