Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
4.68/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Golden with a fair amount of carbonation. Plentiful white head and loads of sticky lace. Aroma has lots of grapefruit and pineapple. Secondary to this is a bit of malt sweetness and a hint of alcohol in the background. Resinous pine balanced nicely with a slight sweetness. Some of the alcohol is noticeable at the end. Despite the strong hop aroma, it finishes with only a medium amount of bitterness and is somewhat dry. Medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation.

4.29/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours marmalade orange with a three finger white head, with good retention and lacing. The aroma is inviting with grapefruit, pineapple, and peaches.

Tastes a little less sweet than the aroma suggests, but still has a very nice combination of sweetness and bitterness with grapefruit, pineapple, peach, pine, and citrus zest.

Medium bodied with modest carbonation, and a grapefruit pineapple aftertaste. Very nicely made. I could buy this on a regular basis, just like I do with Hop Stoopid, and a Litttle Sumpin' Sumpin'.

4.38/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

As soon as this is opened, floral hops and citrus explode onto the scene. Dig my nose in and get delicious whafts of papaya and weed mon.

Tastes of grapefruit rind, cracker-crust middle, finishing off with floral hops, bong resin and pine. A lot going on here (wowwy) and yet, maintains its complexity. Extremely well-balanced with the malts--one of the best in it's class.

Mouthfeel is sticky sweet with a dry hop finish on the back of the tongue. You'll want more.

Love this shit!!!! IMO, this hop profile is askew from the rest of their lineup which I think tends to be harsh. What makes this so great is the fact it's in six-packs at an affordable price. I'll stand this right up there with FFF ZD anyday. This is masterfully constructed and super easy to drink. As they say "Doggone good".

3.9/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This one is great!! I’m impressed indeed, YUM!!! The last couple of Lagunitas I’ve had have been less than desirable compared the NW rivals, espacially the growing WA beers!!! Appearance is OK, pretty clean, good lacing... Much lighter than the typical DIPA... I think what make this beer so good is the fine line of not over-doing ’it’ in any particular area (hops, fruity-flavor, pine/spice, carbonation, and last but not least, alcohol level). VERY refreshing and will get again and...…Goin’ to look for a tap ASAP!!!

4.3/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.34/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Serving Type: Bottle

A: Beautiful head retention. Starts with a wonderful billowy white head with ample lacing throughout. Dark golden hue with good carbonation that creeps up to the top - wonderful.

S: Pine, Grapefruit, Clementines, Biscuit malt

T: Citrus, honey, ginger snap

M: Light but boy the head is super silky great mouth feel

Overall: Get it,

3.6/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Smells piney, grapefruit, a little funk. Primarily the pine/citrus hops.

Pours cloudy orange/peach/amber. Head dissipates fairly quickly. Not much head. A little fizzy.

First taste: orange/grapefruit. Then hops. Long hop finish. Very bitter. Very little malt flavor. Second sips reveal how sweet the beer is. This is almost the opposite of a stout. It's flavor is light, fruity, and hoppy. What's surprising is that Its body is round, a little heavy.

All in all, it's an interesting experiment, but I probably wouldn't buy it again. I do like heavy sipping beers, and I do like refreshing hoppy beers, but usually not in this combination.

4.17/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a 12 oz bottle into a tulip.

A-A normal pour produces about two fat fingers of off-white head. The foam hangs around for a while and leaves some decent, chunky lacing on the glass. The beer is cloudy and straw colored. A few Champagne-like streams of carbonation are visible.

S-The smell is a total tropical hop bomb. I get mango, mandarin orange/tangerine, and pineapple mostly, but also a touch of resin and pine. There is a little bit of bread and grassy straw, too, but this thing is a sweet smelling monster-hopped special.

T-The taste has a huge tropical hop component that provides most of the same flavors noted above, but there is also a pretty decent hit of doughy bread in there. I wouldn't say the bread flavors counteract the tropical hops, because both are quite sweet, but it does provide a little structure. Very little bitterness. Slightly sweet alcoholic punch.

M-The feel is oily and smooth with lighter carbonation and a medium-weight feel.

O-A totally fruit-forward-in-your-face hop bomb of a beer. And I mean that in the best way. This a great-tasting IIPA style beer, but brace yourself for some sweetness and fruity hops. I enjoyed it, but I couldn't handle more than one per evening. Cliche review comment: this beer is really good, but lacks the balance to make it great. (See Pliny the Elder.)

4.13/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance: Golden typical IPA look. Lacing was surprisingly absent. Very thin head but possibly due to large alcohol content.

Smell: Kind of an orange peel citrus hoppy aroma here. The exotic fruits definitely dominate the aroma, with some hop character.

Taste: A lot of the Lagunitas Ales and IPAs have a very similar dry hop character. I get a lot of this with this beer. For me, it masks many of the other things happening in this beer. The front of this beer is a very sweet hop character but then is quickly hidden. The dryness sticks on the palette along with a darker hoppy taste.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, dryness is there but has a pleasant taste to it.

Overall: I had high expectations for this brew but was a little disappointed. Lagunitas makes some very solid beer and I would say this one is just that, solid. A little unique tang for an IPA, worth a try but don't go out of your way for this one.

4.77/5  rDev +9.7%

Served from the bottle into an oversized wine glass

A- Poured a very clear light golden color with a big bubbly head, nice chunky lace

S- Huge aromatic pungent and juicy grapfruit, lots of pine, pretty dank, lots of hop sweetness. Smells like concentrated hops.

T- Tons of sweet tropical mango hops, pungent grapefruit, a little dank, and pineapple hops. Some cotton candy sweetness. This tastes like wonderful sweet hop syrup, no hop bitterness what so ever.

M- So so smooth, medium body, soft carbonation, dry finish

O-This is a sweet tropical hop paradise. Such an amazing and easy to drink beer with no alcohol presence. I have got to get more of this one.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company