Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

4.49/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Believe the hype. Sucks is as good as many of the top-rated double IPAs around, and may actually be the very best widely available double IPA on the market (for these purposes, I'd define "widely available" as a Top 10 craft brewer by sales volume per the Brewer's Association), although Ruination may have something to say about that. Still, I'd take Sucks over Hopslam, which I found didn't meet the hype or expectations for me after finally nabbing a six-pack back in January.

Appearance: DIPA orange.

Smell: Not quite the citrus explosion one expects from a premiere west-coast brewer like Lagunitas. A bit subdued, but still plenty aromatic.

Taste: One of the things I find most appealing about this beer is that there are seemingly a number of competing flavors -- citrus, but also a good bit more sweetness than I'm accustomed to in my DIPAs -- and yet it all works together to form an insanely drinkable product. This has to be one of the easiest-drinking 7.9% beers you can buy.

Mouthfeel: Medium, medium-carbonation.

Overall: A superb DIPA from Lagunitas, and, while this statement is subject to change, probably the best beer they make right now. Shame it's not a year-rounder.

4.23/5  rDev -2.8%

A: A deep golden copper/orange/yellow colored body with an off white three finger head that lingers around for a long time.

S: Citra hops are obviously present. There is pine, citrus, and caramel all present in the aroma of this beer.

T: There is an intense citrus bite in the beginning of this beer. It then fades to pine then to a toffee caramel and then the sharp bitterness comes back at the end and lingers on the palate for a while after the beer is gone.

M: A little thinner then I was expecting but this beer has excellent carbonation.

O: Great beer. If given the opportunity, get this one fresh.

4.27/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

After trying this at the Winter brew Fest in Denver a couple weeks ago, I bought a six pack

A- Golden, bright, clean. Head that turns to pretty lace

S- Lemon, Grapefruit, pine, a little alcohol

T- More orange for me then the lemon smell, grapefruit again, a little biscuit or bread, awesome hop and malt mix. hop stays on the tongue.

M- A little chewy, but I like it, allows me to hold on to the flavors for a while longer.

O- I have been drinking Odell Myrcenary as my staple DIPA, but I will definitely throw this in the mix if it stays on the shelf. A great beer with a nice balance.

I like it a lot...

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Sucks! this beer absolutely does not! It only sucks if you have not had this tasty little treat. Bottle date is 2-06-13, pretty fresh if you ask me. The aroma as soon as I popped one of these babies was so juicy and sweet! Up front pineapple, pear, apricot, citrus, pine, you know everything a great DIPA should smell like, well that x10.. This beer pours a pale orange-gold with two fingers of cream colored head. First sip is all hops, taste is just as dynamic as the aroma, but the more this beer warms, the more malt character begins to come through. Extremely drinkable, I am already done with my review sample bottle before I even finished this review. Overall, I gotta put "Sucks" right up there in my top 5 DIPA's of all time. Time for another!

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

3.25/5  rDev -25.3%

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%

4.81/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a goblet wine glass

Great color and clarity with a great head with nice retention to the glass after a couple swirls to open it up and let the aroma off it's leash

Everything about this beer that makes it great is in the nose. It's like a punch in the face with all the aromas. At the forefront are of course pine and resin like every IPA should have. Citrus bouquet with lemon rind, lime juice and grape fruit all at the helm.

The flavor profile is off the hook as well. Nice firm body with the hops doing what they do best in terms of delivering a nice, dry finish. I like how the sweetness does not come in to play until after you swallow, leaving traces of brown sugar and simple syrup on the palate without being too overpowering.

This beer is definitely up there in terms of my favorite IPAs. Thank god my beer store just got in a big shipment. Gotta get more!

4.28/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours smoothly, 1 inch head with retention after 5 minutes. Never-ending effervescence.

Smell is citrus with grapefruit rind and lemon peel dominating.

The taste is like biting into a grapefruit (without the skin). The body is extremely smooth like a lighter cream ale. Not an overly hoppy beer and despite not being able to find the malt, it is still somehow well balanced. This goes down way too easily. You could finish off a sixer of these in an hour. The lacing on this beer is great even at the end.

I read somewhere that this one starts of great and gets better every bottle. So far this is proving to be true. Great beer.

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%