Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

CB2maltygoodness, Jan 03, 2012

JustinMatthew, Jan 03, 2012
4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance: Very much like liquid gold. Bright, clear, and a lively carbonation. Head is bright-white and leaves some solid lacing. Head dwindles to a thin cap on the beer. Sticks around for the duration.

Smell: Mango, pineapple, touches of mint and pine. Pungent tropical aromas mix with some nice citrus backing. Grapefruit flesh and orange sweetness. Malts are buried in the back. Slightly edge of bread crust and biscuit dough. Loads of hop depth and aroma.

Taste: Pine and mango in equal measure. Slick oily hops. Faintly bready malts on the back. It's all about the hops. Big resinous pine finish. Touches of mint leaf pop out after a few sips. Aggressively bitter on the back. Not attempt at balance, but it works. Orange pith and grapefruit zest.

Mouthfeel: Long finish. Flavors linger for a long time. Moderate carbonation on a medium body puts this right where it should be. Oily mouthfeel makes this incredibly smooth and easy to drink.

Overall: If this is an apology beer, I accept Lagunitas' apology. Loads of flavor and another winter IPA that I hope makes it in to regular rotation. If I could lock down a case of this and Celebration every winter, it sure would makes things a lot easier. Let's hope it's not just a one-off.

Goblinmunkey7, Jan 03, 2012

DarthGuitarHero, Jan 03, 2012
4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

Big thanks to inebriatedjoker for providing me the chance to try this beer....

Poured into my new CBS snifter...

Clear yet bright golden with a nice fluffy snow white head.... First thing I notice is the pungent aromas of lemon, orange, some pine needles and a little of the onion/garlic thing... A nice blend of hops without one in particular standing out... Bready malt aromas linger behind the rush of hops... Interesting...

Bitter rush of the pine and citrus hops immediately followed by the slightly sweet and bready malts used... Touches of the onion flavor here and there but doesn't dominate as in other brews.. Nice and bitter... Long slow oily finish with the bitterness fading to a nice citrusy residual....

I enjoyed this beer quite a bit and I have several more of these to crack open... I like the fact that the ABV is manageable and it isn't a 9% head cracker that you can only have a couple of...

Tilley4, Jan 03, 2012

aliving1, Jan 03, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

A- By the looks of it, it doesn't look like much. Clear, golden thin head that dissipates quickly. Above average lacing.

S- Great citrus hop aroma. Doesn't attack the nostrils like my very favorite IPAs, but quite impressive none the less. Nice grapefruit and a solid dry aroma.

T-DELICIOUS. I read so much about it, I am one of the later BAs on the Sucks tasting line. So with all the hype I really wasn't expecting it to live up. However, it's all there. Great double IPA flavor, big citrus hops, even some lemongrass and pepper.

M- Nice and dry, I could go for a little more tongue-burn in my IIPA but it's definitely good stuff.

O- I love Lagunitas and this is my new favorite Lagunitas beer. Going to be a go to beer for me while this is still available.

Nachojon, Jan 03, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -19.7%

duceswild, Jan 03, 2012

TheDudeRules, Jan 03, 2012
4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

The beer was poured into a crystal mug. The color was a medium gold with a creamy off white head building about one and a half fingers high. It did not stick around to long, but left good lacing.
Tho nose is a plentiful arrangement of flowery and citrusy hops. Lot of fruit and even some pine notes in the end.
The taste up front is full of fruit like pineapple, mango, peach and citrus. In the middle the malty notes mingle in and sweeten things up slightly, just to be balanced again by some earthy pine notes in the finish. Well done!
A really masterfully crafted Winter IPA. I hope I can find another six-pack!!!

Hopfenpeter, Jan 03, 2012

cccarson, Jan 02, 2012

I2uss, Jan 02, 2012

NSLPublishing, Jan 02, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

Was surprised to find plenty of 6-packs of Sucks remaining at one of my local liquor stores today. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a clear golden-orange color. The white head on it quickly dissipates.

S- Awesome. Tons of overall citrus notes, specifically mango and grapefruit. Also getting some pine aroma.

T- A nicely hop forward beer. I get lots of grapefruit notes, and the bitter hop taste sticks around for awhile. A slightly malted finish.

M- Light, bitter.

Good stuff, glad I came across some in my area after thinking it was long gone.

vic21234, Jan 02, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

What a hilarious bottle! So many little comments and insight, I really dig it. I poured this substitute holiday ale into a shaker pint.

Appearance- There was barely any foam on the hard pour. It mustered one finger width of bubbly cap, but it dissolved quickly to a slight ring with foamy bits scattered on the lid.

