Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
illtiger1

Connecticut

01-16-2012 19:40:10 | More by illtiger1
crossovert

4.03/5  rDev -7.6%

12 oz bottle.

It pours a clear gold with just a hint of orange. The head is white and dissipates quickly with no lacing.

The scent is sweet with some melon and citrus.

The flavor is nice. It is fruity with melon and some tomato. The sweetness is there for balance and there is a nice hoppy bitterness in the finish with some grapefruit and pine.

It reminds me of Surly Abrasive. I don't like the tomato summity flavor but other than that it is a good one.

01-16-2012 18:58:37 | More by crossovert
Lang44

01-16-2012 18:53:14 | More by Lang44
cps98

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Found this at the local bottle shop and was really interested in trying it. Enjoyed pretty cold in a fresh pint glass.

A – Deep yellow color, nice and clear no haze at all. Really strong 2 finger white head. Great lacing

S – Lots of pine and lemon citrus.

T – Really nice hop flavor, some pine.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation. The beer was really smooth.

O – I really liked this Holiday offering. If they brewed it again I would definitely try to score some more.

01-16-2012 18:38:57 | More by cps98
Jwale73

Rhode Island

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

12oz. bottle served in my DT tulip. Pours a translucent orange-gold with a loose, fluffy, 3/4 inch bright white head. Head eventually dissipates into a bull's eye dollop with spots and thin strands of lacing adhering to the walls of the glass. Great nose on this beer - candied citrus fruit (grapefruit), herbal/piny hops, a slight onion and pepper character. Upfront flavors are predominantly piny resin and citrus rind. Middle is light, toasted malts and finish re-asserts the faint onion character in the nose with a light, lingering earthy bitterness between quaffs. Mouthfeel is medium-light in body with an assertive carbonation that leaves a residual prickle across the tongue. There's also a light oiliness and a little bit of acidity. Overall, a very good DIPA with an ABV that isn't over the top. I'm pretty happy about Lagunitas' "screw-up." I hope to try this one on draft before it disappears.

01-16-2012 17:18:42 | More by Jwale73

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

01-16-2012 13:41:42 | More by Rekrule
BHwks

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

A - A very nice clear golden color. Very little head and mild carbonation from the bottom.

S - The smell is unbelievable - very tropical and strong, unique, even for an DIPA.

T - Clean, crisp, and finishes with a nice bitter kick. Well balanced and very fresh tasting

M - A little bit syrupy and slick, and very clean on the palate.

Overall - I really love this beer. I know its kind of getting overhyped on here, but it really lives up to expectations. I will say though that it fits a particular style for IPA/DIPAS - you have to like the citrusy, slick, and clean tasting IPAs. If you want something with a bit more malt balance, you may be a bit disappointed. It does seem like this type of DIPA is currently in vogue and therefore it gets high ratings. I love it personally.

01-16-2012 09:48:51 | More by BHwks
crib

01-16-2012 02:57:47 | More by crib
zeff80

Missouri

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottle at Sycamore, Columbia, MO.

A - Poured out a clear, golden yellow color with a one-finger, white head of bubbly foam. It left sudsy trails of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of sweet honey, citrus and caramel.

T - Nice bitter hop bite up front with some sweet honey and caramel. It had some citrus kick, too.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - This is a really tasty Imperial IPA. I'm glad Sanford at Sycamore was able to get some at his bar.

01-16-2012 02:34:07 | More by zeff80
beersis81

01-16-2012 02:26:29 | More by beersis81
cutout

South Carolina

01-16-2012 02:21:03 | More by cutout
OleJohnnieAle

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

A- Nice dark golden color with a 2 fingers of head lingered well.

S- Fruit medly with peach, pineapple and mango. Bit of the piney hops come through at the end.

T- Just as the nose would lead you get some nice tropical fruity notes mixing well with the sweet malts. Then as a classic IPA would, the bitter hops come in. well balannced with no boozy taste as you may get from others at nearly 8%.

M- Smooth and has that nice bitter bite. Well balanced

O- Another great beer by Lagunitas! Glas they repacked it as "Leftovers" Love the IPAs now can't wait for Brown Shugga!

01-16-2012 01:28:03 | More by OleJohnnieAle
GJ40

Sampled from a 12oz bottle in a standard pint glass.

A – Gold with great clarity and a big white head. Flawless. Great lacing.

S – Wow! Tropical and citrusy hops. Exceptional freshness. Again, flawless.

T – This is just the west coast IPA I’ve become addicted to. Low on the malts and huge on the hops with a focus on flavoring over bitterness. Loads of tropical fruit and citrus. Great from start to finish. Lingers for a long, long time. And the alcohol is incredibly well hidden.

