Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

Zaphog, Jan 03, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

ber12, Jan 03, 2013
4.15/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Three to four fingers of generous head. The beer is a milky-clear gold.

S: Piney-fresh bitterness. It reminds me most powerfully of Russian River's Happy Hops, which is only a good thing. Touch of lemon zest.

T/M: Very nice! Rich, spicy, and full-bodied. Almost chewy, with excellent malt-hop balance. A hefty dose of the latter drives the IBU up, while still providing excellent fruity, citrusy, slightly herbal flavors. The endtaste is refreshingly not very dry and the aftertaste is lingeringly earthy hops.

O: A very nice IPA. I would have another or three, and recommend it to others. The aftertaste is a bit...off, but everything else is quite nice.

January 2014 edit. After hoarding these last season, and trying it again this year, I'm forced to up my Overall score from 4 to 4.5. Great beer.

AgentMunky, Jan 03, 2013

BeerNutz324, Jan 02, 2013

TonyTalon, Jan 02, 2013

blindpiggie, Jan 02, 2013
4.65/5  rDev +6.9%

We thought that Laguintas Sucks would be the perfect brew to review on this fine holiday. The beer pours a hazy, golden color with peachy highlights. A big fluffy white head provides a good amount of sticky lacing. Piney hops, citrus, honey, and caramel blend together to create a solid IIPA nose. Sweet caramel quickly fades into an incredible balance that is rounded out by a citrus hop bitterness in the finish. Crisp and smooth, the brew is medium in both body and carbonation. Don't let the name fool you, this one definitely does not suck.

Cheers!

phishsihq, Jan 02, 2013
4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Into 10oz snifter at Wild Colonial.

Great clarity, stunning in the glass. Active head spills over, snow white.

Nose is potent dank tank super hops. Smells like a big ol' bag of kind.

Taste matches. Super hop snap. Like diesel fuel, kerosene. Wowza. Little malt- this is total hop resin.

This is like the opposite of Lagunitas- while Maximus is syrupy this one is bone dry. Can't tell which one I like more.

ShogoKawada, Jan 02, 2013
4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A-Pours a gold/amber with a fluffy two finger white head that has good retention and sheets lace all the way down. Nice looking beer.

S-Smells like a hop bomb. Loads of citrus bombard the nostrils along with whiffs of pine resin. Not picking up any malt to speak of, just a boatload of hoppy goodness here. Smells great.

T-Hops abound with an explosion of juicy citrus, a bit piney. Picking up a slight bready malt backbone that in no way makes a play for dominance, it just acts as a nice complement to the bitter, citrusy hop bonanza going on. Not extremely complex, but very, very delicious and enjoyable. This is an excellent DIPA.

M-Crisp with ample carbonation, yet feels a bit slick and oily mid palate but finishes dry. Medium body.

O-This is the best beer I've had from Lagunitas. An excellent DIPA that I will enjoy again and again. A job well done!

Lerxst, Jan 02, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

johnsonni, Jan 01, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

carrollmel7, Jan 01, 2013
4.3/5  rDev -1.1%

A- golden orangish with a 1 finger off white head. Good retention. Really pretty looking DIPA

S- big citrusy hops. I get orange,lots of grapefruit and a little lemon. Hardly any malt present I the nose at all.

T- very citrus forward and a little leafy backed up by some really nice sweeter malt. The malt really surprised me after not getting any in the nose. A really well balanced beer.

M- a good crisp mouthfeel with a juicy almost creamy finish. Solid.

O- this is another excellent offering from lagunitas. They can do no wrong in my eyes. Just a really solid, well balanced DIPA. To have this as a seasonal right after brown shugga is a great thing.

cquinn17, Jan 01, 2013
4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

No bottle date, but its probably just a week old.
Pour into a standard tulip.

Appearance: Pours an absolutely vibrant yellowish gold with a thick, two finger pure white head. Great head retention and TONS of sticky lacing.

Aroma: HOP NUKE TO THE NOSE! Absolutely gushing with hop aromatics; Extremely ripe cantaloupe, big grapefruit and the usual citrus suspects. some very faint, although complex malt in the background; sweet biscuit and rye seed mostly.

Taste: HUGE hops right up front as expected; Grapefruit and candied oranges, faint honey dew and that amazing "burnt plastic/wet rubber band" taste that only insanely massive amount of hops will give you. Sweet cracker and biscuit-y malt on the back end. A whisper of spicy rye before the very dry, bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, medium to light body with moderate-high carbonation.

