1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

4.04/5  rDev -7.1%

22 day old bottle.

Pours out with a white head and golden clear body. Plenty of lace stickin around.

Smells slightly astringent with lots of pine and fruity hop character. Apricot, orange, and grapefruit.

Lots of hop character in this with flavor and bitterness. Citrus and resinous pine. There is a light malt sweetness to it. Medium body, carbonation, and bitterness.

After being put off by their regular IPA I had to try this since everyone is going crazy over it. Def worth a pick up.

4.69/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

It is hard to describe without characteristics. so best rating as If it were a beer judge judging, (and as a homebrewer, I can tell they can be cruel sometimes.) This is one of the best seasonal releases available, It has great appearance, clear, heady, smooth, hoppy, spicy, woody, definitely a cousin of brown shugga, But with a complex "lightness" careful, these are easy to drink!

4.49/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz tall on tap at the golden nugget

smell is pine, grapefruit, citrus, all dialed up to eleven. taste is like freshly squeezed mango juice. frothy, chunky feel; like a pulpy smoothie. lots of grapefruit, mango, pine, pineapple, citrus. some sweet buttery malts, and barely a hint of alcohol.

had this beer on tap today and it blew me away. had it later in the bottle and it wasn't as impressive. seek it out on tap.

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a Cigar City pint glass...can only assume its fresh

A: Pours a beautiful beautiful yellowish orange color with about an inch of head that lasts and actually sticks to the side of the glass in a befuddling pattern. I like it.

S: Smell is strong of grapefuit and piney hops. Mild citrus, lemon, bread, a little mango and guava also.

T: Similar to the smell, but you get more booze on the back of the tongue. Also more sugar, which is enjoyable to me as it cuts the alcohol a touch and brings forth the "exotic" fruit flavors....even some nectarine/clementine which I didnt get from the smell. Very interesting and enjoyable.

M: Medium mouthfeel, nothing spectacular here to set it apart from any other DIPA but it has mild carbonation which is fitting for the style.

O: Overall, I really like this beer. A great beer to have if you want to have 2-4 in a night, as I dont think I could do it for more than that due to the sweetness. I had some reservations after the brown shugga (which I really didnt care for) but this beer is great and balances the hops and fruity flavors like no other beer does. You wont find another beer to directly compare this to. Cheers Lagunitas, youve won me back...if you permanently "substitute" this for brown shugga I will never complain.

4.49/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a bottle of Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga Substitute Ale a few days ago for $1.99 at The Lager Mill. I really wanted to try this beer when it was first released last year, but it just didn't make it to my area so I made sure to grab a bottle to try when it hit the shelves, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date but I know it's fairly fresh. Poured from a shorter brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- I like the name of this beer, the label looks ok, but I like the way last years label looked more, this is one is pretty simple. It poured a nice bright yellow color that took on a slight golden hue when held to the light with three fingers of fluffy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left lots and lots of nice lacing. This is an awesome looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a huge does of hops that dominate the aroma of this beer and impart tons of citrus and tropical fruit aromas, it seems like it's the mango and pineapple that stick out the most. After that comes the malts, they are on the lighter side and impart a medium amount of sweetness with some bread, grain, and cracker like aromas. Towards the end comes a little more fruity hops with some grapefruit sticking out. The aroma is very good, it smells like a tropical fruit basket, I really like it.

The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with loads of hops that are very fruity, there's some mango, grapefruit, and pineapple, but there is also a nice and pretty noticeable peach flavor that goes pretty well with the other fruits and it adds another layer of complexity to this brew. After that comes the malts which have a slight caramel malt flavors to them and impart some grainy and cracker like flavors and have a medium amount of sweetness to them. On the the finish there's a pretty light amount of bitterness that might be the lightest I have found in this style and there's a tropical fruit and light cracker malt like aftertaste. This was a very good tasting beer, it was dominated by fruity hops with not much bitterness, I think someone new to craft beer might mistake this for a Fruit Beer, I'm really enjoying it.

M- Very smooth, a little crisp, slightly oily, medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer and a very good example of the style, while it didn't have the high amount of bitterness I normally find in this style it sure did have all that great fruity hops flavors and aromas, it was very enjoyable beer. This beer had great drinkability, it was very smooth, had tons of great flavors that held my attention, and the low amount of bitterness really helped the drinkability, I could drink quite a few of these when in the mood, fruity hops with out too much alcohol and too much bitterness, yes please! What I like the most about this beer was how awesome the fruity hop profile in this beer was, I don't think I have ever picked up peaches from hops before, I also really liked the appearance, it was really good looking. I would for sure buy this beer again, in fact I will be going back to the store to get at least a six pack, I will be looking forward to the yearly release of this beer and I highly recommend this beer to just about anyone, even if you aren't crazy about hops, you should still give this beer a try. All in all I was very impressed with this beer, it's everything that I hoped it would be and just a little more, it had one of the best hop profiles that I have encountered in a long time. Lagunitas did a kick ass job with this beer and I'm glad I finally got a chance to try it, this is one of the better beers that i have had from them, maybe the best, I was already a fan of Lagunita's but this beer puts them close to being my favorite out of state brewery, great job guys, I can't get enough of this stuff.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company