Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
4.49/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle pours a mostly clear, light copper color with a firm tan head. Decent retention and excellent lace.

Pineapple weed, papaya and other various tropical hop aromas. Not much else really, there is a fair amount of malt, but it is dominated by the hops.

Taste focuses more on hop flavor than bitterness, which is nice on this beer. Lots of pine and tropical hop flavors with a crushed grain maltiness that is a little heavier than 'biscuit'...maybe 'hint-o-caramel' works better. The components are supremely well integrated, it is so smooth and...well...delicious. While this tastes similar to many of Lagunitas' other offerings, it almost seems like they have perfected it here. At 7.85%, I would argue this fits better in the regular IPA category than DIPA but they seem to have failed to axe my opinion. I might go so far as to say this is Petaluma's best beer, it really is delicious.

4.49/5  rDev +3.2%

I've been drinking this exclusively for a week. Figured I ought to give it its due. Poured into a skinny tulip.

A: Pours copper, clear as day, with two fingers of bone-white head that leaves ample lacing and eventually settles down to a nice uniform film. It even looks sticky.

S: Good Lord! Potent. Dank and piney, herbal and earthy. The citrus is strong too, but I feel like it takes a back seat. Somewhat spicy. There's some sweet malt in there, too, especially toward the end as it warms.

T: The citrusy grapefruit comes through more and it is glorious. The earthy pine is somewhat subdued, but not enough to discourage a fan of the earthy/dank side of hop flavors like myself. There is a suggestion of sticky caramel sweetness, especially upon warming. At room temperature it's almost sweet--It's a beer to be enjoyed chilled for sure. There is a very slight alcohol heat but it's very well hidden indeed. The aftertaste is resiny and very very persistent and I am reminded of my first and (so far) only Heady Topper as far as resiny sticky aftertaste goes. I can't do proper justice to what's being done to my palate and nasal passages. The only things keeping me from rating it a 5 are the facts that there is no such thing as perfection and the fact that I've had Heady.

M: For a DIPA, just what you're looking for. You could come back in a half hour and there'd still be a film of head on this. Medium in body, smooth going down, prickly bubbles, absolutely awesome. You get the idea.

O: I really, really, really like this beer. It was a third hop "eureka" moment for me. This is a serious must-try if you have anything more than a passing interest in hoppy beers! Absolutely excellent.

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It's Friday, time to party. Poured this beaut into a Sierra Nevada balloon glass. Appearance is splendid - translucent gold with about a quarter inch of head which reduces to some heavy lacing around the glass.

Smells of pine and citrus. Taste is..wow. Magnificent. Perfectly balanced hops and malts - so easy to drink it's scary. Especially considering the abv of 7.85%. Has a very inviting piney/bitter aftertaste. Crispy finish helped by a perfect (there's that word again) level of carbonation.

This is the '86 Celtics of Double IPAs. Currently my favorite beer - glad it's readily available here in RI.

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Lagunitas Sucks - 12fl oz bottle

I had heard good things about Lagunitas, and they were right!

Look - Pours a golden with a tinge of copper. Clear and unfiltered with minimal carbonation. Small, soapy head. This is probably the lightest IPA I have ever seen, I was taken aback.

Smell - Smooth hoppy and malty, mouth watering, slight citrus/fruity scent, my friend and I decided it was similar to mango and grapefruit.

Taste - Hops first, followed by a complex combination of flavors almost malty, sweet, and grapefruity/mango/citrus. Hops rest on the back of the taste buds quite comfortably.

Mouthfeel - Pleasantly lingers on the palette, insanely drinkable.

Overall - I would say that this is one of the most unique brews I have ever had. It is one of those brews where a review simply does not do it justice, you need to try it for yourself.

4.21/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A - Pours a light gold/yellow with a fluffy three-finger head of soapy foam. Nice sticky rings of lacing. MUCH lighter than most strong IPA's I have seen

S - Strong aroma of dank, resinous leafy hops. Hint of fruit. A little candied sugar comes out as it warms.

T - Taste follows the nose, with oily, sticky, floral hops forward. Some underlying honey-ish sweet malt, just enough to keep the abrasive hops from completely peeling away your taste buds and making for an interesting contrast. Slight amount of citrus zest (lemon peel) in the finish. Coats the mouth with hop oil.

M - Here's where this truly excels. A really nice full body helps carry everything, where a lighter body would fail this brew. Prickly carbonation works perfectly with the thick body to keep drinkability solid.

O - One of the more vexing beers I had in age; I wound up not liking it on first taste, and craving more by the time I finished my glass. What do they put in this stuff? In all seriousness, a well-crafted, and slightly unique, DIPA. Will almost certainly buy again.

4.26/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Aroma of nice hoppy goodness. Rye, grapefruit zest, apricot, and honey. Pours bronze with a smal healthy head. Taste is marvelously hoppy with dried apricot, grapefruit and brown sugar. Finishes nice and sticky. Gotta love the humility of Lagunitas considering this is one of the finest IPA's out there.

4.11/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Pours a transparent copper with a towering, fluffy white two finger head that has good retention qualities (about half the beer) as well as leaving excellent lacing. I like the back story on this brew.

Smell - The hops smell very earthy to me: floral, pine, etc. Outstanding nose on this beer, one of the better I have smelled. There is certainly a sweet smell in the background as well, assuming that to be the sugar substitute or whatever they used. Smells of caramel to me.

Taste - The piney and floral hops are the main events, backed by a malty foundation with a semi-sweet middle. The hops are very good in this brew, smell great and taste great. Not too much to overwhelm, very balanced brew.

Mouthfeel - The sweetness makes its real appearance in the finish, with that caramel flavor. A sticky finish because of that, a little bit of bitterness, but overall very well done.

Overall - Unfortunately, I think for me this is another case of a supremely hyped up brew that had no chance to live up to the billing. It is an excellent beer, and I would certainly recommend it, but don't get swept up in the fever. I said the same thing about Hopslam, and I drank them one day apart. I'd take Myrcenary over either of them. But this is a very good brew.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company