Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

4.28/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Transparent gold, one finger of off-white head. Bubbles rising throughout which is pretty neat to watch.

S: Citrus, papaya or mango, pine.

T: Pine, hops, a little malty. I can taste citrus fruits as well such as the papaya and a hint of pineapple. The pine really kicks in during the aftertaste. It tastes incredibly fresh with the hops.

M: Chewy, crisp, smooth.

Overall: This is a very good DIPA. It's not overpowering and it tastes incredible. I love all the subtleties that lie in the aftertaste and nose. Great beer that certainly doesn't "suck."

4.09/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had at Boulevard Tavern in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

A. It is a dark goldish, light brown color. It has a good deal of bubbles and a big foamy white head that leaves behind a good deal of lacing.

S. Very hoppy and spicy.

T/M. It is quite hoppy with a kind of pine spiciness underneath. Some citrus flavor. It is quite carbonated. Medium bodied. A milt malt taste.

O. To be honest, I found it to be very similar to the Lagunitas IPA, with a hint more of spice. And that's a good thing, because I love that brew. Very good.

4.7/5  rDev +8%

4.24/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The Beers of California

#60

Bottled Date: None

A: Golden orange with amber highlights and an off white head which towers after a moderate pour into my glass. The pillow of foam lasts leaving a bubble cling on the glass.

S: Fresh and aromatic with hops coming though strong as pine, citrus, and tropical on a soft cracker-caramel malt base. The malt is soft and sugar with and edge of burned grain.

T: The freshness of the hops hit the tip of the tongue as pine, citrus rind and faint pineapple with a nugget of dank which quickly transitions to a warming, earthy bitterness and biting coriander spiciness. The malt foundation is of crackers, burnt hay, and grain topped with caramel and honey which is stressed to the brink of collapse.

M: The feel is moderate and chewy with a nice hop oil linger which coats the mouth. The carbonation is supportive adding interest while not being overbearing.

O: It's all about the hops here but Lagunitas' "cereal medley" adds subtlety and complexity which elevates the palate. The unique personality of Sucks is intriguing but ultimately I need more fruit to balance the earthiness and bitterness in this brew. Sucks finally hit stores in the Los Angeles area and I am both grateful and honored to finally experience this Imperial IPA.

4.32/5  rDev -0.7%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 12/19/2012. Pours lightly hazy golden amber color with a nice 2 finger dense and fluffy white head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice dense foamy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of big grapefruit, orange zest, orange rind, tangerine, pineapple, lemon zest, floral, grass, light pine, and earthy hops. Fantastic aromas with great hop complexity, balance, and strength. Taste of big grapefruit, orange zest, orange rind, tangerine, pineapple, lemon zest, pine, floral, honey, grass, and herbal hop earthiness. Good amount of piney citrus bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus zests, citrus rind, pineapple, floral, pine, grass, honey, and herbal hop earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Fantastic hop complexity, with a nice malt balance supporting the big hops; and zero cloying flavors present after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a lightly creamy and very smooth mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a fantastic IPA. Great hop complexity with nice malt balance; and very smooth to sip on. A highly enjoyable offering as expected.

4.54/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into tulip.

A - Clear brilliant copper with a large dense white head.

S - Pungent grapefruit, pine, and earthy hops - exactly what I would expect from an awesome DIPA. Just a tad of caramel malt sweetness.

T - Intense waves of grapefruit and piney hops throughout, supported by a light caramel malt backbone. Light citrus notes and fresh mango evident. Finishes bitter with strong earthy hops and a lingering subtle breadiness.

M - Smooth, crisp, a bit sticky. Medium bodied. Dry finish.

O - A superb IPA. Glorious hops dominate from start to finish. A light caramel sweetness lends a little balance. Alcohol is masked well. I appreciate the low price point, considering the high quality. This is up there with the best of em.

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've finally gotten familiar enough with this beer to the point where I'm comfortable writing a review for it. For the attention-challenged readers on this site, I'll just say that this is kind of an amazing IPA. If you're a fan of hoppy beers, go forth and purchase in large quantities.

I got acquainted with this beer during my roadtrip to California. I had it fresh and it was pretty amazing back then. It was one of the most unique IPAs I'd had in a long time. The hop profile essentially consisted of ripe tropical fruits with a certain bit of "zing" to it, mango especially. The malt profile is... there, I guess, but it's almost unnoticeable, due to it being a perfectly balanced beer. It's not too astringent and it's never too malty, regardless of temperature.

I think what gave me a new appreciation for this beer, however, was when I had it after a Ninkasi Tricerahops Double IPA. I'd already had two bottles of Sucks prior to opening the Tricerahops (I was getting re-acquainted ok) and after that bomber was done, I decided it'd be a great idea to open another bottle of Sucks. To my amazement, Sucks not only held up to the Tricerahops, it actually overpowered it. It tasted exactly the same as it had prior to having the Ninkasi. That's the mark of an amazing beer, especially since Tricerahops had the upper hand in ABV and IBUs (supposedly -- definitely didn't taste like 100 of 'em).

Basically, friends, this is a beer that needs to be enjoyed as often as possible and as fresh as possible. I only hope that BC breweries make something of this caliber in the next five years. That'd be fairly desirable.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company