Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Thanks to UCLABrewN84 for this one.

Bottled on Nov 11th.

Poured into an actual glass! a 1970s Guinness 8oz mug/stemless wine glass looking thing.

Pours golden with just a hint of orange. 1 finger head that disipates quickly.

Smells of tropical and citrus fruit hoppy goodness.

Taste is a little more earthy than the nose, but the citrus and tropical hop flavors are still in there. Not much malt coming through, big bitterness and a touch of alcohol on the back end.

Mouthfeel is sharp, seems almost over carbonated even though it poured with very little head.

I had been wanting to try this one and am glad I got to. I would have bought several 6 packs of this if it were available here.

bastu, Dec 23, 2011

sincereNc, Dec 23, 2011

rondufresne, Dec 23, 2011

jharkins07, Dec 23, 2011

KEL, Dec 23, 2011

bsuedekum, Dec 23, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a tulip glass
Apperance: golden in color with a big pillowy white head. Lacing is decent.

Aroma: Hops, resin, pine, and grapefruit. It has a true westcoast IPA aroma!

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation.

Taste: Wow! This beer lives up to the hype! It is not extremly complex, it is also not a tropical fruit bomb! There is a taste, however, that keeps me wanting to chug this beer. It has a very unique taste that is… how can I say this.. well rounded! This beer had a great impression on me!

Overall: A great beer! Lagunitas needs to make this a regular in their line-up! Perhaps they can call it “Lagunitas Sucks Year-Round!”

ChanChan, Dec 23, 2011

RocAFella1, Dec 23, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

Bottled Dec. 5, reviewed Dec. 22. Poured into a tulip.

Lightly golden in color, very clear and clean. I like clear beers, for some reason. Head is small, but leaves some lacing.

Smell is all tropical, with dry notes of mango, pineapple, passion fruit, some grapefruit. If I were blindfolded, I might think this smelled like freshly squeezed fruit juice.

Flavor is juicy and fruity. Light malt backbone provides
sweetness but no real flavor, letting a layer of citrus peel and tropical fruit flavors take over. The pineapple/mango/etc. profile dominates, with little of the typical citrus/pine interplay. Not very bitter, to my tastes. Sweet at first, but finishes crisp.

Mouthfeel is medium-heavy, feeling sweeter than it is before finishing somewhat crisp.

Overall this is a high-quality IPA, especially for the price. Though everyone seems to worship the tropical fruit qualities of some IPAs, in reality this flavor reminds me immensely of (high quality) fruit juice, and I could only have maybe two of these beers in a row. Great example of that hop profile, though.

musicforairports, Dec 23, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -7.6%

Thanks to burns5150 for this...
Appears a transparent gold with a fluffy white head and thick collar. Scattered bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of grapefruit, pine sap, herbs, and a touch of green onions.
Taste is of the aromas with a flavorful bitter. Nice hoppy flavors as the front beat with citrus and herbs.
Mouthfeel is thick, hearty, sweet, and bitter yet balanced.

weeare138, Dec 23, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured into a Mother Earth (NC) Snifter
Nice thin head with great lacing
Smell - There is no way this beer tastes bad with a nose like this, hoppy, citrus, fruit
Taste - follows the nose - citrus, a little west coast IPA flavor
Mouthfeel - is more like a west coast IPA, resin, oil,
Overall - By far my favorite offering from lagunitas. I would never turn this one down!

HopDiggityDawg, Dec 23, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

A- pours a golden amber color with uncanny clarity. A finger and a half of off white head emerges from an average pour. Good head retention.

S- huge citrusy hops of tangerine and grapefruit peel blend with tropical fruit notes of pineapple an mango. Floral hops on the finish with a whisper of dry biscuity malt.

T- starts off with super juicy tangerine and grapefruity hop flavor with notes of mango and pineapple in the middle. Dry biscuity malt with a chaulky characteristic. Finishes dry with a subtle hop bitterness and floral notes that lingers on the palate. This beer is hops, hops and more hops!

MF- juicy slick mouthfeel with a light medium body and average carbonation.

D- quenching and superbly drinkable.

Overall one hoppy mother that more than makes up for the lack of Brown Shugga'... D-lish!

