Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

andyschaps, Jan 22, 2012

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

eorwar, Jan 21, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

Served On Tap at Jack Rose in Adams Morgan DC

A: The only boo part to this amazing beer. Light for an Imperial IPA. Very light orange lemon zesty haze. Frothy two finger full carbo head on this badboy.

S: This is the most tropical smelling IPA of all time!!! This a tropical pineapple dipped in grapefruit and smeared on a christmas tree pine cone. AMAZING NOSE! WOW.. Totally award winning!!

T: Tropical pineapple zesty grapefruit lemon rind. Sweet sugar pine sap. Orange rind pops that lingers nicely on the palate under a ripe ruby grapefruit. Subtle light Simone California hops almost cold mountain in hop character.

M: Full carbonation but light bodied which is unheard of in an imperial IPA on this sucker that plays on a nice lightly creamy backdrop to a bottom mouth suck finder leaving your throat lightly puckered but wet.

O: One hell of a unique imperial IPA. The hops don't seem to break 80 but I could be wrong (found it to be under 70). A delicious delicious summer IPA brewed in winter. I have to grab some to safe guard for hot summer nights. Lagunitas impresses once again!

challenja, Jan 21, 2012
4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

A-Pours clear golden straw color with a lot of fluffy white foam that leaves excellent lacing.
S-Very resiny smelling. Lots of earthy pine hops with some sweetness in the background.
T-Very pronounced earthy and piney hop flavors with a good malt backbone. Very resiny and bitter but there is some malt sweetness in the background.
M-Medium bodied, starts with a slight sweetness and finishes slightly dry. Good carbonation.
Overall, a very good version of the style. Despite the harsh, biting bitterness of the piney hops there is some balance of malt and thats what makes this so good. Not a very heavy beer either so I think I might be able to drink a few at a time when I'm in the mood for something hoppy.

adman08, Jan 21, 2012

jminch, Jan 21, 2012

Element1290, Jan 21, 2012

jwalden, Jan 21, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Beer has slight head retention with nice lacing around the glass. The smell however is remarkable - extremely fruity, citrusy with hints of pine and orange. The smell is crisp and extremely clean. The taste mimicks the smell. I enjoy a beer with a clean malt bill that lets the hops dominate. If you're looking for a nutty or malty bill this may disappoint on that front. The hops follow the smell with grapefruit, slight mint, and lemon with a balanced bitter finish. The overall mouthfeel does have a resiny oil like finish but nothing that would be considered offensive. Overall this is an exceptional beer for my style if you enjoy a clean, citrus type beer.

JHamm, Jan 21, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -19.7%

MystikCelt, Jan 21, 2012

mostpoetsdo, Jan 21, 2012

RWNewhouse, Jan 20, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Clear golden brown, moderately foamy head with okay retention. Pungent strong hop aroma with pine and citrus. Lightly piney and satsuma and tropical sweetness balanced incredibly well with a short linger. Thin, smooth and very light bite.

Fresh hop aroma, balanced, and very flavorful this beer has it all. Deceptively simple yet it showcases big flavor and is refreshingly addictive. Not a big bold hoppy beer like usual but has wonderful hop elements focusing on flavor rather than bitterness.

Bfarr, Jan 20, 2012

OneEyedJack, Jan 20, 2012
4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

Split sixer from Spartan spirits

A&S: The smell is primarily piney, but there is a very noticeable citrusness to it. The citrus really balances the pineyness. Lively transparent orange yellow colored beer. The head is and off white and pours smalls but hangs around at that same level (quarter inch). Decent lacing actually for the head.

T&M: A very drinkable pineyness. There is a curtain citrus tones to it. Its interesting, it’s a hoppy beer, but its present and not overwhelming. There is some sweetness, its not overly sweet like some doubles turn out. Medium bodied (surprising for looking so light) a bit creamy, and the carbonation is pretty high (huge bite)

O: Really good, if this is a substitute for Brown Shugga’ I guess I need to try Brown Shugga. I still don't think this beer is world class, but it's for sure another great Lagunita's brew.

minterro, Jan 20, 2012

My 2nd review.

Julian date - 364 and it's my 22nd birthday today so this is only 21 days old. Poured into a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a golden color with a small head. It fades but leaves a little lacing in my glass.

Smell: Smell amazing. Tropical fruits, hops, mango, peaches, watermelon, grapefruit. This is my favorite part about this beer.

Taste - follows the nose. Not as good as the nose but very close. Just hoppy with those mango/tropical flavors. Also has a slight malt/bready taste that balances it out and a bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Feels creamy but very drinkable. I don't detect the alcohol at all at 7.85% abv.

Overall: One of the best beers I've ever had - in my top 10. I'm sad that this will only be a seasonal since I got a single, then got a 6 pack, then got another 6 pack (this was part of the Leftovers). I usually always get new beers but I went back to this brew twice. It's that damn good. Here's hoping they make this a year round beer. If not, get it while you can. You won't regret it.

UPDATE:

Had this year's batch and it's as good as ever. My favorite IPA.

GameFreac, Jan 20, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Russian River tulip.

A: The beer is gold, pure gold. There is nice head of off-white foam that has very strong lacing.

S: Very strong, tangy tropical fruits along with aromatic pine hops and a hint of malt.

T: The flavor is very similar with tangy/astringent tropical fruits such as pineapple and mango. Pine bitterness also present, but the malt isn't really noticeable.

M: Very easy going medium body with a smooth mouthfeel and fantastic carbonation.

O: Lagunitas needs to screw up more. This is a fantastic Imperial IPA. Need to buy more while I still can.

distantmantra, Jan 20, 2012
3.95/5  rDev -9.4%

at long last i get round to this baby. 12 oz single from Fred Meyer, S.Salem $1.67 Clear orange body to the ale with a nice half inch sized white frothy head. Big strong,dank,heavy resiny hop aromas,herbal Again heavy hop taste but very well matched by the bready,caramel maltiness, but bright citric,lemon zest hops dominate in the end. Good on the palate keeps this heavy brew moving Another Lagunitas classic..to me though this is more a DIPA than an ASA

Reidrover, Jan 20, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

ewright, Jan 20, 2012
4.1/5  rDev -6%

A- Solid gold with a small amount of white head.
S- I've had beers before that might have had a hint of grapefruit in the smell but this one is the real deal. If I close my eyes it is as if I got my nose right over a fresh cut grapefruit.
T- Again with the slightly bitter grapefruit. It really hits in the back of the mouth. There is faint sweetness in the middle as well. Very interesting.
MO-Low carbonation. Another winner from these guys. There beers are among the most interesting reasonably prices beers around.

confer, Jan 20, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

A-a clear gold color with an off-white head and nice lacing

S-lots of tropical fruit aromas with some citrus and hints of malt

T-loads of tropical fruit and citrus with some pine accents with a nice bitter finish

F-medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a smooth feel

O-an excellent DIPA with great flavor and good balance

MDDMD, Jan 20, 2012