The body is a transparent gold with some neat auburn hightlights where the light hits it.

Smell- Wow, absolutely fantastic, hoppy nose.There is so much grapefruit and a candy sweetness that is more reminiscent of pineapple. And it is strong. Resiny-pine intimations are also present behind that great citrus pop.

Taste- The taste is not nearly as sweet, but I think that may be because the bitterness really kicks your mouth around. It does not give you the common courtesy of doing something like sorting out the sweetness on the palate.

After the bitterness has had its moment, grapefruit becomes very prominent. There is not so much pineapple, being replaced by more of the resiny hop oil flavor. There is only a slight biscuit malt impression near the end, and that is really appreciated.

This IPA can stand on it's own with the flavor hops, and letting the beer get too malty could have really affected the taste score.

Mouth feel- This is fine medium body and the creaminess is decent. It is not distracting, but it is also not knock - your - socks off good.

Overall- This is a very enjoyable IPA with a world class nose, no doubt about it. The flavors pull back ever so slightly on the palate, but they are still fantastic.

Yes, it is definitely worthy of the praise it has been receiving, and I would gladly have this again.

Pintofbrown, Jan 02, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Simply outstanding.

Tons of mango, grapefruit and guava notes in both smell and taste. Excellent offering by the guys and gals at Lagunitas. Please, do yourself a favor and search out this brew. Sorry for the short review, as I've been drinking these back to back to back.

DevilsCups, Jan 02, 2012

Centennial, Jan 02, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -15.6%

Bottle poured into a GI tulip.

A - quite a beauty of a DIPA. Color is a soft copper with hints of yellow. There is a white one finger head that formed on. The poured and settled to about a quarter as I drank the beer.

S - main notes are citrus. Smells of grapefruit with hints of pine hops. The malt backbone makes itself known as there is also a sweetness of caramel and orange that mixes with the hops. I also noted hints of lemon and wheatgrass

T - at first, there are notes of piney hops that blends well with sweeter flavors that keep this well-balanced. I note hints of orange and candied lemon. Medium finish that leaves a slight pine bitterness lingering on the tongue. Overall, a tasty but I would have liked to see a bit more of a malt sweetness as that aspect seems a bit thin

MF - light body with medium carbonation. Until the carbonation picks up as you drink, the MF at first seems thin and in general, I think a little it more body would help make this a great beer

O - overall, a solid offeing from Lagunitas, and definitely a good beer for them to throw together for the holiday season. Would like to see this around each holiday. It has good flavor, is well-balaced, and isn't too heavy. In general, the main aspect i find lacking is that this Abbas a bit thin in the body.

jeonseh, Jan 02, 2012
4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Very excited to find the last six pack of this at the local beer store. Not so excited when the same store offered it for growler fills a few days later! Awesome brew nonetheless.

A - Pours a beautiful clear golden color with about a half finger of some off-white head. The head quickly dissipates but there is some very nice sticky lacing. Very clear and clean looking pour.

S - TONS of citrus and tropical fruit. The amount of pineapple coming out of this aroma is amazing, it is definitely the dominant fruit. Plenty of grapefruit and citrus hops. Other tropical fruits are there as well, maybe some mango. A little bit of sweet bready malt is in there too but the hops dominate the aroma.

T - Much like the aroma. Definitely more of the west coast style IPA with tons of citrus hops, but there are some grassy hops in the finish, which is a tad dry and boozy. My only complaint is that the alcohol is not very well hidden at all, and there has been no attempt to hide it. Very boozy aftertaste. Very flowery and tropical/citrus fruit hop profile makes this one stand out from other DIPAs I've tried lately.

M - Medium body with spot on carbonation. Not too slick on the lips for a DIPA which is nice.

O - An outstanding hop bomb of a beer that is well worth 10 or 11 bucks for a six pack. The hop profile is incredible with low bitterness, just plenty of bright fruity hops. The level of booziness in the aftertaste is the only drawback on this one. Check it out!

BeerPhan86, Jan 02, 2012

imbuckeye, Jan 02, 2012
4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Look: Orangish yellow in color with a 1/2+ inch head and great retention

Smell: Very strong hop aroma. Lots of floral, pine and resin on the nose

Taste: Based on the nose the flavor is a bit of a let down. Still has the good hop flavor but just a tad bit muted compared to the nose

Mouthfeel: Just under a medium body and mildly carbonated and slightly bitter

Overall: A very good dipa especially for the price and availability to me. This one just lacked just a touch in the flavor department to make it a great dipa. Highly recommended

DarthKostrizer, Jan 02, 2012