Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

jwmarcum, Feb 15, 2012

sharpski, Feb 15, 2012
4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

Grabbed a few 6 packs of this before it was all gone. 12 oz bottled poured into my fav glass.

A: Deep Golden to amber, slightly orange. Pours with a nice one finger head that faded but carbonation stayed active enough to keep a layer of foam on the top, all the way down. Decent lacing.

S: I had to keep sniffing and sniffing to figure it out, I knew the sent but just couldn't place it. Smells exactly like fresh Lilikoi. Awesome tart tropical fruit.

T: Hops hit you right away, not as tropical as the aroma. Complex, sour apple, smooth throughout, clean finish.

M: Not to syrupy and the alcohol is well hidden. Little dry at the finish.

O: Great beer, I think I like Hop Stoopid more though. I take that back, I def like Hop Stoopid more. I think this was a little bit of a hype baby. Still a really good beer but to go from nothing to being there number 1 rated beer seems a little bit much.

animortician, Feb 15, 2012
4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Slightly hazed pale orange/golden color, with a blinding white head. The pillow is thick but thins quickly, although even a weak swirl fluffs it up nicely.

Clean, bright, floral, fruity, and especially herbal nose. Shades of cannabis bud sneak in. It's hoppy and very "west coast" but doesn't seem to be trying to beat the nose senseless.

Impossible not to love how this beer tastes. It's very fruity and rounded out with sweet, dessert-like spices, yet it's a classy offering, never feeling like a too-syrupy tongue-ripping novelty. If you were looking to turn a hops-novice onto hop-laden beer, this would be it.

Texturally it's soft and smooth, yet with plenty of carbonation. For some reason it's starting to remind of a classier, slightly bigger, more cool-handed Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.

Very much worthy of the hype that greeted this surprise/oopise holiday creation, it's one of the more approachable double IPAs out there. Lagunitas doesn't suck at all!

Metalmonk, Feb 14, 2012

redliner8, Feb 11, 2012

demgoth, Feb 11, 2012

mgobrew10, Feb 11, 2012
4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Didn't realize it was my 300th review until I started. Oh well, not everything has to be a true milestone. Still, at least Sucks is a semi-rare beer that is worth noting.

12 oz bottle, found it at Julio's, home of many great beers. Served in my Surly Darkness snifter, because it rocks!

A: Head? Yes, please, make it a double! Huge, thick, frothy white head on a golden body with a hint of reddish to it.

S: Nose is ...Simcoe? Sharp, piney, spicy, just really good smelling and nicely complex.

F: Tasty and quaffable. True West Coaster here. Light malt body is only a framework for big, gratuitous hopitude. Waves of citrus and pine. This is really the closest thing to Pliny that I can think of. Heady Topper may have stolen my heart, but I still carry a torch for Pliny, and this could be the kid sister.

M: Stripping and cleansing, done right.

O: Really, really good. I love Hop Stoopid and many of their other brews, but this one is somehow better. Glad to hear that this will be a new product.

ghostwalker, Feb 11, 2012
3.9/5  rDev -10.6%

A - Pours very nicely - super clean & transparent golden orange with a finger white head that is almost entirely small bubbles. Mild lacing, with more tiny bubbles sticking around.

S - Whoa, hops! Reminds me of a fresh dreadnaught - this smells lovely. Very light and floral, lemon zest, grass. Malt profile is minimal, but theres definitely some nut and bread in here.

T - Hops are king, but this is nicely balanced. The hops taste as if they were picked yesterday - tons of subtle lemon, grass, mandarin orange and a little bit of pine bitterness in the end. Nut, bread, some caramel are backing up in the hops here.

M - The carbonation is sharp, lots of bubbles and it cascades in your mouth. Medium mouthfeel that feels a bit sticky in my mouf.

O - Again, this is very balanced, super enjoyable. It reminds me a little bit of Lagunitas Dogtown pale ale, but a little beefier. Dogtown is one of my favorite pale ales, so Sucks could become a staple drinker for me. I thought Brown Shugga was a terrible beer, so I'm loving that they're making this instead.

drewba, Feb 11, 2012
4.35/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Strangely resembles a bud. Yellowy in color, with a bright white head. Lots of bubbles.

S: Lots and lots of hops. Faint brown sugar. Burnt sugar. Lemony and grapfruit rind. Sugary grapfruit. Holiday Ale???

T: Hoppy. Sugary. Graham cracker. Grapefruit rind. Not bittery hardly at all, except at thevery very end. Burnt grain.

M: Very balanced. This is actually pretty thin, but it feels so right!!

O: This is NOT a seasnal Xmas brew, for the record. But man is it good!

Thanks Preismj for the extra!

gkatsoris, Feb 11, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Casterbridge, Feb 11, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured into a Dogfish Head goblet. Perfect two finger-head. Nose smells heavily of fresh, juicy hops. Very heady and lovely bouquet; the smell alone is worth the try. Pretty light amber/copper color. Laces down good, too.

Definitely not shy on the hops. Very juicy, oily hops paired up with a well-balanced ester note. Tropical fruit, grapefruit, and marijuana-like notes round out in the mouth. A touch of earth pokes out toward the finish along with the sweetness of the malt. A touch of alcohol burns slightly in the finish; dry and satisfying. Medium to medium-full bodied.

Very nice and quite typical of a heavy-handed hop bomb from California. For style, it goes down dangerously smooth so use caution. I'd personally like to give this a run with lamb tacos doused in a lambic vinagrette -- the sweet, robust meaty flavor of the tacos would be be able to cut through the assertive hops used in this bad boy.

Zraly, Feb 10, 2012
4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

Deep yellow in color with a orange hue and a slight haze. Poured with a strong, rocky white head that left behind a rich cap and ample sticky lacings. Intense floral and ripe citrus hop aromas with a hint of pine and malt beneath. Smooth and pleasant feel with ample carbonation. Floral and citrus grapefruit hop flavors in the beginning with a brief taste of sweet malt. Finishes cleanly with a citrus orange and pine hop flavor that fades with a bit of alcoholic heat. Nice variety of hop flavors and a nice clean finish without too much bitter aftertaste.

IronLover, Feb 10, 2012