Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

halo913, Jan 11, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a bottle. Color is a nice golden yellow. A pretty aggressive pour led to about 1 finger of white head that disappeared quickly.
smell was great, tropical fruit citrus and pine.
taste followed the smell it had a nice sweetness that was well balanced by the bitterness of the hops.
overall a very good beer.

homebrewer88, Jan 10, 2012

czarzal, Jan 10, 2012

kmatlack, Jan 10, 2012
4.72/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from my tap into a Delirium snifter. (Thanks, Dee!) Tap was cleaned only a 2 days earlier.

A: Bright orange, very clear and clean in appearance. A nice finger of creamy head clings to the side of the glass leaving gorgeous and delicate Belgian lace.

N: Subtle bits of pine & pepper interweave with sweet grapefruit & tons of sweet glorious citrus.

T/M: Sweet and bitter play perfectly against each other. Notes of grapefruit, pine, tropical fruit and lemon grass dominate the flavor profile. A light and sweet malt bounces in; hints of spicy rye spice, and smooth wheat, as well the standard barley; quickly to be replaced by bitterness as the oily body sweeps through the mouth. The body is very light, especially considering the nearly 8%ABV.

This truly is one of the best IPA I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. It is crisp and clean, light but full flavored. Absolutely fabulous.

peacebone116, Jan 10, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +0.9%

A-pours a golden/soft amber color that is transparent with a white head with short retention that dissolves into a great lace around the glass
S-grapefruit,orange,honey, and pine
T-Nice sweet start with honey and caramel up front that is quickly cut by the hop bitterness with the citrus and pine flavors with a clean finish
M-medium bodied
O-excellent beer with great balance and flavor. This holiday brew did not dissapoint

atr2605, Jan 10, 2012
3.98/5  rDev -8.7%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges glass on 12/7/11
*From notes

A: A good pour yields a 1.25 finger white, tight head. Clean, slightly dark amber in color.

S: Fresh, citric hops pellets. Not even coned hops, I'm talking straight "face in the bag of pellets". Fairly one note, yet it's a nice note.

T: Fresh citrus. The mid is rounded with a touch of creamy golden malt, and the finish unmistakably screams "Lagunitas!" - just like every one of their beers.

M: Frothy stuff. It's well put together, and I do think this is part of the appeal. It's a bit bigger then most in the style, which perfectly suits the colder weather.

O: Lagunitas Sucks is a nice little beer. But it's waaayyy overhyped. Beer of the year? Are you off your fucking rocker? It taste like a rip off of Columbus' IPA, with a bit more body and that patented Lagunitas flavor profile. Would I have it again? Yeah...sure I would. But I've had better.

Rhettroactive, Jan 10, 2012

QuantumPint, Jan 10, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured into a tulip.

It's a deep, golden color with a white head. The head doesn't last too long, but it leaves remarkable lacing. Not much for bubbles in the beer.

It's sweet, the sugars smell caramelized. There is a peppery/herbal note to the hops.

This beer has a fair amount of woody/herbal/spicy hops. The malts are sweet, but not cloying. There is a nice amount of balance between the flavors.

It's medium bodied and feels bit fizzy, but this is not bad in this beer.

This beer is a winner. I prefer this to the Brown Shugga'. This should be the new winter seasonal.

TippySelenoid, Jan 10, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +5%

Pours a crystal clear orange with big white head that lingers and laces.

Smells of strawberry, mango, apricot, stone fruit and some honey from the sweet malt.

Taste is up front mango, pear, strawberry that fades into a slightly grapefruit yet still lighter fruit middle and ends on a bitter note with more pear and mango fruit. Similar flavor to Nelson hops but with far more going on...really rounded finish. Truly amazing hop flavor. People would be loosing it even more if smaller brewery X made this beer.

Lighter body with medium carbonation and somewhat dry work quite well. Alcohol does not come through.

If you like fruit forward hop character, you'll be hard pressed to find a better example.

TenHornsProud, Jan 09, 2012

Yvaithe, Jan 09, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a bright and clear gold, moderate cap of white froth, great rings of lacing. Scent leads with piney, resinous hops, can smell the Lagunitas from the first whiff, fruity notes of tropical and citrus come through, light spiciness, little in the way of malt sweetness. Taste reverses the scent and is more tropical and citrus forward, ample juicy and bitter grapefruit with touches of pineapple and orange. Decent resiny pine profile and faint splash of sweetness. Dry finish, a tad on the thinner side of medium bodied, more heft would be welcomed. Overall, been waiting to try this and it dint disappoint, a great tasting dIPA.

rfgetz, Jan 09, 2012

WestSideAmish, Jan 09, 2012
4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a miniature hefe vase.

Appearance-Medium gold in color with high clarity. Big sticky ivory colored head with good retention and some nice lacing.

Aroma-Up front big piney, resiny, juicy hops. Tropical fruit esters with pineapple and mango. Orange citrus undertone with slight peppery alcohol. Faint, sweet honey malt, but not much of this.

