Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
uustal

Rhode Island

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a fairly clear, light yellowish orange with a slight pearl white head. The tropical hop aroma is off the charts. Great, strong notes of peach, fresh juicy mango, pineapple and a touch of fresh pine to boot. Just a fantastic aroma. Taste isn't bad either. Sweet, fresh, juicy tropical hop flavors to start. Again highlighting the trio that is so noticeable in the aroma. Tarter grapefruit notes are next before a tongue tingling resiny pine hops finish this one off nicely. Just a fantastic DIPA with a top notch, juicy and mouth watering hop profile.

01-04-2012 03:05:38 | More by uustal

New Hampshire

01-04-2012 01:40:16 | More by ElGallo
Preismj

3.93/5  rDev -9.9%

Amber hue with big foamy head which quickly retreats, leaving tons of sticky lace. smell is of citrus, pine, pineapple and hints of earth. taste is hop forward but not overpowering. Extreme bitterness is met with a rush of wet hop flavor (tastes like a harvest hop beer)...floral and orange peel/kumquat. lips pucker, great carb. No dry finish here. Very drinkable. similar to harvest ale, but less hop forward, more bitterness and great west coast citrus style.

01-04-2012 01:26:22 | More by Preismj
phillimh

01-04-2012 01:14:36 | More by phillimh
portia99

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass.

A - Pours a crystal clear golden color, amber highlights and a half finger of fizzy white head that fizzes away quickly to a collar, loose islands on the surface and a weak showing of lacing.

S - Whooo, this is packed with hop aroma. This is thick with heavy pine, sticky and quite sweaty/armpitty (in a good way), peaches, grapefruit and some tropical fruits. The hops don't leave any room for anything else.

T - Yep, hops here too. This might be the sweatiest beer I've ever had...sticky and hop resiny. A forest of pine, tons of pineapple, grapefruity...hop bitterness is medium high and manages to cut through the syrupy hop flavors well enough to actually balance off the fruity flavors rather well.

M - Lightish medium body with a somewhat heavy carbonation level. Sticky and syrupy hop flavors that make this wonderfully one dimensional.

O - No doubt that this is a super heavy hop forward DIPA. Enough sweetness, wring the flavor out of a shirt after a 5 mile run sweatiness, super tropical and piney hop flavors to make this an outstanding beer for a hop head. Don't quite get the comparisons to Pliny...maybe in its hop intensity, but I'd say that this is lacking a bit of subtlety that keeps this a tick below PtE. However, I'm gonna be really enjoying the remainder of the 6er I picked up today.

01-04-2012 00:28:23 | More by portia99

JustinMatthew

01-03-2012 23:03:14 | More by JustinMatthew
Goblinmunkey7

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance: Very much like liquid gold. Bright, clear, and a lively carbonation. Head is bright-white and leaves some solid lacing. Head dwindles to a thin cap on the beer. Sticks around for the duration.

Smell: Mango, pineapple, touches of mint and pine. Pungent tropical aromas mix with some nice citrus backing. Grapefruit flesh and orange sweetness. Malts are buried in the back. Slightly edge of bread crust and biscuit dough. Loads of hop depth and aroma.

Taste: Pine and mango in equal measure. Slick oily hops. Faintly bready malts on the back. It's all about the hops. Big resinous pine finish. Touches of mint leaf pop out after a few sips. Aggressively bitter on the back. Not attempt at balance, but it works. Orange pith and grapefruit zest.

Mouthfeel: Long finish. Flavors linger for a long time. Moderate carbonation on a medium body puts this right where it should be. Oily mouthfeel makes this incredibly smooth and easy to drink.

Overall: If this is an apology beer, I accept Lagunitas' apology. Loads of flavor and another winter IPA that I hope makes it in to regular rotation. If I could lock down a case of this and Celebration every winter, it sure would makes things a lot easier. Let's hope it's not just a one-off.

01-03-2012 20:44:43 | More by Goblinmunkey7
DarthGuitarHero

01-03-2012 17:05:45 | More by DarthGuitarHero
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

Big thanks to inebriatedjoker for providing me the chance to try this beer....

Poured into my new CBS snifter...

Clear yet bright golden with a nice fluffy snow white head.... First thing I notice is the pungent aromas of lemon, orange, some pine needles and a little of the onion/garlic thing... A nice blend of hops without one in particular standing out... Bready malt aromas linger behind the rush of hops... Interesting...

Bitter rush of the pine and citrus hops immediately followed by the slightly sweet and bready malts used... Touches of the onion flavor here and there but doesn't dominate as in other brews.. Nice and bitter... Long slow oily finish with the bitterness fading to a nice citrusy residual....

I enjoyed this beer quite a bit and I have several more of these to crack open... I like the fact that the ABV is manageable and it isn't a 9% head cracker that you can only have a couple of...

01-03-2012 16:32:50 | More by Tilley4
aliving1

01-03-2012 06:13:19 | More by aliving1
Nachojon

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

A- By the looks of it, it doesn't look like much. Clear, golden thin head that dissipates quickly. Above average lacing.

S- Great citrus hop aroma. Doesn't attack the nostrils like my very favorite IPAs, but quite impressive none the less. Nice grapefruit and a solid dry aroma.

T-DELICIOUS. I read so much about it, I am one of the later BAs on the Sucks tasting line. So with all the hype I really wasn't expecting it to live up. However, it's all there. Great double IPA flavor, big citrus hops, even some lemongrass and pepper.

M- Nice and dry, I could go for a little more tongue-burn in my IIPA but it's definitely good stuff.

O- I love Lagunitas and this is my new favorite Lagunitas beer. Going to be a go to beer for me while this is still available.

01-03-2012 05:59:57 | More by Nachojon

01-03-2012 04:27:27 | More by TheDudeRules
Hopfenpeter

Maryland

4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

The beer was poured into a crystal mug. The color was a medium gold with a creamy off white head building about one and a half fingers high. It did not stick around to long, but left good lacing.
Tho nose is a plentiful arrangement of flowery and citrusy hops. Lot of fruit and even some pine notes in the end.
The taste up front is full of fruit like pineapple, mango, peach and citrus. In the middle the malty notes mingle in and sweeten things up slightly, just to be balanced again by some earthy pine notes in the finish. Well done!
A really masterfully crafted Winter IPA. I hope I can find another six-pack!!!

01-03-2012 03:57:55 | More by Hopfenpeter

NSLPublishing

01-02-2012 21:55:42 | More by NSLPublishing
vic21234

4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

Was surprised to find plenty of 6-packs of Sucks remaining at one of my local liquor stores today. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a clear golden-orange color. The white head on it quickly dissipates.

S- Awesome. Tons of overall citrus notes, specifically mango and grapefruit. Also getting some pine aroma.

T- A nicely hop forward beer. I get lots of grapefruit notes, and the bitter hop taste sticks around for awhile. A slightly malted finish.

M- Light, bitter.

Good stuff, glad I came across some in my area after thinking it was long gone.

01-02-2012 21:10:30 | More by vic21234