M – Silky and creamy with a moderate carbonation.

O – A hop heads dream. It’s as close to Pliny as you can get with a national distribution. I’m going to be so disappointed when this release is over.

01-15-2012 21:40:16 | More by GJ40
jtoledo04

01-15-2012 20:38:45 | More by jtoledo04
tclapper

01-15-2012 19:24:44 | More by tclapper
thegodfather2701

4.68/5  rDev +7.3%

A-pours a hazy orange with a bright white head that dissipates quickly and leaves only minimal lacing.

S-Citrussy with grapefruit standing out the most and a hint of some tropical notes such as pineapple.

T-Like the nose-a lot of citrus especially grapefruit. It has a decently big caramel like malt backbone. Not as much flavor or complexity as I expected.

M-Pretty thick and chewy.

D-Very drinkable for the style given its low abv. for the style and its underwhelming flavor.

Overall, I was disappointed in this beer after all of the good things I'd heard about it. For the IIPA category I thought it was just alright at best. There are much flavorful versions of the style out there.
***
Re-reviewed February 22, 2013 and the scores reflect that tasting

A-Honey/gold with a thick white head that slowly dissipates. Excellent lacing and some cascading as well.

S-Tropical fruits, floral, with a hint of booze.

T-Tropical fruits flavors dominate with notes of citrus playing a role as well. There is a nice malt backbone but the hops control this beer. It tastes fantastic. There is also a hint of alcohol.

M-Fairly syrupy with just the right amount of carbonation.

D-Superb especially given its relatively low abv. for the style and its tremendous flavor.

Overall, this beer is much better than it was the last time I had it. It is absolutely amazing. I love it and will drink as much of it as possible over the next few weeks. Lagunitas is an amazing brewery.

01-15-2012 14:49:59 | More by thegodfather2701
AWolfAtTheDoor

3.75/5  rDev -14%

Only saw 1 six pack of this in my local, and this is my first bottle from the only sixxer I got.

Yellowish copper with a hint of haze and a small egg shell white colored head on top. Head quickly subsides to a ring. Minimal lacing.

Lots of citrus and a hint of cat urine on the nose.

Taste mirrors the nose. Citrusy, with a whack of simcoe cat piss to round it out. Malts are there clinging onto the background for dear life. Actually fairly balanced.

Surprisingly crisp mouthfeel. Usually a hop monster like this will be resiny. This one clears up nicely on the palate.

Overall, this beer is intriguing. I think it's honestly completely over rated (as are most fanboy beers on this website) but it's not a drain pour. I'll finish this sixxer, but I don't see the appeal.

01-15-2012 06:21:55 | More by AWolfAtTheDoor

01-14-2012 22:23:19 | More by Soneast
greenmonstah

New Hampshire

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottle poured into pint glass

A - Golden amber in color, with a steady but slow stream of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Little head, but what small head there is does a fine job of lacing the glass.

S - Deep pine resin and grapefruit, tangerine and a more sweet clementine aroma. The pine is more than I expected, and the standard citrus-forward Lagunitas IPA aroma is there. Some dry grain aromas are there too, like in a grain elevator.

T - Taste is hop forward, but with a balancing toasty grain finish. Tastes of pine tips and grapefruit, like the nose, but with more bitterness than sweetness.

M - Mouth is medium, almost light for this style, but medium overall. Sharpness from the carbonation and hops, but it rounds out in the finish. Mellow compared to some DIPAs

O - Oerall this is a fine beer indeed. I put it up there with Lil Sumpin' Sumpin'. This is a beer I would buy constantly if I could get my hands on it. Great work, you certainly don't suck.

01-14-2012 18:51:09 | More by greenmonstah
cavedave

4.1/5  rDev -6%

Thanks to Azurescens for this delicious beer I missed, 'til now.

Nice amber color, clear, some off white foam, and decent leggy lace. Looks sorta refractive, thick.

Smell is that grapefruit, candied orange peel, mango, and pineapple hints I get from many of their tastier hop creations. Smells like hop perfume and sweet flower caramel fragrance.

Taste is full flavor, starts with some crystal, light caramel almost neutral, picks up all the fruit of the nose, like a wave of taste, then the essence of the bittering comes in, quite piney but in a refined, not over oily way, some other bitter flavors swirl there too. Stays pretty fruity along the way for sure. The end of the sip is some lasting bitter peel.

Med. carb., med. viscosity, clean on palate, excellent finish. Nuff said.

I especially like hop masterpieces made with house produced hop extracts of high quality. Lagunitas has it down with Hop Stoopid, Maximus, and others, and now this one, all are easy drinking, delicious.

01-14-2012 16:41:00 | More by cavedave