Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
CBlack85

South Carolina

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a globe glass.

The beer pours a clear gold color with a big frothy white head that recedes fairly quickly leaving behind a thin crown on top of the beer and an impressive amount of lacing.

The aroma is just WOW... I mean the hops just pop with a huge fruity aroma. I get peach, mango, orange, pineapple, and pink grapefruit. I also get just a hint of a sugary sweetness, but no real grainy/bready malts to be found. I almost don't want to drink this beer just so I can sit around enjoying the aroma. Beautiful

The taste is big on citrusy hops, but not as big as the nose would let on. The hops are more fruity than most IIPAs that I've come across. Lots of orange, ruby red grapefruit, and a bit of pineapple. Like the nose the malt profile is weak at best, although I do get more bready notes in the flavor than in the nose. The beer finishes fairly dry with just a slight bitterness. Medium bodied and the carbonation is spot on.

Overall, this is a terrific beer. Maybe my favorite IIPA. Definately one of the best noses on a beer that I have encountered so far.

01-07-2012 03:22:29 | More by CBlack85
bornridiculous

Connecticut

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

I will do my best to refrain from the avalanche of profanities that have formed in my brain as a result of drinking a six pack of this in one sitting. I do indeed love this beer.

Appearance: A bright golden color with good head retention and excellent lacing.

Smell: Holy Hops. Smooth Crisp Hops. Solid Citrus with hints of pine and just slightly resin flavored. Its like a humidor made of hop cones.

Taste: This IPA is balanced and not balanced at the same time. It almost appears that different hop characteristics come out in each sip. Fruit, Earthiness, pine, sweetness, malt, and grapefruit all come to mind.

Mouthfeel: Crisp with moderate carbonation. A real resin aftertaste that is at once satisfying without being overpowering. I liken it to a brutal IPA like Stone Ruination, but a velvet glove without the iron fist.

I keep licking my teeth to extract the hops.

Final Thought. I drank Ruination to be punished, Ghandibot to be impressed, but Sucks is now my benchmark. Fuck Brown Shuggha.

01-07-2012 02:24:56 | More by bornridiculous
korguy123

Ontario (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Special thanks to TheSevenDuffs for this

A- Crystal clear honey colored pour. Finger width white head. Chunky lacing glued to the glass.

S- Super bright grapefruit and mandarin oranges. Wonderful pine resin and floral hops. There is a sweetness resembling honey or melon.

T- There is a strong pine and citrus bitterness. Sweetness of honey and alcohol with a slight spiciness from the rye. Alcohol is nowhere to be found.

M- Medium bodied, juicy with a dry finish.

O- Excellent dipa, as much as I love Brown Shugga this is a worthy replacement.

01-07-2012 02:23:21 | More by korguy123
BigCheese

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%

Really Really excited to try this, I think it was super fresh as Beer store had just got it.

A: Very clear, and much lighter in color than typical IPA. Definitely all about the hops here. Had to work to create a head, leaves some nice lacing though, head dissipated rather quickly.

S: Wow, incredibly aromatic, they must have dry hopped this like a mofo. I initially get a lot of real earthy/grassy hops, more than I've ever expirienced, after a few sips its aparent theres a ton of pineapple and sweet/sour citrus going on. A tad more malt presence would give it a 5.

T: Sharp piney hops flavor initially, devolps into a super juicy sweet citrus pineapple/lime flavor, finishes with a nice tart grapefruit bitterness. Right before finish theres a very earthy/dirt/herbal wave, a distinguished flavor I cant recall expiriencing. Lingering melon flavors.

M: Mouthfeel is really creamy and syrupy for what it is, great carbonation. Coats the mouth with hop oils and leaves the palate soaking wet. Alcohol and hop bitterness does do a number on the palate. Not a session beer. 2 max.

O: Really awesome DIPA. One of the best I've had. Very unique, I'm curious as to what was done to this beer to give it such a distinguishing profile. Crack for Hop heads. Lagunitas is the best bang for the buck when it comes to DIPA's.

Edit:
round 2 2013, I love this, great lacing, crazy aroma, session-able.

