Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
2.25/5  rDev -48.3%

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%

3.84/5  rDev -11.7%

12 ounce bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - It is amber in color with about four inches of off-white head.

S - The aroma is citrus with a focus on grapefruit. I get some pine/juniper as well.

T - The taste is not as intense as I expected. The citrus/grapefruit come through but not with the smack in mouth that I was anticipating.

M - Moderate with plenty of carbonation.

O - It is a good beer, but I think the hype kind of raised my expectations. I have enjoyed every Lagunitas beer that I have tried so far, and this is no exception. It is just not the mind blowing beer that I have heard that it was.

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

4.06/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Very interesting aroma here. Burley tobacco and super piney hops lead the nose and the taste follows suit. The mouthfeel is medium. The over-the-topness falls short in the finish as the sweet hoppiness thins out. Overall a very good IPA and the aroma alone makes it worth the cost of the six-pack. Will definitely buy again.

4.7/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle poured into snifter

A- Clear golden with creamy/sticky two finger head with nice retention and lacing

S- Aromas are FANTASTIC! Huge citrus hop profile featuring grapefruit, pineapple, and mango with some malty biscuit sweetness.

T- Follows the nose to a tee. Grapefruit and piney hop bitterness is complimented by the sweet mango and malty flavors. FANTASTIC!

M- Medium bodied with that excellent oiliness and hop pucker that all the great IIPAs posses.

O- This IIPA is absolutely dialed in. Every aspect of the brew compliments the other. The most balanced take on the style I have had to date!

4.14/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Crystal clear light copper colored body with a beautiful sticky white head on top. Lots of tropical/citrus fruit and pine notes right up front on the nose. Pretty straight forward all-hop no-malt aroma.

Grapefruit and mango notes in the first few sips. Some resiny flavors as well. Not a whole lot going on elsewhere. Seems to be lacking a certain something that might help round it out a bit more but I'm not quite sure what it is. Lacking a malt-backbone perhaps?

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side for a DIPA. Certainly makes it quite drinkable and refreshing. Overall, this is certainly an excellent DIPA but it falls just short of some of my favorites which seem to have more body to them.

4.1/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - orange blossom honey hued, with hald a finger of pure white head fed by plenty of carbonation and even some sediment

S - sweet grapefruit aroma, with hints of pine, but deceptively sweet

T - grapefruit erupts immediately a supreme tart fruit experience that melds nicely into a layered sweet and tart amalgamation,

M&D&O - an improperly named beer, nothing sucks about this brew othere than running out. its simple without being boring, provocative without being complex,a wonderful beer

4.78/5  rDev +9.9%

OK, I LOVE this IPA - I am signing on to this site again for the first time in 3 years only to let folks know TO TRY THIS IPA!!

I've tried it both on tap and in the bottle. I actually use a glass (instead straight out of the bottle to capture more aroma)

It bumped out Sweetwater IPA for my first place brew . It is just loaded down with Simcoe hops. The best nose I've ever smelled on an IPA (frankly, it's nearly identical to the IPA I homebrew but with a bright polish.

OK what is so damn good about this IPA?

1)- the nose is fantastic best I've EVER smelled on an IPA
2) the balance - they absolutely nailed the balance of the IBUs to the alcohol sweetness and nailed the combination of hops to the malt (a bit of biscuit malt in there?)

Enough Raving - HEY LAGUNITAS MAKE THIS BEER YEAR AROUND - THANK YOU!!

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

4.54/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a light straw with orange hues. Thick white head which while isn't dense, is quite persistent. Minimal lacing.

Smell is the highlight of this guy. I just want to swim around in a kiddie pool full of this aroma. Grapefruit, passion fruit, lemon, herbal onions if that's a thing.

The taste smacks you around a bit with a hit of alcohol, but the hop juiciness is righteous. Bitter, citrusy, lemon, and more alcohol punch. Love it.

Mouthfeel is pretty slick. Tight carbonation.

Overall one of my favorite beers at this price point. This and nugget nectar are by far the most aromatically pleasing beers I've ever had the pleasure of sniffing. I want to play in a slip and slide covered in this. Really any water sport with this beer instead of water would do.

4.21/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: into a pint glass, deep gold ber with a firm 2-finger head of off-white foam, nice laciness

S: pale and sweet malts, some notes of pine and citrus hops

T: light malt backbone, crisp and fresh-tasting, hops come through with resin and grapefruit, some pine and citron

M: light-bodied, particularly for a DIPA, brisk but moderate carbonation, clean finish

O: a very good beer, but less heavy than most of its peers which makes for an almost session-able drink; I'd certainly buy it again, but I think the hype exceeds the beer

4.68/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - Poured a bright, golden- orange color with a one-finger off-white head. The head appears light and soft. The head dissipates at a decent rate with some lacing and retention. A little bit of carbonation with some bubbles rising to the top. This just looks like a great tasting beer.

Smell - As soon as I began pouring this into a pint glass, I could smell the hops from about a foot away. I could still smell the hops even with the glass sitting a few inches away from me. With the first sniff, I can pick up the hops right off the bat with floral, grassy, and piney notes followed by the tropical and citrus flavors of grapefruit and tangerine.

Taste - The taste as exactly as the smell. I can pick up on the the flavors of tropical and citrus fruits with the floral notes following suit. It is a very well balanced beer as well. It is not to bitter, but as the beer warms some bitterness lingers.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation can be felt at first, but that feeling disappears as the beer warms. This is a medium-to-light body beer that is perfectly balanced and smooth.

Overall - Whatever the opposite of Sucks is, that is what you can label this beer. It is simply amazing. A great smell, great taste, and perfectly balanced. This is not overpowering and it is very refreshing. Hopefully, Lagunitas will begin distributing this beer year round because once a year is not enough. I hope to find another sixer of this soon because this is simply delicious!

Photo of
4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2/1/13- Lagunitas | Lagunitas Sucks | 12oz Bottle

Appearance- brilliantly clear, golden straw in color, wispy white lacy head

Aroma- LOTS of grapefruit hops up front, dank, citrus and topical, slight spice on the end, little malt character

Mouthfeel- moderate-high co2, medium bodied, well balanced, slight drying but not too much at all

Taste- Tastes as it smells, grapefruity bitterness, subtle malty undertones leaning towards bready and grain, really well balanced IPA.

Residual- Great aftertaste, lingering sweetness that dissipates nicely, not sticky either

Overall- Based on the hype, I was expecting a little more, but overall it’s still a truly fantastic Imperial IPA. Very well balanced, not overwhelming in either malt sweetness or hop bitterness. Highly recommended

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company