Viciousknishs, Dec 23, 2011

mmcnaughton, Dec 23, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a brandy snifter

Pours a golden orange with a foamy 1 finger head that disappears to a thin sticky lace around the top of the beer. On the nose, your senses get attacked! Big piny hops, over-ripen citrus fruits, mango, tangerine, grapefruit. Sticky tobacco and marijuana scents in midst of the fruit. Again on the taste, sticky grapefruit, citrus hops, sticky and murky with a feverishly bitter aftertaste that just absolutely hits the spot, wow! Light to medium on the feel and body, bitter, deliciously drinkable, not much malt backbone as noted by other reviewers. This beer is fucking awesome! Make more of this shit and send it my way, im more than fine with having this over BS anyday, superior IPA.

gabedivision, Dec 23, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: A steady pour yields a finger of creamy off-white foam atop a perfectly clear, bright amber body. Retention and lacing are both moderate. Nice looking brew.

S: Sweetly fruity hops dominate: sugary grapefruit, tangerine, and orange. Not much else is going on, but I love the citrusy punch.

T: Citrusy hops jump out right away, followed by some yeasty stone fruit, a touch of herbal spiciness, and some faintly sweet, biscuity malt. Solid bitterness finishes things out, although there's definitely a bit of sticky, almost syrupy citrus sweetness on the aftertaste. Very tasty indeed, but a little over the top with the syrupy qualities.

M: Medium-bodied with a high dose of rich, creamy effervescence. Decadent.

O: This one was a treat, to be sure, but I've got to say that it didn't quite blow me away quite as much as I was hoping for based on the hype. I'll enjoy the heck out of the rest of the sixpack, though, and will definitely keep an out for Leftovers on tap; I feel like this would have been significantly better a few weeks ago.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Dec 23, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -9.9%

Short and sweet. This is a nice IPA with grapefruit, tangerine and pine on the nose. Citrus and pine dominate in the beginning with enough bready malt coming in to provide sufficient balance. Alcohol is well hidden.

Kinda tastes like a Christmas tree smells, and just in time for the holidays. Oh come all ye faithful!

RandyV, Dec 23, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

On tap @ Coles.

A - Light to medium orange with a small amount of white head that very quickly disappeared.

S - A huge grapefruit aroma dominates the nose. Some pine and a sweet malt backbone add some additional layers to the nose. The grapefruit is no fresh and juicy. Subperb.

T - Huge bitterness up front with grapefruit and pine. A decent sweet malt backbone provides some balance and a touch of caramel and bready notes. The grapefruit flavour is not as abundant as the nose indicated but is definitely present. About half way through the grapefruit flavour begins to fade and only the bitter remains from the hops, which is a little disappointing.

M - Medium body; moderate carbonation.

TheSevenDuffs, Dec 23, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Clear golden color with a small, and short-lived head that settles to a thin cap. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left on the glass.

Plenty of hop aroma. Mostly grapefruit and orange rind. A lot of citrus packed into the smell.

Loads of hop flavor and bitterness is not overwhelming. Grapefruit and a resiny dankness dominate. The malt does no more other than being a hop delivery device. Not the most exciting DIPA but delivers good flavor.

The body feels light for an almost 8% ABV beer. Nice carbonation and texture.

A good but not great DIPA. Did not appreciate the dankness as a compliment to the grapefruit.

morimech, Dec 22, 2011

dblab33, Dec 22, 2011

zapahoppa, Dec 22, 2011

Luchman, Dec 22, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -38.1%

Passed this one over a number of times, but after seeing all the reviews, I made sure to grab a pack before it disappeared.

Ay yi yi. The hell. I haven't gone and checked, but this thing has got to have Summit in it. Brutal taste of garlic/onion. Perhaps some grapefruit behind it, but I can't get past this garlic/onion taste. I must be uniquely sensitive to it, because if everyone was tasting what I'm tasting, there's no way this thing would be anywhere near an A rating.

Mouthfeel is fine. But that onion/garlic is a deal breaker. Reminds me of Abrasive. Another extremely highly rated beer that was just a pure garlic/onion bomb. Really not enjoying this quirk in my palate that makes those Summit flavors show up so strongly.

Mavajo, Dec 22, 2011