01-07-2012 02:16:09 | More by BigCheese
imyourhero21

01-07-2012 01:44:49 | More by imyourhero21
birchstick

Colorado

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a golden tigers eye color with a nice 1.5 finger head on it. The nose is a blast of hops - dank citrus, earthy hops explode out of this. Very aromatic and inviting. The taste follows suit with a barrage of hops on the tongue. Citrus, pine, some earthy onions and dirt. Really nice flavor profile. Mouth is medium body with decent carbonation. Really solid DIPA. This one runs with Pliny and hopsslam as one of the tops in this style. Given the price point and availability this is a no brainier.

01-07-2012 01:20:49 | More by birchstick
05Harley

New Hampshire

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%

Bottled on 12/16/11

Purchased @ Julio's Liquors, Westborough Ma

Price - $10.99/sixer

From the description on the Lagunitas website:
So this substitute beer for "Brownshugga" is a cereal medley of barley, rye, wheat, and oats... Full of complexishness from the 4 grains, and weighing in at 7.85% abv, Then joyously dry-hopped for that big aroma and resinous hop flavor.

A clear honey orange pour reveals a soapy one inch head with average retention. A steady stream of bubbles rise from the middle of the flared tulip glass and when swirled release another fresh layer of sudsy foam. A beautiful looking double with amazing clarity and big time lacing, very nice.

The nose is a fruit cocktail full of citrus hop aroma. Orange, grapefruit, pineapple and pine scent combine to make a pleasent smell.

The taste pretty much mirrors the nose with an added hop bite that's pleasing. A tropical blast up front followed by orange peel poured over a caramel malt backbone.

Mouthfeel starts out clean and a little syrupy with a medium body. The carbonation is surprisingly low considering the bubbles and the end reveals a pleasent bitter finish.

Overall I really dig this beer fresh. Let's get this one in the line-up please and get it to NH.

***Getting it here in NH (February 2013) @ 11.99/sixer @ Johnsons Market Place***

01-07-2012 01:13:33 | More by 05Harley
cdizinno

South Carolina

Presentation: poured into a tulip glass from a growler purchased at Green's off Piney Grove in Columbia, SC!!

A: Golden, clear, decent 2+ finger white head after a hard pour that leaves moderate lacing.

S: Pine groves abound! Smells like HOPSLAM and the anticipation of tasting is killing me right now.

T&M: Medium bodied with a slight thickness and resiny feel. Piney, tasty hops from the beginning to the end. Some background fruity tones of pineapple and mango. Finishes with an incredibly tasteful mild sweetness and hop oiliness that is "to die for."

This is so well balanced that I may have to reduce my rating on my Hopslam review. This Lagunitas Sucks is way more drinkable and that really Sucks because I will probably have to finish the growler tonight. This is a must try if you are a fan of IPA's!!! Way to go Lagunitas.

01-07-2012 00:01:44 | More by cdizinno
mgroothuis

3.5/5  rDev -19.7%

01-06-2012 23:51:36 | More by mgroothuis
JTSbeerislife

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

12 oz bottle, bottled 12/5/2011, well stored

Poured into British Imperial Nonic

Pours a nice ½” head, which quickly reduces to a thin but persistent cap.
Deep, yellow/gold with a touch of amber color, very nice. Very lively, small bubble carbonation.

Big aroma of citrusy hops and yeast, Lagunitas signature hops are noticeably present. Crushed orange peel with hints of lemon. There is some nice golden, toasty malt to round things out. Very enjoyable and lasts thru the pour.

Crisp, delicious entry on the palate of citrus hops and balanced toasty malt. Very refreshing. The hops carry over to create a very pleasant bitterness in the middle, along with the crisp acidity and lively carbonation produce an exceptionally balanced ale. The orange and lemon from the smell appear again. Full mouth feel. Just flat out delicious!

Wonderful elegant finish of citrusy hops, and malt. The citrus hangs forever.

This ale is so drinkable it’s scary! I just finished a bottle and I instantly want another one.
The taste is so fresh you would think it was just tapped. The 7.8% ABV is not noticeable at all, and for me this is an ale I would drink several of back to back. The citrus hops are very distinct in both the smell and the flavor. What a pleasure to drink!
Highly recommended!

