Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

Whimpers, Jan 31, 2012

chsherbie, Jan 31, 2012
4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

12oz bottle into a tulip

A: Pours a clear golden yellow with a nice white head that fades to a ring and leaves some lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is intoxicating. Huge aromas of tropical fruits...mostly mango, piney hops, sweet malt, and touch of carmelized onions in the background.

T: The taste is pretty good as well. There are awesome flavors of mango, pineapple, pine, and a honey sweetness on the finish. The mango is there the whole time though and really sets this apart from others in the style.

M: The feel is crisp yet medium bodied. Maybe a touch too many bubbles but that is a tiny complaint.

O: This is close to Lil Sumpin Sumpin but with a bit more of a hop kick. I'm not sure I'd call it a DIPA but it's one tasty beer. I will definitely be back for more.

GregSVT, Jan 31, 2012

kmckinnon87, Jan 30, 2012

beerdweeb, Jan 30, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Consumed 1/30/12

Appearance: A hazy golden orange - nice white head that fades pretty quickly, but leaves a web of sticky lacing

Smell: Simply great - very hoppy, with a ton of juicy citrus and some tropical notes - orange, grapefruit, and pineapple flesh - very floral, a bit weedy, and some pine - malts smell nicely pale and slightly toasted - what I'm guessing are crystal malts are adding a nice, light sweetness - balanced well with the fruity flavors (I've smelled this combination in other Lagunitas beers)

Taste: Just as impressive as the aroma - hoppy and nicely bitter - very juicy, lightly fruity - orange, tangerine, sweet grapefruit, pineapple - some oily pine in here, seems to become increasingly apparent as it warms up - malts are pretty light but adequately serve as a backbone - pale, lightly sweet, slightly grainy - nicely dry

Mouthfeel: Medium body, nicely carbonated, a little sticky

Overall: Way better than any "apology" beer should be

This is quite possibly the best thing I've tasted from Lagunitas, and one of the best double IPAs I've had in recent memory. Seriously. If this becomes a seasonal, I will definitely be buying a bunch of this every year.

angrybabboon, Jan 30, 2012

Ish1, Jan 30, 2012

AlaskanYoung, Jan 29, 2012

hendge, Jan 29, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane.

Poured a surprisingly clear and golden color, with a big, sudsy white head that took its time dropping, leaving lots of lace on the sides of my glass.

HUGE piney hop scent, so big it smacks your palate before you even begin to drink it.

More balanced and less hoppy than the nose indicated. Sure, things begin with a piney hop blast, but quickly change over to a softer, mellower hop flavor that is balanced well by some unobtrusive malts.

A little bit lighter in the body than I was expecting, but not to a great degree. Slightly resiny yet modestly dry mouthfeel.

This beer goes down far more easily than I initially expected from its hoppy scent. I just wish I'd bought more bottles, as I could drink this all night.

woemad, Jan 29, 2012

wchris21, Jan 29, 2012

A- pours an orangish gold with an inch of foam. Great retention

S- hoppy and sweet

T- slightly citrusy and hoppy. Delicious. very well balanced

M- smooth

O- outstanding beer. Great flavor. I would mostly think of holiday ales as being closer to a brown ale, but this is incredibly well balanced for a double ipa.

Jammies, Jan 29, 2012

danielp215, Jan 29, 2012

StoicBeast, Jan 29, 2012

sweisel80, Jan 28, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I grabbed a couple of sixers of this x-mas and saved a couple to do reviews with. Poured into my dfh tulip/crunk glass...as my mom-in-law said when she tried a sip.... It's like drinking a x-mas tree in a glass! One of the best brews I've had in a long time.

A-- deep orange color w/ a thin white head. Has a small amount of floaty sediment.

S-- over the top hoppy! Pine and citrus notes... Smells as amazing as it tastes!

M-- categorized as a double ipa, booze isn't very strong. A little resinous/syrupy hoppy goodness

T-- Tastes just like it smells. Boatload of hops, followed up by citrus and pine notes. Very unique flavor, even compared to other Lagunitas ipas

O-- Awesome beer, they should brew it year round! Brown Shugga is a good seasonal, but this blows it away!

Supadup21, Jan 28, 2012
4.28/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into my Bell's snifter. received a very fresh bottle in a great box from MiloHop. Thanks Milo

Pours a clear golden yellow with two fingers of white head. Head sticks around for a minute and leaves tons of lacing on the glass.

Smell is glorious, Citra as well as another tropical hop are prominent leaving a slight malt smell in the deep background. Similiar to ZD but slightly different.

Taste is awesome. Citrus hops up front, strong malt backbone, with a slight pine on the finish. very well done.

The mouthfeel is medium with moderate carbination. It could use a little more carbination, but it is not that far off.

overall, this is a very nice beer. Great flavor and aroma, good mouthfeel. Real happy to have tried this one. Thanks Milo

rmalinowski4, Jan 28, 2012