Flavor-Super fruity-with pineapple and mango right up front, followed by orangey citrus and slight lemon. Medium high hop bitterness kicks in in the finish along with resiny/piney hop flavor and light peppery alcohol. Little to no malt character.

Mouthfeel-Medium body with moderately low carbonation. Low alcohol warmth and hardly any bitterness lingering on the palate.

Overall-Solid DIPA-with great hop aroma and flavor, but somewhat lacking in the malt department. Still, Lagunitas always does a good job with their hops, and this is no exception.

plfahey, Jan 09, 2012
4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Nose Ridiculous citrus. Grapefruit and clementine with a tiny hint of pine. No real malt presence, just straight hops.

Appearance: Very little head, but outstanding clarity. 24 karat gold color.

Taste: Bitter and mildly astringent. Upfront it comes across as mild, but the finish is awesome. Super green and dank. Resounding hops oils. The initial flavor is a quick hit of orange marmalade. Smooth and easy to sip with a nice, dry finish.

Overall: Thoroughly enjoyable. I wish it was Brown Shugga, but Lagunitas clearly didn't half-ass the replacement. Quite a bit like their 'Sumpin 'Sumpin ale.

sjverla, Jan 09, 2012

KC9LDB, Jan 08, 2012
4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

YES. Yes. Yes. I've been looking for this beer for the last month. I saw a sixer of it at Majestic yesterday and I had to buy it. Needless to say, I was really looking forward to this and it completely delivered. Lagunitas should screw up more often. Poured into a (512) TWO shaped pint glass.

The beer is a clear honey orange. Head retention isn't great, but I do like the clarity of the body.

The nose is sweetly hoppy. Somewhat one dimensional on that, but pleasing nonetheless. Notes of pine and tropical fruit. Not as harsh as some IPAs, but very hop-centric nonetheless.

The taste is fantastic. Not overly bitter, but exploding with hop flavor. The main flavors I pick up are pineapple and pine. The honey character of the malt base complements the pineapple perfectly. Very light tastes that don't weigh on my palate and keep me coming back for more. Hard not to open the whole six pack at once and just down this stuff.

This isn't the most complex beer I've had, but it may be the best hop flavor. They just nailed the heck out of that. It's a bit light for an IIPA, but it seems to be exactly right for this beer. I'd keep this in my fridge at all times if I had the capability.

UTCengOwl, Jan 08, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

Despite the interesting name, and the even more interesting story behind the name, I've heard some very nice things about this limited offering and I'm curious to try it. The Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale is classified as an American Imperial IPA according to beerAdvocate, which isn't typically my style. But, I'll give any beer a try at least once.

The Lagunitas Sucks pours out a brilliant golden amber color, with plenty of off-white foam on top. As the head retreats it leaves behind quite a bit of sticky lacing, generally an indication I'm getting myself into something a little too hoppy for my tastes.

The nose reveals plenty of hops, but more reserved than just the typical grapefruit variety. There's also an interesting layer of citrus hops aromas, as well as some subtle floral hops. The aromas keep me guessing as well, something else in there is hard for me to put my finger on. I'm thinking its a some sort of bready or yeastiness, but I can't say for sure.

The flavors are, in no uncertain terms, incredible. The flavors follow the aromas nicely: lots of complexity in the hops, with something unique that I cannot nail down. There's a decent amount of hop-bitterness, but it's much softer than expected. The alcohol is fairly obvious for being only about 8% abv. There's a nice little bit of malts in the background, but the hops still take charge and lead the way.

Of the dozen or so winter releases I've had this year, so far the Lagunitas Sucks is my favorite. Which, quite frankly, surprises me because I've said time and time again that "I am not a hop-head." Maybe I'm slowly developing a taste for that bitterness all you IPA-lovers crave? Nah, I doubt it.

TheCorkStopsHere, Jan 08, 2012
4.1/5  rDev -6%

Bottle. Heard a lot about this and seemed right to be drank on New Years Ever. Pours a light medium colored copper color with a thick white head. Nice head retention. Some lace. Nice citrus aroma in the nose. Malty backbone with a nice citrus rind. NIce level of bitterness. Ends pretty crisply and cleanly with a minimal lingering bitterness. Dangerously drinkable.

kbutler1, Jan 08, 2012

aanth, Jan 08, 2012

buffs9, Jan 08, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

kirkse, Jan 08, 2012

qchic, Jan 08, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a clear yellowy orange, with a big thick three finger head. The smell is almost heavenly. It's very citrusy and piney. I really love the smell of this beer. Could smell it all day long. The taste is great too, though not as good as the aroma. The taste is very hoppy. It's a nice oily hop bite that starts if off. The bite wears off quickly and leaves a hoppy after taste that hangs around for quite some time. I almost think the after taste is just a touch off and actually detracts from the overall score for the beer (IMO). This is a great IPA. I really wish it was available year round.

pjs234, Jan 08, 2012