01-06-2012 23:23:49 | More by JTSbeerislife
bigfnjoe

3.58/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured from a bottle into a Dogfish snifter

A- pours a perfectly transparent shade of yellow/orange with a big two finger white head that's very puffy. Looks perfect

S- citrus hops with a big of a bite to them....lovely

T- getting a lot of citrus, but it almost tastes like dishwater...no real bite to the hops at all. Disappointing

M- paper thin body. Again, very disappointing

O- you wouldn't think that a six week old IPA would fall off this bad, but this one has. Drink within a month, otherwise it's a waste

01-06-2012 22:07:52 | More by bigfnjoe

Washington

01-06-2012 05:09:18 | More by hopburster
david131

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

A- Pours an extremely clear yellow-orange liquid with only a couple of streams of rising carbonation. The bone white head is thin and settles to a splotchy covering.

S- Mango, pineapple, honey, pine, and some citrus. Very pungent and aromatic, but not as in your face as some beers of the style can be.

T- Exactly the same as the aroma but with a little more emphasis on pine and citrus. There is some nice malt sweetness to accompany the lingering hop bitterness.

M- Very nice carbonation but the body is a bit on the thin side. There seems to be something missing here.

O- This beer has a lot going for it, most notably the aroma, but it comes up a bit short on some fronts. That being said, this is a very tasty beer and I would gladly have another.

01-06-2012 03:52:33 | More by david131
Beerontwowheels

Maryland

01-06-2012 03:41:49 | More by Beerontwowheels
schultzm

01-06-2012 02:22:29 | More by schultzm
EgadBananas

Louisiana

Thanks to JJFoodie for the want!

Pours a translucent honey/orange color, with a light cream colored finger of head. Aroma of juicy citrus, light pine, tropical fruits and bread crust. Super nice bitterness up front, sweet and tangy citrus, tropical fruits. Lingers with a bit of bitterness. Slightly crisp body, with a slick oily feel. Good drinkability.

I've never had Brown Shugga', or any other IPA aside from Hop Stoopid, but this is definitely a good one.

01-06-2012 02:08:49 | More by EgadBananas
vitters03

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

01-05-2012 21:21:51 | More by vitters03
Reaper16

Alabama

4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

NOTE: I am reviewing this as an IPA, not a DIPA. I don't think this is a DIPA. So keep that in mind as you read this.

served on-tap @ Flying Saucer, Kansas City, MO, into a tulip glass.

Pours a very clear honeyed orange color. It's so filtered; I mean, there isn't any cloudiness to be seen here. Not a whole lot of head on this pour, but the lacing is A-OK.

The aroma on this beer is amongst the very best I've ever had. This is a seriously killer IPA aroma. It bursts forth with lush mango and pineapple and passionfruit and a little bit of orange and kumquat. It's so Goddman tropical! I can't even make out any malt aroma here, which is fine by me. This is so, so hoppy.

The flavor doesn't live up to the immense promise of the nose. It's much less overtly tropical. Flavors of pineapple and mango are still there, but they play a supporting role to the grassy bitterness this beer has. Cracker malts show up too in a supporting role. It all works together, certainly, but I do wish that it tastes as tropically as it smells.

The mouthfeel is pretty light for an IPA... which happens to be just how I prefer 'em. It's somewhere in between dry and juicy, but the important part is that it has a thin body.

Overall, this is one damn good IPA. As a Double IPA? Not so much. But as a regular ol' IPA this is a beer that Lagunitas should consider brewing more regularly. A damn fine achievement.

01-05-2012 07:28:53 | More by Reaper16
nickfl

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

A - Poured with one finger of white foam on a clear, copper colored body. The head settles slowly and leaves thick lace.

S - Grapefruit, orange, and pine with some strong toffee in the background.

T - Bready malt up front with orange, grapefruit, pine and pineapple hop notes. Some light caramel and sweet malt in the middle with more tropical fruit hop character in the finish.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - Nicely done, a very fruity IPA. The malt stays in the background, allowing the hops to shine through despite the relatively low bitterness.

01-05-2012 05:10:37 | More by nickfl
kylehay2004

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

Single finger head on a clear golden with very mild crimson hues body, head is white with tons of lacing. The aroma is mostly grapefruit, tropical and light pine. The flavor is almost perfect with a very nice musty hop flavor with citrus, floral and piney hops with the right amount of each to make an excellent tasting beer. Medium body and moderate carbonation. This is an excellent beer. Very similar to their something wild, just not as citrusy and more booze.

01-05-2012 04:57:06 | More by kylehay2004