Overall: An absolutely fantastic example of a true to form West Coast IPA. Definitely straddles the line between an IPA and a Double IPA. I feel its closer to a well-hopped single IPA than a double, personally. I cannot recommend this beer more highly. I would definitely put this beer next to my other all time favorite single IPAs (Sculpin and Blind Pig). If you see this, buy it immediately. Truly is an amazing beer. Lagunitas desperately needs to make this a year round offering.

flayedandskinned, Jan 01, 2013

Beermister, Jan 01, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Bro's, come on! This is only an '88,' but Hercules is a '100?' Raul shakes his head...

Still cruzin SD and Raul just picked up a sixer of this at Crisp. Beautiful BEST Coast IPA with glorious notes of juice and tropical rain forest.

Raul straight doez this!

RaulMondesi, Jan 01, 2013

cycoduck, Jan 01, 2013
4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Having never have had this before I was a bit cautious with all the hype surrounding this release. The first thing I notice is the appearance of this beer, its a beautiful pale orange with a half inch cap that is off white. The nose is great, everything I look for in a well made DIPA, dank, sweet, floral, and fruity. The flavor profile is mango, oranges and molasses with a bitter beam of hops to balance the brew out, very well done, the beer gives up more complexity as it warms in my tulip. The mouth is fine, not to oily and not to dry, the finish though dissipates rather quickly. Overall I think this is a very well made beer from a very well respected producer that I will gladly seek out again.

OTB, Jan 01, 2013
4.7/5  rDev +8%

Really like the smell of this beer, fresh and full of that hop aroma that just got harvested. Light mouthfeel, sweet but dry finish. Alcohol level hides well under this incredible smell, one of their best beers and could become one of my favorites of all time IPA's

RockAZ, Jan 01, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance: Pours a classic deep golden color…transparent in nature, tons of bubbles bubbling up from the bottom…luscious white head formed and remained…tons of legs all over the glass…(4/5)

Smell: Tons of citrus hops…grapefruit, orange, mandrin, those little clementines in a bag for $6.99 and pineapple…sweet, pale malt…tons of citrus hops…(4.25/5)

Taste: Wow…I have to say, I expected a way more citrus dominant flavor, but that’s not the case…starts very fresh and very citrusy, much like the nose…flavors of grapefruit, orange and pineapple all apparent…but the sweet, pale malts come through and hold their own against all comers balancing out all those hops and that’s no small feat…this could easily have been over the top hoppy and still good, but the amount of excellent malt flavor here takes this brew to another level…piney resin flavor comes toward the end and lasts throughout the after taste…(4.75/5)

Mouthfeel: Light body, light to medium carbonation…very clean break after swallowing, hints of citrus zest and piney resin linger on the palate…very light…(4/5)

Overall: This is a solid brew…very citrus hops heavy with a solid malt backbone and a piney hops finish…very flavorful…I’m not sure how this is an afterthought brew for lagunitas because it’s better than most others’ IPA attempts…a wonderful surprise I found at my local Dominick’s that I couldn’t pass up, and I’m super glad I didn’t…if you see this brew, buy it and you’ll thank me later...outstanding flavor with a high ABV (that’s only noticeable by the buzz), this is a stand-out beer that I couldn’t recommend more…(4.5/5)

SerialHiker, Dec 31, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +13.8%

Re-rating the quick "had" review from earlier.
Not going to go into the details which everyone knows already about (that & I'm lazy)
I just had to give Lagunitas the credit they deserve - especially considering the back story as how it became Sucks in the first place.

This beer is amazing, as we all know, to say the least.
I went through six 6 packs - which is a hell of a lot, considering all the other beer I've been drinking this winter
Personally, I would rather keep this as a seasonal than a year round - simply because I want to be able to look forward to it, and not have to check bottles dates all year (they're hard to see).

But if you must have a traditional review:

A: It's an IPA - what do you want it to look like...OK it looks great!
S: Amazing, and spectacular!
T: Off the charts - fantastic - bravo!
M: About as good as you can get, save only Heady Topper (and I still don't know how they pulled that one off)
O: A+ (Please, please don't go year round with bombers!)

lonewolfcry, Dec 31, 2012
4.59/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into my HF over-sized wine glass.

Appeared a beautiful orange/gold completely translucent color with a two finger hearty white head.

Smell was potent - definite piney scents with some delicious juicy oranges and lemons.

Taste is delicious. You can absolutely punish these because they are that good. Perfectly balanced yet very bold in flavor. Love the citrus fruits present in this one. Perfect amount of sweetness and a nice bitter finish.

Medium mouth feel with solid carbonation.

Overall I absolutely love this beer, and love the fact that it is on the cheaper side. This is definitely going to be one of my go-to beers going forward. YUM.

TWStandley, Dec 31, 2012