Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle to long trail pint glass

A: golden honey light totally see through with big fluffy white head that dissipates but leaves a thin layer of white foam at the top

S:fresh hops dominate the smells a nice floaral aroma there is almost a sweetness to it a wonderful bouquet only qualm is not super powerful or at least what I would expect from a DIPA

T:follows the nose fresh hops all the way super fresh in fact with a solid not overpowering taste there is hop bitterness that comes in the finish a really good representation of the style

M:really smooth oily and dangerously drinkable like seriously this stud is thin and feels like water I have no idea how it is 7.85% unreal and the flavors are still pretty strong

O: I'm impressed I liked this a lot better then Sugga so I'm pumped they brought it back really fresh and tasty dipa with great mouthfeel could work on the smell but buy it if you can

3.7/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2013 RELEASE: The most recent batch I tried - labeled 351 from the year 2013 - resembled dead grass and stale malts. I fear Sucks has taken a step back as of late, so I am dropping my score a point. Hopefully Sucks next year can bring it back to 4.75 territory, but this year's batch certainly wasn't one of the best IPAs in the world. Far from it.

2012 RELEASE: one of the best DIPAs in the world. tropical fruits galore, with just the right amount of malt backing. faint alcohol presence, and a surprising lack of bitterness -- significantly less bitter than Maximus or several other Lagunitas offerings. this beer sits alongside Pliny and Heady Topper as my favorite DIPAs. great job Lagunitas. 4.75

4.49/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Clear copper with one finger of off white head. Head has some staying power about five minutes. Lacing is moderate.
Smell is floral fruity hops. Some peach like scent also.
Taste is big fruity hops with a sweet malty back. The hops are bold and rich without excessive bitterness. The alcohol is well hidden by the big flavor profile.
Very full mouthfeel though a bit low on carbonation. Medium bitter finish not too dry.
Overall I really enjoyed this beer. The well balanced and bold flavors have killed any chance of doing a proper review of any other beers tonight. I only bought one to rate wish I had at least two more!
12-12-2013
Had to bump the numbers a bit due to getting fresh one. Appearance was considerably improved with a huge head, great aroma, and taste. Otherwise the review has been unchanged.

4.21/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Great color, flavor, and mouth feel.

Poured from a bottle into an English pint glass.

Strong head that dissapeared after a minute.

Great full flavorfull beer that definately lives up to the Lagunitas name.
They always seem to put out solid beers and this one does not disappoint! Thankfully they have made this a year round brew because it is solid up and down. My only regret is I bought this one in a build your own 6 pack and I only picked 1 of these up. If you're not afraid of a well rounded beer with an amazing taste, you should definately give this a try, you won't be disappointed.

4.26/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Smells of wonderful tropical fruits, mango and pineapple. Taste is similar, lots of tropical fruit (especially pineapple) but also spices, rosemary and even salt. Mouthfeel is nice, maybe slightly more carbonation would be perfect but it's pretty great as is. Great beer, super drinkable, just the kind of IPA I love.

8.6/10