Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
xnicknj

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

12oz bottle poured into tulip - thanks to scalene

Pours a clear auburn color with an orange hue. Frothy white head retains with a layering of white haze. Large rings of patchy film string across the glass.

Super juicy hops in the nose with an absolute explosion of fruits. Pineapple, grapefruit, tangerine, and oranges with pithy bitterness. A hint of sweetness with bready notes and slight warmth.

Really nice bitterness up front with aggressive citrus flavors. Grapefruit pith combines with orange peel and a dash of pineapple. Apricot hints with a decent malt backbone. Sweet bready notes with soft caramel. Finishes bitter and juicy with a light warmth.

Lighter medium body, well carbonated, sticky and juicy on the tongue. This is BY FAR the best beer I've ever had from Lagunitas - I want more!

12-11-2011 03:41:06 | More by xnicknj
areich6

12-11-2011 03:20:32 | More by areich6
Rutager

British Columbia (Canada)

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance. Pours a pretty clear, rich yellow gold with a hint of amber and 2 fingers of bubbly white head.

Smell. Nice citrusy hops, orange peel and persimmons. Pretty frikin' awesome.

Taste. Wow! Yellow grapefruit juice with a little pineapple and persimmon again. Nice easy bitter finish. Just a little sweet, but dry enough in the end. And what's with the abv?? Is that just a lie?

Mouthfeel. Medium body with above medium carbonation.

Overall. Blown away by this one. I have to say, I wasn't a huge fan of Brown Sugga but this, this is pretty sick. I don't think I've even tasted a persimmon in the last 10 years but it seems distinct in this brew. I need some more of this stuff. I was happy to see a single here in taxedupthepooper-Canada because $20 for 6 is just stupid. ...considering being stupid now.

12-11-2011 03:06:33 | More by Rutager
jackrodgers77

12-11-2011 03:02:12 | More by jackrodgers77
Tamarack22

12-11-2011 02:21:53 | More by Tamarack22
grover37

District of Columbia

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Picked up a sixer from D'Vines for $11. Poured into a DCBeer.com becker.

Appearance (4): Pours a clear, light gold with a finger and a half of sparse white head. A coating of lacing all the way around the glass at the top, but none further down.

Aroma (5): Wow, this is where the beer shines. An extreme West Coast hop profile with loads and loads of what smells like Amarillo. Smells like sweet, resinous, pine with tangerine, grapefruit, and passionfruit. Maybe a touch of lemon grass and some light caramel round it out.

Taste (4): Hugely fruity up front with the citrus notes from the nose dominating: mango, passionfruit, and lemon. The bitterness doesn't show up until the finish along with an overwhelming sweetness. The same citrus notes stay through the middle but are then dominated by the sweetness and a lingering pine. Some mango shows up here too, but is not huge like the front end. This is just too sweet for me, especially when it warms up, but the hop flavors are second to none.

Mouthfeel (4): A touch slick but still smooth and a little creamy. Medium side of full bodied and medium-high carbonation which makes those hop flavors shine.

Overall (4.5): This would be a near perfect beer if not so damn sweet; a common complaint of mine with Lagunitas. The hop profile is phenomenal; it should probably be more balanced considering the residual sweetness, but the hops dominate any malt bill. Will be drinking this one all winter hopefully; lives up to the hype, particularly for those that don't mind the signature Lagunitas sweetness.

12-11-2011 02:10:23 | More by grover37
Oboogie

12-11-2011 01:39:26 | More by Oboogie
Nightrain87

12-11-2011 01:19:28 | More by Nightrain87
Blanco

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Beer pours a light golden color with fluffy white head. The smell is hoppy, with tropical fruit and citrus notes. Very refreshing and inviting. The taste is a huge tropical fruit explosion with slight hints of citrus. The hoppiness is apparent in the taste, but almost no bitterness here. Body is light, mouthfeel is lively.

This is a fantastic beer. I went in thinking this was just going to be another good IPA and realized it was great. The tropical fruit flavor is awesome...like a Sculpin Lifesaver. Excellent.

12-11-2011 01:03:50 | More by Blanco
Zorro

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Got to love the sense of humor in the name of this beer.

Clear gold colored beer with a small white colored head.

Smells strongly of hops, mostly citrus scents. Strong grapefruit and lesser amounts of orange, lemon and kumquat.

Starts out strongly of citrus juice flavor and not bitter at all. Strong grapefruit and orange flavors with just a slight bitterness like you get from eating a grapefruit. There is no way to describe the taste of this without saying DAMN this is tasty! Layer upon layer of citrus flavor with no harshness, I suggest you replace your morning orange juice with this stuff.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall I repeat Damn this is Tasty! Think I will head out and buy all the six packs of this I can find.

12-11-2011 00:49:48 | More by Zorro
Atyoungberg

Colorado

12-11-2011 00:39:30 | More by Atyoungberg
RoamingGnome

Wisconsin

4.44/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Special thanks to N. Ketchum for the bottle. Happy Festivus buddy...

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A) Pretty clear looking amber. Not much head at all. Ample bubbles to look at. Not much lacing.

S) Flower petal, pine and grapefruit juice

T) Real nice malt/hops balance, the sweet transitions well to the bitterness, making you look forward to that next sip. There's a bit of cracker here, with pine and citrus. Just a hint of alcohol as it warms.

M) This is a very smooth medium bodied beer, with a good amount of carbonation. A nice soft finish awaits you with a pleasing aftertaste.

O) As far as seasonals are concerned around Christmas, this one is right up there with SN Celebration in my book. I would echo what others have said about hoping this one is available again next year.

Addendum) 1/9/13 I've had this brew on tap and out of the bottle this year, and I realized I shortchanged it in appearance and aroma. I adjusted my rating accordingly. This is a fantastic beer, and I love drinking it.

12-11-2011 00:31:23 | More by RoamingGnome

12-10-2011 21:37:24 | More by Brown120
hoser

Alberta (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Wow, never have had a beer clear my sinuses before. Another awesome brew from maybe the masters of using the hop oil.
If I could wish for one thing in this brew is a little more of a malt background. Have some Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Wild in the fridge will make sure to compare the two before they are gone. Once again Wow!

12-10-2011 20:54:51 | More by hoser

brealbg

12-10-2011 14:13:31 | More by brealbg
chilly460

4.28/5  rDev -1.8%

A - Amber body head with gold highlights. Pillowy two finger head dissipates a bit, but stuck around well. Plenty of lacing rings the glass to the bottom.

S - Strongest aroma I've gotten in quite awhile, big hoppy nose with oranges, mango, and pineapple. Some dry bread in the background.

T - Right there with the smell, this thing is like a big bowl of citrus. Sweet orange is the prevalent flavor, rich juicy deliciousness. Some more robust mango in there too. Finishes with a bit dryer pine hoppiness.

M - Solid for the style, medium body, decent carbonation.

O - The buzz about this beer is correct, huge aroma and flavor profile, I hope they continue to brew this baby.

12-10-2011 13:37:11 | More by chilly460